Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

and extremely carcinogenic, iirc

It was a special reward to use the machine

In the fume room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bomb threats we fairly common at schools in my part of NJ in the mid 80s. It was all pranks but they’d clear out the whole school and you’d get to hang out outside for half the day.

I would have loved a good nuke drill or two

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Humorous neologisms are a kind of meme, right?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
lol spain = sheeppain

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

internet celebrity posted:

You know you're the Oregon trail generation if you also know what this is

Sometimes it was green instead. My mouth hurts just looking at it

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is that the mouthwash which was specifically formulated for killing stds so you could suck dick with impunity to HIV.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is that the mouthwash which was specifically formulated for killing stds so you could suck dick with impunity to HIV.

you still use that stuff huh?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PizzaProwler posted:

"many swamps" lmfao

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Drone_Fragger posted:

IIRC that's fluoride. Back then it was rare for communities to have fluoride in the public water so it was given in schools so kids can have less-gross teeth.

I love the fact I live in a modern US city that claims to be incredibly progressive but doesn't fluoridate its water.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PizzaProwler posted:

not-speak-clearly people land is great.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

IIRC that's fluoride. Back then it was rare for communities to have fluoride in the public water so it was given in schools so kids can have less-gross teeth.

I love the fact I live in a modern US city that claims to be incredibly progressive but doesn't fluoridate its water.

Lots of people just don't drink tap water anymore in many places anyway

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

PizzaProwler posted:

this is incredibly fascinating and hilarious at the same time

I know one guy who was extremely active in Democratic politics in Portland (Oregon) and also led the charge against fluoride in the water because ???

I think the chant was "our people our water"

Seth Pecksniff has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Sep 21, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMez4S-Dkk

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

edit: thought I was in a diff thread, didn't realize i posted twice

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Seth Pecksniff posted:

this is incredibly fascinating and hilarious at the same time

I know one guy who was extremely active in Democratic politics in Portland (Oregon) and also led the charge against fluoride in the water because ???

Yup, that's my city. :downs:

There's a ramen place that opened up here that claimed they chose the city because the water is the best for making noodles. I didn't know fluoride affects the pH balance of making good noodles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FEW A CAR BATTERIES

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yup, that's my city. :downs:

There's a ramen place that opened up here that claimed they chose the city because the water is the best for making noodles. I didn't know fluoride affects the pH balance of making good noodles.

:doh:

For those not in the know, Portland has this reputation for being a WaCkY LiBerAl PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER XDDDDDDD crazy city but in reality it's not. I moved away almost 10 years ago and now with the benefit of hindsight I can see what it truly is. It's a city with that progressive veneer and sheen and it has a lot of below the surface racist people who are all about PEACE and LOVE until they run into a black person moving down their block and all of a sudden it's time to call the cops because those people don't look or act right, or they're not staying in their strictly defined neighborhood in Killingsworth

For MLK Day one year, my college (a city not too far outside Portland) decided to serve up fried chicken, watermelon, collard greens, cornbread, mashed potatoes and corn. For MLK Day. They claimed they did it "because it was his favorite food" like lol ok

I happened to run into one of the three black kids on campus and the look on his face man

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Biplane posted:

"many swamps" lmfao

It works. :shrug:

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

PizzaProwler posted:

I just want to know why Norway is :psyduck: land

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ukraine is somehow really funny to me

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PizzaProwler posted:

I am uncontrollably snickering at the fact that all of these countries got names based on stereotypes/observations of the country, but I'm imagining the conversation about Iceland.

"What name would you give to this country?"
"What do you call it?"
"Iceland."
"Oh. We would call it Ice Land."
"Okay. What about France?"
"Moustach people land."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
"horned hat wearer land" suggests to me that the code talkers, same as me, learned most of what they know about Sweden from Bugs Bunny cartoons

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

canyoneer posted:

"horned hat wearer land" suggests to me that the code talkers, same as me, learned most of what they know about Sweden from Bugs Bunny cartoons

No they just remember those guys.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:doh:

For those not in the know, Portland has this reputation for being a WaCkY LiBerAl PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER XDDDDDDD crazy city but in reality it's not. I moved away almost 10 years ago and now with the benefit of hindsight I can see what it truly is. It's a city with that progressive veneer and sheen and it has a lot of below the surface racist people who are all about PEACE and LOVE until they run into a black person moving down their block and all of a sudden it's time to call the cops because those people don't look or act right, or they're not staying in their strictly defined neighborhood in Killingsworth

For MLK Day one year, my college (a city not too far outside Portland) decided to serve up fried chicken, watermelon, collard greens, cornbread, mashed potatoes and corn. For MLK Day. They claimed they did it "because it was his favorite food" like lol ok

I happened to run into one of the three black kids on campus and the look on his face man

Also for those not in the know, Oregon was a sundown state and its original constitution forbade Black people from owning property. Just looked it up on Wikipedia and the language wasn’t fully removed until 2002.

When I went to college in Portland there were more African exchange students in my class than African-Americans.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sure but a primary school career lasts 12 years on average and we were doing shooter drills immediately after columbine. I just assumed there'd be nuke drills so long as the threat was deemed plausible

Yeah stuff like this is what makes it true I guess

Huh I was 9 when Columbine happened but never did any shooter drills. I figured that was a more recent thing as they've become more prevalent.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think people got wise pretty fast to the fact that if there was a nuke, no amount of school drills would save you

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Wikipedia article on it is pretty thorough

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy

with the exception that it seems to be missing a lot of the batshit insane conspiracy stuff that seems to be what most people actually care about when they're talking about the dangers of fluoride, at least in my experience

there are apparently legitimate scientific doubts over whether fluoridation of public water supply makes sense or is good policy (or rather-- is it provable), but it feels like most people talking about it take those doubts and ramp it up to the same same conspiracy theorist extremism that gets you from "the scientific community is not impervious to bias and imperfection" to "THE EARTH IS FLAT"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

boofhead posted:

Wikipedia article on it is pretty thorough

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy

with the exception that it seems to be missing a lot of the batshit insane conspiracy stuff that seems to be what most people actually care about when they're talking about the dangers of fluoride, at least in my experience

there are apparently legitimate scientific doubts over whether fluoridation of public water supply makes sense or is good policy (or rather-- is it provable), but it feels like most people talking about it take those doubts and ramp it up to the same same conspiracy theorist extremism that gets you from "the scientific community is not impervious to bias and imperfection" to "THE EARTH IS FLAT"

If y'all want your pineal gland's calcified to hell then go right ahead!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ultima VII

:corsair:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Galewolf posted:

"His yurt is located in the north coast hidden behind a cave lmao have this get out of jail free card with you bro"

Genuinely one of the biggest reasons i love Morrowind. Quest markers - not even once

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Beeswax posted:

Genuinely one of the biggest reasons i love Morrowind. Quest markers - not even once

On the other hand quest givers occasionally give you the wrong directions

"Hey can you find this dark elf, he went north along this path" when the guy is south back the way you came

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that really true? When did they stop doing them? It seems you'd do them up to the dissolution of the cccp but idk, maybe it petered out earlier than I expected

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, it varied a ton based on region and timeframe. My dad had the infamous duck and cover nuclear war drills in elementary school in NYC in the late 50s/early 60s but they stopped before he reached high school. My mom in various places in the South doesn’t recall them. In Florida in the 90s we had tornado drills that are the same principle, but that was another mostly elementary school thing and they stopped by middle school and never happened in high school.

Yeah, that's why the meme hit me hard. I was in school In FL in 90s-2011. I think we maybe did tornado drills in elementary school, and I have the vague recollection of "lockdown" drills in middle school; I only remember one drill and one actual lockdown because someone robbed a bank across the street. I don't think we did any kind of drills besides fire drills in high school.

Hell, it blew my mind to hear that teachers aren't allowed to leave doors unlocked during class now. All through high school I can easily remember classes with the door just propped open the whole time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

what's that pastry got do do with dracula?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

what's that pastry got do do with dracula?

Dracula is famously kind towards shrimp. Ask anyone

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He kept many as companions in his Prawnsylvanian abode

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

pseudorandom posted:

Hell, it blew my mind to hear that teachers aren't allowed to leave doors unlocked during class now. All through high school I can easily remember classes with the door just propped open the whole time.

Whaaaaat the fuuuuuuck my mind is being blown in real time

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I made a typo in both "silencer" and the filename, but whatever