Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's me, I hate cars. I drive my car maybe once a week on average. I walk, bike, or take the bus otherwise. And I don't even live in a real city.

We need an urbanism thread too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's me, I hate cars. I drive my car maybe once a week on average. I walk, bike, or take the bus otherwise. And I don't even live in a real city.

urbanism is just sparkling car hatred, post it itt

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

i agree. urbanism and cars are only linked due to politics and industrial bribery (aka politics). they are not inextricably linked and cars/motor vehicles can exist in a world based around very dense urban cores (just keep the cars out)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/kevinverhoff/status/1439942266118885377?s=20

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

vyelkin posted:

urbanism is just sparkling car hatred, post it itt

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Every pedestrian: YES WE KNOW

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Polo-Rican posted:

This is a feature not a bug! drivers used to be much more visible in older cars... the first cars were essentially convertibles. As time has gone on, car design has evolved to make the driver more anonymous. when's the last time you saw a convertible for sale?

yeah it has to do with anonymization and not safety. you’re right. I never see convertibles every single day on the highway

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

true lol. I’ve never seen a biker signal they were going to turn or actually stop at stop signs/red lights

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

lol

Every day I commute by bike I get to decide which group I'm going to annoy: the drivers late for work or the pedestrians with their earbuds in who stick to the middle of the multi-use path.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol

Every day I commute by bike I get to decide which group I'm going to annoy: the drivers late for work or the pedestrians with their earbuds in who stick to the middle of the multi-use path.

Around here we at least mostly have both sidewalks and dedicated bike lanes.

Still, we should unite in solidarity against the true hated enemy: scooters

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A scooterer has never done me wrong

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Buffalo, NY

jesus

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Around here at least, the people who used to be the most idiotic and dangerous kind of cyclist all converted to those e-scooters

they are attracted to parking garage entrances and obstructed view intersections with traffic that doesn't stop

It's a shame that they're basically the future of non-ICE routine transit since more efficient ICE like motor scooters are seen as an admission of somehow getting enough DUIs to have your license suspended

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

These old and new side by sides are going to be very helpful next time somebody says the problem isn't landlords or speculation, but lack of density

here's a start: replace dedicated parking with dedicated shops and housing like it was before

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you can also just dig and put the parking under the earth. but that’s far less preferable to good public transit

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

indigi posted:

yeah it has to do with anonymization and not safety. you’re right.

I remember the old days when people claimed they were buying suvs because of "safety"... does anyone actually bother with that bullshit excuse any more lol

it's also the most antisocial type of safety imaginable — "I'll be safe (at the expense of everyone else)." a big reason pedestrian and cyclist deaths have gone up recently is because these "safer" vehicles obliterate anyone on foot

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I remember the old days when people claimed they were buying suvs because of "safety"... does anyone actually bother with that bullshit excuse any more lol

it's also the most antisocial type of safety imaginable — "I'll be safe (at the expense of everyone else)." a big reason pedestrian and cyclist deaths have gone up recently is because these "safer" vehicles obliterate anyone on foot

who said anything about SUVs

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I walked to work for years and gently caress bicyclists who ride on sidewalks

walk crew > bike crew

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

walk crew > bike crew

hmm, maybe gently caress drivers who make streets unsafe for bikes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
just ban cars and then cyclists and trams can share the streets and pedestrians can have the sidewalks, problem solved

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

actionjackson posted:

walk crew > bike crew

a common brain problem among drivers is assuming that pedestrians and cyclists are completely different groups, as if cyclists don't also walk places, or people who walk can't also ride a bike

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The only bikes I ever see on sidewalks (not multi-use paths) are obviously pretty unsteady and new to bikes. They'd be risking their lives on the street, so I forgive them. I'm only on the street for a few minutes and still have frequent close calls with trucks because they're all driven by psychopaths.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

because someone made something unsafe for me I will therefore make something unsafe for others. I’m very smart

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

a common brain problem among drivers is assuming that pedestrians and cyclists are completely different groups, as if cyclists don't also walk places, or people who walk can't also ride a bike

you seem to be missing a key brain component

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

indigi posted:

true lol. I’ve never seen a biker signal they were going to turn or actually stop at stop signs/red lights

docbeard posted:

actionjackson posted:

walk crew > bike crew

And like clockwork here come the idiots to scuffle between pedestrians and bicyclists' ownership of 10% of the roadway while cars take up the other 90%

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

indigi posted:

because someone made something unsafe for me I will therefore make something unsafe for others. I’m very smart

another brain problem among drivers is being completely unable to differentiate "unsafe" and "annoying." you may find a bike on the sidewalk annoying, but you can look up the numbers - the number of pedestrians actually injured by bikes is so low it's practically nonexistent. most bikes (especially on sidewalks) are going like 4mph and weigh 15 pounds. if you go to a country like the netherlands or japan, bikes and pedestrians share sidewalks constantly and nobody blinks an eye

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

walk crew > bike crew

lol what a loving shock

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

And like clockwork here come the idiots to scuffle between pedestrians and bicyclists' ownership of 10% of the roadway while cars take up the other 90%

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All I am asking is for everyone, regardless of their mode of transportation, to have some consideration for the people around them. But that's probably liberalism.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"passing on your left!" *bikes glides smoothly past a pedestrian*

"AAAA! AAAAAAA! I AM BEING ENDANGERED!!! WHERE'S MY METAL CAGE?"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

docbeard posted:

All I am asking is for everyone, regardless of their mode of transportation, to have some consideration for the people around them. But that's probably liberalism.

"All Vehicles Matter" I post from behind the wheel of my chevy tahoe as I vaporize a dozen kindergartners crossing at a crosswalk I couldn't even see

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

jesus christ lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

another brain problem among drivers is being completely unable to differentiate "unsafe" and "annoying." you may find a bike on the sidewalk annoying, but you can look up the numbers - the number of pedestrians actually injured by bikes is so low it's practically nonexistent. most bikes (especially on sidewalks) are going like 4mph and weigh 15 pounds. if you go to a country like the netherlands or japan, bikes and pedestrians share sidewalks constantly and nobody blinks an eye

to drive this point home - a cyclist and their bike weighing a combined 200 lb hauling rear end at 40 km/h has a kinetic energy of ~5.5 KJ, a 3000 lb car crawling at parking lot speeds of 20 km/h has a kinetic energy of almost 6 times that at ~29 KJ.

a brand new f150 speeding at 80 km/h in a 50 has ~561 KJ of energy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't even drive but go off I guess.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

walk crew > bike crew

lmao gently caress off you have the dumbest opinions

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one time an old lady in my city died after being hit by a bicycle and it made the news for what felt like weeks, meanwhile there were hundreds of annual deaths from people being hit by cars that nobody even bothered to report on because it's just expected

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

docbeard posted:

I don't even drive but go off I guess.

alas, car culture brain comes for us all

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just wait til the thread finds out that sometimes people get hit by trains.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I should clarify, this was a road where there was a fully separated bike path on the other side, so they didn't really have any excuse

if they didn't have that idgaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

to drive this point home - a cyclist and their bike weighing a combined 200 lb hauling rear end at 40 km/h has a kinetic energy of ~5.5 KJ, a 3000 lb car crawling at parking lot speeds of 20 km/h has a kinetic energy of almost 6 times that at ~29 KJ.

a brand new f150 speeding at 80 km/h in a 50 has ~561 KJ of energy

to me, this is like describing the brightness of flashlights in terms of "candles"