Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it got me where i am today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

so, generally speaking i don't fix /mod physical hardware if it's non-trivial. i have done some basic soldering before. i have a ps4 controller that has a scuffed usb-c port from being dropped a few too many times etc., and i'm just wondering - how difficult is it to replace a female usb-c port with a hardwired normal usb port? i suppose basically just soldering a cable in place into the existing connector would be easiest, but the port is scuffed. i know i could just replace the controller, but tbh the idea of having a hardwired, first party ps4 controller that's in good shape sounds pretty appealing, as they often develop this

i know i'd need a basic soldering iron, but aside from that does anyone have good recs /guides for how to do this and what i might need for it?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
seems like it would be easier to just fix it normally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JAFC1PEfR4

that said if you are determined it looks like there isn't anything really stopping you from soldering a cable directly on. Would be a good idea to add some strain relief even just say a knot in the cable and some hot glue. Other than that why not, if you gently caress it up really good then just buy one of those replacement boards

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

seems like it would be easier to just fix it normally...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JAFC1PEfR4

that said if you are determined it looks like there isn't anything really stopping you from soldering a cable directly on. Would be a good idea to add some strain relief even just say a knot in the cable and some hot glue. Other than that why not, if you gently caress it up really good then just buy one of those replacement boards

thanks bobbilljim, it's this part in particular i'm unsure about; how exactly do you wire a usb-c port to a cable like that? i've never done technical / small soldering. what's a basic iron that can do that easily, and what do i do exactly? i'm not particularly clumsy and i have a decent magnifying glass but otherwise don't know much about it

e: would one way be to just put the cable in and hot glue or otherwise epoxy it, no soldering? so it wouldn't be electrically fused, just physically

i'd still like to know how to solder it but maybe that would work more easily; if i just replaced the port and then epoxied the cable in place

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 11, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Broken Machine posted:

thanks bobbilljim, it's this part in particular i'm unsure about; how exactly do you wire a usb-c port to a cable like that? i've never done technical / small soldering. what's a basic iron that can do that easily, and what do i do exactly? i'm not particularly clumsy and i have a decent magnifying glass but otherwise don't know much about it

e: would one way be to just put the cable in and hot glue or otherwise epoxy it, no soldering? so it wouldn't be electrically fused, just physically

i'd still like to know how to solder it but maybe that would work more easily; if i just replaced the port and then epoxied the cable in place

if you're going that route, instead of getting stuck with a cable, maybe go with one of those magnetic usb connectors that clicks into a corresponding cable? i've got those things plugged into basically everything now and they own

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

if you're going that route, instead of getting stuck with a cable, maybe go with one of those magnetic usb connectors that clicks into a corresponding cable? i've got those things plugged into basically everything now and they own

that's cool, i didn't know those existed, have to keep that in mind for future projects. i've been considering options, and i think i'm just going to get a new ps4 controller, a 10' usb-c to usb cable, and use a glue gun to fix it in place. that'll work, be easy and still have a somewhat ghetto homebrew look to it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ps4 controllers don’t have usb-c. make sure you don’t get the wrong cable/connector

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

ps4 controllers don’t have usb-c. make sure you don’t get the wrong cable/connector

oh that's a good point. that's probably how i scuffed the port in the first place now that you mention it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

mag cable vendors don't give a poo poo they'll just send you a whole bag of everything https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XHKGV6P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

You would have to desolder the connector and then there are 5 wires for micro usb (positive negative ground and 2 data), you can find out which pins are which online or use a multimeter and check the plug end of the cord vs the end you cut off just being careful to consider how it would be plugged in. normally when you cut open a cable they use unsurprising colours for the wires so usually you would have a red and black for positive and negative. Ground is often a tinfoil kind of thing maybe with a bare wire in it so you just have to kinda roll it up. Might be easiest to solder on some leads then connect those to the wire in case u need to swap some around. Oh yeah also I would put some hot glue down over the connector area once you have soldered on to it and it's working for isolation / strain relief. as well as fixing the cable in the case. For the soldering iron pretty much anything will work but you will want a fairly small tip either chisel or pointy would work.

A usb cable:

Desoldering the connector can be a pain, you should have some copper braid to soak up the solder, some new solder to loosen it, and if you can a solder sucker. maybe flux too but solder has that in it.

Plugging in then gluing down one of those magsafe knockoff usb connectors seems like a good idea though. wouldnt even bother gluing it really at that point though unless you have a hungry toddler or something.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
used to be a big ps4 controller fan until I got a new xbox controller and now the ps4 controller feels so .. antiquated

xbox controller has usb-c but has normie batteries and needs an additional battery thing to make it rechargable from usb-c

also unlike the ps4 controller *it just works* with windows

I grew up in the era when microsoft was hated and the idae of them making a console was an utter joke. those things are still true but the xbox controller is good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
uhhhhh

usbc cabling is....a little more complex than 4 wire usb.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

uhhhhh

i feel for he who just presumes he can resolder it and snips off an end all cavalier

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

uhhhhh

turns out it's micro usb like a phone charger, but i'm not sure that makes it easier to solder (e: it does, it's just the 5 pins). sounds to me like it'd be an advanced job and i don't have the gear for it. so i'll defer that for another time, and just use a glue gun instead. i know that'll be fun and it'll work, and i won't end up w/ a pcb going up in smoke

bobbilljim's explanation was good, and thanks everyone for the help. at some point here soon though, i probably will end up picking up a soldering iron. the first thing i'm going to do with it is see if i can fix a 32" tv i have set aside. think it just needs a bunch of new capacitors, so that shouldn't be too tough to work / learn on

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 12, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

echinopsis posted:

used to be a big ps4 controller fan until I got a new xbox controller and now the ps4 controller feels so .. antiquated

xbox controller has usb-c but has normie batteries and needs an additional battery thing to make it rechargable from usb-c

also unlike the ps4 controller *it just works* with windows

I grew up in the era when microsoft was hated and the idae of them making a console was an utter joke. those things are still true but the xbox controller is good

if you like the xbox controller you'll love the switch pro one

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

flakeloaf posted:

if you like the xbox controller you'll love the Xbox elite controller
ftfy

having buttons mapped to paddles on the back is a game changer…

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Broken Machine posted:

turns out it's micro usb like a phone charger
do you use an android phone from 2014?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

namlosh posted:

ftfy

having buttons mapped to paddles on the back is a game changer…

i've been switching between the steam controller and xbox one controller for steam link gaming and even two back paddles is such an use improvement combined with shoulder buttons

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

butt dickus posted:

do you use an android phone from 2014?

yes. e: actually more like 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not really a problem but a request for suggestions: what 34" curved monitor should i buy for a workstation that does occasional gaming? budget is ~$1000. I was eyeballing a Dell U3421WE but it has been out of stock for a long time and may never be in stock again.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ansible Adams posted:

not really a problem but a request for suggestions: what 34" curved monitor should i buy for a workstation that does occasional gaming? budget is ~$1000. I was eyeballing a Dell U3421WE but it has been out of stock for a long time and may never be in stock again.

i don’t generally suggest curved displays, but if that’s the spec then lg 34GK950F (amd) or 34GK950G (nvidia)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i don’t generally suggest curved displays, but if that’s the spec then lg 34GK950F (amd) or 34GK950G (nvidia)

oh why not? it seemed better for it to be curved for... reasons?... easier to look at or more ergonomic somehow?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ansible Adams posted:

oh why not? it seemed better for it to be curved for... reasons?... easier to look at or more ergonomic somehow?

part personal preference, part types of recommendations people ask me of me. 34” is basically the smallest size where i would even consider curved display, and people i get to talk to typically buy smaller screens. if it is to be a 34” curved though then i recommend a gentle curve, 1600R minimum (this number works like circle radius, so bigger number - flatter curve, what i suggested to you is 1900R). the advantages of a curved display are glaringly obvious when you get into 40”+ snow shovel range, because then you’re really going to be turning your head around, but at 34” it can be a measurable improvement as well, depending on what’s your setup geometry is like.

unless you’re doing graphical work, where i would strongly suggest flat display regardless of the size - but at $1000 “workstation monitor” budget it’s a safe assumption that this is not 2d graphics workstation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a 27" flat qhd that does 144hz or better. who the gently caress is buying curved postage stamp sized monitors

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a 27" flat qhd that does 144hz or better. who the gently caress is buying curved postage stamp sized monitors

the curved ones are only good if youre sitting monitor distance away from it, yea

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Gentle Autist posted:

any ideas on why the native sound device on a 2017 mba would just disappear

I’ve tried resetting the PRAM and poo poo, and updating macOS. coreaudiod appears to be running fine and not spitting any errors

the issue began on catalina, updated to big slur, same. cpu is going crazy all the time too but there’s nothing weird running afaict. sometimes kernel task spikes and then whatever the active app is will spike, even if nothing is going on. i suspect some indexing poo poo is happening in spotlight or whatever. I disabled the photos.app face indexing stuff

next thing imma do is flatten and reinstall with a fresh big slur. it’s my wife’s laptop and she doesn’t have any patience for dumb computer poo poo (like me), so hopefully a fresh macOS will cover it

The I/O board has the sound chip on it. Replace it or the i/o cable. Or get your poo poo fixed at a proper repair shop who will show you where your mountain dew spilled on it.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Okay fine you got it already, but I want to be on record as being right.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

dell 27 gaming monitor looks pretty good

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I’ve got a Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 which looks great

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

https://tftcentral.co.uk/recommendations/tftcentral-recommendations-list-gaming-monitors

https://www.aperturegrille.com/reviews/

https://pcmonitors.info/recommendations/gaming-monitors/

for tailored recommendations check these links, all 3 websites are authored by extremely competent guys. for a generic list of high speed displays for your gpu - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
v helpful ty!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
second noctua for the cpu arrived

"how many fans you got?"

"yes"

gotta order a couple extensions so i can tidy up but we're done for now

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
okay this one has me stumped

i got a sarnsung chomebook that i use as a tv. today i started seeing a bunch (i guess?) of videos with MASSIVE CONSTANT ARTIFACTING and other assorted hardcore MPEG decode errors

specifically it appears that every episode of community and squid game on netflix and the latest episode of a PBS physics youtube show (every quality option, to boot) are affected:

https://twitter.com/odnoyabr/status/1441198843857494017

https://twitter.com/odnoyabr/status/1441193841923481600

but unaffected videos are completely fine. hadn't watched any of these before so idk if this is a new thing on this machine. the limited memory and cpu self-tests on chomeos say everything is fine. the same videos play fine on other machines, and if i youtube-dl the PBS vid and play it from elsewhere, it's fine. problem persists across reboots.

how the gently caress? i'd think some sort of gpu failure would cause issues with everything, not just like 30-50 specific videos

is there some bizarre hardware issue that'd explain this? am i maybe the recipient of some particularly and weirdly borked chome A/B test code?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe the stream uses a different codec from the downloaded video? it's weird, reminds me of when an index would become damaged or an old version of diva codec was used locally, but that wouldn't be the case for bog standard streaming

if it's a damaged system file, you could try and do a full reinstall using the chrome recovery utility. i did that to wipe and reset everything after futzing with a linux partition on one for a few years: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595?hl=en#zippy=%2Cstep-download-a-new-copy-of-the-os

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i just ordered a gigabyte m32u, but they have a 27 or 28 inch version as well. I have to use the 4k on my current 27 at 125% scaling so looking forward to the 32. acer have a screen with the same panel too.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i got a sarnsung chomebook that i use as a tv. today i started seeing a bunch (i guess?) of videos with MASSIVE CONSTANT ARTIFACTING and other assorted hardcore MPEG decode errors

specifically it appears that every episode of community and squid game on netflix and the latest episode of a PBS physics youtube show (every quality option, to boot) are affected:

https://twitter.com/odnoyabr/status/1441198843857494017

https://twitter.com/odnoyabr/status/1441193841923481600

but unaffected videos are completely fine. hadn't watched any of these before so idk if this is a new thing on this machine. the limited memory and cpu self-tests on chomeos say everything is fine. the same videos play fine on other machines, and if i youtube-dl the PBS vid and play it from elsewhere, it's fine. problem persists across reboots.

how the gently caress? i'd think some sort of gpu failure would cause issues with everything, not just like 30-50 specific videos

is there some bizarre hardware issue that'd explain this? am i maybe the recipient of some particularly and weirdly borked chome A/B test code?

stupid idea maybe but can you get any other web browsers on there? maybe the latest version of chrome doin something strange

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

my pixelbook was still on the old version, i was able to watch the pbs spacetime video normally both before and after updating. sorry about your sarnsung

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013
I just had a mobo bite the dust. If I buy the same model will I have to buy a new windows key? I know swapping out a CPU invalidates the hardware specific license, so it seems like the motherboard would do likewise.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Enshoku posted:

I just had a mobo bite the dust. If I buy the same model will I have to buy a new windows key? I know swapping out a CPU invalidates the hardware specific license, so it seems like the motherboard would do likewise.

probably you will have to phone them and have them take care of it, but they should carry over the license. maybe they can do that over whatever chat support thing now. if you don't actually have access to the key i'm not sure but probably they would help you. alternately there is someone selling legit keys on sa mart for not much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

bobbilljim posted:

stupid idea maybe but can you get any other web browsers on there? maybe the latest version of chrome doin something strange

normally i would try this, but on account of it being a chromebook i think the answer is decidedly no

like technically i could compile an ARM version of linux and try to run firefox with that but that is a lot of :effort: for still not really understanding wtf is happening

i already tried the rather silly "well, maybe there's a particular CDN server at my ISP's local dc having a really bad day and corrupting random poo poo on disk" explanation and switched to another ISP because i currently have two, but nope, same poo poo happens with either.

i suppose it could be a bug in the specific GPU used in this model but idk how you even check that. i am not a GPU firmware developer. i do not know the first thing about on-chip video codec instructions