Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ford has about the worst build quality I’ve seen on any non-Tesla brand with misaligned panel gaps and trim pieces all over, they’re less reliable and built shoddier than fuckin Hyundais, and every Ford rental I’ve driven or Ford I’ve ridden in—platinum trims included—has been a piece of poo poo experience compared to other mainstream manufacturers.

And yet, having seen a couple driving around now, the Bronco looks so cool that I want one in spite of all the inevitable problems.

Bronco has road presence the Wrangler can’t match, Ford’s gonna drink Jeep’s milkshake, drink it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Just buy a bidet and wash your b-hole instead and enjoy driving a fun car.

I already have a bidet :smugdog: Just missing the fun car part. Thanks for helping me get over the space concerns. Lets see how dealers work out locally if they get delivered any time soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I make costco runs in my BRZ all the time. The trunk actually has more room than the golf (when the seats are up) unless I want to take out the parcel shelf and stack.

It's hard to overstate the general value of the twins, even the old model. Aside from a small bad run of engines in one model year, there have been no glaring mechanical issues, it seats two people very well, it has great driving dynamics, the trunk is normal sized and also has a split 60/40 seats to get even more room and the gas mileage is also pretty decent.

Cherries on top:

Oil changes are dead nuts simple since there's no underbody plates to remove to get to the drain plug and the oil filter is front and center on the top of the engine (and it's a normal filter, not a canister type in a fragile plastic body.)

Brakes are cheap

Tires are cheap

If you don't need to carry more than a single passenger or don't need massive amounts of storage space, it's hard to do better for the price if you want something fun to drive, that's reasonably practical, and cheap to maintain. Probably the mustang is the only other car that falls into this category in the pricerange.

It's basically car distilled without being a stripped down race car.

Only real issue I have is the ground clearance/approach angles. There are stores I can't go to in it because I would scrap badly going in and out of the parking lot.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 21, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

So when is Drake or whoever bringing back gold emblems on cars?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

bull3964 posted:

I make costco runs in my BRZ all the time. The trunk actually has more room than the golf (when the seats are up) unless I want to take out the parcel shelf and stack.

It's hard to overstate the general value of the twins, even the old model. Aside from a small bad run of engines in one model year, there have been no glaring mechanical issues, it seats two people very well, it has great driving dynamics, the trunk is normal sized and also has a split 60/40 seats to get even more room and the gas mileage is also pretty decent.

Cherries on top:

Oil changes are dead nuts simple since there's no underbody plates to remove to get to the drain plug and the oil filter is front and center on the top of the engine (and it's a normal filter, not a canister type in a fragile plastic body.)

Brakes are cheap

Tires are cheap

If you don't need to carry more than a single passenger or don't need massive amounts of storage space, it's hard to do better for the price if you want something fun to drive, that's reasonably practical, and cheap to maintain. Probably the mustang is the only other car that falls into this category in the pricerange.

It's basically car distilled without being a stripped down race car.

Only real issue I have is the ground clearance/approach angles. There are stores I can't go to in it because I would scrap badly going in and out of the parking lot.
Have you tried approaching the ramps onto the lots from an angle?

And also, the $36,000 question: Can I get all this with a Miata too

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You can strap down anything in a convertible.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
The full size bronco has serious road presence, I’ve seen a half dozen of them driving around the metro detroit area and you can spot them from far away, in a good way. Are they going to cut into wrangler sales? Yes. Are they going to hurt the wrangler? Nah.

I can’t wait to see the 392 Wrangler vs Raptor Bronco comparisons!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Has the Mach-E Performance GT made it to any magazine or video reviews as of yet?
Ive seen normal people posting that they received GTs, just wasnt sure if reviewers who said "the normal is pretty good,cant wait to try out the GT or performance GT" had gotten them yet?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Franco Caution posted:

Has the Mach-E Performance GT made it to any magazine or video reviews as of yet?
Ive seen normal people posting that they received GTs, just wasnt sure if reviewers who said "the normal is pretty good,cant wait to try out the GT or performance GT" had gotten them yet?

No, Ford is hiding them from reviewers until they can figure out why it traps the same as a CX-5 turbo.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What does "traps" mean

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fame Douglas posted:

What does "traps" mean

Final speed at the end of a quarter mile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Franco Caution posted:

Ford literally still embargoing. Someone int he EV thread picked his up a week ago and..... it goes from a dig but roll acceleration is very very ordinary. Something aint right

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Knowing Ford, they put the bigger motor and battery in it but the wires and voltage regulators are too small.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

For $36,000 I like to look at C6 Corvettes too. Just 400lbs more weight, not horrible I guess. Plus the power to weight ratio improves.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What are these ramps you speak of?

That's not the way terrain in southwestern pa rolls. Cliffs and drop-offs are how you transition into parking lots after 10 winters frost heave the parking lot 5 inches higher than it was originally built.

I almost high centered it pulling out from an incline on to a road this summer. Made a terrible sound. I'm still scared to go under it and see what may have scraped.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Time for rallycross tires and a slight lift sounds like.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ford literally still embargoing. Someone int he EV thread picked his up a week ago and..... it goes from a dig but roll acceleration is very very ordinary. Something aint right

Saw something similar in the Dual Motor ID4 video Redline did. The numbers are there for instant torque and it should be pretty quick, but they did something to make it start off slow or on a delay.
I'm wondering if this stuff is more play it safe, or we don't know what the gently caress we are doing?
Thats hilarious if the $68k mach-E's trap is anywhere near the Cx-5 turbo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It's gotta be for drivetrain preservation, right? They figure if they release all the e-ponies at once they're going to be lunching transmissions and rear ends faster than they can manufacture replacements. Rather than release the fury and prepare for recalls they just turn the wick down.
Gotta be that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

Saw something similar in the Dual Motor ID4 video Redline did. The numbers are there for instant torque and it should be pretty quick, but they did something to make it start off slow or on a delay.
I'm wondering if this stuff is more play it safe, or we don't know what the gently caress we are doing?
Thats hilarious if the $68k mach-E's trap is anywhere near the Cx-5 turbo.

The Mach-E GT is very quick from a dig and generally about as fast as you’d expect until around 60mph and then falls off pretty rapidly. It traps about 100mph at around 12.5s.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's gotta be for drivetrain preservation, right? They figure if they release all the e-ponies at once they're going to be lunching transmissions and rear ends faster than they can manufacture replacements. Rather than release the fury and prepare for recalls they just turn the wick down.
Gotta be that.

What transmission? It’s a single speed with a motor on each axle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Gotta be that.

Apart from there's no transmission to protect, all the stress is on the launch mostly so the way the Mach-E GT drops off a cliff after 100kph doesnt make a lot of sense unless there is a software / power management issue. Something that can do 0 100 kph in 3.5 sec should be closer to 180-190kph trap, not 160kph.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It makes sense because the faster ICE engines go they more efficient they get but the faster electric motors go, the less efficient they get. The motors probably drop off a cliff or the power delivery can't handle it or something.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

drat so if you get the Performance Edition over the GT you get:
-Range loss of 15 miles
-extra 34ft-lbs torque
-0-60 in 3.5 vs the extremely slow 3.8 seconds
-wallet becomes $5000 lighter

If they bog after its initial 0-60, I wonder how each finishes and what the Performance spec traps?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

It makes sense because the faster ICE engines go they more efficient they get but the faster electric motors go, the less efficient they get. The motors probably drop off a cliff or the power delivery can't handle it or something.
I'm not an engineer but I believe there's lots of intricate details at high RPMs re: heat management and managing mechanical stresses. It could be less of an efficiency issue and more of a reliability one - i.e. the cheaper Ford motors are held back at high RPM so they don't break

This becomes less of an issue once someone develops reliable gearboxes for electric motors but we're not there yet...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What transmission? It’s a single speed with a motor on each axle.

There's still a reduction with gears, input/output shafts and bearings, and a diff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qWBmz-j2k

Still, should be a lot more robust since there are no synchros or collars or teeth to engage, but maybe they chepead out somewhere and used plastic gears or something.

More likely though it's just the motor or electronics running out of steam at higher speeds/rpm

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to guess high speeds means motor gets hot means more resistance in coils means more power draw means more heat means...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dont electric motors mat max torque from 0RPM but torque decreases as RPMs go up? engineering explained talked about it a year or two ago i think.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Say what you want about Tesla’s lackadaisical attitude towards safety and reliability, or Musk’s Billy Mays pitchman personality, it leads to some fast electric cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Elon is a 12 year old boy doodling dream cars in his notebook except he can afford an army of engineers to make them happen.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

I'm not an engineer but I believe there's lots of intricate details at high RPMs re: heat management and managing mechanical stresses. It could be less of an efficiency issue and more of a reliability one - i.e. the cheaper Ford motors are held back at high RPM so they don't break

This becomes less of an issue once someone develops reliable gearboxes for electric motors but we're not there yet...

The motor on both axles in the GT is the same as the motor on the rear axle in the AWD Premium which actually traps a little higher despite being a second and a half slower to 60.

It’s likely related something to do with the battery and not the motors, like throttling the current to prevent heat buildup or damage. It’s possible it can be fixed through software if that’s the case, but nobody really knows since Ford isn’t talking.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

KillHour posted:

Elon is a 12 year old boy doodling dream cars in his notebook except he can afford an army of engineers to make them happen.

No poo poo I believe his tremendous popularity among certain demographics is largely driven by the fact that his entire existence is a validation for stunted manchildren everywhere.

Also Ford performance products tend to deliver so I’m inclined to believe they’re just hosed up somehow and not actually performing as intended.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 22, 2021

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Say what you want about Tesla’s lackadaisical attitude towards safety and reliability, or Musk’s Billy Mays pitchman personality, it leads to some fast electric cars.

A world-class drivetrain surrounded by a pile of poo poo is just american_cars.txt.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Godzilla07 posted:

A world-class drivetrain surrounded by a pile of poo poo is just american_cars.txt.

The Tesla LDU will be the new Chevy 350 v8 of engine (now motor) swaps.

Edit: Case in point https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28215254/teslonda-tesla-powered-honda-drive-interview/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

LOTS of cars have been "we're going to make (objectively stupid thing) because it's cool."

But Elon is the first person to bring a Jobs-like cult of personality along for the ride and it's weird and creepy. It's like he refuses to be in on his own joke. The dude honestly believes he's automotive Jesus.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

The Tesla LDU will be the new Chevy 350 v8 of engine (now motor) swaps.

Edit: Case in point https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28215254/teslonda-tesla-powered-honda-drive-interview/

Tesla would be really cool if they would just sell the motors, controllers, and some batteries. But this is Tesla and they won't even sell you parts to fix your car unless Daddy Elon approves. Meanwhile Chevy there for a minute was selling an electric crate motor that would bolt up to a Turbo 400 trans. https://insideevs.com/news/340975/chevy-camaro-ecopo-and-electric-crate-motor-detailed-in-interview/

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Godzilla07 posted:

Is the Mitsubishi Evo a joke to you?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
My fire alarm in my apartment complex went off around 4am last Saturday because a Tesla caught on fire while it was charging in the garage and proceeded to take out like 3-4 other cars around it. I honestly didn’t even know that was possible and now I park my car far the gently caress away from charging stations

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

The Taycan and E-Tron GT have a 2 speed ZF transmission that probably explains why they seem to overshoot their expected MPGs in the real world. Musk says that transmissions are bullshit and only idiots would use one in an electric car.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Its just drives me crazy to see all the other manufacturers talking about needing to bring it, and match and beat Tesla.
Then they bring it, and not only does it not beat, but it also doesnt match Tesla.

Hopefully Ford gets it worked out and its just a software thing they can adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Franco Caution posted:

Its just drives me crazy to see all the other manufacturers talking about needing to bring it, and match and beat Tesla.
Then they bring it, and not only does it not beat, but it also doesnt match Tesla.

Hopefully Ford gets it worked out and its just a software thing they can adjust.

Lucid might be able to do it but they're costly and the trunk sucks. Still if the on paper claims turn out to be true I would very much prefer a Lucid over a Telsa if the build quality turns out to be good.

https://www.lucidmotors.com/