Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-wheel-of-time-sanaa-hamri-season-2-director-executive-producer-1234834343/

I don't know anything about Empire, was it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I found Empire's first season quite good, but the quality of the show imho nosedived after that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-wh...n-2-1234840887/

Mat's actor decided not to return for season 2.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That's an ill omen. Even in the best circumstances, recasting one of the main characters could kill a show. Finding out about this before the first season has even aired is going to make watching it weird

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GreenNight posted:

Hmm.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-wh...n-2-1234840887/

Mat's actor decided not to return for season 2.

It doesn't say that Barney Harris decided not to return, only that he won't be returning. Could be that there was an issue with him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, not really worth jumping to conclusions without more information. a whole host of things could be the reason for it. likely if the series continues it'll be a long haul and maybe the actor got cold feet about the prospect of that. dunno!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh, that doesn't inspire anything good in me. Curious if there will be any more info out of NYCC in October, WoT will be featured at the amazon panel that Friday.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it'll be weird if they refuse to acknowledge anything about it so maybe they'll at least give a reason if it's something benign

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Johnny Joestar posted:

it'll be weird if they refuse to acknowledge anything about it so maybe they'll at least give a reason if it's something benign

I don''t know, if it was benign like he got some huge offer somewhere else there'd be news of that. Hopefully this doesn't hurt anything, but like someone said it is going to make the first season really weird.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Even if it's a legit reason, recasting one of the pillars of the books in season 2 sucks. I completely understand but you know what I mean.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

seaborgium posted:

I don''t know, if it was benign like he got some huge offer somewhere else there'd be news of that. Hopefully this doesn't hurt anything, but like someone said it is going to make the first season really weird.

It's not like it hasn't happened many times before. Leaving aside things like Batwoman where it's a new character, the most recent example I can think of was Daario Naharis getting recast in Game of Thrones. You're right that it'll be a bit odd seeing a central character replaced after a whole season, but if for any reason on anyone's part it wasn't working out, in the long run it will be better.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Looks like some named Dónal Finn is doing the recasting in season 2.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wheel-time-d-nal-finn-220028315.html

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I prefer recasting to the terrible cut and paste job they did to remove a sex pest on the Expanse.

Edit: should be clear I am not saying anything sex pest like happened here.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
roseanne survived, we will too

also Donal Finn sounds like an emonds fielder name already so, good sign

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mat is going to finally get that dagger taken away from him and no one is going to recognize him after

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That would be a really fun way to play off the recasting

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Nihilarian posted:

Mat is going to finally get that dagger taken away from him and no one is going to recognize him after

Yeah, of everyone to possible have to recast this is the best possible character at the best possible point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Some of the Forsakens maybe

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Quoting myself from the Book Barn thread.

I think the new guy looks more like my head cannon for Mat anyways. So I'm fine with it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Matt was barely recognizable as a character after book 1 anyway, I'd say its apropos.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

th3t00t posted:

I think the new guy looks more like my head cannon for Mat anyways. So I'm fine with it.

My brother said the same thing!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

th3t00t posted:

This was also kinda my feelings so hey lets hope it works out. Still hype for this thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's the thing about TV shows. poo poo happens. You lose actors, you lose writers, you lose directors, and you can even lose showrunners. Even shows that are considered classics go through it. Tasha Yar, anyone? How about Crusher -> Pulaski -> Crusher? Or Ensign Ro? Hell, my favorite show of all time, Babylon 5, went through so many "main" characters it was like a carousel for awhile there. Unless your show only goes one season, odds are you'll start to lose actors/characters over time. That's just how these things go. :shrug:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Interesting choice to bring the phallic subtext of the White Tower right to the forefront by giving it some big old balls.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jng2058 posted:

That's the thing about TV shows. poo poo happens. You lose actors, you lose writers, you lose directors, and you can even lose showrunners. Even shows that are considered classics go through it. Tasha Yar, anyone? How about Crusher -> Pulaski -> Crusher? Or Ensign Ro? Hell, my favorite show of all time, Babylon 5, went through so many "main" characters it was like a carousel for awhile there. Unless your show only goes one season, odds are you'll start to lose actors/characters over time. That's just how these things go. :shrug:

I'm not worried about the actor change, but you can't compare "live" series losing actors and thus writing a new season's plot to account for the change (by potentially just writing out the character) with a book adaption suddenly having to adapt for one of the main characters having to switch actors. It's not like you can just cut Mat from the story.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Actor changes are incredibly jarring for most people including myself, so this news is very disappointing.
Maybe they can pull a Paul Walker and special fx the new guy's head and voice onto season 1 before release, really make use of that Amazon budget.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Torrannor posted:

I'm not worried about the actor change, but you can't compare "live" series losing actors and thus writing a new season's plot to account for the change (by potentially just writing out the character) with a book adaption suddenly having to adapt for one of the main characters having to switch actors. It's not like you can just cut Mat from the story.

Yeah, Babylon 5 didn't recast Sinclair, it introduced an entirely new character and rewrote a decent chunk of the plot around him.

For Mat, well ... :shrug: New guy has brown eyes, which is a good sign?

(Really, it's an issue I have: I don't know any of these actors, Pike included. So I'm kind of judging everyone purely on looks, because that's all I had for some most of them. And looks aren't the most important thing to me.)

I guess I'll just try to not get too attached to the first guy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, Babylon 5 didn't recast Sinclair, it introduced an entirely new character and rewrote a decent chunk of the plot around him.

They did recast Na'toth, though. And in the end they had to write the character out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

They did recast Na'toth, though. And in the end they had to write the character out.

I never really noticed that they recast her when viewing the show (Narn prosthetics are still some of the best in sci-fi), and it's not like they didn't have ample opportunities to write her out. What with the whole occupation, it just felt very natural.

In any case, we'll just have to live with the recast. They can deemphasize his role in the first season, and the initial spin was that we'd get it mostly from Moiraine's perspective anyway. If they do cut out Caemlyn, one of the two places where Mat gets a bit more screentime, it will be even easier.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nihilarian posted:

I figure it'll be that or they'll massively speed up Moiraine's arc and transform Mat as part of the snakes and foxes place stuff.

Still not a very good sign.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

given the kind of things that would prompt a studio to recast someone they intended to be a main character for many more seasons, there's a good chance that it IS a good sign that they immediately recast him

or maybe something totally innocuous happened and no one is saying what it is for some reason, but seems less likely by the day

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1428117141388148742?s=19

This is an interesting perspective. I'm trying to think of fantasy adaptations that have had young leads and don't feel like YA. How old were the Winterfell bunch meant to be when that series started? Although I guess they weren't so much the leads really compared to Sean Bean et al.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GoT aged the kids up a few years each as well. In the books Robb starts at like 15 and Bran at 8

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, aging people up a few years is probably for the best if only because it feels way more fitting

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah Faile really shouldn't be 15

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

It does put her behaviour in the later books in more perspective, but for the show she should match Perrin's age at least.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rarity posted:

She's the same age as Elayne and Egwene, 17 when the series starts, according to the wiki at least

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
They aged age the kids in Game of Thrones because Danaerys was like twelve in the books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1445826240749867009?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I'm down with this. Show me the pics!