Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Looks like the Kindle Paperwhite will be the sweet spot for me, wireless charging doesn't interest me at that price difference, all I really want is the warm backlight, and the auto-brightness doesn't really work for me on my Voyage.

And USB C :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope the Signature Edition has Jeff's signature on it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looks like the Kindle Paperwhite will be the sweet spot for me, wireless charging doesn't interest me at that price difference, all I really want is the warm backlight, and the auto-brightness doesn't really work for me on my Voyage.

Fingers crossed on that. None of the pics doing the rounds show the ports.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Yessss, warm white and waterproof, that's all I want please.

Hadn't thought of wireless charging, the USB thing could become a moo point if I could just throw it on my bedside phone charger during the day sometimes.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Gimme back page-turn buttons. :mad:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alehkhs posted:

On the signature edition I believe?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Alehkhs posted:

Yeah I really hope there's another Voyage/Oasis style line coming, but the "Signature Edition" + 6.8" sizes make me wonder if there will be.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I'm enjoying how no models have an ergonomic design. Why even put it on the feature comparison?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm enjoying how no models have an ergonomic design. Why even put it on the feature comparison?

I think the current Oasis is probably included to the right but cropped out.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where did you see the USB C confirmation?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

Where did you see the USB C confirmation?

They're saying they want that

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That all sounds great but no page turn buttons is a no-go for me. The Oasis is pretty much perfect outside of the bizarro form factor. I've gotten used to it but man its odd.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm all for usb c but other than the hard drive I don't really think that's as much of an upgrade as they make it seem.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If it has a blue light filter that’s good enough for me

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Just had a thought: if you use a case, you could always add one of those plug-in Qi receivers if you don’t go for the signature version.

Also, Amazon have got some sort of hardware event on the 28th, might be announced then?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm all for usb c but other than the hard drive I don't really think that's as much of an upgrade as they make it seem.

You can plug it in upside down.

(also it uses the same charger as my laptop which is nice)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

sourdough posted:

They're saying they want that

Is correct. But I can't imagine any new device using micro-USB in TYOOL 2021.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Sri.Theo posted:

You can plug it in upside down.

(also it uses the same charger as my laptop which is nice)

It’s also very durable, which is nice for a waterproof device - makes it less likely to need to crack the thing open to replace the port.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Well, no need to ponder further - ars technica confirmed it's USB-C. Another hold out bites the dust.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Right after I spent $8 on a set of C to Micro adapters!!! Curse you Bezos

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Sri.Theo posted:

Well, no need to ponder further - ars technica confirmed it's USB-C. Another hold out bites the dust.

My Voyage is working well for me but I would really, really like usb C. Let's see if I can hold out until my Voyage battery dies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Amazon doesn't have the announcement and the link in Ars is dead. Maybe jumped the gun a little bit?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If they saw the page before it was supposed to go up I consider that to be confirmation enough.

Finally we have USB-C!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Time to close the thread then, I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah the info is 100% good I'm just anxious to slam my finger onto a purchase button

Edit: it's up now if you search. Just pre-ordered the signature edition with a leather cover.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's up on Amazon Canada already and has USB-C listed there, signature edition specs also have wireless charging listed. $149 CDN for the Paperwhite and $209 for the signature.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So is wireless charging and more storage the only features of the signature model? Hardly seems worth it

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

hatty posted:

So is wireless charging and more storage the only features of the signature model? Hardly seems worth it

Adaptive lighting, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Adaptive lighting is the feature I'm interested in

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Now that I know they're switching to USB-C, I must hold out with my Voyage long enough for the new Oasis.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

Now that I know they're switching to USB-C, I must hold out with my Voyage long enough for the new Oasis.

What are you looking for in a new Oasis?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What are you looking for in a new Oasis?

Presumably USB-C as they said.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I was holding off on upgrading to a cellular Paperwhite until a new generation dropped. I wonder if they‘ll release that later or if they’re moving away from mobile connectivity across the board.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Fallom posted:

Adaptive lighting is the feature I'm interested in

I wonder which way it actually adapts though. Whereas a normal LCD display needs to brighten its backlight to remain visible in a well lit room or in sunlight, an E-Ink display is just the opposite (the brighter the environment, the less the frontlight matters). Will it automatically turn off the frontlight altogether in a direct sunlight? We'll see!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zat posted:

Will it automatically turn off the frontlight altogether in a direct sunlight? We'll see!

my 2017 oasis does this so I can't imagine newer readers wouldn't

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

my 2017 oasis does this so I can't imagine newer readers wouldn't

Cool, I'm way behind on my e-reader tech with my 2013 Kobo Aura I bought in 2014. I'm glad it's still going strong though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just another iteration before Amazon takes a page from the 1998 Mercury Mistress automobile and releases a Kindle we can gently caress (plus a USB-C port, of course).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lazyhound posted:

I was holding off on upgrading to a cellular Paperwhite until a new generation dropped. I wonder if they‘ll release that later or if they’re moving away from mobile connectivity across the board.

I’m assuming that’s either going away or an artificial high end feature. Could also be supply chain though too these days.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lazyhound posted:

I hope not. When I bought my Oasis they sent me a cellular version by mistake, and for something I didn’t want it’s honestly very convenient and nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Zat posted:

I wonder which way it actually adapts though. Whereas a normal LCD display needs to brighten its backlight to remain visible in a well lit room or in sunlight, an E-Ink display is just the opposite (the brighter the environment, the less the frontlight matters). Will it automatically turn off the frontlight altogether in a direct sunlight? We'll see!

Assuming it's the same as the Oasis, that's exactly what it does. On the Oasis, it works extremely well. I set my preferred brightness and warmth the first time I used it and I don't think I've had to touch it at all since then, it adapts really well to whatever conditions you're in. I've opened the settings up in bright sunlight before and noticed that it's set to off in those conditions.