Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

GIVE US MONEY OR LOSE YOUR BONUS

What, pay you back? Naw dawg

Man even the most libertarian capitalists in the US would cream over this idea

you know the post explaining the stamps was cool.

The government blowing up unfinished buildings telling builder to not for for prestige porjects. and hell the 3 red lines the goverment imposed to de leverage buiiders all seem rather reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ups_rail posted:

you know the post explaining the stamps was cool.

The government blowing up unfinished buildings telling builder to not for for prestige porjects. and hell the 3 red lines the goverment imposed to de leverage buiiders all seem rather reasonable.

that's the rub: even completely reasonable limits on debt make things absolutely implode, as they are doing right now. you need eyepopping obscene debt to make the prc re majors' plans work

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

what kind of asian market is it! how dare they!

They have lost face

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
are you sure it wasnt just in, like, boxes that were clearly marked but only in chinese or something

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've eaten several moon cakes a day on occasion, I am not fat.

EDIT; some of my SOs mooncakes, before baking. Using DIY salted chicken yolk insted of duck.

Edit2, some baked ones:

hell yeah :krad:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

are you sure it wasnt just in, like, boxes that were clearly marked but only in chinese or something

nope, asked the clerk directly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat, sucks

makes sense if they were like 100% fixated on bein a korean or japanese mart or something but if its pan asian dealio it shoulda had some mooncakes

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

drat, sucks

makes sense if they were like 100% fixated on bein a korean or japanese mart or something but if its pan asian dealio it shoulda had some mooncakes

not sure about Japanese supermarkets but koreans have moon cakes! I think they're some kind of rice cake but its for Chuseok, the korean version of the autumn moon festival

LOOK HOW CUTE THEY ARE

5er
Jun 1, 2000

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

not sure about Japanese supermarkets but koreans have moon cakes! I think they're some kind of rice cake but its for Chuseok, the korean version of the autumn moon festival

LOOK HOW CUTE THEY ARE

Those look super loving appetizing, will not lie.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Those are songpyeon. They are not good, though better than mooncakes. They have no similarity to mooncakes other than being for the same holiday, though.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

They are not good

Grand Fromage posted:

They have no similarity to mooncakes

Seems there is at least one similarity right there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
moon cakes are a hot water (hot water or oilbased) wheat dough, songpyeon are a no glutinous rice mochi. indeed pretty miserable cold

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah a freshly made songpyeon can be decent, but the ones you get in the store are trash.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Those are songpyeon. They are not good, though better than mooncakes. They have no similarity to mooncakes other than being for the same holiday, though.

Their deliciousness is inversely proportional to their attractiveness. . . which seems to be the norm in most Korean desserts/candies.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
haagen daaz mooncakes are very good even if they are essentially just a mooncake shaped ice cream sandwich

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If I remember right, like most Korean desserts they're gummy and dryer than they look like they should be.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BrainDance posted:

If I remember right, like most Korean desserts they're gummy and dryer than they look like they should be.

Compressed rice coated in dried rice flour . . . tasty.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The korean dense glutinous (?) rice cake things you slice up and fry are real tasty. Can't remember the name of 'em but.

One of the very few worthwhile things from Korea.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Compressed rice coated in dried rice flour . . . tasty.

That's basically what mochi is and mochi rules.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ili posted:

The korean dense glutinous (?) rice cake things you slice up and fry are real tasty. Can't remember the name of 'em but.

One of the very few worthwhile things from Korea.

Ddukbokki?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ddukbokki despite the name is a braise

ili
Jul 26, 2003

No these are sweet and come as a round cake you slice up and fry. They get all gooey in the middle of the slice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hotteok prolly, like one of those novelty shapes of hotteok

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Is it like nian gao?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Hotteok is completely different, those are made from wheat flour and cooked as a whole round thing. At least the ones I had are.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Aww. I was hoping they were red bean in the center or something.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

5er posted:

Aww. I was hoping they were red bean in the center or something.

You can get them with cinnamon sugar or honey, which is the good variety.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Apparently I was thinking of garaetteog gu-i, 가래떡 구이, which I'm told comes in a bunch of different shapes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
가래떡 means "long thin cylinder of 떡 (tteok) " so 가래떡 comes in exactly one shape, long thin cylinders

(:goonsay:)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The best mooncake I ever had was a dark chocolate and peanut butter one from a western style bakery in Shanghai. it was just a very thick reese's and was v good.

I like most mooncakes but I especially like 伍仁月餅 which is basically the fruitcake of mooncakes cuz everyone gets them but everyone also seems to hate them, which works out for me.

IDK why they have such a bad rep, theyre it's nuts and sugar.

e: actually thats a lie the best mooncakes are meat mooncakes which are available for some reason only in shanghai/jiangsu/zhejiang and are also available year-round and are just tiny baked, flakey meat pies.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 22, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Do you guys have any mooncake recipes for the home? I'd be willing to take a shot at making some.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BRB going to Lithuania to pick up cell phones from the garbage.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
This dude is playing 12D chess

https://mobile.twitter.com/vaitor/status/1440241005794508803

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

This is straight out of the cultural revolution.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I now have about a dozen mooncakes around my house, ama

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How's your insulin supply?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

nuts... this is apparently from 2016

e. and it didn't work

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Empty Sandwich posted:

e. and it didn't work

Would have worked for Mao.

Mao 1 Xi 0

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

People in Moscow figured out like 10 years ago that the best way to get the city to do snow removal was to paint opposition leaders names on the big clumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Empty Sandwich posted:

e. and it didn't work

drat :(