Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

All gear works everywhere.

It probably meant that you can't open that box in a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

adhuin posted:

All gear works everywhere.

It probably meant that you can't open that box in a dungeon.

Yeah that's a message it gives you for any gear coffers, that must be what you saw

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, the code of this game is built on a deck of cards, so they want you on a more stable server when generating those items. Probably not an issue, don't wanna risk it, so just turn that off.

Oh! Probably has something to do with level sync!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kwyndig posted:

You can shave a few tenths of a second off, which doesn't seem like much but over a bunch of casts it adds up. At higher levels you can get your GCD down below 2.5s which is when the real cheese begins.

Also don't forget to take time out at least once a week to do your Gold Saucer Challenge Logs, you'll need MGP to buy the car.

Tortolia posted:

This is the key point here. You have a month to actually reach the level and plot progression to do the FF15 event, but make sure you work on getting MGP from fashion report/the challenge log/etc along the way so if you do get the quests done you don't find yourself unable to actually afford the car and other rewards.

Also while skill and spell speed are good substats up to certain thresholds, don't expect dramatic results at lower levels, and make sure the main weapon priority remains weapon damage/item level.

I've only been to the Gold Saucer once, for one of the events, and I got some MGP from that, but I haven't visited it since, so I don't know the full extent of what you can do there.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Max Wilco posted:

I've only been to the Gold Saucer once, for one of the events, and I got some MGP from that, but I haven't visited it since, so I don't know the full extent of what you can do there.

Someone made a post detailing how to maximize your weekly MGP from the Gold Saucer. Here it is.

Short list of stuff to do: lottery (daily and weekly), minigames, more minigames (GATEs), Triple Triad, Chocobo Racing, Lord of Verminion (minion RTS battles), mahjong, and fashion report. The fashion report can give up to 60k MGP in a single go if the challenge that week is simple enough. There's a Reddit account that figures it out and tells everyone exactly how to maximize the reward for the lowest cost. But if you want to be lazy you always get 10k just for entering.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Onean posted:

Everybody focuses on the Fashion weekly (which is largely correct, don't skip it if you're even the slightest bit interested in getting MGP because it's your highest reward for time spent), but the Challenge Log surprisingly gets glossed over in comparison. If you're really looking to get stuff done, you can get another 73-100k+ every week in just a couple hours. This also doesn't have to be all at once, you can spread the time out across the entire week. (The Challenge Log resets with server reset, so Tuesday morning for those of us on the Americas.)

Added to the OP!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Someone made a post detailing how to maximize your weekly MGP from the Gold Saucer. Here it is.

Short list of stuff to do: lottery (daily and weekly), minigames, more minigames (GATEs), Triple Triad, Chocobo Racing, Lord of Verminion (minion RTS battles), mahjong, and fashion report. The fashion report can give up to 60k MGP in a single go if the challenge that week is simple enough. There's a Reddit account that figures it out and tells everyone exactly how to maximize the reward for the lowest cost. But if you want to be lazy you always get 10k just for entering.

Well, I did the Fashion Challenge and got a rank of 69 with some armor pieces I had. Got the 10,000 from that. I bought some scratch tickets and did the platform jumping game, where I got a few of the trophies (tried doing it again, but I lost connection and got kicked back to the main menu). Tried playing mahjong, but I don't know how to play mahjong, so I just followed the on-screen hints, yet never won a hand. It was taking a long time, so I just withdrew from the match.

It's getting late, so I'll try and do some more tomorrow. How much MGP do you need to get the car? Oh poo poo, you need 200,000 MGP :ohdear:. I'll try to follow that guide Onean made, and hopefully I can get what I need before October 18.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 21, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is it possible to make crafted gear you’ve equipped for a long time to stop “binding”, or nah? Was hoping to put the crafter jewelry I made on the market board to try making some cash back, but they’re greyed out when I try to list them

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If you equipped gear and used it, it is bound to you and you cannot sell it. No way around that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ah well, desynth it is then.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jinnigan posted:

Any guides to healers for me, the guy who's played MMOs but never healed them before? I found one on The Salted or whatever but it's 54 pages long and opens by talking about server ticks

Consider going arcanist, which turns into sch/smn if you are new to the game. I started it as white mage and, while crazy fun, meant I had to separately level up a different DPS class if I wanted to ever take a break from healing. Now I do DPS for the msq and healer through all the dungeons (thus avoiding any queue time). If you start as an arcanist, that is the one job that, at level thirty, can switch between a healer and DPS role that share experience.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, that also means twice the work to keep yourself up to date with abilities across both Jobs, and you can’t even unlock Summoner until you’ve beaten your first Primal as part of the main story.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Selachian posted:

So some jobs (e.g., scholar, paladin) give you one set of level-50 blue gear at level 50 and then a box containing a complete set of level-90 blue gear, with a warning that the second set doesn't work in dungeons and other instanced content. What's the point of this? Do I have to maintain two gear sets and then switch to the lower one before I start a dungeon?

on top of what other people said the ilevel 50 gear is what those quests gave way back in 2.0 and they added the ilevel 90 set later so you have some okay gear as soon as you're level 50

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
One other thing - the ilevel 50 "original" artifact armor sets go in the Armoire for glamour purposes, so you can get those out of ineventory and just use the ilevel 90 upgraded set for equipment.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is it ok to accept every single minor quest and guild that I bump into, then just hide it from the active quests? I would complete or progress some as I naturally run into them, but worried I would hit some kind of limit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I did the Fashion Challenge and got a rank of 69 with some armor pieces I had. Got the 10,000 from that. I bought some scratch tickets and did the platform jumping game, where I got a few of the trophies (tried doing it again, but I lost connection and got kicked back to the main menu). Tried playing mahjong, but I don't know how to play mahjong, so I just followed the on-screen hints, yet never won a hand. It was taking a long time, so I just withdrew from the match.

It's getting late, so I'll try and do some more tomorrow. How much MGP do you need to get the car? Oh poo poo, you need 200,000 MGP :ohdear:. I'll try to follow that guide Onean made, and hopefully I can get what I need before October 18.

you can retry fashion report
look up a guide to get 80 points, it will be cheap to do

thats 50k mgp right there

then do all the golden saucer challenges but racing and mahjong

boom, you now have 200k in 2 weeks

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There is a limit of 30 accepted quests.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Heran Bago posted:

Is it ok to accept every single minor quest and guild that I bump into, then just hide it from the active quests? I would complete or progress some as I naturally run into them, but worried I would hit some kind of limit.

There's a limit of 30 quests at once, so I wouldn't go too crazy unless you're actively trying to clear them.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The other thing about "pick up all the quests" as a strategy is only the objectives for the 5 or so listed in the tracked onscreen quest list provide map markers. So it might be a bit tricky to actually figure out where to go and complete some of them without a lot of fiddling, though you could deselect one when you have finished the objective and slot a different one in its place.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Heran Bago posted:

There's very little point in doing random side quests unless you're really invested in background lore of the area. Only exception I can think of is that each of the three main cities has a short quest to unlock a unique dance emote which is pretty neat.

Other than that if it ain't msq or a blue "unlock quest", I'd recommend ignoring.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Based on general advice given, I've skipped most of ARR side quests.

However since everyone and their mother are praising Heavensward to the high heavens (no pun intended), I've been trying to complete all the side quests in each zone before progressing the MSQ.

However, I did not anticipate that there will be new side quests which keep popping up after a certain amount of MSQ progress has been made.

At this rate, I'll never finish heavensward till 2022 at least... :negative:

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

shoc77 posted:

Based on general advice given, I've skipped most of ARR side quests.

However since everyone and their mother are praising Heavensward to the high heavens (no pun intended), I've been trying to complete all the side quests in each zone before progressing the MSQ.

However, I did not anticipate that there will be new side quests which keep popping up after a certain amount of MSQ progress has been made.

At this rate, I'll never finish heavensward till 2022 at least... :negative:

I'm doing the same thing and it is quite fun! though I'm pretty sure I'll burn out if I try to 100% all of the 6 (?) main Heavensward maps. I already did 2 but I think I'll tap out at 4 if I don't pace myself better.

having a map free of !'s is very satisfying though... and the background lore has been worth my while

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I don't know the exact amount but I made quite a bit of money selling side quest rewards on the market. Probably at least a million gil. If you aren't on a trial it's something to consider on top of the nice little stories some of those chains tell.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, every zone in the expansions will have one or two quest chains that have proper cutscenes with a nice little story running through it. They usually put an aether current on the start of these, so it's easy to find them. A side quest with an image in the description box is usually worth doing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks I'll just ignore them then. Maybe go for ones with an interesting reward. I'm glancing at this list occasionally.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Maybe a dumb question but I'm leveling up my Dragoon and I just hit 50, and I'm a bit confused about some gearing choices. Is item level more important than the actual defensive stats for a DPS class when it comes to armor? I've been leveling a Warrior at the same time so I have some gear that both classes can use - stuff like the Vigil / Aurum armor I've picked up from dungeons. On my Warrior, this gear is inferior in every way to the Augmented Ironworks gear I've been buying with tomes, but on my Dragoon, the defensive stats from this gear are *better* than the Ironworks stuff - but the item level is significantly lower and they don't give me as many useful offensive stats (DH, Crit, etc.)

So which one do I go for? I'm assuming I use the higher ilevel gear since offensive stats should be important than defensive ones for a DPS class and if I'm getting hit a lot something is going wrong, but I just want to make sure. In a few cases the defensive bonuses are pretty significant while the difference in other stats is pretty small.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ilevel trumps everything at all but the very highest level of gear, where there are some edge cases.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Maybe a dumb question but I'm leveling up my Dragoon and I just hit 50, and I'm a bit confused about some gearing choices. Is item level more important than the actual defensive stats for a DPS class when it comes to armor? I've been leveling a Warrior at the same time so I have some gear that both classes can use - stuff like the Vigil / Aurum armor I've picked up from dungeons. On my Warrior, this gear is inferior in every way to the Augmented Ironworks gear I've been buying with tomes, but on my Dragoon, the defensive stats from this gear are *better* than the Ironworks stuff - but the item level is significantly lower and they don't give me as many useful offensive stats (DH, Crit, etc.)

So which one do I go for? I'm assuming I use the higher ilevel gear since offensive stats should be important than defensive ones for a DPS class and if I'm getting hit a lot something is going wrong, but I just want to make sure. In a few cases the defensive bonuses are pretty significant while the difference in other stats is pretty small.

With maybe a few tiny exceptions at level cap, higher ilvl = better. Augmented Ironworks gear is far far better than practically anything you could get from ARR, and won't even be surpassed until a few dungeons into Heavensward.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I have almost completed the spiky leather Aurum Vale set through roulettes and I actually kind of like it.

Looks like I am going to be voluntarily queuing for Aurum Vale.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Higher ilvl is always better when leveling, there are a few exceptions for perfect BiS gear at max level. Also edge cases like using lower level gear that gives special bonuses for Eureka or Bozja, but you're getting synced in those areas anyway.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The 'dragoon can use tank armor' thing goes away after ARR anyway. You're DPS, the defensive stats do not matter.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Go for item level as mentioned. ARR having shared gear between tanks and Dragoons is something that doesn't exist later on at least, so it's not something you'll have to think about moving forward.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, that also means twice the work to keep yourself up to date with abilities across both Jobs, and you can’t even unlock Summoner until you’ve beaten your first Primal as part of the main story.

You can't unlock any job until then. All jobs are locked behind a couple of quests after the primal one. (Sylph Management). No extra requirements for Summoner.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

eonwe posted:

you can retry fashion report
look up a guide to get 80 points, it will be cheap to do

thats 50k mgp right there

then do all the golden saucer challenges but racing and mahjong

boom, you now have 200k in 2 weeks

Only problem might be that (based off that Reddit guide for the Fashion Report that was posted) I haven't gotten to the point where I can get some of the items, like the hakamas or kabutos. There's also some items that are higher level, or require you to have levels in the corresponding trade to make. I also don't have access to the market board, since I'm still on a trial account.

I should be able to get the 80 points this week (with two dyed brown items and Bridesmaid's Sandals, which are for sale in Ul'dah). Next week, though, it might be different. However, the MGP from the other events might make up for that.

EDIT: poo poo, I screwed up. I bought the stuff, but yesterday was the last day for that Fashion Report. I just wasted 6,000g. :negative:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 22, 2021

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Xerophyte posted:

Healing In General
- Always be casting.

Coffee is for casters only!

Thanks for the guide. It's super helpful. I'm still at a stage in dungeons where I can maintain DPS while keeping the tank topped off, but when the poo poo hits the fan I concentrate on the survival part and know that nobody's going to holler because their health bar isn't constantly full up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd say that only like one in every 4-5 weeks of fashion report are the 80 point rewards locked behind high level/later expansion / restrictive job items. They tend to balance it out well, but if it's just a bad week then you can make up the MGP via the log instead.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I heard there's a faster way to level up crafting/gathering in 3.3 content or so; is it worth just grinding through the MSQ until then, and then catching up some of my DoH/DoL jobs (some of which are still near single digits!!), or should I just sit down and power them up one at a time?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well the Restoration needs you to be at least level 20 to benefit from, so I'd say get that out of the way and then get back to the MSQ if you're interested in crafting/gathering. You're always wanting to go an advance the MSQ anyway because that opens new zones for you to gather materials from which lets you construct new recipes.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
also, if you've reached ishgard you can do the temple leves, where if you turn in hq items you can get from 50 to 60 in two leves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I haven't hit that point yet, but the GC turn-ins are pretty lucrative on their own. A single HQ item can get you 2-3 levels all the way up to 50.

Unrelated other newbie question: what's the best way to get tomestones? I'm starting to need to care about gearing alt jobs and the numbers I need versus the rate they seem to come in is pretty rough.