Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

My neutron has a buddy now

Cool. That should be lots of fun together. Can you send cv and gate from the crave sequencer? And maybe have it sequence outboard gear alongside the normalled connections?
Also, can I ask which overlay you have on your neutron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
I think you need more booping boxes, you clearly have space

Not really. I had to displace my pedals to fit the crave on my music table. I also have a massive RD-8 coming so I'm gonna need to get a shoe rack or something.

B33rChiller posted:

Cool. That should be lots of fun together. Can you send cv and gate from the crave sequencer? And maybe have it sequence outboard gear alongside the normalled connections?

I'm kind of a noob so I'm not sure what normalled means. I am able to send keyboard CV and gate from the crave to the neutron. I can then get the crave to mix with the neutron by summing neutron osc 1+2 and crave vca out -> neutron vca in. I currently do not plug the crave directly into my mixer because I have to use a 1/4th to 1/8th adapter and the connection is really tall and sketchy (there's no rear output).

B33rChiller posted:

Also, can I ask which overlay you have on your neutron?

It's this one: https://www.oversynth.com/product-page/behringer-neutron-v2-firmware-colors-front-panel-overlay

CatBlack fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 14, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dzus posted:

You got it! The all rosewood neck feels awesome with a little bit of wax, I've heard awful things about the pickups but I think they sound great.

The what now neck? I need more pictures. For reasons unrelated to the very large erection I am currently having. The pink and rosewood headstock is enough on it's own, but i really wanna see that neck too!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CatBlack posted:

Not really. I had to displace my pedals to fit the crave on my music table. I also have a massive RD-8 coming so I'm gonna need to get a shoe rack or something.

Its time to start building up, mount the neutron on the wall

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I mean the internal connections. If I understand correctly, the crave has a sequencer that can play notes without having to connect it with patch cables, right? If so, I was wondering if it could sequence the crave, and at the same time send a copy of those signals over a patch cable elsewhere?

Oh, and thanks for the link

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

I mean the internal connections. If I understand correctly, the crave has a sequencer that can play notes without having to connect it with patch cables, right? If so, I was wondering if it could sequence the crave, and at the same time send a copy of those signals over a patch cable elsewhere?

Yes, the sequencer will sequence the crave without any patching. It has gate and keyboard CV out on the patch bay and hooking that up to something else will send a copy of the sequence.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Darkglass Microtubes B3k overdrive finally came in.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

After a couple of weeks, my OP-1 is finally at home amongst the mess of wires in my bedroom:

Not pictured are the Pocket Operators I got alongside it, as I’ve barely delved into those yet (not that there’s much to delve into with them, tbf).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

Yes, the sequencer will sequence the crave without any patching. It has gate and keyboard CV out on the patch bay and hooking that up to something else will send a copy of the sequence.
Hohoho!
That looks to be a lot of fun.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

BonHair posted:

The what now neck? I need more pictures. For reasons unrelated to the very large erection I am currently having. The pink and rosewood headstock is enough on it's own, but i really wanna see that neck too!

You got it.

It did have some small little issues to iron out, a fret dot was high and there was some excess glue around the skunk stripe. Nothing some steel wool couldn't fix though. I've seen some people have issues with the frets pushing or needing a level, I'm a little surprised that more stores don't have their techs go over a $1500+ guitar for a quick and dirty setup/fret dressing before it goes on the wall, but hey.

I also grabbed a picture pretty representative of the paint on it.

I picked it up on clearance, and guitar center being guitar center lost all the paperwork and the special half-ashtray bridge cover I'll never use.

Dzus fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 15, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Dzus posted:

You got it.

They're such nice necks. I got one of the American Pro Jazzmasters with the solid rosewood neck recently (pic angle makes it look short scale but it isn't).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That tele and JM are both gorgeous as hell

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dzus posted:

You got it.

It did have some small little issues to iron out, a fret dot was high and there was some excess glue around the skunk stripe. Nothing some steel wool couldn't fix though. I've seen some people have issues with the frets pushing or needing a level, I'm a little surprised that more stores don't have their techs go over a $1500+ guitar for a quick and dirty setup/fret dressing before it goes on the wall, but hey.

I picked it up on clearance, and guitar center being guitar center lost all the paperwork and the special half-ashtray bridge cover I'll never use.

That's a beautiful guitar.
Guitar center didn't lose that stuff they just simply throw everything like that away as soon as they unpack it.

Like why would anyone want the paperwork and stuff that comes with a new guitar :downsbravo:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dzus posted:

You got it.

Absolutely beautiful. I would never think of a soft pink with rosewood neck, but it works! And now I want my own neck like that...

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Lawen posted:

They're such nice necks. I got one of the American Pro Jazzmasters with the solid rosewood neck recently (pic angle makes it look short scale but it isn't).

holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm overdue for bed but my weekend starts Sunday so here's a start on something.

Next Thursday I turn 50. Whoop de loving doo! I can't afford a sports car, but I at least can fill the Fender Telecaster sized hole in my life with a Fender Richie Kotzen "Telecaster."

I came home from work tonight to a steaming hot apartment. The air conditioning was frozen. Lugging all my new boxes from Sweetwater up the stairs (not pictured, sorry) made me really long for a nice frigid home, but instead my hands are too sweaty. That's why I am showing this to you guys before actually playing it. I have acidic sweat that turns guitar strings black in minutes unless I wash my hands like it's compulsive. That's why I haven't put my hands all over her yet.

Why this guitar? Believe it or not, I didn't really want another flame maple/gold hardware guitar. But this Tele has an arm contour, a rib-cage cut, a 22-fret neck (a beefy baseball bat neck), and a 12" radius with gigantic frets. The Blues Dad aesthetic wasn't what I needed in my Tele but it's very very Fausty to dig figured woods and blingy bling bling, dad or not. It has DiMarzio pickups. The bridge pickup is a Chopper T and from what I heard online it sounds like a bright, vintage output humbucker. The neck is a Twang King and it's a lot closer to a standard Tele pickup. It has a three-way switch, but the tone knob is NOT a tone knob. It's a rotary series/parallel switch for the middle position (both pickups on). Same as any other 4-way wiring setup.

And I am going to GUT it.

But first, have a look.

"TELECASTER" on the headstock. Really? Get bent, Fender.

Made in Japan, and flawless (on the surface, at least). I already knew I was going to put Fralin Stock Tele pickups in it, because I put those in my MIM Tele that I traded to my Dad. I love these pickups. Instead of buying the parts and re-wiring it myself I bought a pre-wired kit online, it's a reverse control that's Volume/Tone/Switch instead of the other way around with 4-way wiring on a 4-way switch. I also see a lot of these guitars online with the gold rubbed off the bridge and control plate. To prevent that I purchased a new bridge and control plate and knobs. And can I please get an Amen: gently caress those Tele switch tips. They fly off one day and you put it back on, repeat about three times until you crack the plastic, then it's useless. I bought one made of machined loving brass, hell yeah.

And I might try out a gold pearl pickguard on it, since they covered up the flame top with this huge cream colored pickguard, I thought it might look better without all that empty space. If I go this route, then all the stock stuff just unscrews, clips apart, and I can mount up my prewired stuff and load all replacement parts on. Solder about three wires. Store the original stock parts away safe.

Here are all those parts:

I'm way overdue for bed but this guitar, as nice as it is, is just a part of the birthday presents I bought myself. I'll be back this weekend with pics of more stuff, but there's one vital component that won't get here until Wednesday so it won't all be quite complete.

I mean, what would YOU do if your first colonoscopy were just days away? That's my Tuesday!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 18, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I had my first colonoscopy a couple years back - I'm 44 now. Didn't realise I was supposed to buy a guitar...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's not a real Tele if it doesn't have the scare quotes. They've been there since the fifties.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

It's not a real Tele if it doesn't have the scare quotes. They've been there since the fifties.
Hey, is that correct? That's a neat little detail if so. Thanks! That is obviously something a real Tele aficionado would know. I'm just a super-strat guy who needs some "Telecaster" in his life.

Elissimpark posted:

I had my first colonoscopy a couple years back - I'm 44 now. Didn't realise I was supposed to buy a guitar...
I think the "mid-life crisis" purchase for older white dudes is a sports car. Since that wasn't gonna happen, I bought a Sports Tele.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

While toxic and fragile masculinity is a problem for many reasons, I think the stereotypical “mid life crisis” sports car purchase can be better understood as “I have a decent job and the loving crotch goblins are finally out of the house so now I can afford this otherwise irresponsible purchase” sports car.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hey, is that correct? That's a neat little detail if so. Thanks! That is obviously something a real Tele aficionado would know. I'm just a super-strat guy who needs some "Telecaster" in his life.
Half-joking. The quotes were there for a long time but at some point Fender started leaving them off, and then put them back on again, and now they're on some guitars but not others.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

duodenum posted:

While toxic and fragile masculinity is a problem for many reasons, I think the stereotypical “mid life crisis” sports car purchase can be better understood as “I have a decent job and the loving crotch goblins are finally out of the house so now I can afford this otherwise irresponsible purchase” sports car.
That's undoubtedly true, but what defines that purchase for me is the inevitable pea-cocking that it enables. I mean, I'm here, e-mailing on the AOL about it!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Finally spent quality time with the Tele last night. That neck really is huge. The satin feel of the back of that huge neck is really lovely. I have big(ish) hands so it's an adjustment (this neck is serisously fatter than the FFLP or FF338) but thanks to the big frets it plays.

I needed to straighten the neck. I went 1/4-turn and it was too far. Went back 1/8-turn and lowered the saddles down. It's insane. The last guitar I bought that had fretwork to these tolerances was the JEM7V. The high E string is sitting just 1mm above the 12th AND 22nd frets. No fret-buzz or fret-out. No dead spots yet. Just stunning. I'm about to gut it and put the new electronics in. It's a keeper for sure.

Here's one picture with a lot of my other new poo poo. I have just about everything I ordered except some string saver gold saddles for the Kotzen Tele and a 5U rack/bag to mount up the new Fractal Axe-FX III Mk II, which I have only barely started setting up.

It. Is. loving. Sick.

Those are Kali LP-6 monitors. Way too big for this setup but they had two things I wanted: preset EQs for speaker location. There is a dip-switch setting to compensate for being back against a wall, which is also why I sought out forward-ported cabs. The Fractal is sitting on a repurposed rolling bed table.

O and if you look at the Furman you see my apartment voltage is all the way to the red (128v). I checked the outlets with a Klien Tools tester and the outlet is properly wired but the tester verifies the voltage at the wall is 127 volts. Is that a problem?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Shamelessly crossposting, Hail Satan

beer gas canister posted:

Picked up a hell of a guitar today

Washburn HB35. The previous owner replaced all of the hardware with Gibson parts, including locking tuners. Pickups are Burstbuckers from a custom shop VOS LP, pots are vintage spec from Tone Man. He had a luthier paint the top Steinway piano black - he said it's the exact same paint. It sounds stupidly good. Not bad for $775, case included. I couldn't find anything with similar specs anywhere near this price. The neck profile is much slimmer than the Epis that I tried, which is a big plus for me.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Finally spent quality time with the Tele last night. That neck really is huge. The satin feel of the back of that huge neck is really lovely. I have big(ish) hands so it's an adjustment (this neck is serisously fatter than the FFLP or FF338) but thanks to the big frets it plays.

I needed to straighten the neck. I went 1/4-turn and it was too far. Went back 1/8-turn and lowered the saddles down. It's insane. The last guitar I bought that had fretwork to these tolerances was the JEM7V. The high E string is sitting just 1mm above the 12th AND 22nd frets. No fret-buzz or fret-out. No dead spots yet. Just stunning. I'm about to gut it and put the new electronics in. It's a keeper for sure.

Here's one picture with a lot of my other new poo poo. I have just about everything I ordered except some string saver gold saddles for the Kotzen Tele and a 5U rack/bag to mount up the new Fractal Axe-FX III Mk II, which I have only barely started setting up.

It. Is. loving. Sick.

Those are Kali LP-6 monitors. Way too big for this setup but they had two things I wanted: preset EQs for speaker location. There is a dip-switch setting to compensate for being back against a wall, which is also why I sought out forward-ported cabs. The Fractal is sitting on a repurposed rolling bed table.

O and if you look at the Furman you see my apartment voltage is all the way to the red (128v). I checked the outlets with a Klien Tools tester and the outlet is properly wired but the tester verifies the voltage at the wall is 127 volts. Is that a problem?

Nice tele. Very nice in fact. 127 shouldn't be a problem. Anything between 108 to 132 should be ok plus you have the furman which I belive protects your equipment from large sudden voltage spikes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
In my eternal quest to find the ultimate envelope filter, I just popped on a Source Audio Spectrum

They basically had me at the "inspired by Lovetone Meatball" preset...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I have a small amp collection of 4 amps.

I just put down a deposit for a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

H13 posted:

So I have a small amp collection of 4 amps.

I just put down a deposit for a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

Yesssss. The amount of goons buying Mark Vs lately is heartwarming. I really want a Dual Rec. I don't care which one.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm putting together a small guitar\demo studio. I'll make myself available to do reamps for people and rough mixes (I'm not a pro mixer and I can't record drums at home). So aside from the Mark V having all those channels and modes which will be insanely useful in a studio environment...

I'm an absolute Metallica tragic.

So if I have a collection of amps, why the hell don't I have the most famous Metallica amp?

Sure it's not an actual IIC+ but they're getting awful hard to find. Plus as I said, all the extra bells and whistles on the Mark V make it as practical a purchase as it does a fanboy purchase.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I absolutely approve of that, hell yeah. I've been meaning to post and let folks know I'm up for, keen, and free to do reamps for things for them. Hit me up, send me some stems and I'm happy to reamp guitars (or bass!) for peeps.

Probably make a post in the guitar thread now honestly haha.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Put 'em together: https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/funk-50

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lovely guitar. I turned 50 this year so I appreciate the pun. That sounds great.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Found this beauty yesterday at a thrift, the drums are hilarious:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

M. Choux, still at it with the casiohabit!
Here's my new(vintage, but seemingly unused) recording rig.

I can play back my jams in my car

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

M. Choux, still at it with the casiohabit!
Heeeeeeeeyyy bonjour, and it gets worse!

The MT-35 and 36 are identical except the colors. I found these within like 3 days of each other.

quote:

Here's my new(vintage, but seemingly unused) recording rig.

I can play back my jams in my car

Back in the day it was cool and DIY to take two cassette decks and hack them so you could run the tape over the heads of both at once and create the dirtiest, lossiest analog delay you could imagine.

LOL I just got an email from Reverb titled "Looking at Gear > Doomscrolling." Are these little fuckers watching me or something?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 24, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Doomscrolling is what I call it when I search Reverb for "Russian Muff Clone" and sort Lowest Price First

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New old bass day. Late 70's, early 80s Marquis by Harmony P-Bass, made in Korea by Samick. 3 piece ash body, maple neck, brass bridge, brass string tree.

Needs strings and a setup, but everything works.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That's a unit :eyepop:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

That bridge looks like it could sustain for days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Never heard of Harmony before and surprised to find "the world's most cherished musical instrument company" is still going strong.