Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Have you done performance driving before or was this your first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

Have you done performance driving before or was this your first time?

I’ve not done this specific event before. Did an early version of the BMW event at Thermal before the facility was complete. Ultimate drive a few times, with different configurations of events. A few Porsche events and a corvette one at Fonatana speedway (that one was excellent! C7 launch event.) doesn’t take much for me to go burn up someone else’s gas and tires.

Totally owning my being a dork today, but figured someone might enjoy the write up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You should do an HPDE and get on track. It's worth it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

You should do an HPDE and get on track. It's worth it.

I asked about the upcoming track day at Laguna Seca and the BMW people there kind of poo poo talked it. I might sign up for the two day thermal event, or head back to Porsche since it’s less of a drive.

Any specific recommendations other than the big commercial ones?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I asked about the upcoming track day at Laguna Seca and the BMW people there kind of poo poo talked it. I might sign up for the two day thermal event, or head back to Porsche since it’s less of a drive.

Any specific recommendations other than the big commercial ones?

NASA is the gold standard, IME. They take safety very seriously and make everyone start in group 1, which has a classroom session after every time on track and a dedicated instructor who will always be in your car with you until they decide you're ready to move up to group 2.

https://members.drivenasa.com/events

Also, join us in the track day and racing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490129&pagenumber=131#lastpost

Edit: SSCA might be bigger than NASA on the west coast but I haven't run with them before so I can't offer any advice there.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 22, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

NASA is the gold standard, IME. They take safety very seriously and make everyone start in group 1, which has a classroom session after every time on track and a dedicated instructor who will always be in your car with you until they decide you're ready to move up to group 2.

https://members.drivenasa.com/events

Also, join us in the track day and racing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490129&pagenumber=131#lastpost

Edit: SSCA might be bigger than NASA on the west coast but I haven't run with them before so I can't offer any advice there.
NASA's big in Norcal. They are excellent, sometimes sticklers but in a good way

Also the Hooked on Driving guys are super chill and IMO no less safe

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Almost forgot. All new drivers must watch this instructional onboarding video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KillHour posted:

We all know you're an old man on your big fluffy couch you call a motorbike.
It's not one of the Harley touring models, so it's hardly a couch! It is comfortable, but not super comfortable.

KillHour posted:

The 530 is slow and wallowy and not all that nice inside unless you tick all the boxes. Reminds me of an old Pontiac. But maybe that's your thing.

If you want something even remotely engaging to drive and a BMW badge, you want a 3er. If you want something comfortable and competent and German and very numb you want an Audi.
5: Slow, wallowy, yeah, this is swaying me towards the 3.

I definitely do not want an Audi. Their looks don't do it for me.

TheBacon posted:

I think based on your bike tastes you want a Mustang Mach-E (if they even are selling them in weird america) nostalgic americana but electric/hybrid/responsible whatever
I'm in the UK, and yes the eStang does look very good, but I think a hybrid is more for me at the moment because while I want electric for short journeys, but petrol for if I need to get down to London from Scotland. And I like BMWs in general!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

And I like BMWs in general!

Condolences.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Do 2021 BMWs have the speed limiters installed in the UK, or is only 2022 ones that will?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Build date for my M340 pushed back from start of October to end of November, because everyone everywhere is out of everything

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Build date for my M340 pushed back from start of October to end of November, because everyone everywhere is out of everything

I would do yourself a favor and not constantly F5 your build status. Everything is bouncing around week to week. I've had cars show a production week a month and a half out then suddenly switch to 150 status (scheduled for or in production) out of nowhere.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kill me now posted:

I would do yourself a favor and not constantly F5 your build status. Everything is bouncing around week to week. I've had cars show a production week a month and a half out then suddenly switch to 150 status (scheduled for or in production) out of nowhere.

Truth!!! I learned that lesson after F5-ing my M2 build all day every day for 3 months

I only know this because my M Series Private Client Advisor sent me a hastily scrawled email with lots of typos saying "I want you to know before you disappoint"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Truth!!! I learned that lesson after F5-ing my M2 build all day every day for 3 months

I only know this because my M Series Private Client Advisor sent me a hastily scrawled email with lots of typos saying "I want you to know before you disappoint"

Is his name Chad?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Oh man there's an M340i wagon with a brown interior and only about 1600 km available locally, but I'm still waiting on being able to sell some shares and as such won't have the money to be looking at a new car until early next year...

Was looking at newer used M2's but I flip-flopping about if I should aim slightly more towards practicality (larger luggage area for bikes, AWD for snow, 4 doors, less fuel consumption).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dumb question, everything I have seen suggests exhaust routing/hanging for E9X N52 platforms is the same. Is anyone that would for sure know an E90 fitment suggest part would *not* fit an E91? I have a lead on an old new stock Dinan E90 N52 exhaust that was considering.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Love this thing

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Voltage posted:

Love this thing

Have the AMMO guys actually touched it? That sticker owns bones regardless.

Finally went over 10k miles a couple of weekends ago on a ~2 hr trip downstate to a dinky little lake to race sailboats. Its a good car for that trip, but gets annoying beyond that distance.

Met a guy with a completely stock unmolested 140k mile silver ZHP down there though. I had never actually driven one, good fun, I understand the mythos now. He was...enamored with the M2 lol

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Voltage posted:

Love this thing

Looks great. Alpine White is the gold standard for whites IMO.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Color is actually Hockenheim silver, looks white or blueish under certain light - I originally wanted the blue or black but I'm really really glad I went with the "silver".

I use a bunch of ammo detailing stuff, I actually live super close to Larry's shop, but I like doing stuff myself and I used to be a detailer awhile back, but I may take my Packard there after I repaint it for a polish etc.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Voltage posted:

Color is actually Hockenheim silver..

Ah well it fooled me, I was just looking at it on my phone.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what the gently caress

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Is it a stick at least????

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Clearly it's not, it says 'convertible' right there

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Are red on black early 2010s BMWs worth that much because lmao someone give me 22k for my E82 pls

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

rscott posted:

Are red on black early 2010s BMWs worth that much because lmao someone give me 22k for my E82 pls

you’re underselling yourself, friend

A quick perusal of the auction results for 135’s show this to be true.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

hmmm are e46s super inflated right now, my 330ci is mostly sitting around these days. still love it but for the right price...

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what the gently caress

Doing a direct currency conversion, which isn’t the most accurate, I paid about 1k more than that for a 2014 4 series convertible, with less miles. I’m guessing the US market is more hosed up than ours?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

These prices are insane. What’s the market for a rust free E36M3/4/5 w/290k miles on it?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

We Buy Any Car, which for our non-U.K. friends is basically where you go to quickly offload your car for a less than optimal price if you don’t want to go through the aggro of privately selling and are not part-exchanging, will take my 2017 320i off my hands for £19,500.

Shits mad.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Starting to look like dropping 2-3k to fix the paint on my 328 actually makes some financial sense

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I genuinely don't think the high price on every used car madness is going to continue.

I will admit, the first time someone waves fifty grand in my face for my M3 I will likely have a difficult time turning them down.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

maybe not on every used car, but the BMW market has its own dynamics, and I wonder how that will play out

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ThirstyBuck posted:

These prices are insane. What’s the market for a rust free E36M3/4/5 w/290k miles on it?

idk, but i sold my friend my 6spd 04 ZHP like five years ago at market rate, he put 60k miles on it (240k total), and just sold it this week for what he paid me

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 1, 2021

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I genuinely don't think the high price on every used car madness is going to continue.

I will admit, the first time someone waves fifty grand in my face for my M3 I will likely have a difficult time turning them down.

The new car market isn’t getting fixed any time soon. Since that is the primary driver of the used car market don’t expect things to change there either.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=E36+M3&type=no-reserve

My guess is more than it has any reason to be.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Only a couple each of Daytona Violet and Dakar Yellow. Stupid high prices for those, too. I guess people simply aren't selling those even in this market.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I had a tune put on my E91 after I put on a three stage intake manifold. I've only been to this shop twice but they always have some crazy stuff on the lifts.

Everything here is swapped and tuned to the moon. The yellow E36 makes 750whp, the ti has an S54, and the E28 has its original M10 that makes about 6 hp.

This was so mint and I just loved how period appropriate the color was for it. Platinum Green I was told.

There was a new M4 parked outside in the shouty yellow color but I forgot to check out its snout in the flesh.

In brief, they were very bored with my requested service but I got to check out some cool stuff while my car was flashed.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

loving owns :hfive: fellow E91 buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aawww lookit that cute little tailpipe :kimchi: