Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jay Rust posted:

How’s the random new world algorithm these days?

I don't think it's actually random at all. They've got a bunch of pre-generated ones and it picks from the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think they ever fixed the big problems with it. Like the province/dev density is way, way lower than vanilla which messes with balance. Trade routes are also iffy. And there's only a few tiles that are truly interesting anyway.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

I missed out on the whole kerfluffle of what happened with the DLC at launch - is there a good summary somewhere?

https://youtu.be/UdVUEoaET7w

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/eu4-development-diary-21st-of-september-2021.1491809/

New dev diary. Ethiopia mission tree looks good, but all the other ones they've shown so far look like something you can basically complete in the first 20 years or so.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ethiopia was my last hope for judaism getting mechanics. Ah, well :(

Even the CK converter only religions get more.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s no way to break up a military access agreement between two AI countries, is there? This “accepting will destabilize X” call to arms malus is loving annoying as poo poo

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not without going to war and breaking the access deal in the peace, no

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you drag them into an unrelated war where they need to take out a bunch of access maybe they'll drop it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For what it’s worth, I tried the “prepare for war” diplomatic action for the first time, and it seems that it compels the AI to start seeking military access treaties, perhaps from the countries standing between the two of you. Thing is, in this instance, it’s one of those countries I want to declare war on!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Firebatgyro posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/eu4-development-diary-21st-of-september-2021.1491809/

New dev diary. Ethiopia mission tree looks good, but all the other ones they've shown so far look like something you can basically complete in the first 20 years or so.

Oh man I really wanna play Ethiopia with these missions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gaius Marius posted:

If you drag them into an unrelated war where they need to take out a bunch of access maybe they'll drop it?
AI doesnt pay diplo slot upkeep for access.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jay Rust posted:

There’s no way to break up a military access agreement between two AI countries, is there? This “accepting will destabilize X” call to arms malus is loving annoying as poo poo

I haven't tested it, but maybe the 'reduce opinion' favour option? It gives your ally a -100 opinion change on the target country, which might result in them cancelling the access.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

In the unlikely event anyone is reading this thread but doesn't own the game it'll be free on the Epic Games Store next Thursday.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there any way to make allies join you as England when you fight France for Maine? I don't have the expansion that lets you get extra favors via diplomacy, and even when I ally Castile/Austria once they also rival France (and have provinces of interest in French territory), they always stay out, meaning it's me against half of Western europe.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Is there any way to make allies join you as England when you fight France for Maine? I don't have the expansion that lets you get extra favors via diplomacy, and even when I ally Castile/Austria once they also rival France (and have provinces of interest in French territory), they always stay out, meaning it's me against half of Western europe.

fighting France as part of the Maine event is a trap for that reason - it sets you as the aggressor so most likely none of your allies will help. Better to try to dogpile France on your own terms, getting Castille and Burgundy as allies. Or just ignore the continent and unite the UK (which is much easier with the Irish rework - Scotland will almost always ally an Irish minor and you can use that to pull Scotland into a war without France's guarantee)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yeah, while it is not impossible to win the Maine event war, it's way easier to just give it up and then fight France later on your own terms. (Although that will require two separate wars to force the PU.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sometimes you can call Castile and/or Aragon in for land after the fact. But yeah it's easier to dow on your own, if for no other reason then you get to see who will join before starting the war.

Also, as France, it's best to dec with reconquest before Maine, as you can either take all your land in one war or go cheeky and take the Pale as part of the peace.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Anbennar:
The first 40 or so years of Emerald orcs sure is a whirlwind of activity. Massive amounts of conquering, a civil war, and consolidation of an entire subregion all before the first age ends.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Finally got True Heir of Timur after failing way to many times in the past.

Ended up completely stable. Failing so many times got me a lot better at truce juggling and AE management. Only had a collation try and form once but I attacked at 1 member. I probably could of done it with 0 loans if I tried harder and with only 1 or 2 truce breaks as well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So yeah. Did you know that monstrous nation immortal lich witch kings are absolutely insane? I didn't. But now I do. -83% unjustified demands baseline and a 300k force limit of undead soldiers in 1570. Like what.

Combined with the forest spreading over Escann for the -enemy move speed and I'm pretty sure it's possible to fight the literal rest of the known world.

Not that anyone will like you ever again.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 28, 2021

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

lamentable dustman posted:

Finally got True Heir of Timur after failing way to many times in the past.

Ended up completely stable. Failing so many times got me a lot better at truce juggling and AE management. Only had a collation try and form once but I attacked at 1 member. I probably could of done it with 0 loans if I tried harder and with only 1 or 2 truce breaks as well.

goongrats

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Anbennar is great but like many mods it doesn't have a good way to present its features. I don't have much context on who am I fighting. Even seeing enemy army race is hard: I need to find enemy capital and see their main population type. I can read description of people's religion and culture, but it's not enough. I'm playing as Corvuria and they have a lot of vampire stuff. If I weren't playing as them I'd had no idea about their history and recolonization efforts and ability to vampirize the land.

Also bug thanks to colorblind mod. Now I know army bars supposed to give you idea that it's allied or hostile, you don't have to constantly check flags. What will they think of next? Map modes that don't look like red-green color sensitivity test?

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 28, 2021

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

ilitarist posted:

Anbennar is great but like many mods it doesn't have a good way to present its features. I don't have much context on who am I fighting. Even seeing enemy army race is hard: I need to find enemy capital and see their main population type. I can read description of people's religion and culture, but it's not enough. I'm playing as Corvuria and they have a lot of vampire stuff. If I weren't playing as them I'd had no idea about their history and recolonization efforts and ability to vampirize the land.

I've been playing as various dwarves for my first games in the mod and I had no idea that it had been literally raining blood right outside my mountains until I did a run as Marrhold.

EUIV seems weirdly worse at conveying what's going on in the nations around you than like, Hearts of Iron even though maybe it's because I'm on a fresh install and haven't tweaked my alert settings yet.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

What would you even tweak? See every mission and decision interesting nations take? I think it's more about UI information. It took years for PDX to move army size info from the ledger to the diplomacy screen. Mod devs probably can't add much more there.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 28, 2021

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Honestly just being able to see other nations' mission trees would be nice. Going back to Hearts of Iron, if I'm playing Old World Blues or Kaiserrech or something I can glance at another nation's focus tree and get at least a vague idea what's going on, there's not really a way to do similar in EU.

I also probably need to turn off 90% of the messages that are enabled by default because there's so many that are irrelevant that dismissing them has become sorta reflex so maybe I'm missing important ones.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think the issue is that anbennar is a completely alien world to our own so historical wargame UIs are lacking. Total War: Warhammer, for example, solves this issue by having lore dumps in cutscenes, quest descriptions, a narrator who explains your geographical position and what kind of foes are around you, the map has a lot of detail to help you get an idea of what terrain and inhabitants look like etc. EUIV ahs none of that because 15th century Russia is simply 15th century Russia, no need to show you the details to give you a good enough idea.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

For that reason I think Anbennar benefits from being fairly standard fantasy, and preserving some of the same patterns as in eu4. When the religious ward start I get roughly what's happening before even reading a popup.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Deltasquid posted:

I think the issue is that anbennar is a completely alien world to our own so historical wargame UIs are lacking. Total War: Warhammer, for example, solves this issue by having lore dumps in cutscenes, quest descriptions, a narrator who explains your geographical position and what kind of foes are around you, the map has a lot of detail to help you get an idea of what terrain and inhabitants look like etc. EUIV ahs none of that because 15th century Russia is simply 15th century Russia, no need to show you the details to give you a good enough idea.

TW also has a good idea of what player might want to know. I never got deep into mechanics of Sword of Kaine or whatever it's called but I appreciate the game telling me about it. When I meet a new faction it's personified by its lord and I can see their stats and army composition. Before CK3 PDX games had great issues filtering all the stuff in the game (remember Victoria 2 newspaper? Remember CK2 chronicle?) And CK3 isn't exactly perfect. I'd like to know when a new empire is created somewhere in the world, that's an exciting stuff!

But with EU4 toolset I don't see how to do it better withoud devs putting custom events on top of missions. Surely you don't want to subscribe to Corvurian newsletter and learn about us conpleting a mission on improvintg husbandry industry. But you probably want to know if we went full-on vampire monarchy with a great masquerade mission. CK3 has major and minor decision distinction, maybe that's a good idea.

Also I wanted to say that Imperator approach to missions is much better but then I went and looked - and yiu can't even see other players missions at all. Seems like a waste. I think knowing general area of interests of a country would be great, and in general that mission system would work well if we had more mission types.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

New dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-28th-september-2021.1492744/

Rebalanced exploit development so instead of bringing over dev to your capital directly, it converts the dev to monarch points and then converts those back to dev at your capital based on your capital's dev cost. Depending on the development of the source province and destination province, I could see this potentially granting a lot more dev actually, but only if your capital is very small. This will hopefully make it very hard, or impossible, to create the really massive super cities that you can currently get.

Institutions are changed so instead of being a generic tech cost penalty applied to all techs, each tech is tied to an institution and you get penalties to researching them for not having those institutions. So countries that are already behind won't fall even further behind and have their research inexplicably slowed down because someone half the world away invented the printing press. It's hard to wrap my head around what other implications this change may have until I see it in action, though.

Also talks of AI improvements. Nothing super concrete like "it will do this one thing better," but it mentions how the AI is constantly fighting against itself, and they're going to try to clean up a lot of the instances where AI routines meant for one scenario are overruling choices in other scenarios.

Lots of other misc things. The AI is going to be better at the economy, for the dozenth time. edit: i realize this is contradictory with the above line, but i didn't read that far ahead okay

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 28, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This all sounds good. "We aim to release it this year". No rush.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wonder how the exploit dev change is going to work if the dev cost of your capital is greater than the dev being exploited in the target province? Is it just going to be impossible to press the button if that's the case? If that's how it works, you might end up with an odd situation where you have a bunch of states that, in total, have enough dev to pass the threshold, but because no individual state has enough exploitable dev there's no way to do it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

I wonder how the exploit dev change is going to work if the dev cost of your capital is greater than the dev being exploited in the target province? Is it just going to be impossible to press the button if that's the case? If that's how it works, you might end up with an odd situation where you have a bunch of states that, in total, have enough dev to pass the threshold, but because no individual state has enough exploitable dev there's no way to do it.

The dev diary explicitly says that any unused exploited dev is lost. Wonder if you exploit a bunch of places in one tick it'll add up and give you dev.

Good change though. Less sold on the institutions rework, it's pretty easy to maintain parity under the current one, and this looks even less burdensome.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The institution change is certainly good in terms of immersion. It was always strange how social changes in a land you never heard about make your progress harder even for Feudal era techs.

On the other hand, I wonder when exactly institution requirements kick in. Right now you have an interesting question in when exactly do you push for developing institutions. If instead of gradual penalty you suddenly bump into 50% increase in tech cost there isn't much choice in the matter.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I imagine it's something like if you don't have printing press you have penalties to techs past level 15 but pre 15 it has no impact.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I imagine it's something like if you don't have printing press you have penalties to techs past level 15 but pre 15 it has no impact.

I think he's wondering if it's a hard 50% penalty once it hits, or if it gradually increases for those techs like it does now for everything.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

THE BAR posted:

I think he's wondering if it's a hard 50% penalty once it hits, or if it gradually increases for those techs like it does now for everything.

The dev diary says it's a fixed 50% penalty, no more gradual increasing.

The impression I'm getting is that that countries leading in tech will have a good chance of reaching the increased tech costs penalty in the tech tree before the institution that lifts that penalty even appears, slowing their tech advancement and giving other countries an opportunity to catch up.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, it looks like the question "Do I improve tech or wait for institutions" is going to not be relevant anymore. Maybe if there's an important war I might throw my MPs at military tech instead of trying to spawn the institution, but that's probably it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vizuyos posted:

The dev diary says it's a fixed 50% penalty, no more gradual increasing.

The impression I'm getting is that that countries leading in tech will have a good chance of reaching the increased tech costs penalty in the tech tree before the institution that lifts that penalty even appears, slowing their tech advancement and giving other countries an opportunity to catch up.

That seems like an opposite solution of the problem EU4 has. Everyone will easily get to tech 31 with every institution before game ends. It's better than the olden EUs where you were automatically screwed by not being european. But I'd like to see starting somewhere else a struggle.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2379885715

This mod has institutions pop every 30 years, with new ones to cover the whole timeline, but also has more ways for them to spread naturally. I have a lot of fun with it, with a house rule of no dev pushing. Building forts will spawn some feudalism if you don't have it, for example. It's a lot of fun to be non-european and deal with the tech penalties. In China or India, you often get printing press before renaissance. You end up having to really struggle against the colonizers instead of just casually button clicking to be equal.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 28, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Most of the changes seem fine, and good luck to them with fixing the AI.

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but the new institution penalty seems like all it does is give you less options/flexibility. I'm not seeing the benefit for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'm cautiously liking it. Far outside Europe it makes more sense, like if you're playing Korea you don't suddenly struggle to research canons because Spain found Brazil and launched colonisation. That makes sense to me.