Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Broken Cog posted:

Have they said anything about planned release date for Royal Court yet?

It'll probably be early next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Have they said anything about planned release date for Royal Court yet?

The last they said was they were shooting for this year.

How are u posted:

It'll probably be early next year.

So this.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm trying out a nobody-vassal start to see how much a backstabbing murder-aholic can do as a count with no claims in the Byzantine Empire. Turns out: Not a lot!

Even with +100, lover, and hooks I can't get neither myself nor my kids into dynasty producing marriages, no matter how far down the succession line for even the most podunk landed titles. Eventually I got sick of it and just married a few things for alliance power and knocked over the neighboring county, but have stopped at knocking over my duke as I feel it goes down a pathway I know too well. The bonuses for being on a council are quite serious (and it's tempting to be duke so I can be the Emperor's lapdog), but I'm wondering what tricks or mechanics I've missed to bend people to my will as a count. Suggestions welcome for weird edge cases?

I've already found out the hard way that the once-per-lifetime modification to vassal contracts is per vassal life, killing the liege does nothing. Does the contract maintain as you rise in rank or does it reset per level, per title etc?

Also I'm in Byzantine as I wanna see what their election mechanics are like, I'm assuming I'm eventually going to have to get larger in order to partake of it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I started a game a count of Syracuse and am currently King of Sicily and Africa. When my character dies, my realm is going to be split into three kingdoms, Sicily, Africa and Epirus and that's fine. I kind of want to see if I can manage to guide the Roman Empire into being restored without ever being Emperor.

The Emperors are doing well on their own as well, one managed to make his mom queen of Italy and he inherited it and his heirs have kept control of it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Serephina posted:

Also I'm in Byzantine as I wanna see what their election mechanics are like, I'm assuming I'm eventually going to have to get larger in order to partake of it.

Election mechanics? Doesn't the Byzantine Empire start with the Primogeniture law?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Unless you are modding the game, yes, Byzantium currently starts with/uses straightforward primogeniture.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh what. I was sure they had some voting thing. Was that a ck2 thing?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Serephina posted:

Oh what. I was sure they had some voting thing. Was that a ck2 thing?

Yeah they had a unique succession system in CK2 which was decent enough. Hopefully they'll do something with the Byzantines soon, hell they have a few specific elective successions in CK3 already. Might as well just slap a generic one on the Byzantine Empire with a big "to be fixed later" sign on it, would be better than primogeniture at least.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah well. What's a fun, underpowered start that suits intrigue and engages with mature systems? That probably means being a christian count and respecting the pope, which I'm fine with - I was hoping to try and lead Byzantium into mending the schism from afar, but I don't have to be Greek to do that.

edit: or just stay with my Spartan game and do something different than 'get big'?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

Ah well. What's a fun, underpowered start that suits intrigue and engages with mature systems? That probably means being a christian count and respecting the pope, which I'm fine with - I was hoping to try and lead Byzantium into mending the schism from afar, but I don't have to be Greek to do that.

edit: or just stay with my Spartan game and do something different than 'get big'?

You could try the duke of Graz in the 1066 start. I had a lot of fun with intrigue with that start.

I got Canute the greater this weekend. I managed it with one of Harald Fairhair’s younger sons who inherited all three kingdoms at age 42 and lived to age 75, so I got it by 949 AD. He was a drunkard so i had to kit him out in learning and focus on medicine the whole time. I was probably just a few weeks away from filling out all three trees before he died.
I would’ve loved to keep playing if I hadn’t forgotten to give Scandinavian election to the duchy of Viken where I’d been basing myself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How the gently caress is “Eu” pronounced

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the "council rights guaranteed" thing is possibly the most hilariously infuriating thing that my enemies leave to troll me, lmao

convert holding + extra building slots mods are really cool for tall, non-martial focused games imho. Dunno if the game will ever have more economic stuff but building up your domain is just "okay" atm

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

zoux posted:

The French word? Purse your lips and say "dew" without the d

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

O(do)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How do I get unlanded courtiers of my culture and religion to grant titles to? I've been doing a few Haesteinn runs trying to get the Count to Emperor achievement and end up way over domain limit after invading kingdoms, sometimes I have a bunch and sometimes I don't and I only have my council and mayor vassals and I don't understand why. My best guess is sometimes I'm converting to local religion for stability and sometimes I'm staying Asatru for the CBs?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 21, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Wafflecopper posted:

How do I get unlanded courtiers of my culture and religion to grant titles to? I've been doing a few Haesteinn runs trying to get the Count to Emperor achievement and end up way over domain limit after invading kingdoms, sometimes I have a bunch and sometimes I don't and I only have my council and mayor vassals and I don't understand why. My best guess is sometimes I'm converting to local religion for stability and sometimes I'm staying Asatru for the CBs?

Knights. You should be drowning in them. Also mooks migrate to your court randomly, the higher your rank the more layabouts you accumulate over the years. But mostly knights.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Serephina posted:

Knights. You should be drowning in them. Also mooks migrate to your court randomly, the higher your rank the more layabouts you accumulate over the years. But mostly knights.

Okay I think my problem this time was I blew my starting gold on Varangian vets before culture shifting and had no money to form a title higher than count so I got no-one migrating to my court. I tried inviting knights but for some reason they were all wrong culture/religion this time. Also they cost 80 gold to hire for some reason although in previous runs they've been way cheaper, possibly because they were wrong culture/religion this time? I eventually saved up enough to form a Duchy but Haesteinn got assassinated (I forgot to sway my spymaster) and without his free troops his son just got rolled.

I dunno how I'm so terrible at CK3 when I had no problems with CK2 or other Paradox games

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Serephina posted:

Start as the last Karling in 1066. You have a big goal of reinstating the Carolingian Empire and you're a reasonably young count with hardly any relatives. Pretty much a blank slate except for the name.

Also, for pure intrigue, the Jimena sister who is a count is a fantastic way to unite the Spanish throne. Tons of intrigue and (baby)murder.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Tons of intrigue and (baby)murder.

Sold!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm playing as England, and have implemented Saxon elective in the kingdoms of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. So far, so good, most electors will vote for my choice of heir, and he'll inherit all kingdoms as well as all my three duchies and all my 8 counties, the whole lot.

I then founded the empire and now his brothers are picking up counties due to "the realm's partitioning laws".

The empire has Saxon elective, all kingdoms have Saxon elective and the three duchies that are now getting split up have Saxon elective.

Someone please help.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm playing as England, and have implemented Saxon elective in the kingdoms of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. So far, so good, most electors will vote for my choice of heir, and he'll inherit all kingdoms as well as all my three duchies and all my 8 counties, the whole lot.

I then founded the empire and now his brothers are picking up counties due to "the realm's partitioning laws".

The empire has Saxon elective, all kingdoms have Saxon elective and the three duchies that are now getting split up have Saxon elective.

Someone please help.

The electives cover that title only. De Jure Vassal titles (eg counties) will have their own inheritence rules, aka the normal confederate partition stuff your crown authority demands. The good news is that if random failson gets a single county that was formerly part of your domain, he'll have a grand total of <500 troops to defend it with while your real heir has a strong claim on it. I'll take less than two months to take everything back from a half dozen siblings in a simultaneous 1v6 war. And no real hard feelings for it either!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Revoke baronies, click the grant to low noble button, revoke, etc. Most of them will leave your realm, but enough will stick around that you can just grant them.

Sometimes you can also grant a mayor a county level title in a different duchy and he'll abandon the city and turn into a normal ole count. It doesn't always work though, and sometimes you just end up with lots of republic vassals.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Serephina posted:

The electives cover that title only. De Jure Vassal titles (eg counties) will have their own inheritence rules, aka the normal confederate partition stuff your crown authority demands. The good news is that if random failson gets a single county that was formerly part of your domain, he'll have a grand total of <500 troops to defend it with while your real heir has a strong claim on it. I'll take less than two months to take everything back from a half dozen siblings in a simultaneous 1v6 war. And no real hard feelings for it either!

Thanks! Is it possible to change county inheritance laws as well? I would have thought that'd be covered by the duchy's law. Also, why was this not a problem before I founded the empire?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Someone please help.

YMMV if they've patched it since I last played with these laws, but the way elective works in CK3, your partition laws start to take effect if you have only one top-level title with an elective succession law. Removing the elective law from your empire will/should give you the inheritance behavior you had before.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Thanks! Is it possible to change county inheritance laws as well? I would have thought that'd be covered by the duchy's law. Also, why was this not a problem before I founded the empire?

You can look at my posts from a couple weeks ago where I had the exact same problem and the replies to me. Basically the way elective works seems to break once you get to empire level primary title. Below that, whoever wins the election will also inherit every lower title within the dejure territory of the elective title. Elected king of England gets every county within England's borders. But once you add a top level empire to your realm, for some reason that stops happening for the lower titles and all holdings at any level are subject to individual partition. I guess it's a bug, unless the free "bundling" of titles is actually a bug itself, as I never could find any text in the game explaining why that happens as a benefit of a title being elective.

No Pants posted:

YMMV if they've patched it since I last played with these laws, but the way elective works in CK3, your partition laws start to take effect if you have only one top-level title with an elective succession law. Removing the elective law from your empire will/should give you the inheritance behavior you had before.

95% sure I tried this and it didn't change anything, I can double check tomorrow though. I am 100% sure though that I first noticed the bundling happening with my first and at the time only Kingdom title, Norway, as I put that to elective early just to see how succession would be affected before I had territory to form any other kingdoms and was very pleasantly surprised to see that it kept all my holdings together for some reason.

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 21, 2021

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I dunno then! I just tested it with multiple sons in a partition-succession empire and feudal elective kingdoms, and the only leaks were duchies/counties outside my kingdom titles' de jure territory. You just have to make sure you're electing the primary heir to the empire title.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Remind me please, how does it select player heir when using an elective succession?

I'd like a playthrough where I occasionally lose the kingdom and have to work to get a heir elected, but I can't remember if elective forces you to play as the next ruler of the kingdom. That sounds like what you're talking about.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

Remind me please, how does it select player heir when using an elective succession?

I'd like a playthrough where I occasionally lose the kingdom and have to work to get a heir elected, but I can't remember if elective forces you to play as the next ruler of the kingdom. That sounds like what you're talking about.

Have you ever played in the HRE? Sounds like you should, it's basically the same gameplay but with an empire.

To answer the question, you always play as the same dynasty. So if you lose your primary title to someone outside your dynasty in an election you keep your non-elective titles and play as a vassal (most likely)

In other news, there's a dev diary today: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-74-please-kaiser-can-i-have-some-more.1491791/

Not too fussed about this one. I will find it funny if "The Stumbler" overrides your current nickname

scaterry fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 21, 2021

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

scaterry posted:

Have you ever played in the HRE? Sounds like you should, it's basically the same gameplay but with an empire.

To answer the question, you always play as the same dynasty. So if you lose your primary title to someone outside your dynasty in an election you keep your non-elective titles and play as a vassal (most likely)

I haven't tried the HRE yet, but will make it a priority. Sounds fun!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That DD sounds like it could be a really nice change for playing as a duke vassal in a large empire. More room for diplomatically getting what you want rather than straight to war. Seem like good changes.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
On CK2/3 comparisons, I agree CK3 is much better than CK2 was at the same stage of development and will surpass it overall in time. One area where I think it lags behind though is the music. It's absolutely fine - appropriate, atmospheric, etc, but CK2 had music that made sometimes want to play the game almost as much to hear it as to actually play. Horns of Hattin and the Aftermath in particular is one of my favourite bits of computer game music ever.

Still, I haven't loaded CK2 since buying CK3.

TwoQuestions posted:

How good are the pre-written stories in this game? I'm really liking Old World Blues from HOI4 and King of Dragon Pass with their tons of pre-written stuff along with the mechanically generated systems based drama, but KoDP is old and HoI4 is obtuse and jank.

Am I better off sticking with them, or can CK3 do the "playable COYA" type game too yet?

There's a sequel to KiDP if you weren't aware, called Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind. I haven't played it or read much about it though, so I don't know if it feels more "modern" than the original. But yeah, CK3 doesn't really offer that level of narrative built in; it excels at letting you create your own via its fundamental gameplay, though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Donnerberg posted:

Explicitly, your player heir (aka who 'you' will be after death) is the dynasty person who inherits your primary title*. So for electives, your primary heir can/will change according to voting, which is a good thing as you get a *lot* of control over things that would otherwise need absolute crown authority.

*If your primary title doesn't stay in the dynasty, then your guess is as good as mine on which lesser title it prefers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Although one of the things I really want is the ability to separate whole is your primary heir vs. who is your player heir. Sometimes I want to play the younger brother in the partition.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

On CK2/3 comparisons, I agree CK3 is much better than CK2 was at the same stage of development and will surpass it overall in time. One area where I think it lags behind though is the music.

…also the game-crashing mass-execution overlapping death noises. :devil:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

On CK2/3 comparisons, I agree CK3 is much better than CK2 was at the same stage of development and will surpass it overall in time. One area where I think it lags behind though is the music. It's absolutely fine - appropriate, atmospheric, etc, but CK2 had music that made sometimes want to play the game almost as much to hear it as to actually play. Horns of Hattin and the Aftermath in particular is one of my favourite bits of computer game music ever.

Yeah, I listen to the CK2 music on its own sometime. It was really well done. The City of Birka just hits this relaxing spot.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

PittTheElder posted:

Although one of the things I really want is the ability to separate whole is your primary heir vs. who is your player heir. Sometimes I want to play the younger brother in the partition.

this is well up there for me, i want to crash the game under the load of my cadet branches

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're the dynasty head, what's the drawback to disinheriting? (aside from spending reknown) I've been judiciously applying divorcing and marrying old ladies to avoid a raft of male heirs, and dipping into learning to get restraint so far. I get that disinheriting half a dozen lads every generation would be prohibitively expensive, but is there some hidden penalty or something to disinheriting your older, hunchback, one-star education trait eldest heir in favor of your chad younger heir every once in a while?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

zoux posted:

If you're the dynasty head, what's the drawback to disinheriting? (aside from spending reknown) I've been judiciously applying divorcing and marrying old ladies to avoid a raft of male heirs, and dipping into learning to get restraint so far. I get that disinheriting half a dozen lads every generation would be prohibitively expensive, but is there some hidden penalty or something to disinheriting your older, hunchback, one-star education trait eldest heir in favor of your chad younger heir every once in a while?

There isn't any real downside to disinheriting other than the renown cost. It's really powerful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

There isn't any real downside to disinheriting other than the renown cost. It's really powerful.

Yeah, it's so powerful I've been avoiding it because it seems like it has to have some major malus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, I listen to the CK2 music on its own sometime. It was really well done. The City of Birka just hits this relaxing spot.

CK2 definitely has a better soundtrack for listening outside of the game. The way the music is designed in 3 isn’t great for that. In game though I like it a lot - it’s nice that a lot of it is calming and atmospheric when I’m pruning my garden and usually just picks up when something important is happening.