Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been thinking about how Deegan and Kevin and Kell (of newspaper comics fame) stack up. Both of them have a long history of poo poo just thrown at their respective worlds by the authors and its just gets added to the pile that forms the world's lore.

Its kind of funny that the fantasy world one ended up stupid and boring while the fuzzy animal one turns into a horrific nightmare existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Beelzebufo posted:

I also hate how these women's insecurities manifests in spite of their obvious competence. The clutzy girl with insecurities may be a cliché, but I prefer it to these women who are amazing sorcerors or battle hardened assassins, but explode out in tears and teenaged angst as soon as Dominic is around.

Yeah, it makes me think of Joss Whedon's women. It seems to me that (with the possible exception of Miranda so far?) women in Dominic Deegan are just victims with varying degrees of competence. When push comes to shove and they see the truth, they all can do nothing more than cower and weep before their speedo attired seerperhero.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like how even with his godawful art, the woman hobgoblin has the Hawkeye pose.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Billy Gnosis posted:

Reminder he was big into claiming that the Doom guy is a paladin to anyone who would listen. Because obviously, he kills demons. That makes him a good paladin.
Rage elemental powered by demon energy who's too angry to be corrupted by it is a paladin.

Sure. Okay, Mookie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly I think the real stupidity is the D&D alignment system and nerds trying to make everything and everyone conform to it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh I don't know what alignment the Doom Slayer is, but he's not a Paladin.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
He's very clearly a Barbarian.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly I think the real stupidity is the D&D alignment system and nerds trying to make everything and everyone conform to it.

Oh goodness, yes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

given that ink witch and arudak still haven't been shown on screen, i assume they got sick of snout's shenanigans and yeeted out the window and this is the aftermath

corpsemom also is a character, who exists,

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Mx. posted:

not convinced

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mx. posted:

Oh yeah, what's her name then?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's so loving funny that the ship is crashing and yet the reality of there being three other people on the ship with him isn't acknowledged at all.

It's too bad he wasn't paying attention to anyone else or he might have seen what lead up to this situation.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Canada :colbert:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mordja posted:

For a second I almost wanted to edit that Bill Leak cartoon, but nah.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Twelve by Pies posted:

For a second I almost wanted to edit that Bill Leak cartoon, but nah.

rest in piss

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Riot Bus posted:

It's so loving funny that the ship is crashing and yet the reality of there being three other people on the ship with him isn't acknowledged at all.

It's too bad he wasn't paying attention to anyone else or he might have seen what lead up to this situation.

Don't worry, we will get a very detailed written explanation in like 3 or 4 pages, maybe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mx. posted:

given that ink witch and arudak still haven't been shown on screen, i assume they got sick of snout's shenanigans and yeeted out the window and this is the aftermath

Oh good everyone's dead.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Mookie seriously forgot there were other people in the inkship. Goddamn I love this comic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
We will see a diary entry where Snout writes about how the ship has crashed and he's somehow okay. The implication is that instead of looking for his friends and seeing if they're in need of medical attention or in danger from where they were thrown, that he ignored them and sat down to write in his diary.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the ink plane crashed with no survivors, like in MASH.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
R.I.P. inkship, you never got a name either.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I think that'll just be how I. W. lands ships.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I think that'll just be how I. W. lands ships.

Magic is more gentle now, that's why the magical ship can only land by violently crashing into the ground like a meteor.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Snout's dead. :toot:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Magic is more gentle now, that's why the magical ship can only land by violently crashing into the ground like a meteor.

Mookie is allergic to drama and tension, and to putting his characters in danger. This is 100% just how the Inkship lands.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Ague Proof posted:

Snout's dead. :toot:

Lol imagine of that actually happened though, Mookie Just kills him in a crash with a post "This is actually really boring and dumb, dunno why I'm wasting my time"

I'd sign up to his Patreon if he did that

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My money's on "Snout drifted off to sleep and this is another dream sequence" tbh. Mookie doesn't usually do the panel border interactions in normal space, and the panel border in panel 1 was cracking up. I guess it could be just showing the ink ship cracking, but I'm going with dream sequence that's prophetic, he tries to warn the others but they don't believe him because prophecy is dead, then they start to crash for real but are prepared because of Snout's dream.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're inferring a degree of consistency to Mookie's intent that I'm not sure is warranted.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
lmao holy poo poo

Mookie posted:

The Boredom was the Point.
This chapter, The Long Flight, comes to an end on Friday. It was a relatively short chapter in comparison to the ones that came before it, but it certainly felt longer. This chapter had an interesting development for me, and despite its length (real or perceived) and complete lack of story momentum, it became one of the more memorable experiences I’ve had as a comic creator.

The Long Flight started as a filler chapter. I was headed into what I called my “Gauntlet Week,” with DragonCon and ConnectiCon on subsequent weekends, and my son’s first week of school between them. I knew I was going to be exhausted and unmotivated, so I needed some quick comics to make to build my buffer. The Long Flight was originally going to be nothing but a series of landscapes. They’re not only fast for me to make, but relaxing. But as I looked them over, they began to miss something, and that something was Snout.

The entirety of The Legacy of Dominic Deegan is from his perspective, and even when I slow things down with big landscapes, he’s always there among the scenery, taking us along on his journey. To have him unseen felt wrong and off, so I added his perspective, and in doing that I came up with an experiment:

Could I make Snout’s boredom engaging? Could I accurately capture the sensation of waiting without the pages themselves being boring? It’s a difficult line to walk, as I quickly discovered. I constantly asked myself, “Is this too slow?” or “Am I ruining my story’s momentum?” or “Have I made a mistake doing this?” And in asking myself those questions I realized I was keeping with my purpose of making The Legacy: challenging myself as a comic creator in ways outside my comfort zone.

What started as a need to fill my buffer of comics turned into an experiment I’m ultimately quite proud of. Whether or not it was actually any good is up to you, the reader, but I can say with confidence I’m happy with how it turned out.

And don’t worry, things will pick up again once the new chapter begins next week.

What do ya even say.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

What a pretentious fuckwit.

"I made it boring on purpose, I'm so clever!" I mean, it's still boring, though.

E: it's possible to depict boredom without actually being boring, and that would be an achievement, but no, mr. big brain over here decided he would purposely make a boring comic and then gloat about it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's not "getting outside your comfort zone" if you literally chose to do it because it was easier. He literally says the landscapes are quick and relaxing to draw, and then he decided to add Snout, removing any sort of uniqueness or novelty pure landscapes would have and just making it like the rest of the comic. And that's not even taking into account how many Snout images were reused - I'd say this was squarely inside his comfort zone, and the only "experiment" was on the reader's patience.

He should have just taken a week or two off. It's not like this comic's release scheduled is connected to his Patreon...!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

TheHan posted:

lmao holy poo poo

What do ya even say.

He is a living parody of pretentious web artists

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Still loving that at no point does Mookie or Snout ever think of the possibility of interacting with the people nearby who are theoretically his friends.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

God I'm so mad I'm going to come back and comment again.

Goons: "This comic is so boring."

Mookie, an intellectual: "Ah, you fools, you imbeciles, you simpletons!! You've fallen for one of the classic blunders!! You see, I made it boring on purpose!!!!!"

Author's intent only goes so far, but the author's intent was to be boring ON PURPOSE so that you, the reader, are ALSO BORED, and he thought this would be good and compelling fiction.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Boredom Is the Point

Mookie and his supporters find community by rejoicing in the suffering of those they hate and fear.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Often I ask myself "Am I loving this up? Is this a bad story? Is my laziness blatant and shameless to the world?" then I push those thoughts deep, deep down and keep rocking on.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I also like how the blog is titled "The boredom is the point" and then he goes on to say he feels like he succeeded in not making it boring.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Happy Landfill posted:

He'll come out and say, "I wanted the readers to experience the same boredom and monotony as Snout" :downs:

Haha, so what do I win?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No one wins in the Deegan thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick › Dominic Deegan: The Boredom was the Point