Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

THE ULTIMATE N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Eat your spinach, BSS!

from Popeye v01 - Olive Oyl and Her Sweety (compilation released in 2021)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

hell yeah non-binary legend Popeye
https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1415775114004676614?s=20

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

X-Force #2 in all its Liefeldian glory

Lol he gets less detailed the further down you go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Eat your spinach, BSS!

All this because of a decimal point in the wrong place.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All this because of a decimal point in the wrong place.

The decimal point thing is actually a myth.

quote:

As recently as 2013 the Daily Mail online, quoting a ‘book by mathematician and scientist Samuel Arbesman’, was running a story about this misplaced decimal point, just like I had believed to be the case. However further digging suggests that the misplaced decimal point story is a myth that was created in 1972 by nutritionist Professor Arnold E. Bender in his inaugural lecture at Queen Elizabeth College, University of London. This was then reinforced in an article in 1981 in the British Medical Journal.

According to the work of Mike Sutton in 2010, the original error was not due to a misplaced decimal point, but more likely the result of bad scientific practice including specimen contamination, and the use of charcoal in heating [while measuring the iron contents of spinach]. Furthermore, Sutton claims that Popeye wasn’t eating the spinach for its iron content anyway, but for its Vitamin A content, or at least he was according to his creator, E.C. Segar. And you’d imagine he’d know. Vitamin A is important for growth and development, so would help to keep Popeye strong!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beerdeer posted:

X-Force #2 in all its Liefeldian glory

Petite feet, feminine step.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #3 (1942)

Not Brand Echh #14 (2017)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Darthemed posted:

Sensation Comics #3 (1942)

The...Hitler cure?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The...Hitler cure?

It only works once.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Your history textbook skipped over when Hitler was forced into sorority hazing rituals?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The...Hitler cure?

Art school full scholarship, but looks like Eve's gonna have to earn it the hard way.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Kalli posted:

Art school full scholarship, but looks like Eve's gonna have to earn it the hard way.

Just think, if that entrance exam had gone differently we might be looking at Hitlers in European art galleries, oohing and aahing over the artful use of light and space, and then looking him up on wikipedia and getting very disappointed when we reached the 'personal life' section. Like Degas. And instead, the third reich would have been lead by, oh, I don't know, an architecture school dropout Le Corbusier.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's a "taking a bullet in the bunker" euphemism there but I feel dirty making it. And not the good kind of dirty.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red Bones posted:

Just think, if that entrance exam had gone differently we might be looking at Hitlers in European art galleries, oohing and aahing over the artful use of light and space, and then looking him up on wikipedia and getting very disappointed when we reached the 'personal life' section. Like Degas. And instead, the third reich would have been lead by, oh, I don't know, an architecture school dropout Le Corbusier.

Albert Speer designs the UN building

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

There's a "taking a bullet in the bunker" euphemism there but I feel dirty making it. And not the good kind of dirty.

The comic also came out 3 years before that happened.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Infinitum posted:

A lesser mind you say

When was this? Because it feels like the most mid-2000s thing ever.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Red Bones posted:

Holy poo poo no, the Nazis would have won for sure then

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nah, the Nazi's incompetence was pretty much top down. A lot of their proposals for counter attack after they hosed up Russia just plain wouldn't work, and even if they had prepared for Russian Winter, it was a particularly harsh winter. A different Furher would have resulted in more of Europe being under Moscow's control, that's it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perfect Male Sex Mother would be a great username or band name.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Flying Witch

tl;dr: Makoto is a dark witch (which isn't a bad thing, she's just a witch who's naturally skilled in shadow magic); she lives in Aomori with some relatives, but she's currently visiting her parents in Kanagawa.

A skeleton comes to her house in Aomori looking for her, and her relatives video-call her so the skeleton can explain the situation.

(Read right to left.)

Then Makoto and her friends do some magic to open a really tiny portal between the two houses, and deliver a tear:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 22, 2021

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I wish that the Flying Witch anime had continued on to cover that. :3:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I think it's weird how people still believe that becoming dictator and committing genocide was Hitler's plan b in case art school didn't work out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #18 (1942)

You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation! (2009) (reprint)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #18 (1943)

Booster Gold #10 (2008)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Blue Beetle #18 (1943)

The little corn salesman loves to eat the knuckles

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Assassination Classrom - Chapter 145

Darthemed posted:

Blue Beetle #18 (1943)

15 bucks, little man
Put that poo poo, in my hand
If that money, doesn't show
Then you owe me, owe me, owe.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Man #7 (2021)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pastry of the Year posted:

Iron Man #7 (2021)

Who’s the frog man? They look like a pc from FFXIV

Also: lol at trying to say that a person is just their biology in a setting where magic and the soul exists

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BBBBBRRRRRICK FROG!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

thetoughestbean posted:

Also: lol at trying to say that a person is just their biology in a setting where magic and the soul exists

He is in fact Frog Man.

The big about action figures is untrue though, he has multiple action figures.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's the hero we deserve!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Still not as cool as Kite Man. Kite Man! Hell yeah!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

He's the hero we deserve!

Frog Man can speak ASL, which makes him really quite valuable on Iron Man's team, since he's the only one who can talk to Halcyon. Who in his own way is pretty drat awesome, his power being that he's permanently calm and unflustered.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DigitalRaven posted:

Frog Man can speak ASL, which makes him really quite valuable on Iron Man's team, since he's the only one who can talk to Halcyon. Who in his own way is pretty drat awesome, his power being that he's permanently calm and unflustered.
Can he draxx them sklounst?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

thetoughestbean posted:

It's something you get a often in shared Universes.
Some writer comes along to lay some hard truths about how you have to deal with the world as it is, and not rely on faith or things outside the real world.
And it's probably well intentioned and it's because the writer may have come from some hardcore Christian background.

But in the comic world it just leads to situations where Mr. Terrific's origin story is being inspired to become a superhero after the Wrath of God told him a literal ghost story (with added ghosts) and the net takeaway he gets is "there is no such thing as souls. Also get a baller leather jacket that says Fair Play."

Or Mr. Fantastic telling his kids that there is no afterlife.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

It's something you get a often in shared Universes.
Some writer comes along to lay some hard truths about how you have to deal with the world as it is, and not rely on faith or things outside the real world.
And it's probably well intentioned and it's because the writer may have come from some hardcore Christian background.

But in the comic world it just leads to situations where Mr. Terrific's origin story is being inspired to become a superhero after the Wrath of God told him a literal ghost story (with added ghosts) and the net takeaway he gets is "there is no such thing as souls. Also get a baller leather jacket that says Fair Play."

Or Mr. Fantastic telling his kids that there is no afterlife.

Mr Fantastic has met God.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

kdrudy posted:

Mr Fantastic has met God.

It would be incredibly on-brand for Reed Richards to walk out of a direct, face-to-face meeting with God and already be trying to talk himself into a purely scientific explanation for what he'd just seen and done.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Saoshyant posted:

Eat your spinach, BSS!

Gamera may be friend to all children, but Popeye is fren to chil'ren!

Wanderer posted:

It would be incredibly on-brand for Reed Richards to walk out of a direct, face-to-face meeting with God and already be trying to talk himself into a purely scientific explanation for what he'd just seen and done.

Yeah, Reed was almost certainly telling himself that he was merely in some sort of otherdimensional space that houses dead people's consciousnesses or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

He also previously met that god and refused him admission to his wedding and that god was threatened by doctor doom, and said god helped set a trap for the fantastic four.