Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Did Trudeau really say he'd call another election in 18 months if he got another minority?

O'Toole keeps harping on about another election in 18 months but I don't recall there being any news of Trudeau saying that until O'Toole just said he did.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

mind sharing the source on this?

just watching the cbc broadcast

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-votes-2021-election-night-highlights-1.6177106

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

Did Trudeau really say he'd call another election in 18 months if he got another minority?

If he did this result is telling him to roll that idea off a cliff. He barely eeked out any sort of gains, and if he does it again there's no guarantee the country will treat him even worse for doing the same annoying stunt again. It's more likely some circumstance will cause a vote of no-confidence to bring us back to the polls early again. But the other parties would be smart to take away the same lesson from this.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 21, 2021

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
O'Toole wife has that Rob Ford body

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
O'toole's leadership is kind of dependent on the imminent threat of another election, I think he's just trying to gaslight his own people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Windsor Tecumseh, Davenport and Spadina Fort York. All three of these look pretty close.

Also Deb Schulte is losing ground. I'd love to see that piece of poo poo go after she hosed over the miqmaw fishermen.

puravida
Jan 4, 2019

ZeeBoi posted:

also lol that no matter how ghoulish Kenney has been for Alberta, people are still proudly voting blue

Wistful of Dollars posted:

lol CPC down 14 points in AB and CBC is blaming it on Kenny

PPC may end up costing the CPC 3 seats in AB :laffo:

God drat Zeeboi you are incredibly loving stupid lol. Good to see Alberta bleeding Con support, stealing Con seats, shifting support towards the NDP and denying the PPC a single seat!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spadina is flipping atm.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how Blanchet's speech is literally "Yeah, gently caress everyone who's not Quebec--WHY ARE YOU BOOING ME?"

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

MakaVillian posted:

No the thing they got wrong is that dislike/hatred of the current UCP government would translate to CPC loses. The UCP would get (relatively) crushed if an election was held this year.

I know Canmore is pretty progressive, surprised that Banff would be given how much money you need to have to live there. Also Airdrie dwarfs those 2 towns, so it's still a little surprising that the NDP is 2nd.

First, I completely agree that with Kenney "leading" the province the UCP is barely more popular than room temperature, flat beer. I think Kenney's polling at 9% within his own party. I'd be surprised if this election isn't going to lead to a leadership review very soon.

Second, Banff has been trying to be more than just a vacation town for years now. There's not that many seasonal workers there at this time of year, and especially this year so I may be overstating the town's significance. I only know that it's been a long complaint that Banff and Canmore have been saddled with Airdrie and the rural settlements in between them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Last Call posted:

The usual whiners are already saying Alberta needs to separate.

What a laugh.

A reminder that Alberta is staring down $100B in environmental remediation costs for abandoned oil wells alone, never mind the tar sands. Guaranteed it's going to be the federal government having to bail them out of that sometime in the next decade or two. It honestly might be better for the rest of us if Alberta separated.

(Sorry Alberta goons.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So the PPC aren't getting any seats right.

If those nazis even get one, that riding is basically a no go zone. Not that I expect it to happen but there's certainly parts of the country that have gone nuts.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

If those nazis even get one, that riding is basically a no go zone. Not that I expect it to happen but there's certainly parts of the country that have gone nuts.

They ate more poo poo than a civet coffee enthusiast

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mokinokaro posted:

No, but 600,000 people voted for them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So besides some potential minor but noticeable losses for the Liberals and extremely small gains for the NDP we’re right back where things started right?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I can absolutely see Edmonton Centre and Griesbach going to a recount but if the results stand then I am glad that greasy gently caress Kerry Diotte will be gone. Kinda eh on Boissonnault getting elected again but whatever, another non-CPC seat and that makes me happy

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

I know lawn signs aren't an accurate representation but there's a hell of a lot more of the PPC ones than CPC in my town. This area's strategic vote may have to go conservative!

I could've sworn we were getting Chelsea Hillier with the way everything seemed around here but she received even fewer votes than our ndp candidate and this area is blue as gently caress. I'm pretty sure the only people who actually put out lawn signs were her only voters

eat poo poo lol

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Lars Blitzer posted:

First, I completely agree that with Kenney "leading" the province the UCP is barely more popular than room temperature, flat beer. I think Kenney's polling at 9% within his own party. I'd be surprised if this election isn't going to lead to a leadership review very soon.

Second, Banff has been trying to be more than just a vacation town for years now. There's not that many seasonal workers there at this time of year, and especially this year so I may be overstating the town's significance. I only know that it's been a long complaint that Banff and Canmore have been saddled with Airdrie and the rural settlements in between them.

A ton of rich boomers have moved to Banff after retirement, so I don't know how progressive it is anymore. I definitely agree it makes little sense that a riding stretches from Airdrie to Banff.

Edit: CBC called Calgary-Skyview for the LPC

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 21, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kibayasu posted:

So besides some potential minor but noticeable losses for the Liberals and extremely small gains for the NDP we’re right back where things started right?

Very much so.

The PPC ate any potential gains for the Tories, cost them a few seats, and the right wing of the CPC is already circling like vultures for O'Toole.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

A ton of rich boomers have moved to Banff after retirement, so I don't know how progressive it is anymore. I definitely agree it makes little sense that a riding stretches from Airdrie to Banff.

I didn't know you could retire to Banff. I thought you had to work there to live there or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I don't think you can either. But loads of them in Canmore just outside the park boundary.

Also Jesus Christ Rosemary Barton is really showing her colors this evening. She keeps pitching this result as a brave gamble for Justin Trudeau that has totally paid off.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Granville South might go NDP so maybe it was all worth it

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Madkal posted:

Granville South might go NDP so maybe it was all worth it

PoMo/Coq went NDP and sent a con packing so I'm happy

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I spent a lot of tonight gagging at Lisa Raitt on the CBC coverage. Is this gem on Macleans satire or what?

https://www.macleans.ca/general/lisa-raitts-candy-martinis-and-conservative-woman-in-hoodies/

quote:

Natural Resources minister Lisa Raitt had over a dozen female Tory staffers to her place for a casual night of comfy clothes (Raitt said they should all come in hoodies), pizza and martinis.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

T.C. posted:

At least my riding has managed to be hilarious:

https://twitter.com/martinmacmahon/status/1440135534865616908

lol this dude is winning by two votes. Not two percent, two votes.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Orthanc6 posted:

Vancouver-Granville is neck-in-neck between the brand new NDP candidate and the Liberal home-flipper. I would have rather this election not wasted millions of dollars, but if Anjali flips this seat for the first time I will be ecstatic. She's currently leading with 67% of polls in.

2 votes in it when I just checked, it's a nailbiter

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
We did it guys

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So the mail-in votes tomorrow will decide it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

PittTheElder posted:

Also Jesus Christ Rosemary Barton is really showing her colors this evening. She keeps pitching this result as a brave gamble for Justin Trudeau that has totally paid off.

I cracked up at her immediately talking up Mulcair's past "successes" after the dipper lady praised Singh, Barton hates them so much lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
No need for a new CanPol thread—the OP is still p much accurate.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm seeing this image posted a lot of FB and some other places. I guess they're blaming Ford for the CPC not sweeping Ontario.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

No need for a new CanPol thread—the OP is still p much accurate.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

bi-lingual stasis...

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Well, this got me out of the house and on a route that passed by a Value Village that I'd been meaning to drop some items off at for months on my way to vote, so I guess it wasn't a TOTAL waste of time.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Kenney is viewed in Alberta as an embarrassing / incompetent clown by a large number of UPC voters. Everything he's touched has went to poo poo. The portion of the voter base that is fanatically anti-vaxx may think he has sold out to the global conspiracy.

All that said though, you guys have to take into account how much Justin Trudeau is hated in this province (for no real good reason at all, these people are brain damaged).

I had somebody who declares themselves as being uninterested in voting but nevertheless who is for all progressive causes (whatever that means) tell me that they would vote for Trump if he were eligible to run in Canada before they voted for Trudeau in an election because of how Trudeau has tried to kill Alberta.. Like.. all these people know is to be absolutely outraged at every statement and action Trudeau takes. There really is a brain rot in this province when it comes to that man in particular.

The results tonight are not surprising.. I had hopes for a couple more NDP ridings in Edmonton and area but it wasn't meant to be yet.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
THANKS OBAMA TRUDEAU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Behold, the safest NDP seat in the country:

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Just got off a 17.5 hour shift as a central poll supervisor in Surrey-Central, the kindly old lady representative for the NDP candidate said it was one of the most organized counts she ever attended, really made it all worth it. :3:

The NDP didn't win the riding though. :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Alctel posted:

2 votes in it when I just checked, it's a nailbiter

Now at 230 votes ahead with only one poll to go. Disgusting showing by my fellow Vancouverites.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

SoggyBobcat posted:

Just got off a 17.5 hour shift as a central poll supervisor in Surrey-Central, the kindly old lady representative for the NDP candidate said it was one of the most organized counts she ever attended, really made it all worth it. :3:

The NDP didn't win the riding though. :(

Hi five, fellow CPS. The count wasn't as organized as I would have liked, but 17 hours only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
The silver lining with the Liberals lying about electoral reform is that the PPC get jack poo poo in seats despite taking 5% of the vote. This is also the second election in a row where the CPC got more total votes than the Liberals.