Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Testekill posted:

Big body, no neck, tiny head. It is the perfect wrestler body

edit: Of course the most deranged accounts think that this is a slight on the WWE. Meanwhile Fiending 4 Follows is just like "hey AEW is actually pretty cool" cementing him as the mildest wrestling twitter weirdo.

Fiending 4 Followers has mellowed out a ton. Not sure if it was Wyatt's release or them genuinely broadening their horizons, but they've been fairly normal for a while now.

Also, the Owen takes are somehow even worse than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

An Eddie Guerrero memorial sounds like a good idea to me.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Duke Pukem posted:

The Cornhole will be screaming "how dare you do thinks that are objectively cool as hell and rad as gently caress"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Remember when Vince bought all the top guys in the territories?

No in that case they were nobodies and then Vince turned them into homegrown talent. Then when they went to WCW they were traitors.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Shard posted:

BTW I hate people going after "casuals". That's not a real thing. If you watch wrestling and start to like it you are no longer a casual fan. You're just a fan. And if you're a fan who stops watching you don't go back to casual. You just aren't a fan anymore.

It's like saying "AEW actually sucks because I mean how many unicorns have they gotten to start tuning in?"

Especially in 2021. The effects of cultural diffusion are such that everyone can get an unlimited amount of what they like. Nobody channel surfs any more, nobody flicks past a wrestling show and it catches their eye for a moment and they decide to keep watching. The wrestling audience is wrestling fans. If you want to expand that audience you have to make more wrestling fans, not appeal to the mythical casuals.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Dimebags Brain posted:

WWE is simple, easy to consume entertainment. It doesn't require a cult like passion, or for you to watch YouTube shows and follow international promotions to know whats going on.

It only requires a minimum of five hours a week of TV viewing time, seven to include NXT, etc.

edit: oh i shouldn't have doubleposted sorry

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Holy moly the takes today

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

lol

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Duke Pukem posted:

straight up a breakout lucha/latin american tournament would be tight. I hope the Owen tournament is an all canada deal for the same reason. Regional trophies are siiiiick.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

El Generico posted:

Especially in 2021. The effects of cultural diffusion are such that everyone can get an unlimited amount of what they like. Nobody channel surfs any more, nobody flicks past a wrestling show and it catches their eye for a moment and they decide to keep watching. The wrestling audience is wrestling fans. If you want to expand that audience you have to make more wrestling fans, not appeal to the mythical casuals.

You still want to make product easily approachable for new viewers and do things to attract them in like have big stars on the show, And guess what AEW does that with Excalibur explaining feuds for new viewers and having Shaq wrestle. But AEW treats them as ways to enhance the product and doesn't sacrifice the main product to do this. Which you know the WWE does and ends up not having anyone get over cause of it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Pc79C/status/1440189336897540096?s=19

NJPW have made some very questionable decisions recently but yanking their most popular guy out of the G1 and sending him to wrestle in front of 150 people in Texas on Strong and claiming a fake injury would explode in their faces so spectacularly that I'd like to see it happen

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/MoraineJackson/status/1440159622124376067?s=19

https://twitter.com/MoraineJackson/status/1440163410885287947?s=19

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can't believe people still complain about "exposing the business" beyond like, 10 years ago.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
:actually: sexual assault victims care what Tommy and Flair did back in the day

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

coping, seething and filling diapers because some pieces of poo poo suffered very light consequences many years after doing bad things

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/PaulJames198/status/1438455158720147461?s=19

https://twitter.com/PaulJames198/status/1438055237999267840?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If we're doing Hearts fan Paul

https://twitter.com/PaulJames198/status/1440239763743596551?s=19

A protest that doesn't cause inconvenience is a waste of time

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Paul you should be resting up so you can get better

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm glad paul's Twitter is no longer private and I hope he could wipe the AEW stain off.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Re: the bad Owen takes - I think it’s less likely that the vincels want Owen in the WWE HoF because they want to honour him and more likely that it just helps exonerate Vince for causing Owen’s death in their eyes.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Noted good person Vince McMahon
https://twitter.com/TonioFranco/status/1440370039232729091?s=20

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I agree: Vince isn’t “a bad person”

because “bad” is obviously a grossly inadequate term for the broad swath of misery he has and continues to carve through the world of professional wrestling. “Monstrous” is rather more accurate, to my mind, but English is a versatile tongue so but for the sky there are no fences on your creativity

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I would never accuse Danielson of lying but I'd really like to know what exactly happened with him that gave him such positive experiences n the WWE as opposed to CM Punk who very clearly had the opposite expoerience.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

Elephant Ambush posted:

I would never accuse Danielson of lying but I'd really like to know what exactly happened with him that gave him such positive experiences n the WWE as opposed to CM Punk who very clearly had the opposite expoerience.

Danielson got to pin HHH.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I can't think of anyone who wasn't a top, top guy like Austin or Hogan that had a career like Danielson in WWE. He basically always had a storyline, was always over and never really had an angle he was involved in that I hated from his NXT stuff to his goofy tag team with Kane and the AJ stuff, Daniel Wyatt might be the one low point really but it lasted only a few weeks and had a big payoff. His feud with Cass even kind of owned because he beat the hell out of a dude way bigger than him 3 times and tapped his rear end out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

He also doesn't seem to have the same level of ambition or ego as Punk. Not painting those things as a negative, it probably just goes a long way towards not getting pissed at the company.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

The success of Total Divas, the spin offs, and the retirement probably. Once Vince didn't have to accept him as a wrestler but instead as a reality tv star who he didn't have much creative control over, I imagine things relaxed considerably and it stuck when Bryan returned to the ring (although not enough for Bryan to feel creatively satisfied post-heel run).

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Lid posted:

We wants the Bruiser Brody memorial Wrestling Council tournament.

"I was an Bruiser Brody fan. Maybe that's why something about this feels a bit sleezy, a bit wrong to me. WWC = bad. Meanwhile, DSOTR—a series that didn't exist during Brody's life—is going to profit off his death with his immediate family's blessing because they're the 'good guys'. #DSOTR"

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Cole: "OHHH MYYYYY.... COULD IT BE? IT'S GARRY!"

WWEGareth: "It's Gareth :smith: "

Imagining the WWE media archive vault, but its filled with multiple clones in 'stand up for wwe' shirts', who only say "Gareth" in varying tones.

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 21, 2021

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

FullMetalJackoff posted:

Imagining the WWE media archive vault, but its filled with multiple clones in 'stand up for wwe' shirts', who only say "Gareth" in varying tones.

Hehehe... Gaaaareth...

GARETH!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it really seems like vince either connects with someone or doesn’t (and/or vice versa, i guess). bryan’s far from the first person to feel like he had a real connection with vince, and that poo poo even extends to people who vince has literally fired.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
lmao.

*hire cornette*

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gently caress Cornette but hearing his booking ideas for AEW second hand is some of the best comedy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cornette: Known person to never insult ones intelligence

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love all these people who hate AEW all spout "Hire Cornette!" I mean, if you hate AEW so much, shouldn't you want WWE to hire Cornette?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I'm sure many of the AEW haters are operating in bad faith and just engaging in dumb tribalism or counter-cancel culture or something I'm sure some people just genuinely don't like the product. They just can't accept that not liking something is subjective and doesn't mean it should change for you instead of you just finding something else to do.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've never totally understood people that don't like something so they have to make sure that no one else does either. Like they can bludgeon you with their opinion until you actually admit the thing you like sucks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its probably a little more focused in wrestling since there's only so many promotions and they share talent. So like if you're a huge Adam Cole fan but hate AEW's product then your favorite wrestler going there either gives you a reason to give them another chance or just is a huge bummer.

But actors leave tv shows, athletes leave teams, musicians leave bands. Life is change and if so much of your personal interests are all hyper focused down one particularly narrow pathway then you're probably gonna end up unhappy a lot.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

reddit posted:

If AEW was the first choice, they'd have Roman Reigns instead of Jon Moxley. They'd have Edge instead of Christian. They would have Lesnar instead of Punk. They'd have Cena instead of Danielson.

The reality is, everyone who is in AEW is because the WWE didn't want them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
r/tories
r/SquaredCircle
r/CrystalPalace (every time)