Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Renegret posted:

Every day I'm reminded that the bar for being considered a good dad is set excruciatingly low.

I got complimented today because I change diapers??? Apparently some dad's don't do that. Like what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

I got complimented today because I change diapers??? Apparently some dad's don't do that. Like what?

I got complimented at a wedding by an elderly lady because I was out in the church hallway bouncing my daughter in a (failed) attempt to get her to sleep so I could put her in her car seat. “Love to see you dads helping out and holding your kids!”

Which is both sad for them and for me too in weird way—it’s like we get participation trophies when people catch us doing what, in this day and age, dads are supposed to do: be parents. I guess back in that lady’s time, the men were off in their mahogany studies smoking pipes and telling their wives and kids not to disturb them so they could work on their golf swing

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Total nap time for baby today: 10 minutes. I finally got her to sleep in the stroller, but the sound of dad opening the screen door made her wake up. Big bottle and being rocked in her dimly lit room did nothing to put her back to sleep. 10 minutes of sleep over the course of 9 hours. :negative:

It’s almost time for dinner and she’s still showing no signs of sleepiness. I can only hope she’ll sleep well tonight, but she’s been going through a sleep regression and hasn’t slept through the night in 2 weeks and has more often than not been waking at 3am and not going to sleep for 1.5-2 hours.

My bed time is no later than 9 now, just to compensate for the lack of sleep I’ve been getting.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wait until the biodad's scumball attorney uses the fact that you send your daughter to his place with pull-ups and changes of clothes due to her coming back in pee-soaked underwear to paint your wife as an overbearing control freak to a disinterested judge.

We have mediation coming up because fuckface is refusing to sign off on a non-suit motion now that the stuff we wanted is moot and said associate judge set us for an October trail. Can't wait to walk into another buzzsaw.

And glad to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with imposture syndrome just because I keep doing what I think is the bare minimum of effort to keep my wife from killing me in my sleep only to discover that the bar is set so low I'm basically in low earth orbit above it.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Renegret posted:

Every day I'm reminded that the bar for being considered a good dad is set excruciatingly low.

I was the house-dad for three years, from my first son being a newborn all the way to 3yo and people didn't/STILL don't believe it when I tell them. Yes, my wife was the bread winner and I kept the house up and took care of our son. After doing that it's absolutely infuriating hearing about how some dads will literally do NOTHING for or with their kids. I just don't understand it.

Now things are reversed, I'm the bread winner and my wife is the stay at home parent and honestly my heart goes out to her. I'm so proud and inspired by her every day, to the point it drives me to new heights of effort at my own job. I was the house spouse with just one kid, and next to my current job it was absolutely the hardest job I've ever had. Now she's doing it with two (7 and 3), and dealing with virtual school, all during the plague times. I just can't imagine.

I get home from working 10-13 hours sometimes, dead on my feet (my job is physically intense to say the least) and when I come inside yeah, there are dishes in the sink and toys scattered about, and my wife actually feels GUILTY. gently caress that. I know what it's like! I know what you're dealing with! I KNOW how hard it is!

That's why when I get home and get showered, I grab both boys and dissappear into our bedroom for Thomas the Train etc. and action figure wars. Mom needs a break, I'll get mine when they fall asleep.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

L0cke17 posted:

My sister-in-law's husband didn't change their first-born's diapers until he was just shy of 2yo. And that was only because their second-born was making my sister-in-law very preoccupied. He's since become a pretty okay dad, but those first few years of fatherhood were not a good look for him.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

life is killing me posted:

I got complimented at a wedding by an elderly lady because I was out in the church hallway bouncing my daughter in a (failed) attempt to get her to sleep so I could put her in her car seat. “Love to see you dads helping out and holding your kids!”

Which is both sad for them and for me too in weird way—it’s like we get participation trophies when people catch us doing what, in this day and age, dads are supposed to do: be parents. I guess back in that lady’s time, the men were off in their mahogany studies smoking pipes and telling their wives and kids not to disturb them so they could work on their golf swing

About a year and a half ago my wife's grandma died. I got lots of compliments from random old people after the funeral at church for... keeping my kid quiet and entertained?

Like the gently caress was I supposed to do? Leave mommy by herself to do everything while I sat there bored at a funeral for a woman I never met?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My sister-in-law's husband didn't change their first-born's diapers until he was just shy of 2yo. And that was only because their second-born was making my sister-in-law very preoccupied. He's since become a pretty okay dad, but those first few years of fatherhood were not a good look for him.

Someone asked me a few weeks ago (over a month after my daughter was born) "Have you changed any dirty diapers yet?"
Yes about 100

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’m like, a diaper-changing expert, you guys

Anyway—night one of wife out of town and survived so far

Except that my toddler had a whole melatonin gummy, and 45 minutes later he’s tossing and turning and whining but not crying…like he’s having trouble sleeping. No idea wtf but hopefully this doesn’t go on all night. He’s gotta fall asleep sometime, right?

fake edit: went in there to ask him what’s wrong when I saw him sit up, and he goes, “I miss Mommy” as the reason he can’t fall asleep. Not sure I buy that

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 21, 2021

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Baby bedtime took all of 20 minutes, he was out by 7:50pm. Toddler was charged up, it took an hour and a half to get her to go to sleep. She was being so cute I couldn’t be frustrated, but every minute that ticked by was another minute of sleep I know I’m losing until the baby wakes up again, most likely at 11pm. It’s just before 10pm and I’m getting myself to sleep now so I can get a whole hour before I’m up again. Doesn’t help that baby still has a cold so I’ve been up soooooo much these past few nights sucking boogers out of his poor little nose.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Someone asked me a few weeks ago (over a month after my daughter was born) "Have you changed any dirty diapers yet?"
Yes about 100

I changed the baby's first diaper

This seemed to have solved ask diaper questions

Highly recommend

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

life is killing me posted:

fake edit: went in there to ask him what’s wrong when I saw him sit up, and he goes, “I miss Mommy” as the reason he can’t fall asleep. Not sure I buy that

Totally plausible I think.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

I also did that first diaper. Our daughter pretty much has a set time for pooping, i.e. 30 minutes after I pick her up from daycare and well before my wife gets home, so I end up changing most of them. In the last 3 years, nothing has come close to that first diaper.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

1up posted:

My oldest is 7 and one of the hallmarks of her combined ADHD is emotional dysregulation, so when she gets emotional it goes straight to a fuckin 10 and stays there for a bit. I have a very lovely note on my fridge that says "I don't hate you anymore" with a drawing of her and I in a heart.

When they told me that stuff they where very calm and reasonable. I never took offense because they weren't saying it in anger, just calmy saying it as if commenting on the weather, "daddy you hurt me when you said I couldn't buy X, I don't think you should live with us" and variations on that theme.

I calmy replied each time that I know but someone has to put their foot down and I would be doing them a disfavour if I allowed them to always get what they wanted, you don't always get what you want in life, etc etc.

These kids also diagnosed ADHD btw, looking like we're gonna have to consider medication for them to be able to perform in school even with their personal assistants.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 21, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We are on the medication journey with our 8 year old. It has made a world of difference. He's also in therapy to help him deal with his behavior as well. It took some trial and error, but it seems like we found a medication / dosage that is working for him right now. If you give it some time (I think usually a week) and it's not working, don't worry about going back to the doctor to talk about it. His first medication the dosage wasn't lasting long enough. When it got raised, it made him super aggressive and violent. We switched to a different type and it's working well! I don't get constant messages from his teacher about how he wasn't keeping his hands to himself, interrupting, or policing other student's behavior.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

femcastra posted:

Totally plausible I think.

Eh, it would be more plausible to me if he wasn’t supposed to be knocked the hell out, he told me his bottom hurt and he’s been having poop problems lately. Plus day three of doctor’s orders of half a capful of miralax last night. If he doesn’t improve today they will see him.

In other news I woke up this morning with lower left back pain, probably from sleeping weird but will see if it improves. Fine when I’m sitting, sucks rear end when I stand up and walk anywhere

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's just life, killing you.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's just life, killing you.

Heyyy oooooo

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

I changed the baby's first diaper

Highly recommend

That first diaper was full of colors I didn't know existed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I swear my kid can tell when my arm or back is sore and demands extra up-ups.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What the HELL are kids up to these days?

So, small backstory - my 7 year old daughter loves scary movies. Since she was about 4 when she accidentally watched Gremlins, she has loved them. We haven't really let her watch anything above Gremlins though and actually have scaled things back the past year or so.
She used to watch these Sirenhead videos on YouTube until we figured out she was watching them. One day she accidentally got onto some creepypasta stuff and scared the poo poo out of herself. YT is now banned and she doesn't watch any of that stuff anymore for at least a year now.

We also just moved to NC and she is at a new school.

Yesterday she came back telling us, just totally nonchalantly that they were playing "Killers" at recess. Wife and I immediately perked up.

"Uh what's killers? That sounds like something you shouldn't play."

"Oh don't worry - it's just tag, but we make it more fun by pretending we're all famous monsters."

"Like who?"

"Well today Ben was Pennywise, Neil was Slenderman, I was Slenderina - Slenderman's sister, and then there was Cartoon Dog and Cartoon Cat."

I was taken aback of course, but that was BEFORE I looked up who the gently caress Cartoon Dog & Cat were.

Holy poo poo.

Anyway I foresee some future parent calls coming our way.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Oh word it’s amplified by lovely parents manipulating their kids on YT to make them money? Awesome I love the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TGR8O9H5s

Fake edit: my first contribution was to say I think kids are just exposed to more scary stuff because of growing fandom among parents. Like this year a neighbor with a 6 and 9 year old already has his life size Pennywise mannequin out by the front door for Halloween. Last year one kid was Georgie and the other was Pennywise. Just how it is

But then I quickly googled Cartoon Dog and yea there ya go, like you said probably just unsupervised entertainment amplified by their being absolutely no platform-based content control

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
At least the playground game isn't "Elsa vaccinates pregnant Spider-Man" :shrug:

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shifty Pony posted:

I swear my kid can tell when my arm or back is sore and demands extra up-ups.

I have shifted my power-lifting to nights after kiddo goes down to avoid this fate. Thank goodness for garage gyms.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My dad let me watch lots of horror movies as a kid and got me to laugh at the goofy special effects. I think I watched Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was 4 or 5 as well. But the thing that really got to me as a kid was a show with a lake monster. It made me terrified of taking a bath and my parents had to replace the dark green bath mat with a pink one to get me to go in the tub again.

The show? It was an episode of Babar.

I do plan to be more responsible than my dad was about what my kid watches though.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

An acquaintance of mine let her kid goes as a super blood dripping cartoon cat for Halloween last year. He was 7.

I have a kid the same age and had no idea who it was or how a 7 year old finds out about it.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

wizzardstaff posted:

At least the playground game isn't "Elsa vaccinates pregnant Spider-Man" :shrug:

At least they’d be following current cdc recommendations for pregnant folks.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 8 year old was telling me about a playground game they play. He's the dad super hero (who is spiderman) and another kid is the mom super hero (who is wonder woman) and their kid doesn't know they're super heros. The kid finds out and runs away from home.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I look forward to days it rains just because I don't have to pedal a twenty year old bike uphill towing a carrier with a toddler to the park.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nessa posted:

My dad let me watch lots of horror movies as a kid and got me to laugh at the goofy special effects. I think I watched Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was 4 or 5 as well. But the thing that really got to me as a kid was a show with a lake monster. It made me terrified of taking a bath and my parents had to replace the dark green bath mat with a pink one to get me to go in the tub again.

The show? It was an episode of Babar.

I do plan to be more responsible than my dad was about what my kid watches though.

Ha she does love scary stuff though and I'm ok with some of it. She can watch Gremlins and she loves Goonies and some other light weight horror fare. But it's the really apocalyptic nightmare fuel like Cartoon Dog and Cartoon Cat (and Slenderman/Sirenhead) that I would like to keep her away from. A scary little monster is fine but something custom built to tap into lizard brain fight or flight dread just can't be good for a kid!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm afraid to google wtf cartoon dog and cartoon cat are...

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

truavatar posted:

I'm afraid to google wtf cartoon dog and cartoon cat are...

It's disturbing, do not recommend

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I don’t get angry easily but I discovered the most infuriating thing today. My baby hates the car. The car needed oil so I had to drive to get it. On the way there and back he is screaming bloody murder at the top of his lungs. I’m a mile from home, and the person in front of me is driving way below the speed limit in a no passing zone. 30 in a 45.

GOOOO FASTERRRRRRRRRRRR

davebo posted:

I look forward to days it rains just because I don't have to pedal a twenty year old bike uphill towing a carrier with a toddler to the park.

I dread rainy days because we can’t go to the park and instead my toddler had to find ways to burn off energy inside.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

I don’t get angry easily but I discovered the most infuriating thing today. My baby hates the car. The car needed oil so I had to drive to get it. On the way there and back he is screaming bloody murder at the top of his lungs. I’m a mile from home, and the person in front of me is driving way below the speed limit in a no passing zone. 30 in a 45.

GOOOO FASTERRRRRRRRRRRR

I dread rainy days because we can’t go to the park and instead my toddler had to find ways to burn off energy inside.

Hey there fellow car-hating baby buddy. It's really frustrating, especially cause you hear so much about people whose babies love the car/fall right to sleep in the car.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

hallo spacedog posted:

Hey there fellow car-hating baby buddy. It's really frustrating, especially cause you hear so much about people whose babies love the car/fall right to sleep in the car.

Our second was/still is like this. We were so confused because the car always worked so well for our older child, but the younger has hated it since he was born. He's now almost 3 and still whines and complains and fusses if he is in the car longer than 10 minutes. I keep telling myself he will outgrow it or eventually get over it...

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I seem to find myself behind slow movers or pedantic RIGHT EXACTLY AT THE SPEED LIMIT folks on my no passing road I take to get home, every single time one or both of the kids are really pissed. Seems like an eternity and my wife is over next to me going, “Don’t tailgate them Babe. We are almost home…”

I DO NOT CARE. I MUST TAILGATE THEM IN ORDER FOR THEM TO SEE THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Douche4Sale posted:

Our second was/still is like this. We were so confused because the car always worked so well for our older child, but the younger has hated it since he was born. He's now almost 3 and still whines and complains and fusses if he is in the car longer than 10 minutes. I keep telling myself he will outgrow it or eventually get over it...

Oh no please don't tell me this could last several more years

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
We got one of those DVD players that hangs from the headrest and my kid went from hating the car to getting excited to get in.

Downside is listening to the same goddamn sesame street DVD a million times

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Ha she does love scary stuff though and I'm ok with some of it. She can watch Gremlins and she loves Goonies and some other light weight horror fare. But it's the really apocalyptic nightmare fuel like Cartoon Dog and Cartoon Cat (and Slenderman/Sirenhead) that I would like to keep her away from. A scary little monster is fine but something custom built to tap into lizard brain fight or flight dread just can't be good for a kid!

Gremlins is awesome and a great early horror movie. Cute mascot character with Gizmo and enough humour to keep things from getting too dark.

Has she seen many older Don Bluth films? I always loved them as a kid because they weren’t afraid to get a little scary at times. Land Before Time, Secret of NIMH, and All Dogs Go To Heaven primarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hallo spacedog posted:

Oh no please don't tell me this could last several more years

fwiw mine hated the car when he was born but grew to love it once we started taking him to school every day.

Now that he's forward facing and he can see better everything's so much more fun too