Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Native was actually targeted by Stain for having a racist costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

Native was actually targeted by Stain for having a racist costume

Seriously what Quirk did he have that let him think that dressing up as a Native American would work.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Funky Valentine posted:

Seriously what Quirk did he have that let him think that dressing up as a Native American would work.

The same one as Rachel Dolezal?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Quirk: Bad Halloween

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Totally forgot that we never found out what Native's quirk was. Probably because there's nothing he could have that would justify that costume.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Quirk: Star Trek Consulting Aptitude

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Native's quirk was basically the same as that streaker Hawks took out that one time. Except instead of getting more powerful the more embarrassed he was, he got more powerful the more uncomfortable he made everyone else.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Native's hero agency was staffed entirely by heroes that are tributes to those ethnic stereotype superheroes from Superfriends. He's Apache Chief.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

Maybe his superpower is cultural appropriation.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Leave it to All Might's biggest fan to snap him out of his funk. :allears:

Honestly, I really want to crack a joke about Stain being the superhero equivalent of those idol fans, but I can't get it quite right.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Sta(i)n

Also what if Native is actually an native american immigrant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyte posted:

Sta(i)n

Also what if Native is actually an native american immigrant.
It still wouldn't have been great but if he'd been along the lines of Warpath and Thunderbird on X-Men, explicitly, I imagine the grimace level would be much lower.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I choose to believe that Native was targeted because Stain went out of his way to kill cultural appropriators too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ironically this means Iida was right not to save him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Maybe Native was Ainu?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ainu do not dress like indigenous Americans, no.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Had Native lived he would've been forced to rename by his agency to WASHINGTON FOOTBALL MAN.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Ainu do not dress like indigenous Americans, no.

Well I mean he is Ainu and decided to base his costume on the Indigenous Americans.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well I mean he is Ainu and decided to base his costume on the Indigenous Americans.

Yeah but why tho.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's way easier to just go "The imagery has a general association in Japan that is not the same as it is in the US and sometimes gets used without realizing the loaded context behind it" like all the other times it comes up than try to justify why it's different.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Native is just really into Speed Ball Run and Sandman is his favorite character.

Goodguy Stain just recognised a fellow superfan and wanted to hang out, when the villain Ingenium attacked him mostly unprovoked.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Native just really dug Disco. He's part of a small agency that has Cementoss, a cop hero (lol fantasy series), a leather daddy hero (Midnight exists why not), and Selki.

They're the Township Folk.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Maybe his superpower is cultural appropriation.
Name: Johnny Depp
Quirk: 1/16th Native American

Unrelated to anything, how did the anime do with Sad Man's Parade? I don't feel like catching up just to potentially be disappointed by that, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's way easier to just go "The imagery has a general association in Japan that is not the same as it is in the US and sometimes gets used without realizing the loaded context behind it" like all the other times it comes up than try to justify why it's different.

I'm reminded of Bravely Second having a Native American job that was censored internationally into being a cowboy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm reminded of Bravely Second having a Native American job that was censored internationally into being a cowboy.

That owned though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Native American's getting replaced by cowboys is one of the core problems in the first place.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shaman King but its Cowboy King

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

girl dick energy posted:

Unrelated to anything, how did the anime do with Sad Man's Parade? I don't feel like catching up just to potentially be disappointed by that, too.

It was ok. A little bit slideshow-y but I feel that's understandable given the number of Twices, and it was nowhere near as bad as that Mirio scene.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I appreciate the anime for drawing more attention to Terminator Thumbs Up Twice.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://onepiecechapters.com/tcb/chapter/my-hero-academia-chapter-327/

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He finally took a bath. :unsmith:

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Looks like the bath took him.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

All Might hanging outside like a ghost while people were talking about him was hilarious

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New Vigilantes is up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FUCKIN' A