Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

source oyu re quotes

Source: my bored of 2d platformers rear end (but still i’d drink up tropical freeze 2: tundra down under and still be thirsty for more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Sakurai is a fighting game fan and you can absolutely tell with the level of effort and detail he puts into characters like Terry and Kazuya.
Like, poo poo posting aside, I think the effort and presentation for them is really cool, and I'm, glad they exist for people who enjoy them, but they just don't do anything for me. Like all of fighter pass 2 has just not been exciting for me, and it just kinda bums me out because I want to be as excited as some people are / as excited as I was for past reveals.

Like, at this point I'm more excited for that Nickelodeon platform fighter then I am for more smash, if only because it's something fresh, and done by the people who made Slap City, which I found to be a ton of fun.

e: re: 2d/3d platformers: A fresh take on a Donkey Kong 3D platformer could be super cool.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thahts epic. tell me more about what you dont like

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Direct announcements leaked:
Metroid Prime Trilogy (release at end of direct)
Metroid Prime 4 releases December
Wind Waker HD
Nintendo Switch Pro
Golf Story 2

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

thahts epic. tell me more about what you dont like
your avatar, it needs to chill out

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’d really love a Donkey Kong 64 done right. The collectathon renaissance can’t stop now

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Donkey Kong odyssey

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

a Diddy Kong Racing reboot called Honky Kong. it's set in New Donk City.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hedrigall posted:

Donkey Kong odyssey

It'd be a crossover, with the New Donk City celebration being a shared experience. Everything else would be different.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They did say there would be botw2 news before the end if the year didn't they?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

They did say there would be botw2 news before the end if the year didn't they?

yeah the news is it's delayed to 2025

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Why stick with wheels when you could have hover technology
the concept of a 3d platformer is not inherently better than the concept of a 2d platformer. there are some dire, dire, dire 3d platformers and they present challenges that, when not executed well, create a worse experience than the worst 2D platformer could offer (a fixed, broken camera for example)

you'll also find people that only swear by one style of 3D level design, see the fight between nerds over Mario 3D World vs Mario Odyssey, which I've now just restarted by even mentioning it, guaranteed

as a fan of all kinds of platformers I don't get the arguments. Psychonauts 2 and Recompile are my top 10 this year, but so is Flynn: Son of Crimson currently.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Oxyclean posted:

then what are fighting games characters doing in it?

By this logic Smash is a metroidvania, because Samus is in it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The 7th Guest posted:

the concept of a 3d platformer is not inherently better than the concept of a 2d platformer. there are some dire, dire, dire 3d platformers and they present challenges that, when not executed well, create a worse experience than the worst 2D platformer could offer (a fixed, broken camera for example)

you'll also find people that only swear by one style of 3D level design, see the fight between nerds over Mario 3D World vs Mario Odyssey, which I've now just restarted by even mentioning it, guaranteed

as a fan of all kinds of platformers I don't get the arguments. Psychonauts 2 and Recompile are my top 10 this year, but so is Flynn: Son of Crimson currently.

I want to go to different corners of the level and find a different doo dad that I need to add to my totals screen and rinse repeat across 8-12 worlds diverse in theme and platforming challenges please

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

By this logic Smash is a metroidvania, because Samus is in it.

smash is a metroidvania, see: brawl

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

Excited only if it’s 3D tbh, I’m so sick of 2d/2.5d platformers

Even a tropical freeze sequel would slightly disappoint me, although I’d still be very hyped for any donk at all

I just don’t think anything new can be done with 2d platformers anymore (and yes I played ori, it was ok)

You are like the exact opposite of me. 2D platformers are my favorite and the DKCR games are like some of my favorite games of all time. Also Ori. And Celeste. And Shovel Knight. The rumors about the new DK game being more like DK64 are horrifying to me

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

we are def seeing that new controller tomorrow because the patent gets fully revealed or some poo poo by the us govt on friday (some law thing i dunno)
As poo poo as the U.S. patent system is, it's not so poo poo that it issues patents and then keeps it secret from everyone. We've got enough problems without needing to add lawsuits for patent infringement when the alleged infringing party couldn't possibly be aware of the existing patent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah the news is it's delayed to 2025

Still expecting it to be delayed until the next Nintendo console.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DK64 broke me of the habit of 100% every game I played and for that I’m thankful. Hopefully a new 3D DK game could do the same for a new generation

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
f zero rammers: double thrust

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I want to go to different corners of the level and find a different doo dad that I need to add to my totals screen and rinse repeat across 8-12 worlds diverse in theme and platforming challenges please

there was a 3d platformers "direct" a few days ago that may interest you

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sudden Javelin posted:

falcon punch my butt hole

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The only side scrollers I need in my life in the next 12 months are silksong and dread, for everything else please let me move along an extra axis, as a treat

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Looper posted:

there was a 3d platformers "direct" a few days ago that may interest you

There was? :o

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

There was? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F95nkQUZ-Xw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

next 12 months

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sudden Javelin posted:

It'll be a mobile card game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

I want to go to different corners of the level and find a different doo dad that I need to add to my totals screen and rinse repeat across 8-12 worlds please
I like doing that too, but that in and of itself is not reinvented, it's game design and structure from the 90s

Having seen a lot of indie 3d platformers (and just finishing Blue Fire this past week which was a solid 7.5 out of 10 game), 3D platformers are ridiculously difficult to make and execute well, from the feeling of the jumps and landings, to the rest of the moveset, to the level design, to the world design, aesthetic congruence, coding a reliable camera, etc. There was an indie 3D Platformer Direct this week, and if you were to have one 3-6 months from now, you'd probably see 15-20 completely different games in there, because many indies start 3D platformer projects, and only a handful actually reach the finish line, and then only a fraction of that handful are actually decent

There being such a huge gap between Galaxy 2 and Odyssey, it's obviously something that EAD likes to take their time doing and no doubt goes through months and months of iteration and internal playtesting. That's why it doesn't surprise me that we see more 2D/2.5D platformers from Nintendo than 3D.

e: ah the direct was mentioned while I typed this up. there's some interesting stuff in there, but the most interesting stuff are the games with actual release windows (Sephonie) or which have already come out, like Gylph and Super Sami Roll.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dixie Kong’s Double Bypass

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’m hoping they’re dropping Outer Wilds and Blade Runner.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
we're getting donkey kong 64 on the nintendo switch and you can quote this post when i'm right

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The next Smash fighter will be Gex or Aero the Acrobat

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
the next fighter will be raz from psychonauts

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Waffle! posted:

The next Smash fighter will be Gex or Aero the Acrobat

Chunky Kong confirmed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I forgot about Sports Story and now I need to play Sports Story

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Let it be Kain from Blood Omen, so the Belmonts have a vampire to fight.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the smash fighters i am invested in appearing:

1) don-chan
2) the Astral Twins
3)

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Macaluso posted:

A good starting point would be to remove one of the Links. Then remove all of them.

on the contrary they should remove every non-Link character and add 32 new variations of Links

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just let the next smash character be the one person we've all been hoping it was, deep down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

The final fighter is a Game Boy Advance SP