Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Play posted:

Urban has a job in the NFL (...) fail in an actual meritocracy will be delicious.

Ah. Well, nonetheless,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Phobeste posted:

Ah. Well, nonetheless,

Was doing this exercise with a buddy of mine and to be honest it’s a pleasant surprise how qualified or at least promising most of the head coaches seem.

And then you have joe judge

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

It's been mentioned, but there's no way Zimmer's seat isn't way hotter than Nagy. Zimmer is the 7th longest tenured coach in the league, and all six coaches ahead of him have won at least one Super Bowl.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

unl33t posted:

It's been mentioned, but there's no way Zimmer's seat isn't way hotter than Nagy. Zimmer is the 7th longest tenured coach in the league, and all six coaches ahead of him have won at least one Super Bowl.

Yeah, and he is moving backwards

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what are some of the saddest head coach upgrades of recent memory? if the vikings don't do anything zac taylor to mike zimmer could be a strong contender

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Surely it's gotta be the 2000s/early 10s Bills. They went from Gregg Williams to Mike Murlarkey to Dick Jauron to Chan Gailey to Doug Marrone to Rex Ryan.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Cavauro posted:

what are some of the saddest head coach upgrades of recent memory? if the vikings don't do anything zac taylor to mike zimmer could be a strong contender

Kitchens was better than Hue Jackson........

hell just look at clevelands coaching hires in the 10's

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Remember the 49ers going from Jim Harbaugh to Jim Tomsula to Chip Kelly.

Or the Giants going from Ol' Man Tom Coughlin to Ben McAdoo to Pat Shurmur (Who is also in the Browns list) to Joe Judge.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there have definitely been many terrible coaching changes all the time. there's probably at least one almost every year. but i was thinking of specifically for sure upgrades that still suck

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Cavauro posted:

there have definitely been many terrible coaching changes all the time. there's probably at least one almost every year. but i was thinking of specifically for sure upgrades that still suck

So Jackson to Kitchens lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Talking about the other post w harbaugh in it. thank you sincerely and strongly for your contribution

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Going back a bit Dave McGinnis to Denny Green for the Cardinals with Denny coming off of the Moss Viking years probably looked really good at the time?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

Going back a bit Dave McGinnis to Denny Green for the Cardinals with Denny coming off of the Moss Viking years probably looked really good at the time?

My lasting Dave McGinnis memory will always be the Bears scheduling a press conference to announce him as their new coach after they sacked Wannestedt, and he hadn't actually signed his contract yet and backed out because he couldn't believe the organization could be that sloppy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jason Garrett to Mike McCarthy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Coming soon: Belichick to Patricia.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cavauro posted:

Jets going from Todd Bowles to Adam Gase has got to be up there. Got them from a .375 winning percentage to.... .281

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Jason Garrett to Mike McCarthy

More of a sideways move really. Which I suppose is quite sad in its own right

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Coming soon: Belichick to Patricia.

Never

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Dom Capers to Gary Kubiak

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mike Smith to Dan Quinn

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Dave Wannstedt to Dick Jauron

Dick Jauron to Chan Gailey

Dave Wannstedt to Nick Saban

Marc Trestman to John Fox

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Trestman to Fox is 100% the answer

That was a “his ceiling is ‘mediocre,’ but at least he’s not a clown” hire

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
zimmer started the season on a flaming hot seat, it's no secret its deep into the playoffs or bust

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I can see into the future the real answer to this question is Urban Meyer to interim coach Brian Schottenheimer

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think the 90s Seahawks have a pretty good claim to most depressing coaching upgrade, but a little context first.

The Seahawks in the 80s weren't great, but they were consistent playoff teams with a fun identity in Chuck Knox's "Ground Chuck" offense, and sported multiple future HOFers in Steve Largent and Kenny Easley. By the early 90s, things quickly went south when Knox left for the Rams and their 80s core aged out. They brought in Tom Flores, who is now a beloved legend and a worthy Hall of Famer, but at the time he was a decade removed from his Raiders heyday and basically checked out. In Flores' first year, the 1992 Seahawks had legitimately one of the worst offenses of all time, averaging a pathetic 8.8 points per game. Flores never turned things around and was fired after three years, an unceremonious end to his lofty career (Seattle ended up being his last coaching job at any level).

To make matters worse, then-owner and noted shitbag Ken Behring was hellbent on moving the Seahawks to Anaheim and at one point was literally days away from pulling it off when he moved office operations down to Anaheim without league approval. Thankfully the move fell through when the NFL called his bluff and forced him to sell off the team. Paul Allen bought the Seahawks in 1997 and the rest is history.

So the franchise was in complete shambles both on and off the field, and the Flores hire wasn't working out at all. The Seahawks needed stability, and they needed it now. They found it in the form of a man with a decorated college career, who would bring his unique coaching style to the Pacific Northwest and remake the Seahawks in his image, turning them into a national powerhouse for a decade.

Well, they thought Dennis Erickson would be that guy, but instead had to wait until Pete Carroll was available in 2010. Erickson did nothing of note and got canned after four years. His replacement, Mike Holmgren, was considered a shocking coup at the time, but new owner Allen wanted to swing big, so he rolled out the red carpet for a coach coming off two straight Super Bowl appearances and offered him the full GM powers he coveted but never got in Green Bay. Once again, the rest is history.

So yeah, Dennis Erickson's Seahawks run is mostly forgotten today, but it's a pretty fascinating bridge period between the franchise's darkest days and the golden run that was about to come up.

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 21, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The thing I remember hearing in some NFL films piece about Erickson was he’d been notable in Miami for running a lot of a one-back offense and using WR bubble screens and stuff, the latter of which at that time wasn’t very common in the NFL. However, he was convinced it was a college thing that wouldn’t translate well to the NFL so they didn’t use it much.

Also, ya know, Rick Mirer.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I think if Stefanski was still in Minnesota Zimmer's seat would be hotter with them being able to move him up to head coach. As it is starting last year 0-5 and on the same path this year next week's game being the first at home has the potential to be an early nail in the coffin. Especially if they lose and it's not another close one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’m not sure what the point is of Arthur smith in Atlanta.

That roster needs to be blown up and they’re going to need a new quarterback before they’ll be good again.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's funny thay two close, fluke losses = time to fire his rear end and one win, one blowout loss is fine.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Gruden > Raheem Morris > Greg Schiano > Lovie Smith > Dirk Koetter

Dire.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Norv Turner to Mike McCoy to Anthony Lynn

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Norv Turner to Mike McCoy to Anthony Lynn

The entire history of Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals coaching hires.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Edward Mass posted:

Dom Capers to Gary Kubiak

Kubiak is a good coach though.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Forrest on Fire posted:

The entire history of Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals coaching hires.

If you go back to the St. Louis Cardinals at least they had Don Coryell for that brief period of competency in the mid-70s (Three straight 10-win seasons, which they only did again during the Arians years).

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

fartknocker posted:

If you go back to the St. Louis Cardinals at least they had Don Coryell for that brief period of competency in the mid-70s.

Yep that's why I specified when they were in Arizona. This is a two hundred games under 500 franchise. We are the poster children for staying the course until basically Arians.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Mike Martz to Scott Linehan to Steve Spagnuolo to Jeff Fisher

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DariusLikewise posted:

Mike Martz to Scott Linehan to Steve Spagnuolo to Jeff Fisher

that's grim

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jeff Fisher was a great coach who built a mean defense

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Metapod posted:

Jeff Fisher was a great coach who built a mean defense

RIP all those 7-9 or 8-8 seasons, the greatest crime about the season no longer being 16 games…

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Nick Saban > Cam Cameron > Tony Sparano > Joe Philbin > Adam Gase

I can't believe Sparano and Philbin each coached the dolfs for four years. Time flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Wade Phillips —> Greggggg Williams —> Mike Mularkey —> Dick Jauron—> Perry Fewell(interim) —> Chan Gailey —> Doug Marrone —> Rex Ryan —> Anthony Lynn(interim)
Wade is legit the best coach of the bunch :lol:
And there are teams that could outdo this list!
How the gently caress did Mike Mularkey get TWO more jobs after this