Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

carpet and rug are synonyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

nurmie posted:

also ph(maybe)uo: i hate hate hate the trend in modern interior design where you have large empty rooms with white walls and minimal furniture. minimalism sucks in general. led lights and led strips suck too, and i don't know why people insist on having their PCs and random bits of furniture being highlighted by sharp blue/violet glow at all times

I agree about minimalism, it sucks and makes places decorated in that style look uncomfortable and uninviting. It's a style for people who want their homes to look like a magazine, but not a place they actually live.

But gamer lighting owns. This is top tier bedroom design

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I like carpets+rugs because they feel nice on my feet.

I don't like carpets+rugs because they're a nightmare to keep clean.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

alexandriao posted:

You uhhhh. You know LED lights can do warm colours now right. They can do any colour and almost match the previous bulbs, except you can turn them brighter / lower when needed and also they take like a fraction of the energy cost

oh yeah definitely! i guess i should've worded it a bit differently - "gamer lighting" is a much more appropriate descriptor. it's less about the technology behind the lights and more about the aesthetics, really

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

nurmie posted:

oh yeah definitely! i guess i should've worded it a bit differently - "gamer lighting" is a much more appropriate descriptor. it's less about the technology behind the lights and more about the aesthetics, really

I agree, my desktop pc has absolutely no visible LEDs since they all look like poo poo. My keyboard has flowing soft pastel colours that are quite nice (and I bought that keyboard because it had the right mechanical click to the keys).

Gaming LEDs is the same mentality as adding lovely spoilers and V-tech stickers to a Honda civic, only kinda more sad since at least people will see the Honda.

I do really really wanna try that trend of lights in cotton on the ceiling to look like storm clouds, those seem very nice.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I agree about minimalism, it sucks and makes places decorated in that style look uncomfortable and uninviting. It's a style for people who want their homes to look like a magazine, but not a place they actually live.

I saw a theory that minimalist homes is a way to brag about wealth and that seems to make sense to me.

"poor" people have stuff scattered around the house, clutter on shelves. It's like how lawns were created as a way for rich people to brag about how much land they owned that was being wasted by growing a worthless plant, minimalism is about bragging about how much space you have in your house that isn't being used.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

clutter stresses me out and gathers dust, maybe I'm just a secret shitlib and don't even know it sorry for adding to everyone's struggles

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

clutter stresses me out and gathers dust, maybe I'm just a secret shitlib and don't even know it

Not wanting clutter isn't bougie. Following a trend where you have completely bare walls and open rooms with nothing of use within is. (emphasis on it being a trend you're following, and not a personal preference and desire)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I've always attributed the trend for wealthy people embracing minimalism in part to them having no interests beyond wealth accumulation.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nurmie posted:

Whatever the technology is behind your room lighting, it shouldn't be painful to look at it. If there's a bulb (or other light source) that would be too bright to look into, it should be behind a diffusing shade or bounced off a white ceiling or something. That's why I hate those LED bulbs that are made to look like old-timey Edison lamps:

No one buys these to hide them under a lampshade or put them deep in a ceiling can. They put them on loving display, usually hanging way too low and glaring directly into the eyes of everyone present. Bare light bulbs had always been considered unpleasant and it's a little mind-boggling to me that they've become trendy.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I put one of those in my curio cabinet that I use for booze.

It's pretty and doesn't kick off very much heat.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Edison bulbs look great outside. Get a string of them on a deck to add a cozy warm glow during the evening, it'll be lovely.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Carpet is nice but dang it sure requires a mindset of intentional ignorance

We have carpet in our bedrooms and know full well carpet is never, ever clean no matter what you do to it

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Edison bulbs look great outside. Get a string of them on a deck to add a cozy warm glow during the evening, it'll be lovely.

I think they're too nice to be outside. That's where the elements are and I'd feel bad.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Gripweed posted:

It's for people with absolutely no personality who want their house to look like the inside of an apple store

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

alexandriao posted:

Maybe run some oil over it as long as that won't strip the varnish. If it's splintering then it's probably drying out I think? IANATS (i am not a tree surgeon)

It's a rental, I think that's part of the problem, in that I have no idea what I am doing, but thank you!

PHUO: I am not sure what defines "personality" to a lot of people.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

It's for people with absolutely no personality who want their house to look like the inside of an apple store

While they wear their turtlenecks and chains.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

alexandriao posted:

rugs are like carpets except you can change them on a whim

Rugs are killing machines.

No, seriously. There’s something about being so old a broken hip will kill you that makes you want to fill your house with rugs to trip over. I have seen Slow Death By Throw Rug at least 40 times.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

alexandriao posted:

Like if every time a minority states something that is pretty loving obvious (to most people within that minority), they get called mentally ill, then this isn't exactly a welcoming space is it.

Its definitely cool and good that someone can freely accuse people of being mentally ill because they don't trust their abusers. Its also great that methods of speaking out against oppressors are a "classic conservative thing to say". I guess nothing has changed since the good ol' days when slaves wanting to be free was a mental illness, when women wanting to vote was a mental illness, when gay people wanting rights was a mental illness

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Rugs are killing machines.

No, seriously. There’s something about being so old a broken hip will kill you that makes you want to fill your house with rugs to trip over. I have seen Slow Death By Throw Rug at least 40 times.

The anti-fatigue mats at my work (which are kinda like rugs!) have caused more injuries than everything else in that place combined.

Still, I wouldn't ever give them up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Most music is fine.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The anti-fatigue mats at my work (which are kinda like rugs!) have caused more injuries than everything else in that place combined.

Slips, trips, and falls are the number one cause of injuries. I know I've almost fallen carrying a box and catching an antifatigue mat with my toe.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
actually yeah, music is like the most subjective and, for the lack of a better word, "brainless" art form - listening to music is almost all emotion and almost no intellectualisation (yeah yeah maths and harmony and clever melodic stuff plays a role but i dont think its possible to really enjoy music when you're busy figuring out what voicing or mode or whatever is currently at play - that kind of thing is more akin to solving a riddle imo)

with art already being subjective music is like subjective squared. not saying no one's allowed to have opinions or hate nickelback, but its best to always keep in mind that its just that - an opinion

related phuo: nothing rustles my jimmies more than loving whiners qqing about how "music these days is Bad and Bland and Stupid". looking at you rick beato you loving boomer-brain

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tape them down dammit. Then once a week have someone spend ten minutes checking to make sure they’re all taped down. It’ll cut your injury rate dramatically and if your boss doesn’t think it’s worth it ask him what he’s spending on worker’s comp visits.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

Whatever the technology is behind your room lighting, it shouldn't be painful to look at it. If there's a bulb (or other light source) that would be too bright to look into, it should be behind a diffusing shade or bounced off a white ceiling or something. That's why I hate those LED bulbs that are made to look like old-timey Edison lamps:

No one buys these to hide them under a lampshade or put them deep in a ceiling can. They put them on loving display, usually hanging way too low and glaring directly into the eyes of everyone present. Bare light bulbs had always been considered unpleasant and it's a little mind-boggling to me that they've become trendy.

Those bulbs only belong in lovely hipster bars that charge $8 for a tall boy of PBR and have exposed fixtures that were all painted to look like they're old.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Robobot posted:

Those bulbs only belong in lovely hipster bars that charge $8 for a tall boy of PBR and have exposed fixtures that were all painted to look like they're old.

Exposed fixtures made from metal pipes and matching metal pipe fixtures in the bathroom. Bonus points for walls made from pallets.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
A "chef's specialty" black bean burger for $18. Add truffle oil fries for $7.50 (written as +7.5)

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Why do they spend so much money to look like poors?

It doesn't make any sense.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
looking like you're poor is cool, as long as youre not actually poor. same goes for looking like a manual labourer, a struggling artist, a nerdy computer toucher, the list goes on

i believe its called (whatever)-chic

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

See miniature homes. They cost an absurd amount of money per square footage, and are banned in most places where they would be practical.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Tape them down dammit. Then once a week have someone spend ten minutes checking to make sure they’re all taped down. It’ll cut your injury rate dramatically and if your boss doesn’t think it’s worth it ask him what he’s spending on worker’s comp visits.

Please stop talking about my enormous breasts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nurmie posted:

looking like you're poor is cool, as long as youre not actually poor. same goes for looking like a manual labourer, a struggling artist, a nerdy computer toucher, the list goes on

i believe its called (whatever)-chic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Josef bugman posted:

I like wood, but the stuff I have in my room keeps fracturing when you put anything with wheels on it, which is bad considering my desk and chair.

The wheels are usually replaceable with a standard stem format.

Get some big, soft ones.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Please stop talking about my enormous breasts

more like oldbraless

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

The wheels are usually replaceable with a standard stem format.

Get some big, soft ones.

Alternately, get a chair mat to roll around on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powered Descent posted:

Whatever the technology is behind your room lighting, it shouldn't be painful to look at it. If there's a bulb (or other light source) that would be too bright to look into, it should be behind a diffusing shade or bounced off a white ceiling or something. Bare light bulbs had always been considered unpleasant and it's a little mind-boggling to me that they've become trendy.
First thing I do when I move into a new place is take off the lightshades and never touch them again until I move out. It just feels dark to me if I don't have that direct, bare-bulb lighting. I don't care if you can measure it and show that it's actually just as bright or whatever, my brain is still telling me to turn on a loving light because it's too dark. It drives me insane.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Byzantine posted:

more like oldbraless

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Most music is fine.

I would like to know about your United States Marines Funko Pop collection, for some reason.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Robobot posted:

That commercial decoration theme, "hipster" bars, and ironic beer choices have been out of style for most of a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

That commercial decoration theme, "hipster" bars, and ironic beer choices have been out of style for most of a decade

Then why do they keep building them?