Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Walla posted:

Thought about that but I need too much else to make it work. Isn't Saturn modification still on mod chips? And I need a CD burner and cds and I'd rather tolerate the extreme slowdown on my tablet for the one game I want to play.

Thanks though.

Nah there are multiple ODE solutions where you can just load games off an SD card or USB, and the Saturn is nice because there’s generally no soldering required, you just disconnect the CD drive and plug the cables into the ODE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Walla posted:

My Vita and 3DS feel too small sometimes. Anything smaller I wouldn't be able to use.

On topic, what's the best solution for Saturn emulation that's under $300? It doesn't even have to be a portable, it just needs decent emulation speed for Saturn/GameCube with the PS2 and Wii being nice bonuses.

If you want GameCube, probably a cheap used mini PC. Something like an HP Elitedesk or Lenovo Thinkcentre with a 4th gen or higher Intel or a Ryzen CPU (I’d avoid the other AMD processors, they don’t perform that well). Load Batocera on it and you’re all set.

I’ve been able to do up to PS3 on a Thinkcentre M710q with an i3-7100 and an M715q with a Ryzen 5 2400GE. Both were under $300, the M710q was only $150.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A hacked Nintendo switch will do it too, but at that point you may as well just wait for the steam deck

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Walla posted:

My Vita and 3DS feel too small sometimes. Anything smaller I wouldn't be able to use.

On topic, what's the best solution for Saturn emulation that's under $300? It doesn't even have to be a portable, it just needs decent emulation speed for Saturn/GameCube with the PS2 and Wii being nice bonuses.

have you looked into the xbox series s?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAjhjp8dnI

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

These days a cheap low-spec PC will handle Saturn emulation just fine, and while it was garbage for a very long time accuracy has significantly increased in the last few years, to the point where I'd say it's now significantly less of a question mark than N64 or PS2 emulation.

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I'd have to say my Powkiddy A66 (previously named Trimui S) is the same size as a Game Boy Micro and it is the perfect tiny cheap emulation device (after updating the firmware and adding MinUI). Here's a shot I found for size comparison:
https://twitter.com/KeepRetro/status/1410460084803674114?s=20

The A66/TrimUI really is a hell of a device with the latest updates. It's just big enough to be playable while being small enough to completely disappear in a pocket, and it feels way more solid than just about anything else Powkiddy puts their name on.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yep it's funny as hell that Powkiddy rebrands so much different stuff, from the solid and incredibly compact Trimui to giant crappy switch knockoffs with terrible dpads and bad screens running unmodifiable firmware.

They even have their own Trimui competitor in the small tiny GBA Micro sized portable, nowhere near as thin or nice looking (without a custom shell) but at least it has a headphone jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0fvlRgsQU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Wait, so Powkiddy rebrands their stuff? It was confusing because some of their products are super well reviewed and then others just look like garbage.
Is there an original source for the RGB10 Max?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zachol posted:

Wait, so Powkiddy rebrands their stuff? It was confusing because some of their products are super well reviewed and then others just look like garbage.
Is there an original source for the RGB10 Max?

I think some of their products like the RGB10 Max are original and some are rebrands

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The RGB10 Max is a better version -- visually -- of the ODroid Go Super, made by a different company that very poorly tries to copy the Switch's design.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My theory is Pawkiddy is basically 3-4 companies using the same brand name, thats why there model numbers make zero sense.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
More Ports, More Moonlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3eNlijVVCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDin77gJjAQ

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

*reaches for mouse to select game in dolphin* why don't i just play this on the computer?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I got my 351MP in the mail. It's a gorgeous little device! I hear that 351elec doesn't work with it though? Are they in the process of developing that?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

GetDunked posted:

I got my 351MP in the mail. It's a gorgeous little device! I hear that 351elec doesn't work with it though? Are they in the process of developing that?

im starting to feel left out since i dont have one of these. I assume most people are buying direct vs doing the aliexpress thing?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GetDunked posted:

They don't have any of 'em in yet, but they're in the mail and they fully plan to support it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Turns out the discord was a lot more active than I thought I just didn't click the thing to join a role :v:

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Are there any worthwhile DIY handheld kits? Or maybe a parts list somewhere that could be used to make one?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

n4 posted:

Are there any worthwhile DIY handheld kits? Or maybe a parts list somewhere that could be used to make one?

There is a Raspberry Pi kit that kinda used a gameboy shell but I’m not sure how worth it it really is.

https://youtu.be/oG-nmmEuWLU

https://youtu.be/LZiflsLATV4

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There’s also the Retroflag GPi which is more true to size but waaaaaaay underpowered. I don’t believe it can even play GBA games all that well since it relies on a Pi Zero.

There has been some work towards getting something better in the same shell, but I tapped out of the Pi emulation realm a bit ago, so I don’t even know what’s it’s called or where it is. I just know it exists.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

n4 posted:

ClockworkPi's DevTerm and GameShell* would probably qualify though both have availability issues and are somewhat underpowered by 2021 standards since they use an older version of the Raspberry Pi Compute Module(the 3 model) rather than the current 4 model(and unfortunately those two models are different enough in design that you can't just swap one in for the other), a shame really as both are gorgeous looking machines

*also this one is lacking in buttons as it only has a d-pad and four face buttons

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/puymhq/powkiddy_a66_external_battery_mod/

:cripes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The guy who glued game cases to his 3DS is back, baby!!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How to make airport security go “hmm.”

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

n4 posted:

MarcusSA posted:

There is a Raspberry Pi kit that kinda used a gameboy shell but I’m not sure how worth it it really is.

https://youtu.be/oG-nmmEuWLU

https://youtu.be/LZiflsLATV4

LODGE NORTH posted:

There’s also the Retroflag GPi which is more true to size but waaaaaaay underpowered. I don’t believe it can even play GBA games all that well since it relies on a Pi Zero.

There has been some work towards getting something better in the same shell, but I tapped out of the Pi emulation realm a bit ago, so I don’t even know what’s it’s called or where it is. I just know it exists.
Original GBA Raspberry Pi kits are the new (old) hotness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl9v7cyxMpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ipSY58WdY

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
That terrible looking playdate ripoff meets retroid pocket 2 is as bad as everyone expected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9cR8skzT9o&t=140s

RG351MP review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEn1UMfc9jw

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

A lot of reviews seem to be dumping on the RG351MP for basically being yet another RK3326 device, but there really aren't many 4:3 ones (it's basically just this, the RG351V, and the Gameforce Chi as far as I can tell), this seems to be the best of the lot, and while it does seem overpriced compared to its processing power, I feel like there's something to be said for these smaller Linux-based devices. I'm as interested in the Ayn Odin or the RG552 as anyone, but Android comes with its own host of issues and they're both going to be quite a bit chunkier. The 351MP seems like the last, best one that'll still reasonably fit into a pocket and boot in under a minute.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I agree on your last sentence completely, it does feel like the best/most premium of the RK3326 devices. I think the trouble is most people passing judgement on it have already got a similar device (myself included, doubly so) and it’s not worth the cost to sidegrade. If I was entering the market now it’s absolutely the model I’d go for.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, it's really dumb and not technically an emulation device, but I might back the Thumby.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenburns/thumby-the-tiny-playable-keychain

It's only $24 after shipping, so it's in impulse-buy territory. Any more than that and I would have said no way.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
it's got link cable support for multiplayer :w00t:

also one of the most adorable promo shots I've ever seen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Froist posted:

I agree on your last sentence completely, it does feel like the best/most premium of the RK3326 devices. I think the trouble is most people passing judgement on it have already got a similar device (myself included, doubly so) and it’s not worth the cost to sidegrade. If I was entering the market now it’s absolutely the model I’d go for.

I completely agree it's not worth a sidegrade (I don't think any of them are, really).

My point is more that I think the people saying "this sucks, get an Odin or a Steam Deck" are missing the appeal of smaller devices like this in the first place. I got into all this because I wanted a decent portable handheld that I could actually carry in a pocket unlike the Switch, so the fact that these things are slowly ballooning back up to the Switch's size makes them a hell of a lot less appealing to me. I'm glad more powerful devices are coming, but I'm also glad we finally have an ultimate version of the current gen.

Taki Udon is hinting that there might be an internal upgrade for the Retroid Pocket 2 available that'll make it more powerful while retaining the same small footprint, which could be great, except... well, it's Taki Udon, and it's the Retroid Pocket 2, so I'm taking that with a whole shaker of salt.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the biggest argument against 351 device is that Anbernic release new revision so often you might as well wait another half year and see what happen.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I feel like for how small the screen is on the 3.5 inch devices that the RK3266 can play pretty much everything you'd want to play on them. Once you start getting into more 3d games you really need a bigger screen size to tell what's going on. That's my experience at least.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

sethsez posted:

I got into all this because I wanted a decent portable handheld that I could actually carry in a pocket unlike the Switch,

100% in agreement, IMO that's the whole point of these things. I get maybe wanting something to play on the couch, but I don't need something high-powered for that, because who on earth wants to play high-end titles on a small screen? But anything too big to carry in my pocket ends up staying docked at home, so why not just use my pc. For me the larger devices fill no niche that isn't already filled better. I totally get that not everyone is in that same position though.

What's frustrating to me is the silly dance around the perfect 4:3 RK3266 device without ever hitting it. The 351v is so close, but for the vertical form factor and lack of second stick. The 351MP fixes those things, but then drops wifi and is just a bit too heavy to be comfortable. I've come around on thinking the wifi isn't that big of a deal - I mean if the point is to keep it in your pocket, you're probably using it away from wifi a lot anyway - but the weight of the thing has gotten kinda cumbersome.

My perfect device would be a plastic-shell 351MP with 5ghz wifi and a fn button tucked away somewhere. But the MP is so close I wouldn't bother with such a thing unless it also came with a processor upgrade. But then, a higher single-thread-performance processor is gonna run hotter and need a bigger & heavier battery no matter how you slice it, and I have no idea if the trade-off would end up worth it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 29, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sethsez posted:

well, it's Taki Udon,
Did I miss something about Taki?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There’s a barely acknowledged conflict of interest at the core of many of these channels, and for whatever reason that stood out for me with Taki in particular (but it’s been a while since I’ve seen his videos, so sorry for nothing more specific).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the biggest argument against 351 device is that Anbernic release new revision so often you might as well wait another half year and see what happen.

As someone who keeps getting close to pulling the trigger on various devices but then doesn't, the best time to get one of these handhelds feels permanently stuck at "six months from now".

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

There’s a barely acknowledged conflict of interest at the core of many of these channels, and for whatever reason that stood out for me with Taki in particular (but it’s been a while since I’ve seen his videos, so sorry for nothing more specific).

Is it that they're all receiving the devices for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
More the affiliate links.