Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

You can make your own, you just can't browse the community library without paying for a sub.

Ah, got it. Well most watch faces people make look like poo poo so nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Really happy with the watch. Had to immediately throw a black band on it though as the off white one does not look great on my off white skin.

My camera makes the white colour face a lot less vibrant for some reason.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently I have 85.5lbs of skeletal muscle. That sounds.... good?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Probably aren't going to find a ton of help here because BP monitoring was never approved for the US and thus isn't available.

Though it is unlocked by the same hack that unlocks ECG with non-Samsung phones so I'd imagine a lot of people will have it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Disappointing to see the weather "complication" still doesn't update unless you force it, like my og galaxy watch. Weather that is 10 hours behind is useless in a place where it can change 20 degrees/40f in a few hours.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't had an issue with that. Did you change the update frequency in the Galaxy Wearable app to the minimum of 1 hour?

I just now literally watched the complication change to a different temp on the AoD.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

I haven't had an issue with that. Did you change the update frequency in the Galaxy Wearable app to the minimum of 1 hour?

I just now literally watched the complication change to a different temp on the AoD.

Where is that option? I can't find it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I reinstalled pujie today, selected one of the preset themes but it keeps switching back to the face builder one the next time I wake after setting the other one :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Where is that option? I can't find it.

Wearable App, Apps, Apps Setting, Weather, Settings

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Wearable App, Apps, Apps Setting, Weather, Settings

Ahh thank you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know where the setting is well because past devices used to default to your moon units and I had to seek it out to change it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

"moon units"

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

I assumed bull3964 is from outside the US and imperial is the default?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BabyFur Denny posted:

I assumed bull3964 is from outside the US and imperial is the default?

No he is a true blue yankee doodle. I am the international man of mystery, moving from Canada to New Zealand to Australia to Canada to Australia.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No he is a true blue yankee doodle. I am the international man of mystery, moving from Canada to New Zealand to Australia to Canada to Australia.

So he is American and doesn't like his own imperial moon units? Idgi

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BabyFur Denny posted:

Im American and use Metric for everything but driving due to signage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BabyFur Denny posted:

No, Galaxy watches used to default to Celsius.

It's called a joke people.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The metric system is no joke.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Another week goes by, another week that my Samsung order gets kicked further down the road.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gen 6 review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WASn5j_Xxk

No real surprises. It runs as fast as the Ticwatch. It gets similar battery life to the Galaxy Watch for and Apple Watch due to battery size. Obviously still WearOS 2 with all the associated warts.

One thing to note though, the charging rings are now injection molded into the backplate so it should hopefully FINALLY solve the issue of the rings coming off.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Well, still having heart rate tracking issues during workouts. Decent number of posts on the Galaxy watch subreddit saying the same, including people who returned it and got a replacement, so I'm probably just going to stick it out and periodically try other apps to see if they work better. Just frustrating because it's not like I need heart rate, gps is infinitely more important to me and that has been perfect, but it's such a dumb thing to have a watch for working out that doesn't do HR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sorry to hear, so far I've had only a handful of isolated momentary gaps of heart rate while recording martial arts workouts and I'm pretty sure those were due to slipping around from sweat or momentary contact breaks while hitting.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

sourdough posted:

Well, still having heart rate tracking issues during workouts. Decent number of posts on the Galaxy watch subreddit saying the same, including people who returned it and got a replacement, so I'm probably just going to stick it out and periodically try other apps to see if they work better. Just frustrating because it's not like I need heart rate, gps is infinitely more important to me and that has been perfect, but it's such a dumb thing to have a watch for working out that doesn't do HR.
This been a thing with Galaxy Watches for ages. Those, and Fitbits. And Mi Trackers, and plenty of other devices. I always loved my GW46 insisting on a HR 130 while I was puking my heart out. Or my Fitbits measuring gently caress-all for the whole run.

This is why I'm puzzled that this loving Apple Watch 6 is so goddamn reliable. As if Apple had the only competent signal processing people. That said, considering how well it appears to track, there's probably some ML poo poo involved. I'd sure love Samsung to figure it out, for whenever I might want to take an exit from iOS.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, I do think most any watch (or thing lol) that you google will have complaints. But I basically haven't had any issues over the years with heart rate across a fitbit, apple watch, a couple wear os watches, and a samsung active 2. The main failing for me was always spotty gps, particularly with the fitbit and apple watch series 1. I do think it's probably software rather than hardware, because continuous tracking looks good, just need to find an alternative to Samsung health that works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I really wonder how much of the Apple stuff is just due to rejection and extrapolation rather than just better data.

I must just have a good wrist shape for Samsung or something because things seem to track pretty darn well for me.

This was the GW3, but still you can see that there was just like 1 minute or so past the 60 minute mark where it lost track of heart rate before recovering on its own and nothing I can see really points to there being any significant outliers (no that speed spike wasn't an outlier, my friends were complaining that I set the pace too fast so I decided to screw with them for a minute or so.)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Continuous heart rate looks good for me, no drops when I look at each hour when I'm just doing normal stuff:

Then my bike ride yesterday lol:

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
I just got my Galaxy Watch 4, gave up on my Samsung preorder and went to the store. Is there a general consensus on screen protectors? I have definitely banged my traditional watch against things in the past...

I ordered this one but am not sure if I want to slap some third party glass on the new watch. Does it decrease screen sensitivity?

https://www.amazon.com/SPGUARD-Protector-Tempered-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B09B1V1JYY

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pedialyte posted:

I have definitely banged my traditional watch against things in the past...
So what makes you think you need to do anything about it?

I'm a clumsy oaf whose wrists are perfectly at doorknob height. My old HWatch here got slammed in to them regularly, on multiple occasions hard enough that I was sure I had broken something.

That's five and a half years of daily use from January 2016 until the GW4 came out, the metal case is all kinds of banged up but the screen is still more or less perfect.

IMNSHO screen "protectors" are the mobile device equivalent of the undercoating at a car dealer. In specific cases it might be useful, but for most people it's at best a waste of money.

It's not 2001 anymore with plastic-screen Palmpilots, glass screens don't scratch unless you're doing dumb poo poo with them.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 20, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm in the same boat with my 5-year-old 2nd generation Moto 360. The metal case is somewhat beat up, but the glass is fine. But of course I got a hairline scratch on my Pixel 5's screen within a month or two, which is like the third screen scratch on a phone I've ever had.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

My Aug 15th Fold 3 pre-order from Google Fi is supposed to finally get here this week - I dawdled for a couple days to check reviews before ordering and that dragged it out by a month and a week on delivery.

Will that Samsung Store pre-order $150 bonus still apply? It better!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My 2014 breitling was used and still flawless. I've bumped it a few times on doorknobs and no marks. Not sure what magic they use but I'm sure it's expensive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My TicWatch E2 seems to be holding in there just fine, and I have a history of being hard on watches. Then again I think I have gotten a little more careful with that over the years.

Last week I did have a day where it was just sucking down battery like nobody's business, and I had an alert on my phone it was "debugging over Bluetooth" or some poo poo, but I think it was a Wear OS update or something because after a couple restarts and a full charge it's been back to reasonable consumption and lasting roughly 2 days per charge. Especially if I remember to set it to batter saver mode overnight, which I often forget.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I got the Galaxy watch 4 in the smaller model. Dunno if the bigger one with the larger battery performs better, but I struggle to make it to the end of the day on one charge. I don't even use the watch much during the day apart from maybe 3-4 hrs of workout tracking on average.

I'm fine with recharging it every night but was hoping I could use it without battery anxiety... 😔

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
after waffling I bought a galaxy watch 4 because I am taking on pagerduty stuff for work and haptic wakeup is a lot nicer than waking my house with my phone, and this responsibility comes with a tech stipend that pays the watch off in a few months so :shrug:

I was happy to see that it looks like all the Samsung health stuff is already fixed for non samsung phones, I will mess with that
https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-ecg-blood-pressure-galaxy-watch-4-with-non-samsung-phones/

BabyFur Denny posted:

I got the Galaxy watch 4 in the smaller model. Dunno if the bigger one with the larger battery performs better, but I struggle to make it to the end of the day on one charge. I don't even use the watch much during the day apart from maybe 3-4 hrs of workout tracking on average.

I'm fine with recharging it every night but was hoping I could use it without battery anxiety... 😔

The smaller one has a 270mh vs 472mah in the big one (I got the big one...) but the screen on the big one drains battery faster so it's only like a 25% longer life, from what I have read. How are you using it? The docs say it should last a lot longer than you're describing with the use you're describing, also

"If you have NFC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and Mobile Hotspot turned on at all times, it will drain battery pretty rapidly." says google.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Krime fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 14, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BabyFur Denny posted:

I have the small non-LTE Classic.

I get two days easy if I don't leave the house (WiFi signal always strong, phone generally nearby) and don't use any of the sensors beyond normal background activity (I do have heart rate on constant).

If I leave the house and make some NFC payments I tend to be in the 20-30% range when going to bed.

If I go biking and have GPS plus all the fitness tracking stuff on I can have it asking me if I want to go to watch only before dinner time.

Krime posted:

Might be a dumb question but can you sync 2 LTE watches to a single phone number? ... So a Classic for daily and a sport for more water based exercise?
That would be carrier-specific. There's no technical reason it couldn't be done, but your carrier would have to be the one to do it.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

"If you have NFC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and Mobile Hotspot turned on at all times, it will drain battery pretty rapidly." says google.
As I now wonder if LTE watches can be used as a mobile hotspot. They have the hardware to do it, will the software allow it to happen?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
44 mm sporty version has great battery. Typically at 50-60% battery left at bedtime, with an hour of biking and always on display.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, no complaints about the battery life on my larger models.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

hooah posted:

I'm in the same boat with my 5-year-old 2nd generation Moto 360. The metal case is somewhat beat up, but the glass is fine. But of course I got a hairline scratch on my Pixel 5's screen within a month or two, which is like the third screen scratch on a phone I've ever had.

Glass displays are generally trying to strike a balance between hardness and shatter resistance. A watch display is small and fully encased in a metal frame so they can double down on the hardness, while the phone display is large and expected to be dropped at least once in its lifetime. Not to mention the long term impact of being squeezed under someone's fat rear end if they keep their phone in their back pocket.

I'm sure every phone manufacturer wants that perfect glass that does everything, but our level of materials science just isn't there yet. At least with watches what we do have is good enough for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amazon has a bundle with a Galaxy Watch 4 and wireless charger for $230 today: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Smartwatch-Monitor-Detection-Bluetooth/dp/B099Y7SPHC