Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Planning a trip to Shenendoah at the end of September, any recommendations on 1-2 night routes? The park site itself has a ton of great itnieraries. Will just be me and a buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Where can I buy condiment packets? Anyone pack those on trips?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

Any fast food place will hand some over. My local grocery store has them next to the premade sandwiches as well and I just grab a few before my trip.

You also just get some tiny condiment bottles and fill your own

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Larger grocery stores also seem to sell boxes of packets of mayo, too. I have food restrictions (celiac) so I never trust non squeeze stuff out of my house. Double dip of a knife is a bad week.

As a note, squeeze peanut butter and jam are awesome for sandwiches on the go. Or if you are classy like me, go hiking and snack from the pb squeeze packet directly. I call it astronaut snacking.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

7-11

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Just posting to say my three-day trip with just a foam pad was honestly the best I’ve slept yet. Finding the right one has been a struggle, but I’m going to keep trying it this way for a bit.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I went on a trip in CO last year with just a foam zlite and I think Im to old and fat for that now. Probably ok if youre a back sleeper but I sleep on my side and had little bruises on my hip. Was warm enough just not very comfortable.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm not the youngest or slimmest chicken either, but yeah I have given up on side sleeping while camping. Usually I can focus on my breathing and get to bed without too much fussing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've resorted to popping a benadryl occasionally if I can't get to sleep on my back

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anachronist posted:

The flash 22 adds side pockets and a top flap with pocket plus presumably slightly more space inside while still being very light (9 oz vs 13 oz). I think either the 22 or the 18 is a good choice.

I have the original Flash 18 that I picked up at Goodwill 5 or 6 years ago. I use it pretty much daily for evening "hikes" down to get groceries/beer for the night. It's a semi obnoxious shade of green so I was looking at the newer model in black. Might just need to grab the 22.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sea to Summit's 'comfort' line of self-inflating pads is very foamy and not crinkly. Not a cheap option, but they're well made.

For just me, the Exped Megamat I have is fantastic. For the wife & I we've got the REI insulated queen pad that has worked well the few times we've used it. It holds air really loving well.

Tried a Klymit Static-V sleeping on my friends nice lawn and it was uncomfortable, not sure how It'd do on harder surface, so I returned it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

big basin probably won't be open any time soon, but this is a pretty cool virtual tour of how it's been recovering so far

https://reimaginingbigbasin.org/ > big basin today > virtual tours, it doesn't want to link cleanly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I strongly suggest visiting fresh burn scars if you can (once they're safe/open). We went to the one that burned west of RMNP last summer about a month ago and while it's obviously better if the fire had never happened, watching nature start to return is fascinating.

Around there the burn was absolute.. killed every tree, burned all the underbrush until the ground was nothing but barren flat black. But in spots fireweed and grasses are coming back and it's rather pretty.

Here's an elk munching on some new grass.

I guess the downside is that given how bad the fires are getting pretty soon everything will be a burn scar. But for now it feels unique.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm visiting Redwood National Park and maybe the attached CA state parks next month. I plan to hike into one of the established backcountry sites - any recommendations?

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

ROFLburger posted:

https://www.minimus.biz/
We stock up on camping stuff form this place quite a bit. They have just about everything you can think of in tiny form, perfect for taking a small amount of X on a hike. At this point I have a tiny grocery store’s worth of stuff at the ready for any length of trip, I love it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Guido Merkens posted:

We stock up on camping stuff form this place quite a bit. They have just about everything you can think of in tiny form, perfect for taking a small amount of X on a hike. At this point I have a tiny grocery store’s worth of stuff at the ready for any length of trip, I love it.

What the actual gently caress

How did we go this far without that link being shared/reshared/pinned. That website is great.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

12 cents for a packet of duck sauce

54 cents for a single dose of advil

definitely more useful for some things than others

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chard posted:

12 cents for a packet of duck sauce

54 cents for a single dose of advil

definitely more useful for some things than others

That's 50 dollars cheaper than what a hospital would charge you.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Went backpacking last week. Absolutely breathtaking views of Mt. Baker!

This snow lake was about as cold as you'd expect

The pink snow is from some sort of algae

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 6, 2021

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Boot chat: lately I’ve been getting pain in the ball of one foot after modest distance (2-4 miles); I initially pinned it on my weight but I’m not really sure if it might be a gait or boot fit thing, any ideas?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Sous Videodrome posted:

Went backpacking last week. Absolutely breathtaking views of Mt. Baker!

This snow lake was about as cold as you'd expect

The pink snow is from some sort of algae

Watch-out for that pink snow, don't go where the algae grows.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I was planning on doing a couple of hikes this weekend. The first one ended up being way more ridiculous than I wanted and that was kinda the end of that. I had done it before, but I took a slightly different route and that added quite a bit of extra elevation gain both ways.

Cabin at around 9500 feet. The goal was the twin summit above the first "the"

Water rushing down a rock

The second summit, sitting at a cool 11913 feet or so, second tallest in the Pioneer mountains of Idaho and 16th tallest in the state

Looking back at the first summit plus Hyndman Peak in the background

One of the high altitude lakes

Second lake

The sunset which was not at all in my plans to see

I was kinda hoping to get back to my truck in time to eat something and maybe drive to the next spot. Instead I got back around 11pm, dead tired and hurting. My left knee had started to give me trouble when I put all my weight on it while bending past about 45 degrees. That happened pretty much right as I started my descent back into the valley. It was over 17 miles roundtrip and 6000 feet of climbing on the way there. Didn't see a single person the whole day

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

the yeti posted:

Boot chat: lately I’ve been getting pain in the ball of one foot after modest distance (2-4 miles); I initially pinned it on my weight but I’m not really sure if it might be a gait or boot fit thing, any ideas?

Could be either. Can you describe the pain a bit more?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Casu Marzu posted:

Could be either. Can you describe the pain a bit more?

I tend to notice it in my left foot first or only, at the point in my stride where I’m stepping forward onto my right, at that point it’s just kind of tenderness, less pain in the joint and more like a pressure hot spot. 24 hours later it’s just kind of generally tender and walking barefoot isn’t super comfy.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Huh, camping gas can just shat out gas from all sides when screwing the stove on. Like not a little leak but actual cloud of gas. I'm gonna dispose of it tomorrow and buy a new one but anyone had one fail like this before?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

the yeti posted:

I tend to notice it in my left foot first or only, at the point in my stride where I’m stepping forward onto my right, at that point it’s just kind of tenderness, less pain in the joint and more like a pressure hot spot. 24 hours later it’s just kind of generally tender and walking barefoot isn’t super comfy.

Still could be either :v: It sounds like it could also be a sock issue.

Do your feet get warm/sweaty? And/or does it feel like your foot is slipping a bit in your shoe?

One thing I always recommend is re-lacing your hiking boots after a couple miles and your feet warm up. That can solve a lot of hot spot or pinch point issues.

I also started loosening up the footbox a bit and adding uh, a "half surgeon knot" before I lace up the speed hook portion of my boot. That really cinches my ankle down and prevented a lot of slipping and tenderness on both my heel and ball of my feet.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

the yeti posted:

Could be that you might want to try different insoles. Maybe you don't have enough arch support in your current boots, putting more pressure on your ball and heel. Could be your step/gate, maybe the terrain was harder than usual?

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I was supposed to climb Rainier next week but got word that they've finally called the season because of all the melt this year (RMI somehow managed a couple summits as recently as two weeks ago. I held out hope but knew it was getting pretty sketchy). At any rate they gave me the option to proceed with a week of training above Muir sans summit attempt or receive a full refund. I decided to opt for the latter and will hope for the best for a chance next year.

Pretty bummed, been training for months, so now I am trying to plan a last backpacking trip for the summer to try and fill the Rainier sized hole in my heart. Anyone have suggestions for a 3 night loop? I've never been to the north Cascades but am having a hard time narrowing options.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Maybe doing one of the loops around another big mountain? I was just about to post to ask folks what a good 2 night loop would be as well. Something like the Timberline trail or Loowit trail seems pretty doable in 3 days, though I'm not sure how conditions are in mid-September?

I don't know where you're situated but maybe the Three Sisters loop is a potential option, if it's not too far of a drive down. If you do it in 4 days I figure a summit of South Sister (just a hike) can be added as well. Permits aren't too hard to get since they're making them available a week in advance, and you only need to pick one for your entry point, not for campsites. I was also thinking of doing this as a modified loop around Three Sisters and bypassing the burn area by cutting through South/Middle sisters to shave off a day, though I'm not sure how I'd squeeze in a summit attempt too if the weather looks good.

cerious fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 7, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

SuicidalSmurf posted:

I was supposed to climb Rainier next week but got word that they've finally called the season because of all the melt this year (RMI somehow managed a couple summits as recently as two weeks ago. I held out hope but knew it was getting pretty sketchy). At any rate they gave me the option to proceed with a week of training above Muir sans summit attempt or receive a full refund. I decided to opt for the latter and will hope for the best for a chance next year.

Pretty bummed, been training for months, so now I am trying to plan a last backpacking trip for the summer to try and fill the Rainier sized hole in my heart. Anyone have suggestions for a 3 night loop? I've never been to the north Cascades but am having a hard time narrowing options.

I would be concerned about water sources this late on the Loowit but maybe trip reports will attest that they are still there. Personally I didn't like the Loowit, too much sand and blasted moonscape and not enough classic PNW forests and mountains.

Devil's Dome is a good 40 mile loop to consider in the North Cascades https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/devils-dome

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That sucks to hear about Rainier, good to hear you got a refund.

Devil's dome is great so long at the smoke isn't too bad out there. Pasayten is always a fun place but also, smoke. Goat rocks is beautiful. Haven't done too much in north cascades either so not much help there.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Verman posted:

Could be that you might want to try different insoles. Maybe you don't have enough arch support in your current boots, putting more pressure on your ball and heel. Could be your step/gate, maybe the terrain was harder than usual?

Ah hell, I do tend to pronate thanks to chronic hip flexor issues, I never thought about that translating into pain in that part of the foot though.

Casu Marzu posted:

Still could be either :v: It sounds like it could also be a sock issue.

Do your feet get warm/sweaty? And/or does it feel like your foot is slipping a bit in your shoe?

One thing I always recommend is re-lacing your hiking boots after a couple miles and your feet warm up. That can solve a lot of hot spot or pinch point issues.

I also started loosening up the footbox a bit and adding uh, a "half surgeon knot" before I lace up the speed hook portion of my boot. That really cinches my ankle down and prevented a lot of slipping and tenderness on both my heel and ball of my feet.

I tend to only feel slip if I’m on a descent or sidehill but yeah my feet sweat loads.

The surgeon loop trick rules, I have to jump a set of eyelets to allow arch room and I’d never be able to get the laces done up right without a surgeons loop above them to hold tension. I’ll try your way though too next time I go poking around for shrooms

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Red Castle Lake is a real popular destination in the Uintas. It wasn't my destination, but I was pretty close by

23 miles all for the tallest mountain in Utah under 13000 feet

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Guido Merkens posted:

this is the bomb, thank you

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

Huh, camping gas can just shat out gas from all sides when screwing the stove on. Like not a little leak but actual cloud of gas. I'm gonna dispose of it tomorrow and buy a new one but anyone had one fail like this before?

I had a isopro fuel canister hooked up to a running micro stove about ready to start heating water for a freeze dried dinner. My dumbass angled the running stove a little on its side for a brief second before putting the pot on top and a ball of solid liquid gas dripped out of it and caught fire. I've been more careful about how I handle those things now and haven't had that problem again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, I'm not much of a backpacker but we're going to Iceland soon which will likely involve some hiking in rainy weather so I wanted to tap into some goon wisdom w.r.t. gear.

I found a jacket I haven't worn much that's supposedly waterproof, made out of Isotex and treated with durable water repellant. I left it out in pretty heavy rain yesterday for like 2 hours, and although it looked wet on the outside (no water droplets beading), inside it seemed dry. Still, should I try applying some extra treatment, just in case?

I'll need some new pants probably though, as all I have are jeans and dress pants. Any suggestions for something basic that just won't soak up water like jeans would? Would something like these nylon Columbia Silver Ridge pants work?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mobby_6kl posted:

Hey guys, I'm not much of a backpacker but we're going to Iceland soon which will likely involve some hiking in rainy weather so I wanted to tap into some goon wisdom w.r.t. gear.

I found a jacket I haven't worn much that's supposedly waterproof, made out of Isotex and treated with durable water repellant. I left it out in pretty heavy rain yesterday for like 2 hours, and although it looked wet on the outside (no water droplets beading), inside it seemed dry. Still, should I try applying some extra treatment, just in case?

I'll need some new pants probably though, as all I have are jeans and dress pants. Any suggestions for something basic that just won't soak up water like jeans would? Would something like these nylon Columbia Silver Ridge pants work?

Yeah, those work fine. In general hiking in the rain is balance between staying dry/warm, and overheating in waterproof clothes. 9 times out of 10 i dont bother with rain pants because i will just sweat underneath them anyway. I pack them so that i have the option to stay dry if it cold enough that hypothermia is a concern

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I should know better than to go hiking when a cold front is moving in to the area. Felt like the winds were at 40-50 MPH sustained on the ridge, possibly up to 60 MPH. My handwarmers did absolutely nothing and I had two for each hand. They don't expire for three more years so I dunno maybe Yaktrax can't make a good handwarmer. Out of the wind it was real nice, like 60F. Went up the saddle with the dark and light rocks, then moved to the right on the ridge.

Which led to this

Somewhere in the middle I found half of a porcelain insulator, not something I expect to find in remote Nevada at 11200 feet

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hotel Kpro posted:

Somewhere in the middle I found half of a porcelain insulator, not something I expect to find in remote Nevada at 11200 feet

Looks like a forestry insulator for telegraph/telephone lines. https://www.r-infinity.com/Forestry/

Cool find!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
“Cool finds” reminds me of when I lived in Arizona. My suburb was a new development in the desert outside of town, so I could pack a bag and just go off into the flat wilderness. I thought it was so cool, seeing as the Arizona ecosystem is basically another planet.

One day, about a mile into nowhere, I stumbled upon a rock that looked like something had placed it fully on the surface at some point, moved it with my foot and found a buried waterproof geocache with a log inside going back years.

I always thought that was neat. I mean this was nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

There's a place in Washington State called Washaway Beach that used to be the town of North Cove until it started falling into the ocean at a rate of about 100' a year starting in the 1980s. You can read more about North Cove here: http://www.washawaybeach.com/history/

Every year I'll see another house in the news that had fallen into the sea during a wind storm. There's actually one for sale right now, for $200,000 you too can watch your home and all of your belongings be taken by Poseidon. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1094-Blue-Pacific-Dr-Grayland-WA-98547/108179666_zpid/

Anyway, I've always wondered if it'd be uncouth to poke around Washaway Beach with a metal detector. A lot of these homes are several yards away from the ocean then a storm rolls in and they're suddenly under the waves within a day, so not enough time to evacuate valuables. There's probably a lot of cool poo poo buried in that sand.

edit: here's a great PDF of maps that show the course of the erosion from the 1940s up until 2013: https://www.co.pacific.wa.us/dcd/images/CAO/2016.03.31%20Washaway%20Beach%20shoreline%20predictions%20%202016-03-31.pdf

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 21, 2021