Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Minrad posted:

nothing you do matters because *long audio pause and image of sun bleached skeleton appears*

fwiw its not a very good video, it badly needs editing and/or a script. its not really anything new if you read this thread anyways.

I found the five stages of climate change grief part applied well to my own history on this topic and I hadn’t really seen it expressed in such a positive way elsewhere so I liked it for that :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

I found the five stages of climate change grief part applied well to my own history on this topic and I hadn’t really seen it expressed in such a positive way elsewhere so I liked it for that :unsmith:

yeah the video was good

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Sanctity of Youtube Collapse: Doomsday isn't presented exactly how I personally would have presented it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I want more climate doomer youtube videos where they at

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

500 good dogs posted:

I want more climate doomer youtube videos where they at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSGD0JqGuk

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

owns thank you

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsTK2LHZKPQ

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
goon project: build an ark irl

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Alobar posted:

goon project: build an ark irl

We can put it next to the goon island and the goon aircraft carrier if there is time

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

so what you are saying is that the world's largest carbon capture plant opening in iceland and not even being able to make itself carbon neutral means the problem is solved

Have a source to share?

These techno economic analyses are performed by researchers who work with and receive funding from industry and governments. They have a huge incentive to make it seem like things like DAC can work. Anyone who were to write "this poo poo is a grift" would immediately lose their access to funding.

I worked as a process engineer for a decade, and you develop a kind of intuition for thermodynamics and efficiencies of processes and things doing that. And it's not like you need to have done so to realize that taking concentrated liquid sunlight and burning it and dispersing the resulting molecules in the atmosphere is not a process you can just reverse without massive energy inputs. Its just loving farcical and all of these scientists and industrialists and politicians and news agencies gushing over DAC is driving me insane. It is literally just a way to convince us that it's okay to keep consuming, we will figure this poo poo out. I feel like a dumb teenager writing these "insights" but gently caress it's really not very complicated is it?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

This is definitely climate related because this is how our "Most Progressive President" is handling increased flows of migrants when climate refugees are going to make these numbers look like nothing.

yeah, it made me think of that part in the op about reporting on disasters and unrest overseas, then reporting on migrants showing up but the closest conclusion/connection drawn from it is

Koirhor posted:

start mowing them down in the next administration

:smith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Conspiratiorist posted:

We know it's a consequence of human activity, but just like with the thiamine deficiency across the trophic chain, we have no idea by what mechanisms is it that insect biomass is collapsing, because it's exceeding what would be expected from shifting temperature bands or ecosystem loss due to land-use changes.

We could cease all carbon emissions tomorrow and poo poo would still keep dying because we aren't even sure what is it we're doing that's killing the planet.

On that note, our future biodiversity loss estimates are invariably hosed because we just don't know what the gently caress we're doing that's so deadly to the biosphere.
There's going to be slight differences and the exact contribution is moot, but it's the culmination of literally every industrial-society activity. We're not going to stop genociding all of the biosphere; even if we can stop using X pesticide (we won't) there's about another hundred angles completely decimating something.

zillion tons of plastics (and growing!) are killing animals/plants and will persist for hundreds of years; illion tons of pesticides/herbicides are killing animals/plants; massive industrial pollution and routine oil spills near-permanently destroying every body of water; forest fires resulting in massive choking clouds of ash going global are killing animals; and massive climate-change induced droughts and floods are wiping out entire habitable ground surfaces and just having birds drop dead from it being too hot, and insects just burning away because even they can't tolerate it. acidic oceans are basically extinguishing most sealife; especially crustaceans and the like.

we can't stop, and the scale of cleanup required is literally impossible.

and a break here-and-there in the food chain destroy others ontop of the massive piles of poo poo we're throwing at them. there's really no magic bullet even if we can change out one pesticide (we won't) that wipes out say crickets for something that does less damage to them isn't sufficient.

And it's not like this poo poo isn't and hasn't been studied -- it has. But the problem is so multi-faceted and so many built-up and interlinked connections that it's not like there's a panacea to find regarding any particular collapse.

edit: A good edification is round-up: we already know that poo poo is bad and yet we keep using it massively. We know fracking brine is radioactive and yet we keep dumping it on streets and rivers. We know burning coal and oil is bad. We know producing gobs of plastics that turn into microplastics and dumping it everywhere for funsies is bad. We know logging is bad. We know all those mining operations for Li/Ca/Mn/Ag/ec are bad and dumping byproducts into water is bad.

We can have all the studies and papers we want. I think there's a liberal mindset that if we just Silent Spring, or we do a Watergate Commission, that we can hold them accountable -- just another study here, and another one there, and voila!

Silent Spring can't happen today, and it was a miracle it even happened then (and barely didn't), and it has sadly polluted the liberal brain.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Sep 21, 2021

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

I'm for team Gamma Ray Burst.

why go for something so exotic when the more familiar will do
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3

quote:

A Tunguska sized airburst destroyed Tall el-Hammam a Middle Bronze Age city in the Jordan Valley near the Dead Sea

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Sep 21, 2021

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Evil_Greven posted:

don't look back, or you'll turn into a pillar of salt

kater
Nov 16, 2010

These aspects are important to distinguish, because a person can be pessimist concerning climate change as an unmitigated or poorly mitigated process and optimist concerning mitigation of climate change, and be pessimist concerning one mitigation measure and optimist concerning another specific concerning and be pessimist process mitigated concerns and be optimist within, the process or within changed concerning mitigation climate, or be climate within process pessimist climate optimist concern mitigate pessimist climate climate pessimist mitigate change concern change concern pessimist pertaining prsismyisy dual change unmitigated poorly concern.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/RebeccaH2030/status/1439838201259122690

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Evil_Greven posted:

A Tunguska sized airburst destroyed Tall el-Hammam posted:

while causing extreme disarticulation and skeletal fragmentation in nearby humans.

What an artful way of saying "blown to bits".

Hubbert posted:

don't look back, or you'll turn into a pillar of salt

Didn't realize Sodom and Gomorrah don't have verified sites and Tall el-Hammam is one of the candidates. Cool.

Sodomy is a blast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol looks like the overton window is shrinking

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

My grandfather was born in Oct. 1918, and he died in 2008 in early summer. If you're a having a baby at this point in time, like my best friend is doing at the moment, their natural life span can take them into the next century and through whatever date you want to kick the can at.

lol

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Slavvy posted:

Lol looks like the overton window is shrinking

And the Virgin River is hosed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

don't worry capitalism has already solved this

don't worry, it wont work at all. poor people are gonna be forced do it with little dusters

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Xaris posted:

There's going to be slight differences and the exact contribution is moot, but it's the culmination of literally every industrial-society activity. We're not going to stop genociding all of the biosphere; even if we can stop using X pesticide (we won't) there's about another hundred angles completely decimating something.

zillion tons of plastics (and growing!) are killing animals/plants and will persist for hundreds of years; illion tons of pesticides/herbicides are killing animals/plants; massive industrial pollution and routine oil spills near-permanently destroying every body of water; forest fires resulting in massive choking clouds of ash going global are killing animals; and massive climate-change induced droughts and floods are wiping out entire habitable ground surfaces and just having birds drop dead from it being too hot, and insects just burning away because even they can't tolerate it. acidic oceans are basically extinguishing most sealife; especially crustaceans and the like.

we can't stop, and the scale of cleanup required is literally impossible.

and a break here-and-there in the food chain destroy others ontop of the massive piles of poo poo we're throwing at them. there's really no magic bullet even if we can change out one pesticide (we won't) that wipes out say crickets for something that does less damage to them isn't sufficient.

And it's not like this poo poo isn't and hasn't been studied -- it has. But the problem is so multi-faceted and so many built-up and interlinked connections that it's not like there's a panacea to find regarding any particular collapse.

edit: A good edification is round-up: we already know that poo poo is bad and yet we keep using it massively. We know fracking brine is radioactive and yet we keep dumping it on streets and rivers. We know burning coal and oil is bad. We know producing gobs of plastics that turn into microplastics and dumping it everywhere for funsies is bad. We know logging is bad. We know all those mining operations for Li/Ca/Mn/Ag/ec are bad and dumping byproducts into water is bad.

We can have all the studies and papers we want. I think there's a liberal mindset that if we just Silent Spring, or we do a Watergate Commission, that we can hold them accountable -- just another study here, and another one there, and voila!

Silent Spring can't happen today, and it was a miracle it even happened then (and barely didn't), and it has sadly polluted the liberal brain.

No I just wanna know because this is the greatest show on Earth and I don't want to miss a thing.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

we can stop global warming we have the technology

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
getting tired of this "climate change," hopefully it stops soon

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

good news, climate changed

:ms:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Evil_Greven posted:

Is this the thing that killed Lot's wife? I was pretty blown away when I realized that story had a basis in historical fact.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

petit choux posted:

Is this the thing that killed Lot's wife? I was pretty blown away when I realized that story had a basis in historical fact.

Nah, Lot's wife just lost a game of Dota due to early feeding.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

petit choux posted:

Not as blown away as the Bronze-age city of Tall el-Hammam

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i heard there was a lot of blowing going on there at the time

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

dome blowing

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
FYI 'A Full Life' is a story that should be thrown into the dumpster because it paints the 'Lets travel the world' hippie as the villain for not curbing her individual actions while the investment banker uncle is the hero despite participating in the industry that lead the planet around by the nose and destroyed the world.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nah Uncle Armando is just trying to get his bag he's not an oilman or anything. Man is like 500,000th against the wall. He also seems to have more humanity than the lady who evicts a whole family for her granddaughter

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Waking up praying for death rather than another day in the auto industry lol

Lmao

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
investment banker uncle is out filling sandbags if he's lucky while hippie grandma is gonna die in her sleep (either way lol), we should be so lucky as to see the people directly responsible doing hard labor in penance

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The point of A Full Life is losers like us are supposed to viscerally hate Rosa, and try to not become her, via bombing factories right now before we get to the setting of the story

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/RealMattCouch/status/1440040314220134409
lol

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
A whole million dollars! Zuckerberg must have cleaned out his couch cushions

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
me: direct air capture will never work you idiots

facebook fact checker: there is a direct air capture plant currently operating in iceland. five pinnochios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

IAMKOREA posted:

me: direct air capture will never work you idiots

facebook fact checker: there is a direct air capture plant currently operating in iceland. five pinnochios.

NSA overseer of social media narrative control: good thing we pay for SA server bills to keep these idiots contained, they'd be so much more work to track otherwise