Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Where was this posted? I remember trying to find this in The Before Times the last time I managed to get AFFO to the table.

Would love to read the reasonings behind the removals if it's more involved than 'Bad and Duds'

It's in Mini-Erweiterung II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I love when this thread evolves into an in-depth discussion of AFfO. I'm totally baffled when people I'd expect to enjoy it bounce off completely but partly I think the Agricola mind-virus/contrarian hipsterism is just so strong that they cannot accept the one true King of Westeros.

To this day my closest board-gaming friend thinks he's "solved" the game because he just emigrated the entire time. I have tried to explain that this is like solving dominion via Big Money but you cannot get a man to change his mind when his reputation as a board gaming genius depends on it. I also think that it's really neat that for a game that appears as static as it is with regard to the board and action spots, that there is so much discussion and debate about strategy and methods to succeed.

Also, it was a little while back but someone here wrote about how they were bored or un-thrilled by the game, something I don't get that at all unless you're not playing it properly (I know I know) because when you start getting those bonuses and puzzling things out nicely the dopamine hits are real and I can feel my heart racing. Add to that the natural increase in abilities via the near-perfect system of just giving players more vikings every round... :discourse: Can't wait for more official content from the game and hopefully that the BGA implementation works nicely and, God willing, has Norwegians eventually.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

I love when this thread evolves into an in-depth discussion of AFfO. I'm totally baffled when people I'd expect to enjoy it bounce off completely but partly I think the Agricola mind-virus/contrarian hipsterism is just so strong that they cannot accept the one true King of Westeros.

To this day my closest board-gaming friend thinks he's "solved" the game because he just emigrated the entire time. I have tried to explain that this is like solving dominion via Big Money but you cannot get a man to change his mind when his reputation as a board gaming genius depends on it. I also think that it's really neat that for a game that appears as static as it is with regard to the board and action spots, that there is so much discussion and debate about strategy and methods to succeed.

Also, it was a little while back but someone here wrote about how they were bored or un-thrilled by the game, something I don't get that at all unless you're not playing it properly (I know I know) because when you start getting those bonuses and puzzling things out nicely the dopamine hits are real and I can feel my heart racing. Add to that the natural increase in abilities via the near-perfect system of just giving players more vikings every round... :discourse: Can't wait for more official content from the game and hopefully that the BGA implementation works nicely and, God willing, has Norwegians eventually.

Alternatively you just fail to whale 3 times and that's you done.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lot of competitive motherfuckers ITT

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
It is cool to read people with detailed breakdowns, even for games that I do not play.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The best part about Odin is that 9/10 whatever weird engine you're building works fairly well no matter what.

Denying placement while still benefiting from the slot you occupy is generally what I like to do, and being able to read game state early is invaluable once you know what to look for.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

Err, the player who places vikings last goes first. That's why my line being 4 actions is important. If you've played the opposite way that changes the game enormously.
Thanks for the list, I'll probably implement that since a lot of them are too weak to ever see play.

You're right, sorry about that. Got my worker placement games mixed up :v:
I'd say it's still a good answer to your opening, but if your opponent really wants to go first, there are a number of good openings with 4+ actions that don't involve whaling boats. 1V mountain, 2V knarr, 1V island, 1V whatever, 1V theft works quite well since it's unlikely other players will go longship + 1V island for their first turn. You can most likely get 3 silver out of this start if you REALLY want to steal the whaling T2.
I just don't agree with the idea that whaling and pillaging are always the way to go, at least not in Norwegians. The devs did a great job making other options just as interesting (unless you're extremely lucky).

Infinitum posted:

Where was this posted? I remember trying to find this in The Before Times the last time I managed to get AFFO to the table.

Would love to read the reasonings behind the removals if it's more involved than 'Bad and Duds'

here it is
It's mostly as you said, but some choices are explained.

FulsomFrank posted:

:hfive:

I've seen one of those emigration players. It's their loss. Base AFfO has its problems but Norwegians is such a beautifully balanced game :allears:

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 20, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

One thing that I find super neat about AFfO is that the growing crop of vikings means that workers don't really have a fixed value that stays constant throughout the game. There's a sort of depreciation going on regarding the workers since the new viking you get on e.g. the second last round only gets to be used twice, and on a more crowded board at that, which in effect means it is in some ways "worth" less than a viking you got in an earlier round. (Even though it's mechanically identical in game terms.) I don't have a good way to show my work on this, but I think I'm onto something.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

On topic:
https://twitter.com/asatru_uk/status/1440044741295435776

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

One thing that I find super neat about AFfO is that the growing crop of vikings means that workers don't really have a fixed value that stays constant throughout the game. There's a sort of depreciation going on regarding the workers since the new viking you get on e.g. the second last round only gets to be used twice, and on a more crowded board at that, which in effect means it is in some ways "worth" less than a viking you got in an earlier round. (Even though it's mechanically identical in game terms.) I don't have a good way to show my work on this, but I think I'm onto something.

But yeah this, I often note that one of the things that let me deeply enjoy Feast was the fact that there was, unlike most games with growing worker numbers, a fixed schedule. You get a new worker every turn. No competing for more actions, which is very often the best thing to do because more actions means doing more things.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've played a fair bit of affo and recent posts about removing certain occupation cards made me realize I'm not sure what I should be doing with them during setup.

Should I shuffle the modified A, B, and C decks together? Is there a list of cards that I should include for the best possible experience?

Our group probably plays at least 75% of occupation cards face down, I'd like to see them matter a bit more.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
To promote more occupation use in my group, I removed the obvious broken cards like princess and culled the decks using the following guide:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x-PAwV4yeAvERHqmRp42_zp15VIS2hAe9W5oiAqoPaU/edit#gid=1484601290
I think I removed every occupation with a final score below 5 from the deck.
As a result we're playing occupations a lot more leading ot interesting strategies.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The Eyes Have It posted:

You're correct that a viking early is worth more than a viking in the late game but the winner is always going to be the person that got the most points per viking, obviously. Later in the game you have the problem of a more crowded board so getting that efficiency is harder.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

This is a sick carving

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What’s the best flying frog co-op game? I love their art but are there any that has minimal randomness?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I thought Flying Frog just used photos of themselves LARPing instead of art

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Golden Bee posted:

What’s the best flying frog co-op game? I love their art but are there any that has minimal randomness?

Based on some slightly old memories:

* Last Night on Earth is probably the best answer - it has randomness but it's the one with the least randomness and that works the best as a game
* Touch of Evil works well in recreating the atmosphere of a slightly crappy gothic horror but felt pretty arbitrary to me - you wander around, nothing happens then a monster suddenly attacks you
* Fortune and Glory felt really busy and a bit unfair, like some players just happened to go in the right direction and do the right things. This is based on one play however.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Golden Bee posted:

Last Night on Earth was one of the first hobby board games I got, alongside Ticket to Ride. I have many fond memories playing that one over and over as a freshman in college over ten years ago. I haven't played it much since then because I fear the last decade of playing other games will sour it.

A Touch of Evil is similar. I didn't play that one as much, but I remember playing a memorable game on these here forums.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I still play Last Night On Earth every once in a while. It's fun, provided everyone accepts that you're all in a horror movie and as a result you will sometimes get absolutely hosed and die horribly. It's extremely luck-based - for me the fun is in a kind of narrative unfolding as the game goes on.

My favourite time was when I was zombies up against 4 heroes: Father Joseph the priest, Johnny the jock, Billy the sheriff's son and Sally the highschool sweetheart. The jock charged off, found a baseball bat and did a good job killing almost all the zombies in the highschool but ended up getting bitten and becoming a zombie himself. The other two kids managed to escape, got their hands on a handgun and met up with the priest at the chapel - who had found some dynamite and a torch. We liked to imagine he just randomly had dynamite in the church, and torches on the wall for some reason.

Zombies completely surrounded the church and it was looking grim. Billy managed to shoot a hole for him and Sally to escape through, but Joseph got stuck behind with a bad movement roll. He lit the dynamite and sacrificed himself to kill a tonne of zombies. Billy and Sally ran into the cornfields (where you can avoid fights on a 4+) and made their way to the barn, hoping to find more weapons to fight back. They didn't, and Billy ran out of ammo for his pistol. Zombies closed in on them, and I played 'This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth' on them - which makes a male and a female character miss their turn because they're, er, busy. Then the zombies, led by Zombie Johnny tore them to shreds just before the sun came up.

Fun story, and we all had a good time. But keep in mind that Joseph died because he rolled a 1 to move. Johnny died because I had a card that gave a zombie extra dice in a fight, and I rolled higher. Sally and Billy could've theoretically fought things off but I had a card that gave me a whole extra turn and therefore a bunch of extra cards to swarm in on them. It's not a game you'll want to play if you are into deep strategy and don't like dying very abruptly even though you had a solid plan.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Quite enjoying Black Sonata after two games. It's pretty easy so far - I won both games without much challenge - but I see the difficulty level can be raised so I will have to play with that. Also I have the expansion to add at some point, which I guess will be soon seeing as it's not exactly a very heavy game.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If anyone is interested in picking up The Great Zimbabwe from Splotter they have about 60 left of the newest print run that is due to arrive on October 15th. They had 80+ when I bought my copy a few hours ago so they probably won't be around long if you are keen.

Last print run was 2016 by the looks of it so it could be 5+ years before the next reprint.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not that I'm buying it, the BGG description doesn't make it sound like my jam, but do you have a recommended video for it?

Always love checking out new games.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Only today have I noticed that Odin is spelled as he is depicted, with one i.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Infinitum posted:

Not that I'm buying it, the BGG description doesn't make it sound like my jam, but do you have a recommended video for it?

Always love checking out new games.

Heavy cardboard have done a couple of playthroughs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGHli76wtMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePPuleCnAE8

If you know other splotter games I have seen it compared to a lighter, faster playing food chain magnate. I think because the map is modular and there is an element of distance being important people draw comparisons but they are pretty different apart from that imo. It has a really unique and awesome way of bidding for player order every turn and there is a mechanic where you can easily get very powerful rule breaking abilities but to compensate your victory point goal also increases. So one player who doesn't take rulebreakers might only need to get 20 points to win the game and someone who goes heavy on grabbing powerful abilities might need 40 and by most accounts the game is still really balanced. It seems like there are people regularly organising tournaments still on BGG despite the game being 9 years old at this point which is a testament to how tight it is as a design.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

on the topic of A Touch of Evil, the very very best part of that game is by far the soundtrack which starts off with a track having someone half scream MUUUUURDER and then some random music plays

I, uh, strongly dislike that game now.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember homebrewing rules for zombie movement in Last Night on Earth. I was pretty happy with them.

The Great Zimbabwe is a super cool design, it's on boardgamecore of you want to try it out. I think it really benefits from a digital implementation especially for highlighting legal moves. (Sometimes it gets tricky, at least for me.)

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Terraforming Mars is one of my favorite games so I know what you mean. FFO is the better balanced game of the 2 obviously but Terra isn't as badly balanced as some would claim.

Out of curiosity, do you not like worker placement in general? I haven't played that many of them but FFO is easily my favorite game in the scope of decently balanced competitive games. I've yet to ascend to playing obscure train based games and 6h+ diplomacy games though.

I have limited experience with the genre. Just FFO and Dungeon Petz, really.

Generally I prefer a little more active conflict in my games. I think a euro I like that would be a decent comparison would be Food Chain Magnet, as that's def a sterile econ sim / space competition like FFO. But at least you can gently caress some lil burg pleb with your strong strong pizzas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oops I unbookmarked the thread for 500 posts!

So Gencon was this week and I was able to make last minute arrangements to attend, mostly to see some good friends that I hadn't seen in two years.

The con itself was definitely a different beast this year and all things considered I felt pretty safe there. I saw the pictures of the first day door crowding and while that was obviously a mess that was not like what I encountered at any time during the weekend. Going in a local Indi grocery store felt significantly more risky both times given the complete lack of masks there. Like everything these days, we all measure the risk in any social gathering and act accordingly and hopefully smartly. I got tested yesterday and have no contact with anyone but my wife who is tested weekly at work as well, and at the con I did no events or had any real contact with or extended time around strangers.

This is what the dealer hall looked like about 20 minutes after opening on Fri I think. If you're familiar with Gencon you know this is a complete ghost town compared to normal. I think in general the organizers did a great job and the worst part of the weekend was Sunday when the football stadium crowd bled over to the ICC and they were all walking around maskless (I was leaving but hear it just got worse). Overall Gencon really did feel like a safe bubble so I commend them for mostly pulling it off.

Other than the size and crowd changes I spent my con like I do most years, hanging with goon friends and playing games in isolated areas away from the craziness of the con at large. Now for the (small) number of new games

Kabuto Sumo is every bit as charming as I'd hoped. The round pieces really make it a complicated game of predicting physics from what seems like an easy move. The asymmetric bugs don't feel the most balanced but the unique pieces and powers make repeat plays a joy since matches take 5-10 minutes. The setup is a little fiddly but only takes ~60 seconds after the first few times.

Air Land & Sea Critters edition is not only better art but a better presentation of the information thanks to better color choices. Identical to the original otherwise, but no reason not to get this version now.

The Crew Deep Sea - A killer followup to the first. The new mission construction method makes the game have infinite replay-ability thanks to the way your objective changes even for repeated mission plays. I think you can play through the original missions with no issue using this so I'd just recommend this one fully over the first (and downloading the mission book for the first).

Unfathomable - It's just BSG with a few minor balance and gameplay changes. I don't have the long legacy with BSG that many here do but it felt good in my 1 1/2 plays.

Schotten Totten 2 - the asymmetric sides actually work way better than I expected. It feels like tower defense for the defender in a really satisfying way. Not sure about the balance yet but I was really impressed with the iteration on a classic.

Frosthaven had a glass box display of the contents and lol that's so much poo poo

that's all I can think of for now

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yes Friday would have been perfect for me. Normally I can't go to cons like Gencon or Pax because I can't hear well enough. But Candice from BGG said that yes, she thought that the demos and such would have been easy enough for me on Friday. Oh well, missed what was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for me (although who knows maybe I'll live long enough for hearing aids that will actually let me hear in a noisy environment, current ones don't).

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Crowds that size are about all I’m interested in dealing with, pandemic or no. I’d love to hit GenCon someday but… but my misanthropy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ellaybee posted:

Crowds that size are about all I’m interested in dealing with, pandemic or no. I’d love to hit GenCon someday but… but my misanthropy

Yeah even with the ~1/3rd size crowd and much more open space it was pretty exhausting to have that much people time so condensed after a year and a half of nothing. Normal sized crowds would have been entirely overwhelming even if things were 100% safe.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have recommendations for which Flesh and Blood Blitz decks are worth picking up?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Give me some good coop games, thread. My partner and I have Pandemic Season 0 and 1, Spirit Island (which is the maximum complexity level she will stomach) and Sherlock Holmes (Irregulars), but we only have a couple of plays left of Sherlock and Pandemic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Jaws of the Lion is roughly as complex as Spirit Island and is a great coop.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Fat Samurai posted:

Give me some good coop games, thread. My partner and I have Pandemic Season 0 and 1, Spirit Island (which is the maximum complexity level she will stomach) and Sherlock Holmes (Irregulars), but we only have a couple of plays left of Sherlock and Pandemic.

I hope you're getting on well with Sherlock BSI.

As far as more co-op, if you are still game for some more non-legacy non-narrative Pandemic and you can get a copy, I really like Pandemic Iberia. Widely considered to be the best non-Legacy Pandemic, I talked about it at great length in the draft thread.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Magnetic North posted:

I hope you're getting on well with Sherlock BSI.

As far as more co-op, if you are still game for some more non-legacy non-narrative Pandemic and you can get a copy, I really like Pandemic Iberia. Widely considered to be the best non-Legacy Pandemic, I talked about it at great length in the draft thread.

That is a good one. Just tweaks the original formulae enough to tighten the game up and puts it in an interesting setting.

Amongst the other weird variants (not infections but water / Cthulhu / barbarians), what's interesting? I've always wanted to try them but no one local owns them.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

nordichammer posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for which Flesh and Blood Blitz decks are worth picking up?

I just got into the game a couple of weeks ago by picking up the Boltyn and Levia decks. I'd say stay away from Levia in the beginning as it really feels like she really suffers the most without access to the actual card pool of Flesh & Blood, whereas Prism, Boltyn, and Chane all seem to at least demonstrate their basic game plan with the Blitz deck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nonathlon posted:

That is a good one. Just tweaks the original formulae enough to tighten the game up and puts it in an interesting setting.

Amongst the other weird variants (not infections but water / Cthulhu / barbarians), what's interesting? I've always wanted to try them but no one local owns them.

Rodney just put up the Watch It Played video for Wrath of the Lich King. He quite likes it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

nonathlon posted:

It's actually the only one I've tried, so I can't help you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Jcam posted:

I just got into the game a couple of weeks ago by picking up the Boltyn and Levia decks. I'd say stay away from Levia in the beginning as it really feels like she really suffers the most without access to the actual card pool of Flesh & Blood, whereas Prism, Boltyn, and Chane all seem to at least demonstrate their basic game plan with the Blitz deck.

You are the best.