Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NuclearPotato posted:

Oh sure, NOW you all announce the larger MacBook Pro with the other features I was looking for, just a day after my Air gets shipped out. :vee: I was not aware that charging the Air would require taking up one of the other USB ports; that really bites.

I’ll probably grab a cheap 1 TB drive for Time Machine; I imagine a HDD should be perfectly suitable for backup purposes.

Don’t worry too much though, my M1 Air is still just as awesome as it was the day I got it. Seriously such a cool computer. Fanless lightweight thing just sits there for hours running whatever and rarely struggling with any of it. It handles Logic so smooth it’s almost weird sometimes.

Just grab an Anker hub that fits your needs and keep it around, works for me. I don’t like dongle bloat but I keep it on my desk and it’s no big deal.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
So I'm running my guitar through a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 into Amplitube instead of using an amp (because my old amp sounds terrible) and sometimes when music to play along to (also through my audio interface to my headphones) I'll get some crackling, which I know is to be expected as my sample size is just too small for two audio sources at once?

But what I don't understand is that sometimes the output of my guitar will stop entirely and I have to replug either my guitar or my audio interface itself.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Crackling usually means your buffer is set too low for what your CPU/bus/interface can handle. Does raising the buffer in Amplitube or your DAW fix the crackling (even if raising the buffer results in unacceptable latency, still try it just as a troubleshooting step)? One thing to try if this is the problem is making sure you have the latest drivers installed from Focusrite (try completely uninstalling the previous version too). If you're on Windows, there's also ASIO4ALL, but I'd think the Focusrite drivers would be better. Another possibility is mis-matched sample rates, e.g. the interface is set to 48k while Amplitube/DAW is set to 44.1k. That's another thing to look into, especially if the crackling doesn't seem to be related to buffer size.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 16, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

monitoring a couple inputs isnt going to take a lot of processor time, its going to be all your pedal fx and amp modelers / cab sims going on. so yeah if you're running two channels of intensive audio plugins it could be why. giving it more buffer time will increase perceived audio lag but fix issues related to that

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah other options:

1. Use less FX
2. Upgrade your CPU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Or record your take clean, apply fx in post and freeze/bounce the audio clip

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Hello all, I could use some help. I skimmed the first few pages but didn't really find an answer for my question.

Today fedex shipped me the M-audio Keystudio, which is a usb powered keyboard. When I try to play some software instruments on Garageband or Logic, the sound crackles a lot. This happens when the CPU bar on Logic is full. A friend suggested that maybe my soundcard can't handle the keyboard, and that I should buy a better soundcard. Is this the case? I appreciate your help.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Have you tried messing around with your buffer size setting in Logic?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Lol look at the date on that quote

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Or record your take clean, apply fx in post and freeze/bounce the audio clip

Oh yeah exactly this. Or apply just a few FX live so the guitar isn't totally clean but then apply the more CPU-intensive stuff like reverbs and cab sims afterwards.

Also if the accompaniment track is being run through a bunch of FX, then bouncing that would go a long way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol look at the date on that quote

Good lord lmao

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
To me it sounded like they were running 1 channel of Amplitube with live guitar as input, and 1 stereo channel with a single audio file backing track. Almost any computer from the last 10 years should be able to handle that with decent latency with a halfway decent interface. To me it seems more likely to be an unnecessarily low buffer (e.g. 128 is usually plenty, and some setups can even have decent latency for live input @ 256), audio interface driver issues, some sort of DPC latency issue (or other low level issue/conflict), or a configuration issue e.g. mismatched sample rates. If this is larger multi-track project with then definitely play around with freezing the non-live guitar tracks, but if it really is just Amplitube and a backing track I would definitely explore some of these other potential causes before accepting it's just a CPU limitation. More details from OP such as computer/specs, whether the crackles happen on basic Amplitube patches (e.g. just an amp/cab) or only when tons of effects/multiple signal chains are used, and what (if any) other software / plugins are involved would help diagnose.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
The "backing track" is just a YouTube video. I know I can eliminate crackling by increasing my buffer size but what concerns me is the entire guitar going silent unless I replug my interface or guitar. I don't have any pedals or any other plugins. I'm a beginner guitarist and not recording anything. I'm just using my interface and amp sim as a substitute for a real one.

Windows 10, i3-8100

I crossposted in the guitar thread and someone suggested my desktop's front usb inputs could be crashing.

bltzn fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 16, 2021

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

bltzn posted:

The "backing track" is just a YouTube video. I know I can eliminate crackling by increasing my buffer size but what concerns me is the entire guitar going silent unless I replug my interface or guitar. I don't have any pedals or any other plugins. I'm a beginner guitarist and not recording anything. I'm just using my interface and amp sim as a substitute for a real one.

Windows 10, i3-8100

I crossposted in the guitar thread and someone suggested my desktop's front usb inputs could be crashing.

Since you're on windows, another thing to check is your power plan. Most machines default to "balanced" which has your CPU throttle itself frequently. If you set it to "High Performance" that will keep your CPU at top speed all the time. I make this switch when using my DAW/Guitar Rig and it lets me use drastically smaller buffer sizes with no crackling.

I'm not really sure what could be causing the complete silence thing. Do other sounds work? (ie has your interface somehow disconnected? or is it a problem between the guitar and the interface...which could only likely be a cable)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Do you have any room in the motherboard usbs? Front panel can be finicky for some stuff. For sound cards I would always try to go direct to the mobo on the back

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Oh. Yeah so your web browser is definitely not ASIO compatible, and the mechanisms to allow it to play audio while ASIO is also running can be finicky. I remember having to do some stuff around enabling WASAPI in my DAW to get that working.

Also you may want to just record the YouTube track into your DAW and then play it back there. Then it'll all be playing through ASIO Also you can pan it, fiddle with the mixing, etc.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
I'm looking to replace my old KRK Rokit 5's (1st generation) as the tweeters have finally given out and have a horrible buzz noise at all times coming from them.

My main desktop is also what I use for audio production, so my use case is mixing and general listening, games, etc.

I'm thinking of replacing them with the Presonus Eris, but I'm torn between 2 options. I can get the E3.5 pair plus the Sub8 subwoofer, or just get a pair of E5s for about the same price. My room size is approximately 16' x 24'. My main concern with getting the E3.5's is with a small soundstage, it will be more difficult for me to share with anyone in the room if they're not sitting in the sweet spot, which will not always be possible.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bltzn posted:

Windows 10, i3-8100

To inspire some confidence that this isn't a CPU issue: I'm still producing on a late 2013 rMBP, which has a slower CPU than that 8100, and I can run way, way, waaaaaaay more than one instance of an amp sim before I even have to consider raising my buffer or freezing any tracks to avoid crackling.

To reiterate others and provide a few additional options: try different USB ports, re-install interface drivers, check the Windows power plan, download ""DPC Latency Checker" and see if you're seeing any spikes when you get crackles/drops, check if your sample rate settings in Amplitube/interface/windows/youtube all match.

It doesn't sound like you're even using a true DAW, but IIRC Amplitube standalone is almost a mini DAW itself and supports loading in audio files that can be used as backing tracks. So definitely try using a backing track directly within Amplitube and seeing if the crackling issues persist. If not, it definitely seems like the issue is related to playing audio from multiple programs and/or mixing ASIO / non-ASIO sources. There are ways to download/extract/record audio from youtube videos to import to Amplitube.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Praxis Prion posted:

I'm looking to replace my old KRK Rokit 5's (1st generation) as the tweeters have finally given out and have a horrible buzz noise at all times coming from them.

My main desktop is also what I use for audio production, so my use case is mixing and general listening, games, etc.

I'm thinking of replacing them with the Presonus Eris, but I'm torn between 2 options. I can get the E3.5 pair plus the Sub8 subwoofer, or just get a pair of E5s for about the same price. My room size is approximately 16' x 24'. My main concern with getting the E3.5's is with a small soundstage, it will be more difficult for me to share with anyone in the room if they're not sitting in the sweet spot, which will not always be possible.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you!

I can't say I've tried Rockits, but my E5s are grand.
My use case is same as yours, I use em just as much for games as I do music stuff.
I suppose if I had to complain I'd say lack of very low end response, but I think that's more down to driver size than any E5 specific shortcomings. Also, I do use the room control tweaks as my listening situation isn't ideal and they are close to a wall, so I end up using the dip switches to reduce pointless flub.
If nothing else, they can be very "honest" speakers and for me that's what's important.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Couple of quick questions -

A. What is bouncing?

B. Do I need to worry spec wise before I get too deep into this stuff? Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60ghz, 1060 GTX 3gb, and I think 16GB of ram. Also isn't my Scarlett my sound card? My harddrive is also one of those NVME thingys. Am I gonna be good for a while on the PC front?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Couple of quick questions -

A. What is bouncing?

B. Do I need to worry spec wise before I get too deep into this stuff? Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60ghz, 1060 GTX 3gb, and I think 16GB of ram. Also isn't my Scarlett my sound card? My harddrive is also one of those NVME thingys. Am I gonna be good for a while on the PC front?

A. Bouncing is recording a track that has a bunch of effects/software synths/etc to audio to save on computation. It can help if you have a really hungry synth, or a lot of very CPU-intensive effects and a lot of tracks in a project. It's also sometimes called "freezing" or "rendering". One other neat thing about it is that it gets done not in real time, so you can have something that's too CPU intensive to play live, but get your computer to render (aka bounce aka freeze) it to audio and play that live instead.

B. Nope, you should not need to worry. That is plenty of computer for audio needs.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Cubase installation question (maybe very specifically for NonzeroCircle, unless anyone else is using that particular DAW). I've built a new Windows PC and am doing a clean install of Artist 10.5. Installing and updating Cubase always ends up being a little more confusing and annoying than I anticipate, so I just want to make sure I'm thinking about this the right way, and it's been a long time since I did a clean install of anything Cubase-related on a new computer.

All I need to do is use the Steinberg Download Assistant to download Cubase Artist 10.5.20 Full (all 21.56GB of it) and install it on my new machine, and then combined with dongle, I should be good to go with Cubase -- I shouldn't need to install anything else to get access to Halion, GrooveAgent, etc., nor should I need to mess about with the eLicense controller, since I'm using the dongle. Does that sound right?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I built a new PC earlier in the year and that's what I did, didn't have any issues with Cubase, just go through the assistant as you seem to have done and you should be good to go, as long as you're happy having everything on your main drive or wherever you told it to install.

It'll install the elicenser as part of it, so as long as your licence is saved to the dongle you'll be fine- just log in.

iLok stuff was the only issue I had on this build cos I forgot to "deactivate" things, whereas with Cubase you can install it wherever, it's the dongle having the appropriate license it seems to care about, not number of machines. Although they're threatening to change it at some point.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I built a new PC earlier in the year and that's what I did, didn't have any issues with Cubase, just go through the assistant as you seem to have done and you should be good to go, as long as you're happy having everything on your main drive or wherever you told it to install.

It'll install the elicenser as part of it, so as long as your licence is saved to the dongle you'll be fine- just log in.

iLok stuff was the only issue I had on this build cos I forgot to "deactivate" things, whereas with Cubase you can install it wherever, it's the dongle having the appropriate license it seems to care about, not number of machines. Although they're threatening to change it at some point.

Great -- thank you. Worked all fine, except Cubase got weird about letting me put it on another SSD in the PC, so I just let it install on the boot NVME. And it runs fine and detected my dongle fine. Would that the installation was as easy as Ableton, but at this point I've given up wishing that Cubase would do that kind of UI and administrative stuff as smoothly as Ableton. Now time to get the UR44 hooked up and start loading up effects on tracks and seeing how the new PC handles things.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a couple of songs I've written with a piano in it(guitar pro) and want to try recording it at some point. So I need a virtual instrument. Is EZ Keys a good choice or are there decent cheaper ones out there I can use that sound decent? Do I want to get one that does it all as standalone mostly, or should I get a midi sequencer of some sort to actually write it out and just use the plug in for the sound samples? I'm new to all this. I know I should be able to just export the midi from guitar pro but I imagine they might need tweaking.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I have a couple of songs I've written with a piano in it(guitar pro) and want to try recording it at some point. So I need a virtual instrument. Is EZ Keys a good choice or are there decent cheaper ones out there I can use that sound decent? Do I want to get one that does it all as standalone mostly, or should I get a midi sequencer of some sort to actually write it out and just use the plug in for the sound samples? I'm new to all this. I know I should be able to just export the midi from guitar pro but I imagine they might need tweaking.

If you want to record and sequence MIDI, you kinda need a DAW. Get Reaper. It's cheap and there are plenty of tutorials and helpful forums.

For piano, there are quite a lot of decent free VSTs. I'd try those first before laying down money on one.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

McCoy Pauley posted:

Great -- thank you. Worked all fine, except Cubase got weird about letting me put it on another SSD in the PC, so I just let it install on the boot NVME. And it runs fine and detected my dongle fine. Would that the installation was as easy as Ableton, but at this point I've given up wishing that Cubase would do that kind of UI and administrative stuff as smoothly as Ableton. Now time to get the UR44 hooked up and start loading up effects on tracks and seeing how the new PC handles things.

Sweet.
I noticed such a leap when I upgraded, however I was going from a 3570k to a 9000 series and ddr3 to ddr4 RAM.
I haven't found it too aggravating to put the libraries on a separate drive, so whilst Cubase is on my system drive I have all the content packs etc on the same drive as my Native Instruments stuff

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I just upgraded from an i7-9700K to a Ryzen 5950X and it's like turning on cheat codes. Went from struggling to process 1000 voices with max ASIO buffer to using < 10% cpu. That combined with 128 gb of ram and I'm good until I want to preload every single orchestra instrument at the same time. Then it may be time to start picking up used server blades for a processing farm which is a bit extreme.

Edit: also made the move from Sibelius to Dorico Pro. Competitive crossgrade was on sale for $195 compared to $30/mo for Sibelius, and the automation tools in it are so much easier to work with and set up. If you want to set up sound sets in Sibelius you have to use a program that only runs on macs that is janky as hell, and still have to hand edit the .xml files to make them usable.

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 22, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

There’s also that new midi sequencer mmt8 clone. I forget what it’s called

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

RK-008, and it's expected to retail for half of what the next best MMT-8 successor, the Squarp Pyramid, does. 350 and 700 respectively.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

if it has a tone generator on board it could replace my QY 100? maybe? I love the QY but I'm at the stage of wanting to just preserve it instead of wearing out the keys on it haha

edit looks like the baby speaker on there is only for the click track. oh well

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 22, 2021

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I should have the scratch together next year to build a new comp, it's going to be amazing going from this 4770K to a modern CPU. Still on DDR3, just "overclocked it" to 4.3GHz and that actually made it so that I don't get audio stuttering at 64-128 recording guitar and it keeps poo poo together better at 256 working with multiple synths and drums at the same time versus the stock clocks - I think the XMP profile that the mobo uses juiced the RAM up a bit too, but this is as much performance as I expect to ever get out of this thing and it's hardly modern at this point. Start adding effects plugins and, woowee I start feeling this thing's age. Thank goodness for AirWindows and other efficient plugin makers for sparing me from having to freeze every drat track.

I know from many such generational leaps after making do for as long as I had to that I am in for a revelation yet again.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 22, 2021

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I want to get back into home recording after a ~10 year hiatus that included me selling off all my recording gear except for a couple mics. I'll start with a simple setup, just need a midi controller, interface and DAW. Do these seem like good picks to get started? Will be making rock music, probably recording guitar DI and amp modeling, and then midi drums, keys, bass, etc.

- Midi: Novation Launchkey 37. I used to have a 61-key M-Audio controller but my piano skills are fairly limited and one-handed, so I think a smaller scale would be fine and a better fit for my desk

- DAW: Live, used this in the past so have some old projects already in this format, and the novation comes with a lite version of 10 that I'd probably upgrade to 11

- Interface: I used to have a Focusrite Saffire which seemed like good value for a simple, beginner setup. Seems like the latest version of that would still be a good bet, but I do have a macbook with thunderbolt 3 ports, so that is tempting but seems like every thunderbolt interface is >$1000 when I'm hoping more for <$500. Am I missing any budget thunderbolt options or is that overkill for my purposes anyway?

Fwiw my macbook has 16gb RAM and a 2ghz intel processor, I'm not a computer or gear geek so my impression is that this is probably good enough since I'll probably be working with like max 20 tracks at once and more often <10, but idk

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Agreed posted:

I should have the scratch together next year to build a new comp, it's going to be amazing going from this 4770K to a modern CPU. Still on DDR3, just "overclocked it" to 4.3GHz and that actually made it so that I don't get audio stuttering at 64-128 recording guitar and it keeps poo poo together better at 256 working with multiple synths and drums at the same time versus the stock clocks - I think the XMP profile that the mobo uses juiced the RAM up a bit too, but this is as much performance as I expect to ever get out of this thing and it's hardly modern at this point. Start adding effects plugins and, woowee I start feeling this thing's age. Thank goodness for AirWindows and other efficient plugin makers for sparing me from having to freeze every drat track.

I know from many such generational leaps after making do for as long as I had to that I am in for a revelation yet again.

I upgraded from my 3570k to a 9000 series, and from DDR3 to DDR4 earlier this and it was like chalk and cheese, so noticeably better.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is there an MPC thread or should I ask in here?

I'm contemplating getting the new MPC Studio MK2 and I was wondering if it's feature competitive with the live 2 outside of needing a computer?like is it a good way to get into the MPC workflow with some buttons and pads to work with?

I have a motu m2 audio interface so I shouldn't have any issues getting audio into it. And while the standalone versions look awesome, I have a laptop already and not a lot of space so just needing the controller works a lot better for me.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

I upgraded from my 3570k to a 9000 series, and from DDR3 to DDR4 earlier this and it was like chalk and cheese, so noticeably better.

I look forward to it. Guitar is still easy, synths are hard on the CPU. I did tune my OC slightly better, and probably more importantly than a couple hundred mhz, I finally wised up to turning my computer's power plan from "Balanced" to "High Performance" when using my DAW. I guess when it was newer I never had to care or notice but this makes a VERY LARGE difference in audio stream stability for me, to the point that it's easy to get High Performance mode to stably run at 64 sample latency which I consider Totally Fine for guitar recording versus 128+ with Balanced, with some really heavy synth patches and lots of effects 256-512 even. And there's a level beyond which I just can't turn more stuff on even if I want to without needing to freeze tracks and work with them rendered. I really look forward to moving that threshold way up.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 5, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I want to get back into home recording after a ~10 year hiatus that included me selling off all my recording gear except for a couple mics. I'll start with a simple setup, just need a midi controller, interface and DAW. Do these seem like good picks to get started? Will be making rock music, probably recording guitar DI and amp modeling, and then midi drums, keys, bass, etc.

- Midi: Novation Launchkey 37. I used to have a 61-key M-Audio controller but my piano skills are fairly limited and one-handed, so I think a smaller scale would be fine and a better fit for my desk

- DAW: Live, used this in the past so have some old projects already in this format, and the novation comes with a lite version of 10 that I'd probably upgrade to 11

- Interface: I used to have a Focusrite Saffire which seemed like good value for a simple, beginner setup. Seems like the latest version of that would still be a good bet, but I do have a macbook with thunderbolt 3 ports, so that is tempting but seems like every thunderbolt interface is >$1000 when I'm hoping more for <$500. Am I missing any budget thunderbolt options or is that overkill for my purposes anyway?

Fwiw my macbook has 16gb RAM and a 2ghz intel processor, I'm not a computer or gear geek so my impression is that this is probably good enough since I'll probably be working with like max 20 tracks at once and more often <10, but idk

I can't weigh in on the controller with any authority, but I think Novations are generally just fine. I slum it with a weird Korg thing, so I can't say my taste is to be trusted.

For the DAW: I think GarageBand might be worth giving a try honestly, but familiarity goes a long way too. I just think of my days wanting to make trance music when I think about Live, I know it's more versatile, but GarageBand is much more intuitive to me and makes building songs around guitar and bass parts pretty easy.

For the interface: It's going to depend on your intents, but a $1,000 interface is likely overkill. How many tracks do you think you'll record simultaneously? Do you have any need or desire for something somewhat portable? There are a number of companies with USB-C interfaces now, so that might be worth considering, but with an adapter, dock, or the right display you can use a regular old USB interface just fine too. I could definitely see the value in starting off with a 2-input or 4-input and getting a set of powered monitors if you don't have those.

And last, your MacBook is just fine, so you can safely concentrate your efforts on the recording gear.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I have a Launchkey 37 mk3 and it's awesome. The keybed isn't the greatest but it isn't terrible or cheap toy keyboard feeling either. You might wish it had aftertouch, that's what got me out of the 49-key version that I had picked up as my first midi keyboard earlier this year. I just really wanted that feature on the keybed of my bigger keyboard as it is a great, expressive tool. It isn't totally without that feature, by the way. Its pads do have aftertouch, and also its pads are really fun to use. It has a very quick user mode that lets you set up custom chords very quickly and the pads are responsive and sensitive for aftertouch which makes them a lot of fun to play synths with. I also very much love its arpeggiator, especially because of its "Mutate" and "Deviate" functions which let you get creative and introduce some controllable randomness that is very musical rather than, ah, just plain random. I love this controller for what it is, though piano wiz or not I feel like you might appreciate the additional range that a 49-key provides. The 37-key is really compact for what it offers, though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been practicing tracking a bit lately, but I've been sending over the files to my goon bud to do the mixing on this little thing we are working on. However, I want to give it a shot myself with other stuff as I've been talking about for a couple months now. I wanted to ask, is there a basics guide for mixing metal out there anywhere? There's a ton of stuff if you search of course, but it feels similar to looking up music theory in that a lot of it either assumes you already know a little bit, or it doesn't give enough context. I need something just to help me get started from the very beginning. If there are actual good courses I don't mind paying a bit of money either.

I would be recording and mixing guitar and bass, but the drums will be digital, probably using EZ Drummers libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

nitsuga posted:

I can't weigh in on the controller with any authority, but I think Novations are generally just fine. I slum it with a weird Korg thing, so I can't say my taste is to be trusted.

For the DAW: I think GarageBand might be worth giving a try honestly, but familiarity goes a long way too. I just think of my days wanting to make trance music when I think about Live, I know it's more versatile, but GarageBand is much more intuitive to me and makes building songs around guitar and bass parts pretty easy.

For the interface: It's going to depend on your intents, but a $1,000 interface is likely overkill. How many tracks do you think you'll record simultaneously? Do you have any need or desire for something somewhat portable? There are a number of companies with USB-C interfaces now, so that might be worth considering, but with an adapter, dock, or the right display you can use a regular old USB interface just fine too. I could definitely see the value in starting off with a 2-input or 4-input and getting a set of powered monitors if you don't have those.

And last, your MacBook is just fine, so you can safely concentrate your efforts on the recording gear.

Thanks! Good point re: Garageband, I haven't really used it since like 2009 so maybe it's less janky than I remember it being at the time... Between that and Lite version of Ableton I'll have enough to test out and see if I need to try a different DAW or not.

Definitely am not going to drop $1K on an interface at this point, so yeah regular USB seems the way to go. Leaning towards Focusrite since I have some past positive experience, but if there's a clearly superior option in the $250-$500 range let me know. 2 inputs is fine and I use DT-770s for monitoring.

Agreed posted:

I have a Launchkey 37 mk3 and it's awesome. The keybed isn't the greatest but it isn't terrible or cheap toy keyboard feeling either. You might wish it had aftertouch, that's what got me out of the 49-key version that I had picked up as my first midi keyboard earlier this year. I just really wanted that feature on the keybed of my bigger keyboard as it is a great, expressive tool. It isn't totally without that feature, by the way. Its pads do have aftertouch, and also its pads are really fun to use. It has a very quick user mode that lets you set up custom chords very quickly and the pads are responsive and sensitive for aftertouch which makes them a lot of fun to play synths with. I also very much love its arpeggiator, especially because of its "Mutate" and "Deviate" functions which let you get creative and introduce some controllable randomness that is very musical rather than, ah, just plain random. I love this controller for what it is, though piano wiz or not I feel like you might appreciate the additional range that a 49-key provides. The 37-key is really compact for what it offers, though.

Cool that's reassuring. Thinking I'll go with the 37 and give it a go before deciding if I need to upgrade/upscale, for now I like the idea of starting small/simple