Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm having no trouble with thousands of days old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I think he means that something 50days old that is missing from multiple backbones is probably gone

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I posted about it here when I was experimenting but for what it's worth a few months back I subbed to a bunch of different servers and compared them all.

Ewka by far and away had the best completion. Ewka would often catch missing parts from other servers but very rarely did anything fall through Ewka and was able to be picked up by anywhere else.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
They are listed here as being part of Omicron:

https://hassonipulus.github.io/usenet_tree_remastered/usenet_tree.svg

Do different backbones offer different completion results or is it only different from company to company? Meaning if something is on Eweka is it on every server offered through Omicron or could it be missing on the HW Media backbone despite belonging to the same parent company?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Generally resellers have a very limited cache to reduce hits to their upstream (think weeks of retention) and anything older you request gets requested from upstream

It's why providers can appear out of nowhere with 10,000 days retention for $3/month

But yes, different backbones will have different things removed from rights holder complaint or simply missing, because the original post was to a different backbone and a message went missing

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
So even if two providers belong to the same company, as long as the actual backbones are different you can sign up to those providers, since the backbones is where stuff gets actually uploaded to and deleted from?

For example, in the map above you could sign up to Eweka and Blocknews and you would have the benefit of not downloading everything from the same source (backbone)?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes, that is correct. If you have at least two subscriptions on different backbones your completions will go up. I use Eweka and Newshosting, and between the two rarely see incompletion unless it’s something very fringe that probably wasn’t posted properly in the first place.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Also note that once a posting gets distributed to all the providers the DMCA type takedowns have to be submitted separately to each provider that has retention of the offending Linux iso.

Providers apparently have a bit of malicious compliance with deletion requests where they only delete enough articles to make it dead from *them*. Which means that you can get 80% of the articles from them and fill the now missing gaps from another backbone (who might have deleted different articles)

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Yes, that is correct. If you have at least two subscriptions on different backbones your completions will go up. I use Eweka and Newshosting, and between the two rarely see incompletion unless it’s something very fringe that probably wasn’t posted properly in the first place.

i dont think its worth having NH and Eweka together. I cant imagine NH is going to have anything that eweka doesnt since they are owned by the same company. not like the same company is going to store 10 years of posts several times for each service.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

norp posted:

Also note that once a posting gets distributed to all the providers the DMCA type takedowns have to be submitted separately to each provider that has retention of the offending Linux iso.

Providers apparently have a bit of malicious compliance with deletion requests where they only delete enough articles to make it dead from *them*. Which means that you can get 80% of the articles from them and fill the now missing gaps from another backbone (who might have deleted different articles)

i dont think this is true anymore (maybe 10 years ago with astraweb it was, where i think this rumor came from). the requests have the message IDs in them, the server takes those message ids down.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

I posted about it here when I was experimenting but for what it's worth a few months back I subbed to a bunch of different servers and compared them all.

Ewka by far and away had the best completion. Ewka would often catch missing parts from other servers but very rarely did anything fall through Ewka and was able to be picked up by anywhere else.

Which servers did you test?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SlipperyNipple posted:

i dont think its worth having NH and Eweka together. I cant imagine NH is going to have anything that eweka doesnt since they are owned by the same company. not like the same company is going to store 10 years of posts several times for each service.

Thanks for pointing that out, dunno why I thought they are different backbones. Good thing I also have usenet.farm and usenetexpress. Guess I’ll let my Eweka account die as it seems the slower of the two.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 23, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, dunno why I thought they are different backbones.

They are different backbones according to this map: https://hassonipulus.github.io/usenet_tree_remastered/usenet_tree.svg

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, dunno why I thought they are different backbones. Good thing I also have usenet.farm and usenetexpress. Guess I’ll let my Eweka account die as it seems the slower of the two.

maybe keep eweka instead of NH or keep an eye on the traffic stats the next few months and see which gives better completion. basically what i was saying is, if it isnt on eweka it definitely wont be on NH. if it isnt on NH, it MIGHT be on eweka but the older it is the less likely that is the case.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

i feel like whoever made that doesnt understand networks / usenet that well. NH has 4725 days retention, eweka has 4725 days retention..Omicron isnt going to keep two plus sets of 4725 days retention (when its not used all that much) when the services can all share it and make use of it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SlipperyNipple posted:

maybe keep eweka instead of NH or keep an eye on the traffic stats the next few months and see which gives better completion. basically what i was saying is, if it isnt on eweka it definitely wont be on NH. if it isnt on NH, it MIGHT be on eweka but the older it is the less likely that is the case.

Per SAB, in the past month completion on NH is 92% available of 1M requested articles; Eweka is 76% available of 453K requested articles. Not sure why it has only hit Eweka half as much seeing that they’re both the same priority group, 0.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

SlipperyNipple posted:

Omicron isnt going to keep two plus sets of 4725 days retention (when its not used all that much) when the services can all share it and make use of it.

That makes sense but I'm not sure how that works with takedowns in practice.

From what I can tell, there's a different legal basis for takedowns for Eweka, which is based in the Netherlands, and Stackpath (former Highwinds), which is based in the US.

Stackpath removes things because of DMCA requests:
https://www.stackpath.com/legal/infringement-policy

Eweka removes things because of what seems to be a dutch law called Notice and Takedown:
http://ntd.eweka.nl/
https://ecp.nl/project/notice-and-takedown/

If the parent company really doesn't have different backbones and the Stackpath/Eweka data is the same, then Eweka getting a NTD request would also remove it for Stackpath customers and vice versa with DMCA. Is that really how it works?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

If the parent company really doesn't have different backbones and the Stackpath/Eweka data is the same, then Eweka getting a NTD request would also remove it for Stackpath customers and vice versa with DMCA. Is that really how it works?

takedown could also just mean disable access to it for users. so the post still exists on the server, taking up space its just sort of marked as not available for dmca service when you request it but not yet marked as disabled for an ntd service and then ultimately it gets marked as disabled even for ntd.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

SlipperyNipple posted:

Which servers did you test?

I can't remember precisely as I have a ton of old disabled providers in my NZBGet setup and can't quite remember which one's I added or re-enabled for testing but I think the list is:

Astraweb
Frugal News (Plus Bonus)
Newsdemon
Viper News
Ewka
Cheap news.

I was under the impression that Ewka being on the same backbone as Astraweb and the Frugla bonus server there would be no difference between them but Ewka definitely managed to pick up a bit more.

For the most part if something failed on one server it failed on them all, but if anything caught the missing parts it would be Ewka.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
it's Eweka

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is NZBget any more lightweight than SABNZBD or are they about even?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

About the same I would think, but nzbget is now on maintenance releases or whatever I think the dev stopped working on it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

It was a night and day difference when I switched to NZBGet on an Atom D425, not sure how noticeable it would be on fast computer though.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't using the software at the time, but I heard a few years ago SAB was getting bloated so a lot of people switched over to NZB, then over time they switched places or at least pulled back to being pretty even, and nowadays SAB is being more actively maintained.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

kri kri posted:

nzbget is now on maintenance releases or whatever I think the dev stopped working on it

Yea, looked into it a bit and it's a lot of time between releases:

19.0 • 25 Jun 2017
19.1 • 8 Jul 2017
20.0 • 6 Jun 2018
21.0 • 2 May 2019
21.1 • 3 Jun 2021

EDIT: I'm running SABNZBd inside of Docker on a Synology DS 918+ (DSM 7), is this RAM usage in line with what others are seeing? Seems high to me:

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 27, 2021

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Incessant Excess posted:

EDIT: I'm running SABNZBd inside of Docker on a Synology DS 918+ (DSM 7), is this RAM usage in line with what others are seeing? Seems high to me:

Very high indeed. Is this while downloading? I assume so with that CPU usage. SABnzbd idles with around 160 MiB of RAM usage on my system but will use more while downloading due to article cache, tracking of the queue, etc, but still nowhere near 5 GB.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm downloading right now (Docker container on Unraid) and it's hovering around 1 GB RAM usage, "spiking" at about 1.3 GB. 5 GB seems quite abnormal.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Keito posted:

Very high indeed. Is this while downloading? I assume so with that CPU usage. SABnzbd idles with around 160 MiB of RAM usage on my system but will use more while downloading due to article cache, tracking of the queue, etc, but still nowhere near 5 GB.

It's with 5 jobs in the queue and 4 in history, yes. The article cache max is set to 944 M.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Anyone using Prowlarr instead of Jackett/NZBHydra? Is it worth making the switch?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Slash posted:

Anyone using Prowlarr instead of Jackett/NZBHydra? Is it worth making the switch?

I am, yeah. It's very nice that it will manage you *arr indexer settings for you as you add new feeds. Instead of one entry for Hydra, its like Jackett where it creates individual feeds. I only have a few usenet sources and 2 torrent sources so its not that big of a deal but I like the fact that it auto adds them to my Arr apps and I can see inside those apps where its grabbing those from. If you want to try it, you can always install it, get things set up and turn off NZBH/Jackett temporarily (this is even easier on docker/unraid).

It's still pretty new so Hydra/Jackett have more than a few years headstart on it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey so this is probably a stupid question but I've been encountering these files recently:

Nothing seems to extract them and they usually have what seem like totally arbitrary file extensions. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have been doing this for years and have never experienced this kind of thing. However for some reason I've been seeing it a lot recently. What's up?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Taima posted:

Hey so this is probably a stupid question but I've been encountering these files recently:

Nothing seems to extract them and they usually have what seem like totally arbitrary file extensions. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have been doing this for years and have never experienced this kind of thing. However for some reason I've been seeing it a lot recently. What's up?

Generally it's some garbage file that's trying to trick you into clicking a malicious link. At best they will show you ads so they can have money, at worst it will be some kind of malware. Sometimes the malware claims to be a special viewer for the file you have downloaded. Delete it and move on.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Fair enough, thank you sir!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
It's been years since i've used SABNZBD and PVR Software...

Between Sonarr, Sickbeard, Sickrage and whatever other PVR software there is, which is the best currently right now (that works with sabnzbd)? Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think almost everyone uses Sonarr these days, haven't heard anyone use Sickbeard or the spinoffs in years.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think almost everyone uses Sonarr these days, haven't heard anyone use Sickbeard or the spinoffs in years.

Great thanks!@

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mister Fister posted:

Between Sonarr, Sickbeard, Sickrage and whatever other PVR software there is, which is the best currently right now (that works with sabnzbd)? Thanks!

I switched from Sickbeard to Sonarr a few years ago and I can't think of any time I've missed something from Sickbeard.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

IMO sonarr except if tvdb fucks up the series, then you kinda gotta do manually or use medusa

add prowlarr to your stack too

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

kri kri posted:

IMO sonarr except if tvdb fucks up the series, then you kinda gotta do manually or use medusa

add prowlarr to your stack too

What does Medusa do about tvdb loving up series? Is there a way to fix those while still using Sonarr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

more falafel please posted:

What does Medusa do about tvdb loving up series? Is there a way to fix those while still using Sonarr?

Medusa can utilize themoviedb and tvmaze, whilst sonarr only supports thetvdb and seemingly refuses to even consider adding other metadata providers

some of my series like BBC horizon and daniel tiger just ended up giving me headaches in sonarr so I just do those manually. this might be fixed, dunno but using thetvdb can be a loving headache and times.