Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Reid's Feid and Ceid
Formerly Blum's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Baron von Eevl posted:

Reid's Feid and Ceid
Formerly Blum's
...Blum's Fum and Cum?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

It's worth remembering at this point that Britain adopted the metric system in 1965, seven years before joining the EU, and that we have always been able to sell goods by imperial measures provided we can also sell them in metric units.

But now sentient thumbs in graph check shirts can feel a little bit more like it is the brief period in history during which they were relevant, which is what's really important here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you got that butt I got beer

E: alternatively "maybe it's the beer measuring, but you got a butt that won't quit"

wrong show op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeI2LEjrDPM

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Whybird posted:

It's worth remembering at this point that Britain adopted the metric system in 1965, seven years before joining the EU, and that we have always been able to sell goods by imperial measures provided we can also sell them in metric units.

But now sentient thumbs in graph check shirts can feel a little bit more like it is the brief period in history during which they were relevant, which is what's really important here.

Very excited to have to learn how many shillings are in a ha'penny

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:canada:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Things are dire in the UK. These days they have to publish The Big Book of British Frowns.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A quick sample from that book:

I'm sure this can be worked into a simpsons meme somehow but I'm on my phone and very lazy

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They’re all so loving RED

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Kitfox88 posted:

They’re all so loving RED
i see you've played frowny-gammony before!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dabir posted:

A quick sample from that book:

I'm sure this can be worked into a simpsons meme somehow but I'm on my phone and very lazy

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Might need to update the chart.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Honestly the imperial measurements thing is good, they’re just more intuitive when you get into it. As Ralph would say: “oh boy, imperial measurements! That’s where I’m a Viking”, which is how he describes something that he’s really good at.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly the imperial measurements thing is good, they’re just more intuitive when you get into it. As Ralph would say: “oh boy, imperial measurements! That’s where I’m a Viking”, which is how he describes something that he’s really good at.

But the proto imperial measurement defining an inch as three barleycorns was not determined in the Danelaw

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cycling should also be measured in km, in accordance with the ways of blegum.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly the imperial measurements thing is good, they’re just more intuitive when you get into it

Lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Most imperial measurements are way too hard to convert between each other, but, all measurements are inherently arbitrary and people seem to think there is some sort of universal "truth" to metric when the base-10 thing is the only really "logical" thing about them per se

that said, they're really good for science

THAT said, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius for all non-science-related use cases and pointing this out drives people loving nuts

Celsius isn't even usable for science a lot of the time because you need to use Kelvin instead. I say either just use imperial because it's fine and I'm used to it, or use metric but use Kelvin instead of Celsius because that's the only way to be actually consistent

e: and measure volume in moles

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 21, 2021

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

loquacius posted:

THAT said, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius for all non-science-related use cases and pointing this out drives people loving nuts

It’s because you are wrong op

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

loquacius posted:

Please explain.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can tell someone is from metricland if they convert from yards to miles directly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

loquacius posted:

e: and measure volume in moles

But moles are a measure of amount ?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I need to know whether it’s 88 F or 89 F outside !! 89 F would be a disaster

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Angryhead posted:

Please explain.

Celsius is a measure of how hot something is on a scale of "water freezes" to "water boils" which is extremely useful if you are boiling ice and would like to know about how far along in the process you are but that's about it

Fahrenheit is basically just a measure of "how hot is it outside on a scale of 1 to 100". In Fahrenheit, 0 degrees is "it's really cold" and 100 degrees is "it's really hot". In Celsius, 0 degrees is "it's kind of cold I guess" and 100 degrees is "don't go outside, it's the apocalypse." Baking is easy too, since basically all baking is done at a round number like 350 or 400 degrees.

Also the degrees are smaller and more granularity is very helpful here, you never have to worry about a half-degree or whatever.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Celsius is merpeople propaganda.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the range of temperatures you're ever likely to see outside in Fahrenheit really is about 0 to 100, whereas in Celsius it's, like, -10 to 38 or something?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In a shock twist, the objectively best, most intuitive, and entirely correct temperature scale is the one you grew up with.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

In a shock twist, the objectively best, most intuitive, and entirely correct temperature scale is the one you grew up with.

this but every measurement

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yep. Nothing beats years of familiarity.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Hmm it’s almost like if you grew up with Fahrenheit it seems like a ‘intuitive’ scale instead of something completely arbitrary like all measurements. I’m curious how you think Europeans get by without using Fahrenheit?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Trust me, we metric-heads have no problem reading the forecast and instantly recognizing how it’s gonna feel.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only imperial measurements I objectively think are a pain in the rear end are the cooking ones, tablespoons and teaspoons and fluid ounces etc, because you have to convert between them more often than you'd think and they're not intuitive no matter how long you've been using them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Hmm it’s almost like if you grew up with Fahrenheit it seems like a ‘intuitive’ scale instead of something completely arbitrary like all measurements. I’m curious how you think Europeans get by without using Fahrenheit?

then why do you guys always care so much about whether people use the Imperial system? :confused:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

ObamaAkbar. posted:

I’m curious how you think Europeans get by without using Fahrenheit?

War and incest, I assume.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Also moles isn’t a measure of volume. The SI unit for volume is the cubic meter

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

loquacius posted:

then why do you guys always care so much about whether people use the Imperial system? :confused:

Personally I don’t care what you use it just seems silly to insist your particular one is ‘the best’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Personally I don’t care what you use it just seems silly to insist your particular one is ‘the best’

I believe you will find that this is my point, yes

e: metric-havers are always talking about how metric is Just Better Okay and Imperial is complete gobbledygook, but all temperature scales are completely arbitrary in every way and Fahrenheit has a better use case, which makes people really really mad when you talk about it. Try it out, it's a neat trick!