Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Oh sure read the annotated version. Read a book that has extra instructions on how to read it that you also have to read.

You could literally just watch people do it for you. I bet you can find them for free on Youtube. It's the easiest thing in the world to watch a play.

nah that doesn't really make sense buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think there's a facial expression that can properly convey the meaning of a 16th century chamber pot scraper or whatever

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Shakespeare is like the neck tie. Something made popular by nobles who don't know a goddamned thing about anything, and now all of us have to suffer the legacy of their ignorance for the rest of time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm sure the stories you write will be remembered much more fondly, but future goons may need an annotated version to know what poo poo like "vore," "waifu," and "felching" means

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Robobot posted:

Shakespeare is like the neck tie. Something made popular by nobles who don't know a goddamned thing about anything, and now all of us have to suffer the legacy of their ignorance for the rest of time.

Shakespeare endured because he was broadly popular

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Michael Bay is broadly popular.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Robobot posted:

Yeah but that’s a different discussion; Micheal Bay isn’t popular because of the taste of the ruling class, which is what you said of Shakespeare

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robobot posted:

Now I want the opposite of the “modernized Shakespeare adaptation”, where someone turns Pain and Gain into an Elizabethan style Shakespearean tragedy.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah but that’s a different discussion; Micheal Bay isn’t popular because of the taste of the ruling class, which is what you said of Shakespeare

Look buddy, if you're not gonna help me move these goal posts then you can just sit there and wait.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Learning and education are great, but school is irredeemably terrible. The whole system needs to be scrapped and redesigned from the ground up. Start by asking ourselves what we're actually trying to achieve, throw out all preconceptions and figure out the best way to do that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Learning and education are great, but school is irredeemably terrible. The whole system needs to be scrapped and redesigned from the ground up. Start by asking ourselves what we're actually trying to achieve, throw out all preconceptions and figure out the best way to do that.

There are whole rear end disciplines dedicated to that. It’s just nobody with power or money wants to change the way things are.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Right now, two people are writing a recap of the Trump Administration. One is doing Richard III, the other is doing King Lear. They aren't alone in these adaptations, there are millions of people doing similar things. What is unique in their particular case is that they are doing the same play, just from different perspectives.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

It's weird that people read Shakespeare. They're plays, you should see them, not read them.

Yeah, it's one thing to read Hamlet and another to see it performed. Sort of like how there's a difference between watching Alien vs just reading the script.

Robobot posted:

Shakespare was actually really popular with the common folk. One of his most popular plays doesn't get performed that much these days, but when it does there's often a splash zone for the fake blood.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Sep 22, 2021

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I don’t understand why dandelions are considered to be weeds.
-They add colour to lawns
-They are edible
-Their seed floofs are fun to blow into the wind

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brisco County Jr. objectively sucked and only a dumb person (dumb even for a kid, who it was aimed at) could enjoy it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

The Mighty Moltres posted:

-They are edible

Lawns and gardens are status symbols meant to show you have enough money or access to free labour to use it on making a patch of ground look a certain way. Removing things that are useful or beautiful is a part of that norm.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

christmas boots posted:

Shakespare was actually really popular with the common folk. One of his most popular plays doesn't get performed that much these days, but when it does there's often a splash zone for the fake blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Lu_CBRLnM

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the fact that students study Shakespeare mostly in the written format tells you all you need to know about its role in literature education

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Books are for losers anyway. Literature education? What's the point

What we need is videogame education instead

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Zzulu posted:

Books are for losers anyway. Literature education? What's the point

What we need is videogame education instead

Maybe these curriculums shouldn't pretend every medium can be distilled into cramming readings

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shakespeare is good, but he should be saved until kids are a bit older. Nothing is going to turn people away from him more than making 13yr olds go through Julius Caeasr at a rate of 5 pages per week.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm sure the stories you write will be remembered much more fondly, but future goons may need an annotated version to know what poo poo like "vore," "waifu," and "felching" means

You've set a new personal record for managing to turn a completely unrelated conversation to vore.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had a high school English teacher who played (I think it was MacBeth we were studying at the time) audio recordings of the play during class, not because it was important to experience Shakespeare as at least spoken words, but because "we both know you won't read it if I assign it to you" which was either super demeaning or really pragmatic.

Though my funniest Shakespeare high school memory was the time our (very new) 9th grade English teacher showed us the Franco Zefferelli adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. Which has a bit of brief and tasteful nudity. Which the teacher did not know about in advance.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

The Mighty Moltres posted:

-They are edible

yeah dandelions are cool, they're peobably my favourite flower

reasons why dandelions are cool:
-- they're hardy, resilient and self-sufficient; they'll grow anywhere and not give a single gently caress
-- they have that cool gimmick going on where they go all fluffy and you can blow on them and send hundreds of tiny little feathery bits flying around
-- they are entirely unpretentious but surprisingly complex and beautiful if you care to pay attention

in conclusion, dandelions are cool

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

Agreed on all counts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sweevo posted:

Shakespeare is good, but he should be saved until kids are a bit older. Nothing is going to turn people away from him more than making 13yr olds go through Julius Caeasr at a rate of 5 pages per week.

Start them off with Titus Andronicus. It’s hosed up and bloody as hell. It owns

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You think Shakespeare is boring? Well how about some cannibalism

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

christmas boots posted:

You think Shakespeare is boring? Well how about some cannibalism

Another good way to get students interested is to point out that in many ways Shakespeare was the first rapper.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Another good way to get students interested is to point out that in many ways Shakespeare was the first rapper.

Oh, you wanna talk about flow? *puts on baseball cap backwards and A.C. Slaters onto a chair*

Let me tell you about a little MC by the name of Billy Shakespeare. B-Dog, if you will

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Sep 22, 2021

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

B-Shakin'.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Weren't rap battles a thing that happened in like 800ad Scandinavia?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I believe you're thinking about flyting, also featured in the recent Blockbuster game Assasin's Creed: Valhalla by Ubisoft. Take on the role of a viking, Eivor, as they carve a path through medieval Europe and uncover the secrets of an ancient conspiracy that spans millennia.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Well I'm Billy Shakes and I'm here to say
I love writing plays in a major way!
Gonna break it down, but don't start to teeter
You gotta be down with iambic pentameter!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

christmas boots posted:

I believe you're thinking about flyting, also featured in the recent Blockbuster game Assasin's Creed: Valhalla by Ubisoft. Take on the role of a viking, Eivor, as they carve a path through medieval Europe and uncover the secrets of an ancient conspiracy that spans millennia.

PHUO: I kind of hoped that game would touch on the three centuries of massacres and officially sanctioned sex slavery but it turns out video games bad as always

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eivor didn't live 300 years. You're thinking of Kassandra, the Greek mercenary.

How embarrassing for you.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: I kind of hoped that game would touch on the three centuries of massacres and officially sanctioned sex slavery but it turns out video games bad as always

thats a weird thing to hope would happen in the twelfth entry in a series of sanitized action adventure games

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aphrodite posted:

Eivor didn't live 300 years. You're thinking of Kassandra, the Greek mercenary.

How embarrassing for you.

No idea who that is. Sounds a lot like Alexios though :agesilaus:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts posted:

thats a weird thing to hope would happen in the twelfth entry in a series of sanitized action adventure games

I just mean like in the third one they didn't shy away from what was going on in the US, which was the right thing to do

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You murdered my people, George Washington. Our friendship is over and I will never forgive you, now let's play Bocce.

Ben Franklin goes on a (historically accurate!) rant about MILFs though, which is kind of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
October is for horror movies. They shouldn't release movies that aren't horror movie in October.