Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

all of the econony numbers are fake. they all are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Give us the word. Renters are ready.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1440627165360386066?s=21

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, the local governmental finance vehicle total assets are 55 trillion renminbi (8 trillion usd). that's a nice big turgid number, much bigger than the puny 300 billion

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

We fuckin wish!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FizFashizzle posted:

Stand back and stand by!!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rents are actually finer than you think in the prc (not, like, actually fine) because peeps went so hard on the loans they didnt give a poo poo about cashflow. lowest rental yields in the world are a buncha t1 prc cities

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Marzzle posted:

prison labor is already tapped out but maybe they could expand it to more violent and uncontrollable inmates

the amount of people taken out of the labor force by death or permanent injury (the latter very estimated since we basically aren't tracking it) from covid exceeds the entire us prison population, even without accounting for how the us prison system population is itself being slaughtered and crippled at rates so high states like texas and new york have (at different times) felt compelled to stop tracking so they don't look bad

there's only so much blood

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

atelier morgan posted:

:mods:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's blood

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

atelier morgan posted:

the amount of people taken out of the labor force by death or permanent injury (the latter very estimated since we basically aren't tracking it) from covid exceeds the entire us prison population, even without accounting for how the us prison system population is itself being slaughtered and crippled at rates so high states like texas and new york have (at different times) felt compelled to stop tracking so they don't look bad

I think prisons are gonna run out of guards first before inmates to covid

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
so like money printer go brrrr right? so where does this money go exactly? how do corps access this money? can we incorporate cspam and get some money?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Has this pattern of massive "labor shortages" ever happened here before? Have there ever been a massive number of jobs that just haven't gone filled for such a long time?

Black Plague in Europe. civil wars in general.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

I think prisons are gonna run out of guards first before inmates to covid

oh definitely, just saying that inmates can't possibly patch the hole covid has blown in the labor force

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

atelier morgan posted:

oh definitely, just saying that inmates can't possibly patch the hole covid has blown in the labor force

11.1 million people in America have long covid, thank god we have the worlds best medical system so they can receive the care that they need to recover and get back into the labor force. You simply don't see these efficiencies in nations like France.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Good thing our economy doesn't operate on the labor theory of value or acknowledge materialist analysis or else this could be interpreted as a pretty grim omen!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
idk why everyone's complaining, futures are green

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's still funny to me that 19th century economists had such a visceral reaction to marx and the LTV they disavowed that part of smith and ricardo and came up with something else

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cold on a Cob posted:

idk why everyone's complaining, futures are green

:mods:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

the mods are powerless in the face of NUMBER, as are we all

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

it's still funny to me that 19th century economists had such a visceral reaction to marx and the LTV they disavowed that part of smith and ricardo and came up with something else

I think a lot at the time was they loathed Marx for putting a name to capitalism and explaining its history and creating an analytical tool that can be used to demystify it, as the goal had been to make it a civic religion that's just sort of something nobody even thinks to consider an alternative to (they did this eventually). They hated Smith and Ricardo not just because Marx respected and agreed with them on some stuff, but also because they were basically Maoists when it came to rent seekers and landlords, so for the post-industrial financialization phase of the whole thing they had to go and were replaced by a bunch of lunatics and cranks until the Austrians and Chicago School captured enough institutions of press and finance to start manufacturing legitimacy more broadly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s really amazing how much of the top of the economy is made up nonsense to make a few people richer

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Koirhor posted:

so like money printer go brrrr right? so where does this money go exactly? how do corps access this money? can we incorporate cspam and get some money?

as long as you and i still think 1 dollar now = 1 dollar tomorrow not 0.5 dollar things will be fine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The people making decisions are just worried about quarterly numbers lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/kyleneubeck/status/1440655442225479699?s=21

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

as long as you and i still think 1 dollar now = 1 dollar tomorrow not 0.5 dollar things will be fine

It's literally printed on the bill, dummy. One Dollar = One Dollar.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Cold on a Cob posted:

I can do all things through NUMBER, which strengthens me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wrong thread

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's true.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Amazing to watch industry being so unaccustomed to market competition for labor that they don't know what to do besides mumbling nobody wants to work anymore and shut down

I guess that's what happens when everyone tries to staff up at once

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Amazon pushing for legal weed.

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-is-lobbying-the-u-s-to-legalize-weed-1847719317

I want weed legalized, but not because Bezos can't get workers. Let's just legalize it to piss off all the Nancy Reagan types. And because it's the right thing to do.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

atelier morgan posted:

the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's blood

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Amazon pushing for legal weed.

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-is-lobbying-the-u-s-to-legalize-weed-1847719317

I want weed legalized, but not because Bezos can't get workers. Let's just legalize it to piss off all the Nancy Reagan types. And because it's the right thing to do.

Lmao if the reason the US finally legalizes weed is that Amazon ran out of people to send to Warehouse Hell

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

gently caress u number. Idgaf if you're tired. You think you're tired? I was so happy to see blood yesterday, didn't think we'd do it. Rise and shine number and try again.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Number is always up

Never down

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

McNugget Buddy posted:

Federal work requirements for Medicaid and other welfare programs would happen first

federal work requirements wouldn’t be so bad if there was a federal jobs program besides prison

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

wolfs posted:

federal work requirements wouldn’t be so bad if there was a federal jobs program besides prison

The military.

But it has its' own welfare and medical program with the VA.

May whatever god you believe in help you if you find yourself loving up bad enough to get any discharge besides honorable, though.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
It's really something that rents are higher than mortgages yet the house prices are such that many renters cannot save enough for the down payment. Landlords don't want to leave that money on the table and raise rates accordingly to retain their lock on the market.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rip Testes posted:

It's really something that rents are higher than mortgages yet the house prices are such that many renters cannot save enough for the down payment afford rent. Landlords don't want to leave that money on the table and raise rates accordingly to retain their lock on the market.
ftfy
Who the hell is renting all these places that are going for double what they were 2 years ago? How is it that homelessness is on the rise, rents are double, and yet there are still no vacancies as more and more people sublet just to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

eSporks posted:

ftfy
Who the hell is renting all these places that are going for double what they were 2 years ago? How is it that homelessness is on the rise, rents are double, and yet there are still no vacancies as more and more people sublet just to survive.

Most people aren't homeless and everyone needs a place to live. Rent is "unaffordable" in the sense that a lot of people need to accept rents they can't afford. Homes are unaffordable in the sense that lots of people can't really get approved for a mortgage at all or, if they can, can't buy a house that wouldn't immediately drive them broke.

There's really no practical upper bound on rents because a majority of people will do absolutely anything to avoid being homeless, and you have no alternative if you literally can't buy a house.