Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I can’t even see what Eli Valley draws. at least put some labels. take a page from Garrison, who actually cares about accessibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Lotta tankie reactionaries ITT hating on the Amazon Sleeping Pods sight unseen...

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

did baw stop posting or get banned or what

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Eli Valley has been on the "pay no mind" list since he was hectoring people into voting for Biden last year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

Handsome Ralph hit the button on the Kunduz hospital strike is now my headcanon

I'm not saying it's objectively true, just that it's my truth.

man in two months when some dipshit admin is blowing dust off posts to prove cspam is bad you're gonna get so banned for implying our noble mods are bad people

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
between voting for biden and constantly criticizing biden with his cartoons, you know that valley thinks his cartoons make a difference... and that's the funniest part

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

tsundere anarchobidenists

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Lotta tankie reactionaries ITT hating on the Amazon Sleeping Pods sight unseen...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-09-16/amazon-s-new-factory-towns-will-lift-the-working-class

The campaign against economic inequality has put a bullseye on cities. Local governments are encouraged to raise minimum wages, change their zoning laws and build more housing, particularly in affluent communities that are squeezing out the lower class.

But what if you shifted that focus to a different kind of community? Consider these burgeoning new places strung along the interstate and other highways leading away from urban cores, populated by warehouses and fulfillment centers that are being built to serve the needs of e-commerce customers. Let’s call them “factory towns.”

These are places where working-class jobs are being created in large numbers and where wages already are rising. They’re not much in the spotlight yet, but making these modern-day company towns more livable for the working class might be a better approach to solving inequality — with a higher likelihood of success — than continuing to fight against entrenched interests in coastal cities and high-cost parts of metro areas.
Now consider Amazon’s announcement this week that it’s making another big hiring push at its fulfillment centers with jobs paying an average starting wage of $18 an hour — up 20% since 2018. Thinking about the growth of fulfillment and distribution centers in general, maybe these highway warehouse communities with jobs that pay increasingly respectable wages are what the future of the working class looks like. And doesn’t it make sense, then, to think about how we can make these communities better for the people who will live and work there?

It starts with making the jobs as high-paying and safe as possible, whether that can be done by running labor markets hot, or perhaps with unionization or the threat of it. If these sorts of jobs get to an average wage of $20 an hour then a household with 1.5 full-time workers in it would make $60,000 a year with benefits. People can argue about what constitutes a reasonable working class lifestyle, but that would seem to offer the prospect for a much better existence than service workers had a decade ago, particularly considering lower housing costs on the outskirts of metro areas.

People can live close to work with shorter commutes — plus the possibility of employer-provided shuttle buses — when their jobs are in a cheaper, less-crowded part of a metro area. If there's a push to increase density by building affordable apartments or townhomes for workers, there’s less likely to be wealthy homeowners mobilizing to stop it, since those sorts of homeowners probably will live closer to the city core. As wages rise and more jobs are created at warehouses and distributions hubs, you'll get a secondary increase in economic activity as amenities like retail and dining are built close by to appeal to the workforce.

These new factory towns will presumably have new issues that need addressing, such as adequate amounts of housing, schools and healthcare facilities. But the point is that we need to be thinking about what sorts of communities are being created by the growth of U.S. e-commerce infrastructure, and what they’ll need to thrive. To urbanists, contemplating the potential of the area surrounding Interstate 75 in Ocala, Florida, outside of Orlando might not be as sexy as upzoning and building transit in San Francisco, but it's these types of new communities that are going to be the future of a large segment of the working class.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Columnist for @bopinion
Founder of Peachtree Creek Investments. Fintwit. Sun Belt enthusiast. The future is a policy choice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

between voting for biden and constantly criticizing biden with his cartoons, you know that valley thinks his cartoons make a difference... and that's the funniest part

to be fair, what with the brain scrambles he's got and all, I imagine Biden views the world much like one of Valley's comics, so he has the best chance.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

PeterCat posted:

It's amazing that the conservatives think that Democrats and George Soros are shipping Haitians to the border to slip into the country to vote for Democrats.

I'm glad I voted for Howie Hawkins, he seems like a smart man who would know that both of those situations are lies. Unfortunately anybody actually interested in solving the problems of the country and the world frankly is not allowed access to power.

iirc Howie had Russiagate brain too

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Excelzior posted:

I'm gonna do the forums 1/6

1/6 was Trump's America posting a QCS thread

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

1/6 was Trump's America posting a QCS thread

but but they might have removed mike pence's red star!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

papa horny michael posted:

iirc Howie had Russiagate brain too

I think he made some general dumb vague allusions to Trump stealing the election in '16 but I don't remember him going full Russia nuts

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

https://twitter.com/WonderKing82/status/1440298489267687429 https://twitter.com/WarnockWarrior/status/1440363661718024199 liberals are now convinced Russia is transporting Haitian refugees to the border to make Joe Biden look bad

if those t-shirts are a gop op they're brilliant.

even if they aren't a gop op they're brilliant.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

they should say OPEN BIDEN tho with the same biden logo.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
maybe. i thought it was more with actual quotes and tweets attributing stuff to putin and Russia. but i didn't hold it against Howie.

Eli valley voted for Biden in NYC lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Penned without a hint of irony or historical awareness. Amazing.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
is carpetbagger an antisemitic slur? i was about to write something in another thread...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Eli Valley had any sort of introspection he would have drawn a self portrait by now.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

truly incredible moderating that this post

gets a sixer but this one gets a whole day

mod sass and calling your fellow goon a stupid loving wretch: 3x as bad!
24 / 6 = 4. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

is carpetbagger an antisemitic slur? i was about to write something in another thread...

not to my knowledge, it originated in the reconstruction-era south to describe someone who moved to the south specifically to run for office but I don't know whether those people tended to be Jewish

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

No, it refers to pols running for office in places they’ve never lived and can’t pretend to represent

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seyser Koze posted:

No, it refers to pols running for office in places they’ve never lived and can’t pretend to represent

like when Crooked Hillary started wearing Yankees hats in public.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the texas stuff is such a perfect example of how the democratic party works now.

• Texas is going to turn blue one of these days!

• A texas democratic politician who is heir to his father's political dynasty, runs for statewide office in a presidential year (best year for dems) and loses but gets massive media attention and fundraising boosts.

• Texas dems defends right wing anti-choice dems because hey, they're the local power broker and Hispanics are all catholic so what do you expect

• Texas dems make a big show about leaving texas to stop some bad evil stuff from happening and to fund raise (and give people covid)

• Texas dems decide they've dried the money well, plus school is starting so we have quietly go home and allow the evil stuff to happen

• Texas legislature passes a bipartisan anti abortion bill, thanks to those protected dems

• Texas dems and larger dem party make a huge deal about the anti abortion bill, pretend it wasnt bipartisan, and use it to fund raise

• The national dems start more conversation about abandoning texas and shift structural resources elsewhere

• The loser decides to run for statewide again, but in a non-presidential year, with worse odds

• The loser fundraises like mad and sucks the money and volunteers to their losing campaign, reducing volunteers and spending on long term infrastructure and down ballot.

• Texas fails to turn blue again, the loser loses, and down ballot suffers from lack of resources. Republicans go uncontested in winnable races.

• Texas is going to turn blue one of these days!

power is only wielded when it leads to fundraising, fundraising is more important than success, defending conservative democrats help create fundraising opportunities, and losing down ballot in exchange for better fundraising is seen as a victory.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
sorry but eli valley gets a pass from me just for this:

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1436467235938316288

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I watched it far enough to get to the many lives Afro futurism episode and found it disjointed and ultimately like it wasn’t sure what it was going for. It came up in another thread recently and apparently it ends pretty stupidly but idk. Lots of little inexplicable stuff that could have been interesting but didn’t seem well executed

Spoilers for examples where I felt it tripped there are more but honestly it didn’t stick in my memory all that well Like making the protag a war criminal was an interesting idea but then leaning into how hard it was for him and all the bad feels he got from it killed it

Or the guy who just outright murders the intersex siren character a couple minutes after they’re introduced and then everyone is mad but only for a couple minutes

Hm, sucks. To my mind the only really fruitful way to interface with Lovecraft poo poo is to start by making the racist subtext text and see what that can tell you about its place in the greater culture. It's been done well elsewhere; I guess they didn't succeed in making it cohesive and meaningful?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MA politics has a lot of carpetbaggers because people go to college there and when they're done they decide to try to run it instead of going home

see: Mitt Romney, who came to MA to go to *shudder* Harvard Business School and ended up being governor

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nah

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

he's a fun character, in some respects. most of the time, 'i gotta own the goddamn bernie bros' comes from a position of defensiveness: someone trying to retaliate against the implicit criticism of the liberal order as it presently exists. the skeleton key for this is the whining about "nothing matters" posting. if the things that they, personally care about do not matter, NOTHING must matter, therefore people arguing that the things they care about don't matter must just be trolling.

how are u doesn't come at it from that direction. he knows the liberal order as it presently exists has failed, and is failing. but he also can't bring himself to jump onboard with those darned abrasive lefties who failed to make the system bend the knee. it hurt too much, to believe that the world could be fixed, and that the mighty would not allow it to happen. and so he is trying something else. when you look at him snickering about how leftie rape victims just make it up, or talking about how when Joe Biden said we didn't put kids in cages he must have meant we didn't JUST put kids in cages, or weeping bitter tears over the defeat of the US imperial project at the hands of savage animal-men, it is something much more pathetic than merely believing those things.

it is someone trying to convince himself to believe them, because he thinks he would be happier if he did.

you can't un-crackping yourself. the damage just migrates somewhere else.

My read is actually different, in that I think HAU genuinely doesn't give a poo poo. He doesn't have the same "alarmed and upset that leftists are allowed to post"/"experiencing cognitive dissonance" feeling that you get from a lot of others, and just seems to delight in talking about how awesome the Democrats are to "trigger the Marxists" or something.

"Attacking other people for being powerless" is the sort of thing that isn't really coherent with any common idea of "being a good person"; it's the sort of thing you do if the only thing you really care about is making fun of the leftists.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
people saying Dems should airdrop a candidate to primary synema in Arizona lol

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

look buddy that level of anime knowledge is undeniably impressive

So that was them?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

My read is actually different, in that I think HAU genuinely doesn't give a poo poo. He doesn't have the same "alarmed and upset that leftists are allowed to post"/"experiencing cognitive dissonance" feeling that you get from a lot of others, and just seems to delight in talking about how awesome the Democrats are to "trigger the Marxists" or something.

"Attacking other people for being powerless" is the sort of thing that isn't really coherent with any common idea of "being a good person"; it's the sort of thing you do if the only thing you really care about is making fun of the leftists.

He's just a reactionary. Even if he wasn't at the start trying to "own the leftists" always turns you into one.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

"pulling a Yang"

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Eggplant Squire posted:

If Eli Valley had any sort of introspection he would have drawn a self portrait by now.

drat lol

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

how is this any different from the dumbass chuds who think terrorists are going to send al-qeada though the US-Mexico border lol

https://twitter.com/YesItsM97576245/status/1440380394596044806

https://twitter.com/ResusCGMedia/status/1440372872753467410

https://twitter.com/janeworld1/status/1440382642004762635

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

imagine if gas were $3+ a gallon and trump was president lmao

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1440351821898211343?s=20

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
HAU is a bone deep psychopath and should be permabanned now to spare everyone the slur laden drunken rant hes going to post after dems get massacred in 2022 and exit polls show a .5% shift to republicans by latinos or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1440403118957600771?s=19