Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

silicone thrills posted:

Oh :( gently caress :( gently caress. gently caress. god drat it

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1440403014565593099?s=20

sucks, goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

it is a good bet

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

it is a good bet

Really it would be immoral to the shareholders to not make that bet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

looks like the Giant Forest is making it ok so far

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/sequoia-national-parks-giant-forest-unscathed-by-wildfire

quote:

THREE RIVERS, Calif. (AP) — The ancient massive trees of Sequoia National Park’s famed Giant Forest were unscathed Tuesday even though a wildfire has been burning near them on the western side of California’s Sierra Nevada for nearly two weeks.

“As of right now we don’t have any damage to any of our trees,” said fire information officer Mark Garrett.

The KNP Complex, two lightning-sparked fires that merged, has spread over more than 39 square miles (101 square kilometers), feeding on other types of trees that also live on the high-elevation slopes of the mountain range.

Giant Forest is home to about 2,000 sequoias, including the General Sherman Tree, which is considered the world’s largest by volume and is a must-see for visitors to the national park.

The fire recently entered the perimeter of Giant Forest near a cluster of huge trees called the Four Guardsmen but their bases had been wrapped in fire-resistant material and crews had raked and cleared vegetation that could help spread the fire, Garrett said.

Firefighting crews monitored as what was described as a “low-intensity fire” passed through and made sure it did not affect the sequoias, he said.

For decades, Giant Forest has been subjected to prescribed fires that are carefully set and controlled to burn away vegetation that could otherwise become fuel for a fire like the KNP Complex and allow it to become established.

The next closest sequoia grove is Redwood Canyon, but it is at least 6 miles (9.6 kilometers) away and the fire would have to travel up and down terrain to get there, Garrett said.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
if we are gonna switch to renewables we are gonna need a lot of coking coal! I smell opportunity!!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

I can't decide which one of these is my favorite.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

I can't decide which one of these is my favorite.

Wow, coal mining companies work the same way here!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

silicone thrills posted:

lol

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

(from https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/)

The fire is getting pretty close to the big tree :stare:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lmao you can’t search for nature abhors a dome on YouTube?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

"but if you keep polluting we will both surely die," said the worker

"lol" said the corporation. "lmao"

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

kater posted:

lol really?

Holy poo poo you cannot lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kater posted:

lol what in the actual gently caress

type in the exact title and it's nowhere to be found

at least the channel does come up when you search for "objectivity is extinct"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

kater posted:

it's the third (and final lol) result for me when i put it in quotes, but it doesn't show up at all without them

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if the video ever became popular I assume they'd just delete it anyway with one of those disclaimers about climate misinformation or whatever

plenty of people don't want to hear that kind of stuff and probably won't tolerate even the existence of the thought if they can help it. It's why D&D has been worthless for discussing the topic for a long time.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if the video ever became popular I assume they'd just delete it anyway with one of those disclaimers about climate misinformation or whatever

plenty of people don't want to hear that kind of stuff and probably won't tolerate even the existence of the thought if they can help it. It's why D&D has been worthless for discussing the topic for a long time.

You mean voting for progressives so we can get rid of the filibuster so we can be patiently told to wait until we can get the SCOTUS in a better place will not be solving climate change?

Surely we would have heard something by now.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think if we mandate that half of all cars be electric by 2030 we might make some progress

The key is to vote for the racist rapist that is having his border control agents chase down climate refugees on horseback like it's 1800, and then arguing the semantics of whether or not they are truly "Climate Refugees"

Truly the path to the solution

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
But those electric cars are made with good union jobs, Jack! (Also overseas child slave labor and military force)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Complications posted:

Meh, a quick death from fire or a slower one from increasing heat and drought will have the same ending. Those trees aren't surviving much longer either way.

I think it's okay to have feelings though.

Even for dumbass old trees.

"Here I was born, and there I died. It was only a moment for you; you took no notice."

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Serf posted:

kinda glad i didn't go with my childhood dream of being an entomologist

why not? it's getting easier to keep track of the remaining bugs every day

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm all for mourning the trees but if they didn't want to get burned they should have evolved better

Me? I can pretend the fire doesn't exist so that it doesn't win. Checkmate, arborists.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

WampaLord posted:

lol what in the actual gently caress

type in the exact title and it's nowhere to be found

at least the channel does come up when you search for "objectivity is extinct"

you can find it if you put quotes around the search terms, but I suspect it's a 'helpful' typo algorithm doing its thing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Complications posted:

you can find it if you put quotes around the search terms, but I suspect it's a 'helpful' typo algorithm doing its thing

agree

if you search for it in google, it's very obviously the top result

Serf
May 5, 2011

jetz0r posted:

why not? it's getting easier to keep track of the remaining bugs every day

it may have been bullshit because it was the mid-90s and things that were in books were just true, but in this book on bugs i had as a kid it claimed that bugs were the only kind of animal that had never had a species go extinct because of humans. i thought that was impressive. as an adult it occurs to me that i should have been more horrified by the fact that humans were making species of animals go extinct

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
bugs ain't got poo poo. At this point the tardigrades better start throwin hands

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The key is to vote for the racist rapist that is having his border control agents chase down climate refugees on horseback like it's 1800, and then arguing the semantics of whether or not they are truly "Climate Refugees"

About that...

quote:

Under the Geneva Convention relation to the Status of Refugees of 1951, a refugee is a person who “owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable, or owing to such fear is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it”. Under this definition, climate refugee does not satisfy as refugee.

According to the UN Guiding Principle on Internal Displacement, it defines internally displaced persons as “persons or groups of persons who have been forced or obliged to flee or to leave their home or places of habitual residence, in particular as a result of or in order to avoid the effects of armed conflict, situation of generalized violence, violations of human rights or natural or human-made disasters, and who have not crossed an internally recognized State border”.

The UN has recognized that environmental factors may trigger displacement and proposed the term “environmentally displace persons” (EDP) to describe those persons “who are displaced from or who feel obligated to leave their usual place of residence, because their lives, livelihood and welfare have been placed at serious risk as a result of adverse, environmental, ecological, or climatic process and event”.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) distinguishes between refugee and EDP, the loss of national protection is a key element of the refugee definition. According to UNHCR using the term environmental refugee to refer to all people forced to leave their homes because of environmental change loses the distinctive need of refugees for protection. It blurs the respective responsibilities of national government towards their citizens and of international community towards who are without protection. For the UNHCR, the term environmental refugee is a misnomer.

Several proposals have been advanced to address the issue of environmental displacement. It is foreseeable that it will be difficult to expand the scope of the 1951 Refugee Convention to cover EDPs, because an expansion would devalue the current protection for refugees; EDPs are not fleeing state persecution and they do not meet the requirement laid down in Article 1 of the Refugee Convention.

The main difference between as refugee or EDPs is that under international law, EDPs do not enjoy any rights apart from the basic human rights that are accorded to all human beings. They are not eligible to seek for asylum under international law because they are not refugees, and most importantly, these EDPs remain to be a domestic issue.

[For small island states like Kiribati], the present population of these countries will become stateless if their territory submerged under water. While international law has dealt with state succession and the resulting legal situation, it has yet to deal with situation where states completely disappear. There is no framework dealing with citizens with uninhabitable countries.

(Source)

bowser has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Sep 22, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
technically the drones were launched from American soil but the strikes and the drone controller is in international waters so it's not AOC's fault for ordering the migrant convoy to be sunk

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wow, President BEB!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I think if we mandate that half of all cars be electric by 2030 we might make some progress

Truly the path to the solution

I'm pretty sure I ate a probe back in 2018/19 for pointing out (fairly obviously) that the USA would have fully weaponized its southern border by 2050 and just gun down anyone crossing it.

I really wasn't expecting them to start rolling out the first stages of that before we were even into the 2020's. Those pictures are loving insane. :stare:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rime posted:

I'm pretty sure I ate a probe back in 2018/19 for pointing out (fairly obviously) that the USA would have fully weaponized its southern border by 2050 and just gun down anyone crossing it.

I really wasn't expecting them to start rolling out the first stages of that before we were even into the 2020's. Those pictures are loving insane. :stare:

I'm an unabashed fan of Neil Gaiman and well, the series American Gods got kind of hosed. By racism, who woulda thunk it?

But they put this on tape

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5pdjoq

No loving more borders, gracias

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

or maybe just a cozy indoor space

If someone tried to force me to live in any of those places I'd kill myself and take them with me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, it's like someone read/watched A Boy and His Dog and stopped when they got to the description of what "Downunder" looked like.

Fun fact: ABaHD took place in 2024. :shepface:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Complications posted:

I don't think it's that shocking a video with like 2200 views can't be easily found on Youtube, particularly with "nature abhors a ___" having a much much more common alternative final term

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

bowser posted:

About that...

(Source)

well isn’t that convenient

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EvilJoven posted:

If someone tried to force me to live in any of those places I'd kill myself and take them with me.

:rolleyes:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Xeom posted:

“cum socks are the environmentally friendly option”

"don't waste resources by washing your sock"

bug talk: i remember riding through the great dismal swamp as a kid and i thought it was raining and my dad told me "lol that's bugs hitting the windshield"

i haven't been through there in many years, i'd imagine Things Done Changed

but really, let's be loving optimistic here, right? any humans that survive will live in a world without mosquitoes or chiggers

you ever have chiggers? it's a loving nightmare, dude. there can be like 10 or 20, or hundreds of them. they bite you and it injects an enzyme that digests your skin so the little boi can eat you which keeps working even after you wash them off, and it takes days to painfully heal while rednecks tell you to put clear fingernail polish on it to "suffocate the bug that burrowed into your skin" which is absolutely 100% bullshit i loving hate this country.

the whole climate change thing is like realizing i'm covered in chiggers and it's too late even if i wash them off.

but i've been thinking. hey. multicellular life will survive, right? maybe it's a possibility that we could set up large containers of various plant seeds in satellites with timed releases. probably have some high tech AI running the satellites in a network so....wait this is skynet isn't it? i'm inventing skynet in my head, aren't i? politicians will put nukes in the satellites along with the seeds for some stupid loving reason and they're be like "terrible news, everyone. the seed satellites have decided to drop the nukes. RIP we tried. don't forget you can still vote!"

tl;dr bugs gone, maybe good? seeds maybe, terminator yes

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://railyardghosts.bandcamp.com/track/fear-not

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think it's that shocking a video with like 2200 views can't be easily found on Youtube, particularly with "nature abhors a ___" having a much much more common alternative final term

I assumed this as well so I switched the filter to videos posted in the last month and was well into videos about Wheel of Time spoilers with not a trace of the video.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
sequoia this earth :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
there's some intangible irony or something in people only noticing that we killed all the bugs because they're no longer killing lots of bugs with their cars.