Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Sefal posted:

I’m just gonna keep on going with my AW5. Its been amazing. Don’t see a need to get the 7

Yeah same. Battery is at 92% and I use it as a wrist alarm so still pretty good. From
When I wake up to out the door it is charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

WatchOS 8 is kind of a nothingburger, but does anyone know why they added extra taps to reply to messages? I don’t get what the benefit here is supposed to be.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

WatchOS 8 is kind of a nothingburger, but does anyone know why they added extra taps to reply to messages? I don’t get what the benefit here is supposed to be.

Yeah, those are SUPER annoying. I've been submitting feedback every beta revision to change it.

The last revision changed it from "tap app store button > tap voice dictation icon" to "tap keyboard area > tap voice dictation icon" and I had NO clue. So I kept doing voice recordings when I thought I was doing voice dictation. I was super confused because my words weren't showing up on the screen, so I ended up sending a bunch of "hey yeah that sounds like a good idea. I'll get the kids at wait what the gently caress is going on with this goddamn watch" voice recordings to half my contacts until I figured out they moved it.

Adding a second tap to delete apps from your home screen is a garbage change too.

The only nice thing I've noticed is that doing a run workout, it now will announce your mile pace every mile. And also when it auto-pauses and resumes.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 20, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

I don’t do watch betas, so no feedback assistant but I did make a stop to the Apple feedback site. I don’t get it, in the older versions you could choose your default reply method- no idea why they took that out. The tips app promotes being able to scribble, dictate and send poo poo “all on one screen!” but in practice it’s just annoying.

Also is there any way to keep the “Apple watch keyboard input” pop up on all my devices anytime I try to reply on my watch? It’s the same kind of alert you get on your phone trying to enter text on the Apple TV but now it’s anytime I try to do anything on my watch. I love continuity and handoff, but it’s something that should be an active choice.

Edit: The only way I know to get the alerts to stop is by turning off handoff from the watch settings;

Edit 2: Nope, the pop ups are still there anytime I try to reply to a message on my watch. This sucks.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 20, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good job Apple at being smart enough to automatically sync recently played music to my watch, but not smart enough to delete some of it if it needs space for an OS update, which then forces me to completely disable music syncing, wait a few minutes for the watch to purge everything, and then try the update again.

At least I don't have to unpair it like series 3 folks do. But maybe they're telling me that the series 4 is next on the chopping block.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Where is the option to turn on Assistive Touch?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

tofes posted:

Where is the option to turn on Assistive Touch?

I found it in the watch app, accessibility, then about 2/3 down to turn it on.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I found it in the watch app, accessibility, then about 2/3 down to turn it on.

Did the series 5 not get it? I can't find it anywhere

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

tofes posted:

Did the series 5 not get it? I can't find it anywhere

Sorry, I jumped the gun- apparently it’s only 6, SE, and later.

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/assistivetouch-apdec70bfd2d/watchos

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Sorry, I jumped the gun- apparently it’s only 6, SE, and later.

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/assistivetouch-apdec70bfd2d/watchos

drat, thanks. It even popped up on my "what's new in WatchOS 8" when I updated my watch

edit: Quick question for anyone that can answer, does it allow you to wake the watch up with a "tap" gesture? It would be very useful to me if I could keep the watch awake one handed without having to keep rolling my wrist every 5 seconds

tofes fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 20, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s cool that I was able to update my S3 to watchOS 8 without unpairing it.

I hope they continue with smaller sized updates so long as they are still selling the S3.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did a run today and didn’t get any audio notifications at each mile even though I have Voice Feedback enabled. Argh.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Updated to OS8 and I noticed my battery dropped today more than usual. I know someone mentioned before checking to see if certain apps were hogging the system, is there a way to check that?

Also, I noticed these two symbols when I swipe up. If I click on them, I get this screen but I cannot do anything with it. Does this mean that my phone is constantly doing location checks?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Having this now, my opinion is that it was a loving stupid decision and makes texting harder

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the code checking if you have access to the new keyboard or not. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

WatchOS 8 is kind of a nothingburger

This is wrong, in a week they add Tai Chi !

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Since I won't feel comfortable going to a gym for a while still, and I officially have No Excuse Anymore(tm) thanks to a doctor's mandate to lose weight, I have decided it might be good to buy an Apple Watch because many people in my life has sworn by it for getting in shape. I'll probably wait for the Series 7 and pre order that as soon as I'm able.

Couple opinions I'd like to get ITT if anyone can share:

-Does anyone have the bigger 44mm watch and regret it? I have an average-sized wrist for a man and by Apple's own recommendation I could go either way. I wear a G-Shock square all day so I'm fairly used to bulkiness, but I'm just curious if that's, like, too too much

-is the solo band sizing tool accurate in any way shape for form? I feel like I don't trust this printout

-Curious to hear anyone's experience with Apple Fitness+ (I know there's a free trial and I will check it out whenever I get a watch, but just interested if its as cool as it looks what with your calories and heartrate beamed up on screen)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Watch size is up to you, I’m pretty happy with the smaller size, isn’t the watch on the phone Apple Store life sized so you can hold it to your wrist and compare?

I sized my loop from the paper cutout too and feel like I should’ve gone a size smaller as like my bands snug. It does fit well, however, no risk of like sliding off.

Fitness+ I can’t help you as it’s not released in Germany yet :argh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I really like Fitness+, the trainers are corny as gently caress but in a kinda endearing way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My first watch years ago was the bigger one and I really disliked it, it was like strapping a brick to my arm. The smaller one suits me a lot better.

(I have the most average body shape in the world, 5'10" and neither skinny or a bulked out gym rat)

Apple has a pretty generous return policy so get the one you think you'll like and wear it for a week, you have 14 days to bring it back no questions asked.

Fitness+ isn't really my thing, we did a trial when it came out and I hate coaches pep talking me through exercise. If I need a routine I'll just scour YouTube and take note of the steps.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The worst thing about Fitness+ to me is it doesn't have a Mac app, so as someone without an iPad or Apple TV right now (an ATV wouldn't help in the space I have though) I'm left using my phone. I'd probably be way happier with it if I had an iPad or they'd just put the drat thing on the Mac already so I could use my Macbook.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

njsykora posted:

The worst thing about Fitness+ to me is it doesn't have a Mac app, so as someone without an iPad or Apple TV right now (an ATV wouldn't help in the space I have though) I'm left using my phone. I'd probably be way happier with it if I had an iPad or they'd just put the drat thing on the Mac already so I could use my Macbook.

Definitely a workaround and I agree they should have a Mac app but you could mirror your iPhone screen to your Mac using QuickTime, right?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At this point it’s safe to outright ignore the rumor mill regarding watches. I think they whiffed with the 6 rumors last year and this year was a massive whiff on the design. The reliable sources just ain’t there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Since I won't feel comfortable going to a gym for a while still, and I officially have No Excuse Anymore(tm) thanks to a doctor's mandate to lose weight, I have decided it might be good to buy an Apple Watch because many people in my life has sworn by it for getting in shape. I'll probably wait for the Series 7 and pre order that as soon as I'm able.

-Does anyone have the bigger 44mm watch and regret it? I have an average-sized wrist for a man and by Apple's own recommendation I could go either way. I wear a G-Shock square all day so I'm fairly used to bulkiness, but I'm just curious if that's, like, too too much

-is the solo band sizing tool accurate in any way shape for form? I feel like I don't trust this printout

-Curious to hear anyone's experience with Apple Fitness+ (I know there's a free trial and I will check it out whenever I get a watch, but just interested if its as cool as it looks what with your calories and heartrate beamed up on screen)

Hi, I am probably similar to you in a lot of this. I worked out at a gym years ago, but even before COVID I just wasn’t going, and of course would not go post COVID.

Overall, I do think the Apple Watch loving rules. You def still need your phone pretty much the whole time in my opinion, but I used it for a few things:

-notifications when on the go, I can keep my phone in my pocket more. Plus time

-I used to work retail, so having the watch became essential. I now work at home, so I will say I don’t wear my watch at my desk because it gets uncomfortable, but this personally does not bother me

-I have the 6 44. Works great for me, my (male) wrist is pretty small, I don’t think it’s too big. I actually had the 38mm prior, which also was still fine, so either size is recommended

-Apple Pay works well

-Fitness+ : so yeah, this was a good twist last year. Gotta tell you, it overall works for me. I am def not w super workout person, but I try and do the yoga daily, and both the Hit and core are good. Full disclosure, I was in a good rhythm of doing one yoga , one other workout a day, ever since I moved I haven’t 100% picked it back up yet. But the workouts themselves I would 100% recommend.

The trainees do say silly stuff, it’s def very Apple / Disney sunshine and rainbows, but it’s still a good balance on the actual workouts.

Probably not for everyone, but I legit don’t think I would be doing anything other than occasional walks if not for apple fitness. Also, all you really need is a yoga mat (besides the watch).

Edit: watch bands: I never got the fitted ones. I’m on team sport loop, I think it’s the most comfortable one. I alternate between sport loop and sport band, which i also find comfortable. Don’t go swimming with the loop though, def switch to the band for that one.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I’m an avg 6’ man and 44mm is great for me.

I use fitness+ for core and yoga and it’s great in my opinion. I don’t do any of the burn bar stuff because I have a peloton bike+ that syncs to my watch and that’s great too. Now, would have waited a few months and got a different bike to use only AF+ if I could do it again and I’m not sure to be honest. Both services complement each other to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

-notifications when on the go, I can keep my phone in my pocket more. Plus time

I'll say this, just having a watch again after many years is way handier than I was expecting. Notifications are also super nice since I can leave my phone when it's charging and still get my reminders and such.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 44mm isn't particularly big at all and if you're a G-Shock wearer, you'll think it's positively tiny.

I've been using AF+ basically since it launched mostly doing strength and yoga (occasionally core and HIIT) and it's quite good. I can't compare to other services like Peloton, but there's a decent variety of workouts. Definitely do the trial.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you’re going to be working out, I’d suggest getting one size down if you get a solo loop. If you have an apple store nearby I’d definitely suggest going in and trying on different sizes. I exchanged mine down a size twice before I was happy and it was a super annoying process.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Awesome, thanks for all of your insights.

Only thing to do now is wait for the watch to come out uhh...sometime maybe perhaps soon but who knows

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The updates to the timer app in the new OS are all terrible.

Edit: Wait, not all, now it has a low power mode that doesn’t show the seconds that is better than the old default view that showed the time overlay.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 23, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

Edit: Wait, not all, now it has a low power mode that doesn’t show the seconds that is better than the old default view that showed the time overlay.
Mean the always on/inactive view? Third parties can do that now too btw...we'll see how many put the effort into actually doing it. Course I think most of my usage is first party apps anyway.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

At first I thought it was broken but yeah it’s just some low power mode it seems.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Updated to OS8 and I noticed my battery dropped today more than usual. I know someone mentioned before checking to see if certain apps were hogging the system, is there a way to check that?

Not directly, but after a year my S6 is still at 99% battery health- and I'm seeing a bigger drop in battery this week too. I've tried using a couple different complications since I am an Infograph Modular man, but it's maybe a 10% drop from my usual battery life. It's not "Stuck app eats 85% of your battery one morning" bad, but if it doesn't improve in the 8.1 that's in beta now it may be Unpair and re-pair time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol: my launch 6 is at 87%

:sigh: I’m battery cursed

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
My launch-ish 4 is at 87%. But it's after midnight and I'm at 50% remaining, so I think it'll hold me over until the 8 (or the 9, if the 8 is as minimal of an upgrade as the 7 is) just fine.

The only thing I really wish I had is always on display, but I can wait.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Anyone else having an issue with dismissing texts/iMessages on watchOS 8.0?

Every time I tap Dismiss on a message notification, it dismisses it but it also sends whatever suggested reply was under the dismiss button.

(I know I can retrain myself to just not use the dismiss button, but this seems like an bug and I’m curious if I just need to wipe and reinstall or if everyone is experiencing it)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I downsized my braided loops by 1 size from the “official” measurement. They were sort of tight and uncomfortable at first but after a week they weren’t uncomfortable and after a month or so they’ve stretched to the perfect size where they’re both cozy and tight.

The internet says downsize by 1 and I agree.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Anyone else having an issue with dismissing texts/iMessages on watchOS 8.0?

Every time I tap Dismiss on a message notification, it dismisses it but it also sends whatever suggested reply was under the dismiss button.

(I know I can retrain myself to just not use the dismiss button, but this seems like an bug and I’m curious if I just need to wipe and reinstall or if everyone is experiencing it)

I had it happen a couple of times with the automated messages for bill pays so I didn’t look like a fool but I too am having this issue.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does anyone know why there’s no link-style band for 38/40/41 size watches, be it from Apple or reputable third parties? Is it just “looks goofy”? I wish there was an option besides the Milanese loops.

Edit: never mind, there is one from Apple. Jesus though, $349 😰

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

illcendiary posted:

Does anyone know why there’s no link-style band for 38/40/41 size watches, be it from Apple or reputable third parties? Is it just “looks goofy”? I wish there was an option besides the Milanese loops.

Edit: never mind, there is one from Apple. Jesus though, $349 😰
What do you mean by no link style?