Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Antitonic posted:

War and incest, I assume.

No those are just our hobbies, it's misery that sustains us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The British news is v annoying to me personally because it’s a quasi-reactionary political stunt from a government I don’t care for

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

loquacius posted:

Celsius is a measure of how hot something is on a scale of "water freezes" to "water boils" which is extremely useful if you are boiling ice and would like to know about how far along in the process you are but that's about it

Fahrenheit is basically just a measure of "how hot is it outside on a scale of 1 to 100". In Fahrenheit, 0 degrees is "it's really cold" and 100 degrees is "it's really hot". In Celsius, 0 degrees is "it's kind of cold I guess" and 100 degrees is "don't go outside, it's the apocalypse." Baking is easy too, since basically all baking is done at a round number like 350 or 400 degrees.

Also the degrees are smaller and more granularity is very helpful here, you never have to worry about a half-degree or whatever.

dude, calm the gently caress down

you weren't supposed to take the bait

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

loquacius posted:

Celsius is a measure of how hot something is on a scale of "water freezes" to "water boils" which is extremely useful if you are boiling ice and would like to know about how far along in the process you are but that's about it

Fahrenheit is basically just a measure of "how hot is it outside on a scale of 1 to 100". In Fahrenheit, 0 degrees is "it's really cold" and 100 degrees is "it's really hot". In Celsius, 0 degrees is "it's kind of cold I guess" and 100 degrees is "don't go outside, it's the apocalypse." Baking is easy too, since basically all baking is done at a round number like 350 or 400 degrees.

Also the degrees are smaller and more granularity is very helpful here, you never have to worry about a half-degree or whatever.

this is extremely loving stupid

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

loquacius posted:

Fahrenheit has a better use case, which makes people really really mad when you talk about it. Try it out, it's a neat trick!

It literally doesn't and people like you insisting it does are the worst. Celcius and fahrenheit and both equally useful in daily life and your preference is 100% based on which one you're used to, not some nonsense about fahrenheit being "more natural" or whatever

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loquacius posted:

The only imperial measurements I objectively think are a pain in the rear end are the cooking ones, tablespoons and teaspoons and fluid ounces etc, because you have to convert between them more often than you'd think and they're not intuitive no matter how long you've been using them

Argument solved! It's more granular so gently caress metric! Now maybe don't poo poo up the Most Blessed Thread with this stupid bullshit!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

loquacius posted:

I mean this distinction is ridiculous anyway because the human body is ridiculously poor at perceiving temperature gradients of either 1 degree F or C, but also the metric thermostats in my house and car do half degrees and it's fine? There's no inherent value to whole numbers here.

Celsius isn't significantly better than Fahrenheit in its own merits, it's just that it's integrated with the Metric system that is vastly superior to either of the garbage tier Imperial customaries.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

pointing this out drives people loving nuts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Unfortunately I couldn't fit "Here Comes the Metric System" because the text already took up half the gif

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
69 is comfy

420 is good for cooking

standard unit supremacy

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When Lt. Leon Crane's airplane crashed in the Alaskan wilderness on Dec. 21st 1943, the daily high temperature was 40 below zero. I don't need to specify whether that was Celsius or Fahrenheit because they're the same at that temperature.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

time to cook some food using the best possible measurement for it - a temperature system based on an educated guess of the average human body temperature. :agesilaus:

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

furthermore, carolina bbq is the best style and it isn't chili if it doesn't have beans in it. now about star wars...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

loquacius posted:

THAT said, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius for all non-science-related use cases and pointing this out drives people loving nuts

lol hot drat you weren't kidding. Even got a few "I'm not mad YOU'RE the mad one!" posts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
They only hate you because you're right.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wall Balls posted:

furthermore, carolina bbq is the best style and it isn't chili if it doesn't have beans in it. now about star wars...

Cursive handwriting... should it be taught in schools??

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

I bet Mr. Burns isn't circumcised, let's talk about that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm almost 100 pages behind but holy poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Who What Now posted:

I'm almost 100 pages behind but holy poo poo

I really like the posts

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I, too, would like to express my fondness for that particular post

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

edit whoops

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 22, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FEMA summer camp posted:

I bet Mr. Burns isn't circumcised, let's talk about that.

But wouldn't his parents have wanted to stop him from committing the solitary vice?!

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

PittTheElder posted:

I mean this distinction is ridiculous anyway because the human body is ridiculously poor at perceiving temperature gradients of either 1 degree F or C

This whole derail is dumb as gently caress and I’m going to gleefully continue it by saying that if my house is 73, I’m stuffy and warm, 71 I’m kinda chilly, 72 is just right. Kinda weird.

That said, if I go outside yeah I probably can’t tell you the immediate difference between 65 and 70 let alone 65 and 66.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Don't even talk to me unless you use the superior system of measurement, decimal time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Don't even talk to me unless you use the superior system of measurement, decimal time

Can you imagine using the time measurement system based on conversions of 60, 60, either 24 or two identical sets of 12, then some number anywhere between 28 and 31, then 12 again

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loquacius posted:

Can you imagine using the time measurement system based on conversions of 60, 60, either 24 or two identical sets of 12, then some number anywhere between 28 and 31, then 12 again

Okay, you trolled us and we are all burned. Can you please loving go away now?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

loquacius posted:

loving Girondins

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 22, 2021

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

THAT said, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius for all non-science-related use cases and pointing this out drives people loving nuts

I'm going to agree. It makes more sense to have a larger number spread for the temperatures people actually live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I agree with loquacius, it was much better when there were only ten months.