Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Meanwhile, back where Prey’s creative director landed: https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1422072364750172160?s=21

i hope you're linking this to say this rules because it rules and now i wanna check out that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah I'd never heard of it before that tweet and now I'm instantly hype

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is dope.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
All I know about weird west is that its ex-Arkane people and you can be a werewolf and a pigman

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've played through Prey like 4 times and had no idea you could let Dahl kill Alex let alone watch it happen

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Goddamn that Dahl detail, that's news to me too.

25:10 in the above video

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:same:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

I've played through Prey like 4 times and had no idea you could let Dahl kill Alex let alone watch it happen

Played through two times and watched a LP and didn't know that was possible :drat:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t even understand how you could “ignore” Dahl at that point. It’s been a while but isn’t that basically all there is to do at that point?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think Alex probably gave you the objectives to end the game by then, but yea most sane people detour to deal with Dahl and his infinitely spawning operators.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I played Prey for the first time back in February this year and was 90% blown away/10% disappointed, but since then I've replayed fully once about a month ago and have started a third playthrough in the last few days - it's just such a different experience playing when you know how things will turn out and also starting out with shitloads of neuromods. Second playthrough turned out to be better than the first.
I'm having SO MUCH FUN.

(been playing a hell of a lot of other stuff in the mean time and man, I'm so glad to have come back to games after a long-rear end break. I even revived my extremely ancient xbox to play KOTOR and Thief: Deadly Shadows)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Mooncrash was getting really good and surprisingly hard and I was loving it and then it suddenly got really easy? Why would it do this, I was having so much fun, and now everything just feels trivial. What happened??

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

All immersive sims have inverse difficulty curves.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Neuromods/gear catch up to and exceed the scaling due to plot success. Having it the other way around - difficulty scaling off of player power - is a disaster, see Oblivion. I also feel that the player comfort due to level familiarity is never counteracted enough; not enough RNG elements being changed, the environmental hazards never live up to their bark.

And that's setting aside the whole 'fab anti-corruption' thing.

It's still a very good game, but I'm kinda disapointed that there isn't an official Hard mode, but that might be asking for too much.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There's a significant difference between "game gets harder as you advance through it" and "difficulty scales with player power", and Oblivion is a particularly egregious example of doing level scaling wrong but that doesn't mean scaling difficulty to player power is bad, it just means it can be implemented poorly (the simplest way to implement it well, of course, is to let the player toggle the difficulty level(s) themselves to find an amount of scaling thay best matches their power)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Mooncrash would have been better if instead of the modern Roguelite thing of "you keep powers after death"- upgrades reset, but cost less, meaning you can change around with builds per run. Because Mooncrash does have a significant snowballing problem where it just suddenly becomes trivial.

That or just making the time limit less trivial as you get further and further along the completion/upgrade paths.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Get rid of the craftable timer things entirely, or at least dont make them craftable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah the timer reduction powerups are outright wayyyyy too good. You kind of have to intentionally not use them to have it be challenging past midgame

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

There's a significant difference between "game gets harder as you advance through it" and "difficulty scales with player power", and Oblivion is a particularly egregious example of doing level scaling wrong but that doesn't mean scaling difficulty to player power is bad, it just means it can be implemented poorly (the simplest way to implement it well, of course, is to let the player toggle the difficulty level(s) themselves to find an amount of scaling thay best matches their power)

that's the simplest and you'd think would be the best way but otoh every game with easily accessible difficulty settings gets a million dorks swamping every review or comments section with demands the idiot devs fix the egregious balance issue where the hardest mode is hard

I guess same kinda problem as seen ITT where a bunch of folks are ruining their ability to enjoy the game because bizarro gimmick achievements meant for some obsessive's 50th playthrough are available at all. People just can't help themselves

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 22, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really mind the "there is one difficulty setting" thing in most games but it can definitely lead to problems when it's just too hard or too easy (hello, MGS5)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 22, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Get with the Method

quote:

Chunnel's Marvelous Mooncrash Method

The object of this Method is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Prey's roguelite expansion, Mooncrash.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each character or draw a new hand with each death is on you.

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use the mule operator.
Spades- Cannot build delay objects
Diamonds- Cannot build neuromods
Hearts- Must use delay objects immediately upon acquiring them.

Cards:
Ace- Subsistence Mode (basic equipment only at start)
2- Can only jump-mount gloo (if you can land straight on a surface, that's fine)
3- Must use trauma healing objects immediately upon acquiring them (in other words, if you get hurt, build the thing or start looking)
4- Cannot use chips.
5- Can only use stungun / EMP to pass barriers
6- Can only use control modules to restore primary power (does not apply to Director's mission)
7- Moon Sharks are sacred to you and you cannot harm them.
8- Can only use ordinary (white) weapons.
9- Can only use guns against flying typhon out of melee range (applies to cystoid and tentacle nests).
10- Must use medkits and hypos immediately on acquring them.
Jack- Cannot drop anything (can only use, consume or recycle to free inventory space)
Queen- Can only carry one stack of ammo (or 300x of battery / cell) and 2 of any grenade
King- Cannot use direct harm mind powers or bullet time (*jack / summoning / defensive powers ok)

If you draw an ace and a face card, reset the simulation.

On my first use of the Method I got:
No building neuromods
No mule operator
Must use delay objects immediately
Can only jump-mount gloo
Cannot restore trams
Cannot hurt moon sharks
Can only use standard weapons

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
rip ricky jay

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Hey, it's that guy from Deadwood

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I posted in this thread back in... February? because Prey was pretty much the first game I'd played after a 10+ year hiatus from playing games. I adored 90% of it, and was extremely meh about 10%.
Since then, I've replayed it twice (in between playing a lot of other stuff) and I'm much less critical now of the things I originally disliked. Also, mindjack is an incredibly fun power - I assumed it was human-only, because it's description specified 'biological' and the Typhon seemed much weirder, but it absolutely works on them, so you can set off crazy fights between them and just pick up the debris afterwards.
I will 100% replay again, it's just a really REALLY good game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I will say that one thing I think Mooncrash did that was really fun was adding a mid-air dodge, but they kind of dropped in the ball in regards to requiring you to actually get good at it - meaning if you do get halfway good at it a lot of stuff that I am assuming was supposed to difficult just becomes a question of "do I have enough ammo?" in a game that lets you bring along effectively infinite ammo, but if you don't use it then a lot of fights get a lot slower and more boring because it's fun to use the mid-air dodge.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that's the simplest and you'd think would be the best way but otoh every game with easily accessible difficulty settings gets a million dorks swamping every review or comments section with demands the idiot devs fix the egregious balance issue where the hardest mode is hard

I guess same kinda problem as seen ITT where a bunch of folks are ruining their ability to enjoy the game because bizarro gimmick achievements meant for some obsessive's 50th playthrough are available at all. People just can't help themselves

Some games who implement the "simple" solution also manage to do so in a way that is so bad there are actually egregious balance issues at pretty much every level, especially the hard ones, because lots of devs somehow either make the higher difficulties result in things being easier somehow past the first ten minutes, or confuse "hard" with "tedious" and the harder difficulties just make things more boring instead of harder.

Both of those are also a problem in skyrim-style RPGs, and the general lesson I take away from those games consistently loving every conceivable way to implement adjustable difficulty is that most RPG developers are actually exceptionally bad at designing good gameplay and have a very poor understanding of what makes things difficult or easy (which might well be part of why they are choosing a genre where being exceptionally bad at that particular thing isn't usually all that big a deal on account of genre conventions being "make skill and difficulty irrelevant and replace it instead with time investment")

Although you're right that there are also a lot of folks who whine about "I picked the hardest difficulty and it was hard", and there's a reason why "only offer harder difficulties to players who demonstrate they can handle harder difficulties and otherwise don't point out its adjustable" is a pretty common addition to the formula.

Basic Chunnel posted:

No mule operator

I do this one every run anyway because every time I see him I freak out and blow him up. Which ironically enough doesn't happen with the mimic companion, just... the mule thing is always getting the loving jump on me and scaring me out of my wits and then he gets blown up. Fucker always acting like a damned corrupted operator and menacingly approaching me...

Thanks for this, though, I do think I'm gonna try that out, or at least self-impose some of these restrictions as a permanent thing on a second play through (like time delays can't be crafted and must be used immediately if found, at least)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 23, 2021

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Working through my first playthrough and trying to save everyone I can before I do a Typhon murder run; in my current save I've got mind controlled people that, no matter what I do, run into pipe flames and suicide before I can unlock the rec area and stun them. Does that count against you?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Some games who implement the "simple" solution also manage to do so in a way that is so bad there are actually egregious balance issues at pretty much every level, especially the hard ones, because lots of devs somehow either make the higher difficulties result in things being easier somehow past the first ten minutes, or confuse "hard" with "tedious" and the harder difficulties just make things more boring instead of harder.

Both of those are also a problem in skyrim-style RPGs, and the general lesson I take away from those games consistently loving every conceivable way to implement adjustable difficulty is that most RPG developers are actually exceptionally bad at designing good gameplay and have a very poor understanding of what makes things difficult or easy (which might well be part of why they are choosing a genre where being exceptionally bad at that particular thing isn't usually all that big a deal on account of genre conventions being "make skill and difficulty irrelevant and replace it instead with time investment")

Although you're right that there are also a lot of folks who whine about "I picked the hardest difficulty and it was hard", and there's a reason why "only offer harder difficulties to players who demonstrate they can handle harder difficulties and otherwise don't point out its adjustable" is a pretty common addition to the formula.

I like the way Control does it, which is "one well-tuned difficulty level that's a little on the hard side, plus a zillion options that can be individually used to make it easier", ranging from small boosts to "you don't take damage anymore".

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 23, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WebDO posted:

Working through my first playthrough and trying to save everyone I can before I do a Typhon murder run; in my current save I've got mind controlled people that, no matter what I do, run into pipe flames and suicide before I can unlock the rec area and stun them. Does that count against you?

It prevents you from getting the 'save everyone' achievement, but does NOT prevent you from getting the 'saved everyone' ending.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Pookah posted:

because Prey was pretty much the first game I'd played after a 10+ year hiatus from playing games.

You were in prison? Who did you kill?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

It prevents you from getting the 'save everyone' achievement, but does NOT prevent you from getting the 'saved everyone' ending.

I thought the save everyone achievement, like all of the collectaton achievements, had some leeway in them. I could be wrong.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I think my favourite "what the gently caress is going on with these difficulty levels" game is still Valkyrie Profile. On the easiest difficulty, new recruits join you at high levels and all the hardest dungeons are replaced with easier alternates...but the hardest dungeons also have the best items in them, and recruits joining you already leveled-up means you have no influence on their skill selection and can't use any of the "+X permanent bonus every level-up" items on them either. So on "easy" the game starts out pretty easy but rapidly gets quite difficult.

Meanwhile, on "hard", you get access to all the best items and characters, and since those characters join at level 1 you can also minmax their skill selections to your heart's content and give them bonus-on-level items that make an absolutely massive difference in power levels -- and since VP has a shared XP pool you can use to catch up underleveled characters instantly you don't even have to grind to bring them up to speed with the rest of the party. So "hard" is a bit harder in the very early game but by the midgame you'll be casually dropkicking bosses into Hell on turn one.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sounds like standard JRPG bignum gameplay to me.

-------

This isn't the thread for it but I know it has a lot of crossover, but for anyone who owns Deathloop does it look like it'll be getting longer legs somehow? I've heard bad things about it's difficulty.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

-------

This isn't the thread for it but I know it has a lot of crossover, but for anyone who owns Deathloop does it look like it'll be getting longer legs somehow? I've heard bad things about it's difficulty.

I found the reactive difficulty setting fairly effective in terms of slowly ramping up. AFAIK, every day that passes and every partial objective you accomplish raises enemy damage and observation. Partially or totally dying diminishes it. Overall I found it started easy and got to a fun place where i could clown but still have fun and a challenge.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's also not really a hard game, just like prey and dishonored. If you play it like an idiot you'll go down real quick, but mooks also die in a single headshot. Juliana will always be a threat (AI or human). If you use your skills, are quick on the draw, and use stealth to get into good positions the game isn't hard, just like other arkane games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it's legs are probably long enough, but these days seems a given for AAA releases to eventually get some kind of update or extra content. There's a lot of unanswered questions a lot of people kind of assumed would be answered in the end, but were just completely ignored. Might be room for DLC to look into that stuff eventually, but for now I got an enjoyable 33 hours out of it. For me where it got "too easy" was when I was still playing it like prey/dishonoured/deus-ex/system shock 2. Very slowly, thoroughly, sneakily, and carefully. You can easily kill all guards in a level without getting caught, you can even pick fights and go in guns blazing and clear em out pretty easily. I think where the challenge for me was in un-training my crabcrawl sneakemup style, and then learning when it's cool to be seen a little, when it's best to just quickly kill a little group, when to sneak, when to blinkdash. There's no incentive to be solid snake or for getting seen and you learn the limitations of the AI well enough to be able to turn them just into more level geometry obstacles essentially. It's at it's best once you're familiar with a level and can just sprint and dash your way exactly to where you need to go and how everything will react when you do it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Arkane give us your spiritual successor to Deus Ex next

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've been playing it quite a bit, so there's two design choices about the difficulty you should be aware of: First, it has adaptive difficulty and starts out with an extremely oblivious and easy AI. As you progress the main story line, they become tougher and more attentive, but never really great. I think it has some 4 or 5 levels, and if you die and respawn, or get looped completely, it eases off again.

Second, everything about the Eternalist mooks is balanced for the 1v1 PvP mode. If they were more of a threat and obstacle, or more perceptive, a skilled Julianna player would have an easy time trouncing Colt with their backup. Their main function is to call Colt's presence to your attention if he goes loud, serve as minor obstacles and trail of breadcrumbs when Colt eliminates them silently, or turn ghosting into a legitimate fun way to play PvP, so Julianna cannot tell where you've been by noticing any missing enemies.

Playing only single player mode will never be a challenge, and mostly serves to learn the map layouts, but if you turn invasions on, you have a sort of 1v1 stealth Left 4 Dead. I've been enjoying it immensely, and I usually don't have any interest in competitive multiplayer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Most JRPGs don't even have a difficulty setting, and the ones that do it's generally just enemies do more/less damage or have more/less health or, sometimes, nastier AI/special moves; "different difficulty settings gate dramatically different sets of content and the 'hard' difficulty is actually the easiest by a huge margin" is fairly unusual.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm enjoying my second playthrough of Prey right now which is Typhon mods only with the Survival options on. Also I'm trying to find everybody and kill the ones still standing. However, being unable to increase my inventory size is grating a bit. Especially because I'm running low on minerals and I barely have room for stuff I could break down in the material recyclers.

So I'm wondering, does the escape pod ending count for the point of achievements? That way I could finish my Typhon mods only run a bit earlier and then just reload the save to get some bigger pants and continue on.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The solution is to just stop caring about achievements and be freeeeeeee