Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Pick em: champs lose.

drat, that Pujols injury sucks. Guess I'll just have to put in the other Pujols.

DL the injured Pujols, I guess you don't need to worry about calling anybody up with expanded rosters.

New lineup:

code:
DH - Collins
RF - Jackson
CF - Speaker
LF - Manny
2B - Robinson
C  - Dickey/Piazza Platoon
1B - Pujols
SS - Vaughan
3B - Boggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Edward Mass posted:

Champs retain.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
champs retain.

-Swap gehrig and dahlen, jeff bagwell in at 1B in all lineups. thank u, next

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
also CVE is now Also Skipped!!!!! Izzy can now pick!!!!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs Retain

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
champs retain

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Machine Elves take

Izzysaurus
Mar 20, 2021

Onigiri Hedgehogs draft 1950 Duke Snider.

cbx is up!

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Champs retain!

gently caress!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
The Sneki Sneks adopt baby Joe DiMaggio, 1936 version.

Robert Deadford, come on down!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Champs retain

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CirclMastr posted:

Champs retain

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

cbx posted:

The Sneki Sneks adopt baby Joe DiMaggio, 1936 version.

Robert Deadford, come on down!

I'm running down the stairs to the stage, both my hands in the air! When I reach my spot, I turn and wave at my friends! Drew Carey is not impressed.

The Dragons will take 1994 Mark Grace and not roster him until the Gauntlet.

Beet and the Steamrollers, it's your time to shine!

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

I dunno if this is actually a smart move but gently caress it let's do it for the back half of September's attempt at a chase: The Steamrollers select 1982 Jon Matlack and slot him in place of Jim Kaat

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Subpar Injury Report, Week 24

Buntsville Bastards
Pedro Martinez (SP) (Flame Emperor business) - 5 days

Krakow Dragons
JP Howell (RP) (Oh no!) - 19 days

Oklahoma City Bombers
The Other Albert Pujols (1B) (Owned) - 5 days

Onigiri Hedgehogs
Lou Gehrig (1B) (As one clone falls, so too must another) - Out for season

Saudi Steamrollers
Rogers Hornsby (2B) (The final nail in the coffin) - 7 days

South Dakota Marmosets
Greg Maddux (SP) (Died because you didn't score enough runs) - 14 days
Mickey Cochrane (C) (Ditto) - 5 days
Al Simmons (LF) (Also ditto) - 5 days

Winnipeg Baseball Club
Riggs Stephenson (LF) (For the queen!) - 10 days

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Boatmen pick 1991 Rickey Henderson.

Draft continues as normal as I'm late on my pick.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Champs retain.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

frankenfreak posted:

Machine Elves take

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXXI, Week 24: Antithesis

Pungry's Big Adventure, Part Twenty-Four posted:

ALPHA et al

C. Network! It's important for small firms to network! > Mock frankenfreak with puppets! > Flee! > Help TFLlama get to the bottom of this Riddle Joker nonsense! > Roll eyes at strange tropes in Japanese video games! > Interrogate DannoMack, using all available means! > TFLlama is right! We can go no farther! > Play video games instead of making this update longer! > Continue playing Tales of Arise! > A. Keep playing video games! > IGNORE ALL!

The foxes felt no loyalty to frankenfreak. There was no reason for them to get involved. After all, frankenfreak was essentially a monster. If some Marquis was going to execute him, the foxes had all the faith in the world that the legal process would ensure the right outcome, which, in this case, meant creating an outcome where frankenfreak would never bother the foxes again.

"You can't just ignore me!" frankenfreak said. "I thought you foxes believed in the rule of law."

The foxes did believe in the rule of law. But they also believed that frankenfreak deserved to be pecked to death by murderous crows and, as far as the foxes knew, that was the preferred method of execution in whatever jurisdiction frankenfreak had managed to get himself into trouble in.

"Fine." frankenfreak said, "I didn't want to bring this up, but there is something you should see." He handed a piece of paper to the foxes, who read it.

NOTICE posted:

IN THE HIGH COURT OF EVERMARK
ASSIZE OF FALL - LINTON

THE MARQUIS OF EVERMARK,
Plaintiff

v.

FRANKENFREAK,
Defendant

SUPPLEMENTAL APPEARANCE

NOW COMES habeasdorkus, of HABEASDORKUS LAW OFFICES, P.C., who hereby enters his supplemental appearance on behalf of Plaintiff, the Marquis of Evermark.

Dated this 24th Week of Super-League XXXI

/s/habeasdorkus

The foxes glared at the paper. It should not have surprised them that habeasdorkus would get involved in this matter. After all, for habeasdorkus to remain in the Super-League, he needed to kill as many other owners as possible to make his own lackluster team seem worthy. frankenfreak, for all of his many faults, was probably more deserving of remaining in the Super-League than habeasdorkus.

The foxes had no choice, they could not ignore this matter, no matter how much they wanted to, as that would be to allow habeasdorkus' villainy to prevail, and as corrupt as the league had become, the foxes could not let it slide any further. No, the foxes would have to intervene, and save habeasdorkus from certain destruction, no matter how terrible the thought of doing so was.

Of course, it wasn't quite that simple. It never was. The foxes were licensed to practice law in the Super-League, not in the Marquisiate of Evermark. If the foxes wanted to represent frankenfreak in that court, they had two real options, each deadlier than the last.

They could apply to the court to be admitted pro hac vice, that was, to be admitted temporarily for the limited purpose of representing frankenfreak in this particular case. The problem with that approach, however, is that each jurisdiction was entitled to come up with its own ground rules for pro hac vice admission, and it was possible, even probable, that in Evermark, the judge reviewing the application was entitled to use their discretion in determining whether or not to grant that admission. If the justice system of Evermark were truly rigged against frankenfreak, which the foxes believed was the case, though they had little proof, it would not be impossible to foresee how the foxes' application could be denied, and all of their efforts would be for naught.

On the other hand, there was the longer path that did guarantee admission. If the foxes could pass the Evermarkian Bar Examination, the judge's hands would be tied. It would be a gross abuse to refuse to allow a defendant their choice of counsel, and the foxes were skeptical that any judge would go quite that far, if for no other reason than it would make clear their bias. What the foxes didn't know, however, was whether or not they could pass the Evermarkian Bar Exam, especially since, from what the foxes could tell, Evermark existed in some sort of fantasy realm with laws that were likely far removed from the foxes' experience. And the foxes were not going to pay for BarBri again. It just was not happening. If they had to choose between BarBri and the painful death of frankenfreak, then frankenfreak would just have to suck it up and die.

What will the foxes do?

A. Apply for Pro Hac Vice admission!

B. Study for the Evermarkian Bar Exam

XI

SEASON END NOW! END END END!

PI

C. Turn the radio on his nightstand to 86.7 KKIX: The Thunder > Buy a new radio! A better radio! > Attempt to listen to the HulkaChannel! > McFreeze has been dead for five year! > WAIT! There is a logical inconsistency here! > Buy a glove to cover his metal hand! > ALL OF THE COLORS! > Play video games! > Zero Time Dilemma! > Push both buttons! > NO! > Pungry will simply choose to no longer need an atmosphere to live! > A scrivener! > Go to the knife-boxing fight! > Respect the sanctity of knife-boxing! > Encourage Storg to believe in himself! > Feel very sad about getting Storg killed and accomplishing nothing. > Allow Storg's body to be reclaimed by nature! > Use his smarts to make frankenfreak love the Pi timeline, and thus make the Marquis not want to kill frankenfreak!

"Hooooooooooooooold on!" Pungry said. "Now, I'm not a super-big fan of frankenfreak. He's evil, and German-"

"Redundant reasoning." The Marquis said.

"Hey, now, not all Germans are evil! Look at the Super-League! We have frankenfreak, and TheMcD and...." Pungry realized he was not standing on solid ground. "FairGame is German. And everyone likes him!"

"I don't know who this 'FairGame' is," The Marquis said, "But perhaps-"

"Stop right there, my lord!" habeasdorkus appeared, "This man is trying to deceive you!"

"Oh, good, it's habeasdorkus. We're all just so excited to see him." Pungry said, barely able to restrain the urge to jump off a cliff. "Why are you here?"

"I heard my half-brother STORG had died in an unfortunate accident." habeasdorkus said.

Pungry looked to Okie, "Yes. An accident. To which no liability attaches." Okie said. "No liability at all."

"FairGame is American! But he is from St. Louis, so not the best part of America." habeasdorkus said.

"Why not." The Marquis said, neither knowing nor caring about St. Louis. "In any event, we're a bit busy, we have Storg's funeral to prepare for as well as frankenfreak's execution."

"Right!" habeasdorkus said. "And I am all in on both of those issues. frankenfreak is a wily opponent, and you'll need good legal counsel on your side if you're going to have his execution go off without a hitch."

"I don't see how, it's not like the rule of law is an issue." The Marquis said, "It's not really a democracy."

"But he could appeal." habeasdorkus said. "Isn't there someone he could appeal to?"

"He can't appeal to the church." Okie said. "The Marquis stole all their stuff. Plus, they apparently eat orphans."

"No, no, no." Stan said, "You're remembering it wrong. They take orphans and then make an immortality potion from the remains of the orphans."

"Isn't that just eating them?" Okie asked.

"If you're drinking whiskey, would you say that you're drinking barley?" Stan asked.

"Either way, he can't appeal to the church." The Marquis said, "And I really doubt that an appeal to the Emperor is going to work."

"But what if it did?" habeasdorkus asked. "I hear he has not one, not two, but three fennec foxes at his disposal. Each more cunning than the last. He won't just lie down and let you behead him."

"We had a much more exciting way of killing him that just beheading him!" Okie said.

"My point is that you need my help to make sure that frankenfreak goes down once and for all." habeasdorkus said.

"One moment." The Marquis said, before calling his courtiers together to discuss the proposal. "Obviously, this man is evil and cannot be trusted. But as long as we recognize that, I don't suppose there's any harm in letting him help us execute frankenfreak."

"Why does he want to kill frankenfreak?" Mazus asked.

"That's hardly our concern." The Marquis said.

"Well, now, hold on." Okie said. "He could secretly be working with frankenfreak, and is looking to sabotage us from the inside."

"How would he sabotage us?" The Marquis pressed for more details.

Okie thought, "I'm not sure. But he is claiming to be Storg's brother. Let's be honest, everyone in that family is a little suspect."

"I can't argue that point." Stan said. "But they do tend to be mostly on the level. Even if the 'level' is not really all that close to reality. None of them have ever tried to deceive us. Although, to be fair, we have no real proof that this guy actually is related to Storg. It's not like he's produced a birth certificate or anything. Although, if we did, we'd still be out of luck, because Storg doesn't have a birth certificate either. All the documentation we have for him is a contemporary letter from a local magistrate bemoaning that a great calamity befell his land, and that this terror's name was Storg."

"I guess the thing is," Okie thought it through, that this guy seems evil, and he's offering to help us get a guy executed on flimsy grounds-"

"They are not flimsy grounds. He said that my timeline bored him! Or something to that effect! It's an insult I will not bear!" The Marquis interrupted.

"Right, right, right. Anyway, the point is, do we really believe that someone as transparently evil as habeasdorkus would do something that would prevent us from killing a guy?" Okie asked. "It seems to me that, whatever his plans are, that he really does want to help us accomplish our goal."

The huddle dispersed. "We accept your help." The Marquis said.

"Outstanding." habeasdorkus said. "And now the time has come to put frankenfreak on the road to oblivion. Oh, what fools these men are, to help me vanquish my foes, not knowing that, ultimately, my desire to help them stems from my own desire to evade my own promised end. Yes, the day will come, in time, when my existence in the Super-League becomes more than a bare struggle for survival, but evolves into a glorious march through the halls of glory there to meet, at the end, the damnable Macho Men, for it will be I who finally plucks the crown from the head of the eternal wardens of the Super-League and thus transcends the concept of the league itself. I, and I alone, shall be the one who solves this league and whose name is forever writ upon the heavens as the champion of champions, so that future generations look upon my works and despair, for I will not be an Ozymandias, whose works lie in a ruined in heap in antique lands, my triumph shall be never-ending, so that when the stars themselves burn out of the sky, and naught is left of this cosmos but dust and exhaustion, that even then, in that dark and dismal age that stretches out for eternity, even then, when coldness and darkness pervades and nothing else remains, even then shall my final victory be known and admired. When the last being in the universe has the very last thought before passing into eternity, that thought will surely be of how glorious the time of habeasdorkus was and how woeful it was to not live in that age. Everything from the origin of this universe on will lead to that moment, when I reach the pinnacle of the Super-League, and everything from then on shall be a mere denouement. All glory shall be in my name, and my name alone!"

habeasdorkus noticed everyone staring at him. "That was practice. I was practicing my oratory for the trial." He said.

What will Pungry do?

A. Help the foxes get frankenfreak off the hook!

B. Wasn't the manifest Super-League supposed to be planning to kill everyone? Shouldn't Pungry do something about that?

C. Do something wacky and unproductive!

RHO

B. Acquire a pet kitten > Attempt to defuse tensions with an emotional dance > Dance a dance of grief > Prove them all wrong with the GREATEST DANCE! > Let's try dancing just one more time! To be sure! > Clearly, the problem is your shoes. Acquire better shoes! > Stop for lunch! > Smasher Dynamo, do you take me for a fool? Do you think I do not understand the game we are playing? You know drat well what the answer is. You know drat well what the answer has always been! Pungry will get gyros! > French fries! > Did you remember to order a drink? Order a drink! > DRINK THE VAULT! > Trust Imaginos! > No! > Don't trust habeasdorkus! > I WILL NEVER TRUST HABEASDORKUS! HE IS THE LORD OF LIES! > HOW MANY TIMES MUST I SAY NO?! > ESCAPE!

C. Network! It's important for small firms to network! > Mock frankenfreak with puppets! > Flee! > Help TFLlama get to the bottom of this Riddle Joker nonsense! > Roll eyes at strange tropes in Japanese video games! > Try and restore DannoMack's sanity, to get this information! > Go to the Tim Horton's behind them! > Get coffee. It may not be a real Tim Horton's, but there must be coffee somewhere, right? > Continue searching for coffee! > Return to the real world (remember, they were in a sensory deprivation tank), and save the day! > ECTO COOLER!

"Ecto Cooler." Pungry said, before nodding confidently.

"I'm sorry, what?" TFLlama was confused.

"You know, Ecto Cooler!" Pungry pumped his fist.

"Okay, while I understand what Ecto Cooler is, I don't see how that is applicable to our current problems." TFLlama said.

"Name one problem that Ecto Cooler hasn't solved." Pungry asked, full of swagger.

"Climate change." TFLlama said, clearly unconvinced.

"If you spray enough Ecto Cooler into the atmosphere, it will act as an aerosol, reducing the amount of sunlight that hits the earth, and therefore reducing the temperature." Pungry said, as though that were obvious. "Most geoengineering projects are based on Ecto Cooler."

The foxes, once again, felt tired.

"Even assuming that, somehow, Ecto Cooler were the solution, there's a slight flaw in your plan. They stopped making Ecto Cooler." TFLlama said.

Pungry shook his head, he was truly disappointed in TFLlama, "So you're trying to blame this crisis on the fact that you think women aren't funny, is that it?"

"What? How?" TFLlama said.

"The reason that Ecto Cooler went off the shelves is because the last time that it was available, it was a product tie-in with the latest Ghostbusters movie, with the primarily female cast, which did poorly at the box office. And as you remember, so many people were out there, claiming that the reason it sucked was because it starred women." Pungry said. "I thought you were better than that."

"I'm not blaming women for-" TFLlama found himself on the backpedal, "The issue was not the cast, the issue was that it just wasn't a funny movie. Listen, I suppose that Melissa McCarthy can be funny in small doses, I don't know, I never watched that sitcom she was on. But Paul Feig and Ben Falcone clearly see something in her in terms of her viability as the lead actress in a comedy feature film that no one else is seeing, and no one has sat down with either of them and tried to explain that they're wrong. I don't know what they're doing. But it's not working, and either way, Ecto Cooler isn't available."

"If there were no god, it would be necessary to invent him." Pungry said. "Nietzsche said that."

"No, Voltaire said that." TFLlama said.

"They're basically the same guy. The point is, without Ecto Cooler in existence, we must make our own!" Pungry said. "The ingredients are easy enough to acquire. We will need the juice of orange, juice of tangerine, powder of lemonade, powder of Tang, sugar of cane, and water of water." Pungry said.

"Water of water?" TFLlama asked.

"I was trying to go for a theme." Pungry said, "But water is just water, so it kind of fell apart."

"Okay, fine, those ingredients are easy enough to get." TFLlama said, "At least I think it is, I haven't looked for Tang at the store for...ever, but I assume it's still available."

"If not, we could raid an astronaut's tomb." Pungry said.

"We're not doing that again." TFLlama said. "The last time we did that is the reason that we don't have an owner for the Killer Mikes anymore."

Pungry did recall the undead form of Gene Cernan choking the life out of tatankatonk. It was a ghastly sight, and one he would not like to repeat. "It's probably at the store."

Several hours later, and one detour to the Museum of Science and Industry to settle an argument between Pungry and TFLlama, the team had assembled the ingredients. "What are the right proportions we're supposed to be using?"

"I don't know." Pungry admitted. "There are a ton of recipes on the internet, and all use the same ingredients, but in different amounts. And the stakes are so high. If we fail, the Super-League will just be further convinced that it needs to destroy itself. Only Ecto Cooler can give its existence meaning."

"But what is the right recipe?"

WHAT IS THE CORRECT RECIPE FOR ECTO COOLER?

A. 3/4 Cup Tangerine Juice, 3/4 Cup Orange Juice/1 Tablespoon Lemonade Mix/2 Tablespoons Tang/10 to 14 Cups Water/1 1/2 Cups Sugar

B. 1 Cup Tangerine Juice/1 Cup Orange Juice/1 Tablespoon Lemonade Mix/2 Tablespoons Tang/2 Cups of Sugar/2 Cups of Water/Additional Water to fill a gallon jug

C. 1 1/2 Cup Tangerine Juice/1 1/2 Cup Orange Juice/1 Tablespoon Lemonade Mix/2 Tablespoons Tang/1 1/2 Cup Sugar/Water as needed

D. 3/4 Cup Tangerine Juice, 3/4 Cup Orange Juice/1/3 Scoop Lemonade Mix/2 Tablespoons Tang/1 1/2 Cup Sugar/Water as needed

E. Cups? Tablespoons? I'm sorry, have I fallen into medieval times? In this century, we use metric measures!

Games of the Week

Rollie Fingers has 22 decisions for the Generics. That's a hell of a thing for a reliever.

Not great, even if it doesn't materially alter anything. Although, as these teams are basically destined to face each other in the first round, it's not a great sign for the Machine Elves.

...the game ended when Alex Rodriguez, who was only playing because craigk traded the MACHINE, made an error?

I'm sorry, craigk, this game is to depressing for me to make a joke about. We're reaching Jude the Obscure levels of misery.

That's some bullpen usage by the Panderers right there. I'm not sure it did them any real good, but it's a hell of a thing.

Team Statistics

Standings

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Alpha et al

We're out of time. We have two weeks to go. We need them as counsel now. A. Apply for Pro Hac Vice admission!

Pi

B. Wasn't the manifest Super-League supposed to be planning to kill everyone? Shouldn't Pungry do something about that? That seems quite pressing.

Rho

C. 1 1/2 Cup Tangerine Juice/1 1/2 Cup Orange Juice/1 Tablespoon Lemonade Mix/2 Tablespoons Tang/1 1/2 Cup Sugar/Water as needed I don't know man, I'm just guessing.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A
C
B

There's no way the foxes are gonna pay $10k for Barbri again.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

kw0134 posted:

A
C
B

There's no way the foxes are gonna pay $10k for Barbri again.

I concur with counsel.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Boggs is sore, so please put Pete Rose in at 3B vs RHP just filling in at boggs spot in the order.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

What will the foxes do?

What will Pungry do?
B. Wasn't the manifest Super-League supposed to be planning to kill everyone? Shouldn't Pungry do something about that?

WHAT IS THE CORRECT RECIPE FOR ECTO COOLER?
A. 3/4 Cup Tangerine Juice, 3/4 Cup Orange Juice/1 Tablespoon Lemonade Mix/2 Tablespoons Tang/10 to 14 Cups Water/1 1/2 Cups Sugar

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
ALPHA: A. Apply for Pro Hac Vice admission!
PI: B. Wasn't the manifest Super-League supposed to be planning to kill everyone? Shouldn't Pungry do something about that?
RHO: E. Cups? Tablespoons? I'm sorry, have I fallen into medieval times? In this century, we use metric measures!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Alpha et al.: B
Pi: A (Synergy!)
Rho: die says C

Please make Buddy Myer small spoon for Joe Sewell at 3B. Looking at the Outlaws' probable starters that should help fix Sewell's soreness. Thank you.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Subpar Season XIX, Week 24, Freefallin’ By David Bowie
Games of the Week

quote:

MOSQUITOES SUCK FINAL BIT OF LIFE FORCE FROM GLASS SPIDERS IN 13 INNING WIN

How did it all fall apart so quickly? The Glass Spiders at one point were winning the Chinstrap division and at the very least within a couple of games of the lead at nearly all points of the season, but have collapsed faster than David Bowie’s reputation. Sitting 9 games back of both the Calling and Marmosets, they are technically still in contention for the division… until you realize that the Marmosets and Calling play each other for the final three games of the year, and there’s no way both teams can lose all three games. At the very least, salvaging one win against the division-winning Mosquitoes in today’s affair would’ve been a nice confidence booster for Mazus the Merciless’s Merry Men going into the late rounds of the Gauntlet.

And it all started fine for FairGame’s squad. Three runs came across in the third thanks to a rally that was capped with a two-run double by Jimmie Foxx. Foxx and company added two more insurance runs in the 5th to make it 5-2, and the Spiders had their most consistent pitcher, Juan Marichal, on the mound. Unfortunately, the pesky Mosquitoes’ powerful lineup chipped away at The Dominican Dandy, and broke through in the 7th. It started with an error by defensive replacement Gabby Hartnett, letting Yogi Berra reach to leadoff. Two singles later, and it was 5-4 Spiders. Marichal came back and got the next two outs easily enough, and just had to retire Tris Speaker to escape the threat. Sadly, Speaker continued his absolutely monster year for the Mosquitoes and smacked an RBI single that tied the game. Albert Pujols hit an RBI single of his own to give the Mosquitoes a 6-5 lead by the end of the 7th.

But the Spiders wouldn’t shatter quite that easily. Hack Wilson led off the top of the 9th with a triple, and came home on a Billy Herman single. The Spiders were able to load the bases with two outs, but Gary Sheffield did his best Jarred Kelenic impression and struck out to end the inning. From there, each team’s bullpen did fine work extending the game as long as it could go when the Mogul AI looked at all the September callups, and stuck with his absolute worst relief pitcher of Bobby Shantz for a third inning instead of literally anyone else. It did not go well. Nap Lajoie had an infield single to lead off, then was pushed to second on a sacrifice bunt by Tris Speaker. Then, with two outs, it was the Mosquitoes’ Hack Wilson that finished off the Spiders with an RBI double to win the game 7-6, effectively eliminating the Spiders from postseason contention.

“Some people will say ‘oh, FairGame, that’s baseball. The Spiders simply regressed to the mean. Their defense is bad. There’s no conspiracy against you’ to try and explain what has happened to the Spiders lately,” said FairGame. “But that’s absolutely wrong. Why else would my manager decide to leave in Bobby Shantz for a third straight inning when the Mosquitoes only have right-handed bats coming to the plate? I understand not wanting to put the other fresh lefty, Nick Altrock, in, because alternative rockers Arcade Fire are what killed David Bowie, but Doc White was right there! No, as always, the Spiders blew this game for the same reason they’ve blown the last month: there’s a drat conspiracy against us. Don’t you think it’s a little suspicious it was the Mosquitoes’ clone of Hack Wilson that won the game that our Hack Wilson hit a triple in? Hmm? How do we know that isn’t just our Hack Wilson suiting up for the Mosquitoes? I didn’t see both of them in the batter’s box at the same time! I know Smasher paid Pungry off to keep me and the truth out of the Super League. But the voice of the ombudsman will not be silenced!”

Meanwhile, GVOLTT continued to scheme in his Generali Tower as he watched FairGame’s press conference. “Mwahahaha! Foolish FairGame. So close to the truth, and yet so far. It would be so silly if I were to try and buy your Hack Wilson midway through a game when I could instead use my deadly talent-sucking mosquitoes to steal all of your Hack Wilson’s abilities as the game progresses, and no one would be any the wiser! Soon, I will be in the Super League proper, and able to steal all the life force from every clone I see! Mwahahaha!”

Game Notes: A thirteen inning game only lasting 4:20? I wish I lived in the Mogul world.

quote:

BATTLE FOR THIRD IN ROCKHOPPER TIED AFTER DRAGONS SWEEP SAUDI

This week was the make-or-break week for the Saudi Steamrollers. They’ve played perpetual .500 ball all season, which has been good enough to keep pace with the terrible Rockhopper division. Coming into the start of the series against the Oklahoma City Bombers, the Steamrollers were just four games back of the Horny Goats. Three brutal losses later, including a walkoff loss in the final game, the Steamrollers were six games back. But that was okay, because up next for Saudi was to play the Krakow Dragons at home, and the Dragons may look good by Pythagorean record, but have never lived up to their metrics. Two brutal losses later, and Saudi found themselves going into today’s final game seven games back of the division, and now playing for gauntlet positioning.

The game started alright for Saudi. Their ace, Dizzy Dean, was on the mound, and he’d been an above-average pitcher the entire year. They took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first thanks to Tris Speaker reaching on an error, stealing second, and getting driven home by a Barry Bonds single. Krakow got that run back in the fourth thanks to an RBI single by Matt Kemp, and Dean and Dragons’ pitcher Walter Johnson traded scoring innings until the 7th. Dean came out to face the 7-8-9 hitters in the Dragons’ lineup, and immediately got burned. Ron Santo walked and came home on an RBI double from Joe Cronin. Two batters later, Rickey Henderson smoked an RBI triple to make it 3-1, Dragons. Chuck Klein drove Rickey home with a sacrifice fly that put Krakow up 4-1 at the end of the top of the 7th.

But the Steamrollers weren’t done yet. Walter Johnson stayed on the mound, and started the inning sharp, getting two quick outs. But Vern Stephens smacked a double, and Johnson decided to intentionally walk MVP candidate Tris Speaker. With two on and two out, Ryne Sandberg hit a clutch RBI single to push it to 4-2. Then Manny Ramirez hit a ball to right field that Hank Aaron misplayed so bad that it ended up as an RBI double. Johnson stayed in the game to intentionally walk Barry Bonds, which loaded the bases, and Robert Deadford went to get Rollie Fingers to go against pinch-hitter Duke Snider. Against all odds, Fingers didn’t blow it, and got Snider to ground out to end the inning with the Dragons still clinging to that 4-3 lead. The best chance for the Steamrollers came in the 8th when Mickey Cochrane led off with a double, but Fingers quickly got the next three batters out and Kenley Jansen pitched a 1-2-3 inning in the 9th to win the game, 4-3.

“I’m mighty proud of the Dragons deciding to wake up after the Bastards swept us,” said Robert Deadford at his grill, trident in hand. “We technically could still win this godforsaken division if both the Marmosets and Bokononists lose every single game and we win every single game… but I’d be happy if we just finished with a record good enough to qualify for the third round of the gauntlet instead of the second. Being tied with 4 separate teams with this record means it won’t take much to get above or below that threshold, just like how it doesn’t take much to grill a nice kebob.”

“Why is every game of the week I’m in one where my team fails?” asked Beet. “I’m pretty sure I asked this last time, too. Look. The Steamrollers never played at full health this year. If Gehringer and Speaker don’t have those long-term injuries, we’re fighting for this division. It’s as simple as that. Look at every other good team in the Sub Par. What do they all have in common? Good injury luck, and a Tris Speaker. I only had one of those two things. Hornsby just got injured because his knee got spiked by those dirty Polish bastards. They also probably dangerously undercooked their housewarming meat gift that they gave us at the start of the series. It’s not my team’s fault, it’s bad luck and conspiracy and the lack of The Machine that killed us. And it’s absolutely sacrilegious what CraigK is doing with my boy up there in the SL proper. You don’t loan The Machine out. You keep him as he berates you for being a Failure Unit over and over until you win and get Machoed. Unforgiveable. I will avenge The Machine if it’s the last thing I do.”

Game Notes: I hope Saudi enjoyed Pedro Borbon’s brief appearance in this game before getting injured again.

quote:

MARMOSETS PROVE PET SUPERIORITY OVER CORGIS IN 6-3 WIN

The battle for “best pet” is usually between dog owners and cat owners. And it’s hard to argue with dog owners when they’ve got Hype on their side, doing Hype things. But the South Dakota Marmosets have entered the debate with their own fuzzball of love: the, well, marmoset. They are tiny monkeys that can be held in the palm of your hand, and are quite cute. However, they are also suited to tropical climates and are quick to get bored, so they tend to make pretty terrible pets if put in a northern, cold climate in a place that has nothing going on in it, like, say, South Dakota. It is an especially cruel thing to put marmosets in South Dakota for those reasons, yet Zodiac5000 has carved out a long Super League career with these Marmosets while the Corgis have been defeated in the Gauntlet before, and look like they’ll be eliminated yet again soon. So how does Zodiac5000 do it?

“Marmosets love internet humor,” said Zodiac5000. “You think I came up with the ‘Die Alone’ logo? Nah, that was my pet, xXSephiroth_420Xx, who came up with it. He loves image macros like the ‘Forever Alone’ guy or ‘Trollface’. Ironically, of course. He doesn’t actually think it’s that funny on its own, but to troll people instead. Since there’s nothing else to do in South Dakota, and taking Sephy outside in winter would be a death sentence, I bought him a Something Awful account to try and pass the time. He was quickly hooked on doomscrolling through C-SPAM and posting different misspellings of Trump’s name. When all the drama about Lowtax was once again in the spotlight, he tried joining an off-site forum for like-minded marmosets, but quickly found out that the bread and roses promised were not edible. He’s since come back to Something Awful and has fought for a long time in QCS to keep the Trumplol thread around, and I try to stay out of his way because all his hassle is worth it when I can pet him in the palm of my hand.”

When asked for comment about pets, Jampact had this to say: “That is animal cruelty on three counts. One, making a Marmoset live in South Dakota’s hostile and cold climate. Two, making a Marmoset live in South Dakota, a hostile and boring place. Three, making a Marmoset a Something Awful account. I’ve made kensei go to marriage counseling three times for making me a Something Awful account. I can’t imagine what that does to a poor monkey’s brain that doesn’t have the ability to cope with politicsbrain. My team may get gauntleted, but at least I have a pet that is actually being taken care of and loves me. And Hype, as well, I guess. But mostly kensei.”

Game Notes: 6 hits, 7 walks, 6 strikeouts is one definition of “effectively wild”, I suppose, Nolan Ryan.

The team of Bestiny might’ve reached its end.

Now these are the Bastards I remember fighting for first in the division! Hell yeah.

Time for Joe DiMaggio to save the Sneks.

And the Stick Club gets the last laugh.

Ted Williams tried very hard.

Depressing collapse from this team.

I recommend clinching before you play the Bombers.

Chuck Klein hitting like Ted Williams… except for the OBP.

Next week is really the week to bury South Dakota… is what I’d say if they didn’t also have an easy schedule.

Yeah, I don’t see this team losing the division with this easy a schedule left.

And after all that, you lost two out of three to the Propane Sellers.

Hey, A-Rod’s almost back! Horay!

Brutal ending.

Um. Hmm. That’s sad.

As little as Andrew Miller has played, at least he played more than a backup quarterback.

3-11 joke.

Stick that club.

You have the power to destroy the Chinstrap division… or to save it.

Just as exciting as the division races is the race for this team to finish at or above .500.

You made up a game! Just do that the next 8 weeks.

Standings

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Walter Johnson to SP3, Dazzy Vance to bullpen.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
ALPHA et al

PI

C. Do something wacky and unproductive!

RHO

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sftsn36iYmM

In memory of Eddie Collins, if only I had a second one I could have put there in his place. Ah well, it's not like any team could ever have Two Eddie Collins simultaneously so I guess I'll just have to put Ryne Sandberg at 2B full-time

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Minnesota Gov't Dogs clinch the Norris-Smythe Division
Mexico City Machine Elves clinch a playoff berth
Los Angeles Misanthropes clinch the Memento Mori Division
Algonquin Park Handybeavers clinch a wildcard
Raleigh Red Pandas clinch the Sic Transit Vir Division

Super-League XXXI, Week 25 Injury Report

Enix Slimes
Ernie Lombardi (C) (NOTHING HAS CHANGED) - 100 days

Los Angeles Misanthropes
Mickey Mantle (CF) (Broke) - 15 days

Mexico City Machine Guns
Jesse Tannehill (SP) (Don't care) - 7 days

Portland Panderers
David Price (SP) (Definitely don't care) - 13 days

SanSan Outlaws
Dizzy Dean (SP) (Does it matter? NO!) - 11 days

The Hague Honkbalers
Mike Stanton (RP) (Stop making me do work!) - 10 days

Titanic Deck Chairs
Nap Lajoie (2B) (STOP GETTING INJURED!) - 12 days

Pick 'em: SEASON END NOW!

Omni-Titles
Minnesota Gov't Dogs @ The Hague Honkbalers (c)

Grand Slam Championships
Titanic Deck Chairs @ Algonquin Park Handybeavers (c)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Champs retain.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dogs take, beavers retain

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Champs Lose!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Champs lose!!!!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Champs retain

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Champs retain.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CFBalla posted:

Champs retain.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lol at that quote from jampact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Champs retain, but just to note I'm pretty sure I am the champ not the honkballers there. So I mean that the dogs retain.