Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Turns out that Noelle gets a class change after you give her the thorn ring

Well, that's dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

I wanna mention something I really liked About Kris' and Noelles' friendship over the course of chapter 2

Playing through the chapter you might feel compelled to constantly protect her.

But if you take all the "bully" options, launch mice at her, try to walk off on her, scare her with an electric barrier and so on, it quickly becomes apparent she enjoys it.
She's constantly laughing, she gives as good as she gets sometimes, and she's sassy as hell.
She's basically having the time of her life.

And this seemingly doesn't match up with the fact she's supposed to be a huge scaredy-deer, that is until she tells Susie that she enjoys being scared so long as she feels "safe".

And that explains her behaviour, it doesn't matter if she's in a strange world being chased by a crazy queen who wants to replace her face with a cool robot face, so long as she's with Kris she feels completely safe.

This also recontextualizes chapter 1.
even ignoring the whole "Is Kris really Chara the love baby of Gastor and Frisk and also Papyrus is there!?!" nonsense, the chapter does go out of its way to make Kris seem sinister.
On top of the pie knife scene, the characters love too mention how much Kris loved to terrify Noelle, which can make Kris come across as as mean spirited.

But with this context that gets completely tossed out, Noelle loved it and they were in fact great friends.

It also makes the Snowgrave route even more monsterous, you not only preyed on her trauma and need to be told what to do, but you did while wearing the face of someone who made her feel safe.

gently caress this is such good characterisation and like 98% of players will never see this because everyone playing these games is conditioned to never ever pick anything that isn't the nicest option possible

i certainly didn't!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Amppelix posted:

gently caress this is such good characterisation and like 98% of players will never see this because everyone playing these games is conditioned to never ever pick anything that isn't the nicest option possible

i certainly didn't!

I was trying to be nice, but I screwed up the mouse puzzles a few times and got lost a lot and I noticed that she never used her upset face, she was always smiling when I spooked her.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Amppelix posted:

i certainly didn't!

i didn't pick the bullying options and i don't have any regrets :colbert:

Although I did zap her with an energy beam that one time but in my defense she was being constantly horny all the time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

staplegun posted:

i didn't pick the bullying options and i don't have any regrets :colbert:

Although I did zap her with an energy beam that one time but in my defense she was being constantly horny all the time.

Notice how the one bullying option that doesn't get that amused reaction is telling Susie that she's an enemy. Meanwhile, nearly shocking Noelle gets her turning the beam back on you and giggling about it. Both are pretty dangerous circumstances, but while she takes it in stride around Kris she's super nervous when with other people.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

that immune to mice message is no joke. Noelle can 1 turn 100% them for free afterwards. I do think you have to dodge all the cheese and backtrack after the immunity puzzle to see that, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Amppelix posted:

i certainly didn't!
Well, yeah, you have to play like Kris. Chapter 1 already tells you how Kris acts with Noelle!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Something I've been mulling over, but haven't come to any conclusion about yet: We the player can't see Kris emote or hear them talk while we're controlling them. We can only get the broadest of gestures as they move, fight, and ACT; our only perception of Kris is filtered through the game mechanics. They're obviously talking, but we can't hear them, all we can hear is how other people respond. Even when Kris has a meltdown we don't get to see any of it.

So, how much of Heartless Kris are we unable to perceive? Are they saying anything? Are they making any gestures other than the puppet-jerking from position to position?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How did I miss Berdly saying "I have chosen the Susan route in the VN of life."!?

He's hilarious.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

How did I miss Berdly saying "I have chosen the Susan route in the VN of life."!?

He's hilarious.

Berdly is both awful and hilarious.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Amppelix posted:

i certainly didn't!
I didn't do some of the meaner ones because they didn't occur to me but I 100% messed with her on every mouse puzzle because it was adorable :kimchi:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Berdly is both awful and hilarious.

on the alternate route only a kiss from a beautiful gamer girl can save him now........

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So this is what it takes huh (spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXI87dR74iI

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Regallion posted:

holy shiiiit the sheer volume of little details in this game

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regallion posted:

"Ralsei, I had Noelle kill a dude with this thing."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No that's her starting ring.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No that's her starting ring.

"Ralsei, I had Noelle kill a dude to replace this with a better ring"

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Regallion posted:

This is wild as hell

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
All characters have lines for when you try to make them equip things they can’t (or won’t) equip.

Susie refuses to equip any of the hair ribbon armors, and gets increasingly frustrated as you get access to girlier ones and try to put those on her.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Hey, crackpot theory time.
What if Kris didn't make any of the first three Dark Worlds? What if the one in his house is the first one they made? Queen just told the party how to make them, after all... Anyone could've made the closet and classroom worlds since they were closed off. There was a closet in the computer room someone could've hid in waiting until Noelle and Berdley came in.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

McFrugal posted:

Hey, crackpot theory time.
What if Kris didn't make any of the first three Dark Worlds? What if the one in his house is the first one they made? Queen just told the party how to make them, after all... Anyone could've made the closet and classroom worlds since they were closed off. There was a closet in the computer room someone could've hid in waiting until Noelle and Berdley came in.

Then how did they (we still don't know what sex they are, don't we?) have the/a specific knife to make the fountain? Didn't the lore state that a specific type of knife was needed?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also don’t forget Kris, not us, had a save file in the dark world that we overwrite at the start. Doesn’t mean they created it, but it suggests they’ve been there before.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Samovar posted:

Then how did they (we still don't know what sex they are, don't we?) have the/a specific knife to make the fountain? Didn't the lore state that a specific type of knife was needed?

Absolutely not, Berdly is about to do it with his Halberd. The Knight used a Knife, but you don't need one I'd guess.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Samovar posted:

Queen tells Noelle to use the pin she gave her earlier, so I assume any particularly sharp and/or pointy implement will do

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Also don’t forget Kris, not us, had a save file in the dark world that we overwrite at the start. Doesn’t mean they created it, but it suggests they’ve been there before.

I've felt significantly less guilty about overwriting it following the end of Chapter 2 than I did at the end of Chapter 1.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I've felt significantly less guilty about overwriting it following the end of Chapter 2 than I did at the end of Chapter 1.

Why? I think this chapter goes into quite a bit more detail about why Kris's situation is kinda messed up than Chapter 1 did.

E: Like, it's got all those Spamton puppet metaphors that freak them out.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It seems any pointy thing can. Queen tells Noelle to do it with a pin. Might not work but it doesn't seem like the knife is special.

I've also been wondering if it really is Kris that has opened all the fountains. They could've, but when did they make the one in the library? And Kris doesn't seem to move that fast without the soul so shambling across town seems like a bad idea.

Save editing your health is really easy by the way. I am too lazy to learn Jeevils patterns. Your saves are in your %appdata% local folder. You can open them in any notepad program and there will be 2 lines per character that will show you their current and max health (you're at full health if you saved). You can find the line numbers on Reddit or whatever pretty easily but there's not that much going on in the save files so you don't ready need it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why? I think this chapter goes into quite a bit more detail about why Kris's situation is kinda messed up than Chapter 1 did.

They're also actively, knowingly, putting the whole world in jeopardy for the sake of their escapism, at least it appears that way in the absence of any exculpatory evidence at the moment. As of the end of Chapter 2 Kris under their own power is now the closest thing that this game has to an overarching villain, with the player being the villain of the Weird Route.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

E: Like, it's got all those Spamton puppet metaphors that freak them out.

:same:

like, I've seen some folks say that they hate Kris but I feel like we must've played different games or they really misread the game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

They're also actively, knowingly, putting the whole world in jeopardy for the sake of their escapism, at least it appears that way in the absence of any exculpatory evidence at the moment. As of the end of Chapter 2 Kris under their own power is now the closest thing that this game has to an overarching villain, with the player being the villain of the Weird Route.

Yeah and it's sick. I support my pal Kris in their endeavors.

Like, I don't really feel guilty or anything but I also don't think Kris being the knight really negatively impacts my opinion on them. Sure they could destroy the world or whatever but I don't think that's the goal and they're also handling it with their friends (and me). Mostly the biggest problem they've caused is slashing some tires to get Susie to have a sleep over and hell, I forgive them. I agree that Kris is going to be a major antagonist but I dunno the more we learn about them the more I like them. They're a cool kid imo.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Troubled boys be lashing out. Rock on little buddy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

God drat it I missed out on this because I had Kris Act and and the 4th party member spare to finish the fight in one turn.

https://youtu.be/LTe1t7kiVhE

Curse my efficient playstyle. :argh:

Do they not get an ACTion option if you don't?

Procrastine posted:

But what about your fourth party member? Shouldn't they get more powerful too?

They're already able to do the same new thing as Ralsei and Susie by that point so I don't think they're underpowered or anything. But there's always room to grow for everyone.

Really annoyed that after clearing my watch history YouTube persists in remembering that I watched a Deltarune video and showing me spoilers.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kris might let us in on their plans more if we play nice. Had the game told me to slash the tires I would've.

We also don't know how much control Kris had over us controlling them. Where did the soul come from and why are we attached to it?

Also I've missed teaching Noelle about combat twice and she still has N-act.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nina posted:

Troubled boys be lashing out. Rock on little buddy
gonna be that person and point out again that Kris has explicitly and consistently not been gendered, by the game itself and Toby outside of the game

even their own mom and friends uses they/them, this isn't really a blank slate like Undertale

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
*Troubled little buddies be lashing out

I really like Kris. I keep feeling like their relationship to the player is almost adult-child like, and their mid-teens dramatic showmanship of acting out is very cute because of it. Like it's put on exaggerated display just to show you up for messing with their groove

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Brandfarlig posted:

We also don't know how much control Kris had over us controlling them. Where did the soul come from and why are we attached to it?

I think the soul is Kris's and we're attached to it because they summoned us. Kris's interest in the occult is brought up a few times in Chapter 2 but the biggest thing that stands out is the response you get for acting to click on the popup enemy

quote:

* You unconsciously clicked on a popup about demon summoning classes for teens.

Chara stands in front of a black background and refers to themself as the demon that comes when you call their name and the one time we definitely take complete control over Kris for a brief moment (even pressing right to move them while text is happening) is when Noelle is thinking to herself while the screen is a black background. The player as a summoned entity that can help or hurt Kris makes a lot of sense when you consider that Kris is a lonely, alienated teenager from a broken home that's been distant from their only non-Asriel friend for years and has recently lost all means of contact with Asriel who's established as someone that Kris would talk to online for several hours every night. Making a deal with a presence that you cede nearly all control to in return for hopefully making your life better when you go on fun adventures with new friends is a good trade for someone in Kris's situation

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 22, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Your Computer posted:

gonna be that person and point out again that Kris has explicitly and consistently not been gendered, by the game itself and Toby outside of the game

even their own mom and friends uses they/them, this isn't really a blank slate like Undertale

I would also wish to emphasis the point made in this post.

Also, whoops - you lot were right and I had simply forgot re. the formation of fountains . Dah-hoy.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

zetamind2000 posted:

I think the soul is Kris's and we're attached to it because they summoned us. Kris's interest in the occult is brought up a few times in Chapter 2 but the biggest thing that stands out is the response you get for acting to click on the popup enemy

Chara stands in front of a black background and refers to themself as the demon that comes when you call their name and the one time we definitely take complete control over Kris for a brief moment (even pressing right to move them while text is happening) is when Noelle is thinking to herself while the screen is a black background. The player as a summoned entity that can help or hurt Kris makes a lot of sense when you consider that Kris is a lonely, alienated teenager from a broken home that's been distant from their only non-Asriel friend for years and has recently lost all means of contact with Asriel who's established as someone that Kris would talk to online for several hours every night. Making a deal with a presence that you cede nearly all control to in return for hopefully making your life better when you go on fun adventures with new friends is a good trade for someone in Kris's situation

This is probably correct. It's interesting that they were that successful though. And it doesn't seem like the other goth nerds know about it. Then again Kris is the only human and it does seem like we're on UT logic where monsters don't have separate souls like humans do.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's a bit unclear how much we're still following the Undertale rules for how monsters work. On top of dust and stuff, we've seen Susie can easily physically overpower Kris and hold her own fighting him and Ralsei, and Undyne is capable of bench pressing an automobile like it's nothing, which is pretty different from UT establishing they're far weaker than humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Monsters were never depicted as physically weak; even in Undertale Undyne would suplex boulders just because she can.

The reason monsters lose to humans is that they are extremely susceptible to emotions. It's not Frisk's knife that kills them, it's our hostility and malice.