Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Squashing Machine posted:

So it's been a while since my first successful rocket playthrough, and I'm getting the itch again. Would the goon recommendation for a second playthrough be to go for the fast launch achievements or start in on something like Space Exploration? I tend to drop out when things get too complex but I wouldn't mind the game going longer after that first launch.

If you don't like the game getting too complex you're not gonna like space exploration. The space sciences require automated interplanetary logistics, have feedback loops, lots of liquid requirements, and also the guy that makes it decided challenge is just taking poo poo away like "having production modules in space" (really just because he doesn't want anybody messing with his perfect feedback loops!!!!) or "having underground pipes in space" (underground belts are fine because ????) and everything builds on the last level and so on. It's pretty fun if you're into it but if you're not it'll just be a slog. Plus, like you said, it only starts happening once you launch a rocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So it's been a while since my first successful rocket playthrough, and I'm getting the itch again. Would the goon recommendation for a second playthrough be to go for the fast launch achievements or start in on something like Space Exploration? I tend to drop out when things get too complex but I wouldn't mind the game going longer after that first launch.

It might not be your jam, but death world is a fun challenge after you've already done a rocket launch.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That’s all accurate except I for sure was able to build and use Space Pipe Undergrounds.

What’s bullshit about them is that they have like a four or five tile range. It’s the same as the Space Conveyor Undergrounds, I think. This was like the end of last summer maybe?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not like you're ever going to use the space conveyors, unless you're an absolute masochist trying to do a no-bots space exploration.

Practically everything you're trying to move around in space is either a fluid, or something incredibly resource-dense that you only need like two copies of every 10 seconds.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sounds like you want the Krastorio 2 mod. It adds some extra stuff to the base game, along with a significant but not too huge post-rocket phase, without being too complex.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I would just do a vanilla with some QoL mods, but either a deathworld or railworld (or one, then the other). Both give you half-decent reasons to keep pushing endgame tech - deathworld for more shooty shoots, and railworld for mostly mining productivity (bot speed is also nice in either). The "Quality of Life Research" mod is pretty good with this too, there's infinite techs for movement speed, reach, inventory size, etc. so plenty of things to keep playing for after launching a rocket, many of which are useful in an endgame of either mode.

Once you've explored the endgame a bit you can start messing around with mods that change the gameplay or just go for a challenge base (achievements, 1k spm, expensive mode, expensive techs, or make up your own challenge). Other ideas: no logistic bots (also an achievement), yellow belt only base (can actually be easier in some ways, good for learning how to plan out lots of space with builds), mega bus, no bus. No belt? Also lazy bastard is another achievement that is also a good challenge to try, once.

I wouldn't recommend it for a second playthrough, but once you've played a bunch of games the random recipes mod is great for shaking things up. Three-to-two green chips gets boring after you've done it 40 times.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Jabor posted:

It's not like you're ever going to use the space conveyors, unless you're an absolute masochist trying to do a no-bots space exploration.

Practically everything you're trying to move around in space is either a fluid, or something incredibly resource-dense that you only need like two copies of every 10 seconds.

>.> did I land on the platform carrying more space belt than I ever used?! Yes.

Did I still use the gently caress out of it for the first build-outs?! Also yes. Once I had worked out the supercoolant meta the builds started looking a lot different

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Roflex posted:

Also lazy bastard is another achievement that is also a good challenge to try, once.

Seconding this, I had a great time doing a lazy bastard run.

I don't like restarting, I just like expanding my old base. Taking ever more land from the bugs and exploiting the gently caress out of the resources. Building more and more facilities, enhancing the efficiency of what I already built.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m getting pretty close to my first rocket too. I feel like haven’t used a lot of the tech though. Didn’t even touch wiring or whatever the robots do. Turned off bugs a long time ago.

I would just pick the cheapest new tech and let it run and by the time I’ve run around putting out bottleneck fires or setting up something new, I’ve got 5 things researched that I didn’t even read what they do.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

We did it boys :toot:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Delightfully delicious spaghetti. Love it.

E: I just noticed the rail paths. Oh my gods that's beautiful.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Nice job, I kept getting sidetracked and didn't manage to launch my first rocket until about 80 hours. Great base, very thoughtful and nice problem solving. Underground blue-belt network jumps out, lookin' good!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Teledahn posted:

Delightfully delicious spaghetti. Love it.

E: I just noticed the rail paths. Oh my gods that's beautiful.

The train drivers should thank me that they even got signals at intersections. You go to one place, you pick up your one item, you come back, unload and don’t complain :colbert:

palindrome posted:

Nice job, I kept getting sidetracked and didn't manage to launch my first rocket until about 80 hours. Great base, very thoughtful and nice problem solving. Underground blue-belt network jumps out, lookin' good!

My main problem was that I’d run a long belt of things and whatever needed that thing would take it off it, but by the time it got to the end there wasn’t enough left. My problem solving was to try and just overwhelm everything with brute force by shoving as much stuff onto the belt as possible.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Got Lazy Bastard after about 41 hours last night. Felt good to finally finish it.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Sounds like you want the Krastorio 2 mod. It adds some extra stuff to the base game, along with a significant but not too huge post-rocket phase, without being too complex.

Krasterio is really great if you like designing assembly lines; essentially, K2 adds 1 new input/intermediate (often fluids(!)) to all of the recipes, so you'll have to re-design/re-optimize everything. It's probably less of a logistics/raw material/train system challenge than a similar sized base in vanilla.

My one tip is to not over-invest / over-scale early science lines.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Thanks for the advice, all. I fired up a save of both Space Exploration and Krastorio 2, and found myself liking the relatively slight bump in the early-game complexity of SE a bit better than Krastorio's, but I'm sure I'll be giving it another shot before long.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I tried a bit of Bobs and it was too much. Maybe I’ll just do regular again until I can finally find another game

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I've been playing the last couple of games using both Krastorio 2 and the Space Exploration mods together. Ended up getting to another planet on my first playthrough and setting up a production chain for one of the new materials but realized my base on Nauvis wasn't really producing enough and didn't want to redo the whole thing. They work pretty well together and Krastorio 2 tech requirements change to need space science from the space exploration mod. There are annoying things about both mods like radiation damage from Krastorio and robot attrition in space exploration.

If you are playing space exploration bring up as much space scaffolding as you can on the first time up though, you gotta build it before you can even place buildings in space. Also get used to barreling fluids if you haven't ever before, that's how you send stuff everywhere in space. Space exploration requires alien biomes too, I had to get nanobots to clear land because there are an insane amount of rocks everywhere.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I finally got back to the game and "finished" my 2700spm base.

It's not really finished as it's falling slightly short of target at a couple of the science production areas, but I fixed the worst of them. Space science is finally running the 3 rockets at max cycle speed, and I had to do some interesting spaghetti weaving and additions to parts of the production cycles to achieve that. I somehow completely screwed up in my calculations for how much of a couple items I needed which was bottle-necking the heck out of things.

It's an odd 'mega-base' in that it doesn't really feel very mega because each individual build is so spread out. The space science build is pretty huge, but all of the builds are dwarfed by the 45GW solar array that is built around the 'build-everything' hub area.

Here is a very large map overview of the base. Not cool looking like the ones you see on YT base tours for sure.

Here you can see that it needs a bit of work to stabilize at a full 2700spm, but it's still a LOT bigger than the previous largest 1000spm base I did, and I used someone else's blueprints for that one.

Here is a closer view of the 'hub' and the massive solar array.

A view of the science lab setup with the train drop-offs. This is cut in half or more from the original build, as the lab calculator I found was WAY off, and it was eating almost 6000spm originally. Even now it is eating well over 3000spm which is why the consumption chart looks so wonky above, as it's running out of bottles between trains.

The rocket launchers doing their thing. This was pre-tweaking the build, and they are now launching steadily at about 70 seconds per rocket per launcher (so 3 per 70 seconds approximately).

The Space Science build after tweaking. It sill has issues, primarily with petroleum. I have plenty of capacity but having a hard time forcing enough product through the pipes where it's needed. If I was going to re-design this I would move a lot of the oil-products to coal liquefaction and build the liquefaction plants into the local product modules I think. The other solution that would be better than what I did would be to break the oil stuff down into modules specifically designed to supply only a single module, instead of the one huge oil refinery setup I used.

The incredibly busy rail stations bringing the raw materials into the Space Science build. The top is nothing but copper ore inbound (for oil I ended up tapping a very rich patch that is so close it's not using the trains - I kept the unloading station to use in the future if the patch runs out and I'm still messing with this factory) and as you can see it's running on the ragged edge of running out of waiting trains. I should probably open up another mining station and assign 6 more trains to that.

All the individual science builds were done pretty much on the fly without any pre-planning other than using the Factory Planner mod so that I knew how many assemblers I would need for each thing (including how many furnaces worth of raw materials smelting) so they aren't pretty like the stuff people usually post on YouTube, but they get the job done, mostly.

If anyone wants non-map screenshots of anything, let me know. Almost everything is so big that I'd need to do a console screenshot command to capture stuff, and because of how spread out it is, I just didn't do it.

Glad I finally finished this, it's probably the 6th or 7th time I've started a game with the goal of a 'mega base', but it's the first time I had an actual SPM goal and a 'concept' of how I wanted to build (i.e. the discreet rail lines and isolated raw materials to each science build), and that along with not overcomplicating it with mods like K2 or something allowed me to finally see the goal pretty much achieved.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Heck yeah, congratulations on finishing that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks... I went back to the factory and let it run for a few hours trying to figure out where the issues were in the builds that weren't hitting the target numbers.

What I learned from this build is that a single stack inserter for some reason allows the assemblers to sometimes 'go dry' and it takes a few ticks for it to start filling the assembler up again. Also on high volume inputs even two stack inserters can't keep an assembler running 100% of the time when fully beaconed like this and they 'flicker' as the assemblers aren't always providing enough materials on time. I went to direct loader input in a couple of builds that had the space for it, and this instantly fixed the flickering, but most of the builds don't have the room for loader input for each item.

In the end, the lesson I'm taking away is to make sure that each sub-build is overbuilt more than I allowed to provide some slack for the inconsistency of the inserters. For example my Low Density Structure build for yellow science -- the science packs want 13.76 per second, and my LDS build calculates out to produce 13.88. This is not enough buffer as the flickering and downtimes of the individual assemblers adds up to enough that the demand exceeds the supply.

If I do something on this scale again, I'll probably shoot for a 5-10% overbuild in each supply step to compensate for this sort of thing. I considered fixing this one, but the yellow science simply doesn't have the room to fix a couple of the modules without pretty much tearing out the entire build and respacing everything.

In the end I'm calling this done, and while the new section doesn't hit a full 2700 spm, the original base is still fully functional if I were to turn it back on, and that would add it's 150 SPM and push the base beyond the target, so technically I win. :D

I definitely learned a lot, so hopefully in a few months when the siren's call of the factory pulls me back in for a new project, I'll remember at least part of the lessons!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

This loud Australian man has posted the highlights for a (still ongoing, apparently) heavily modded playthrough of Factorio. I enjoy this sort of content. Maybe you will too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZcqJb5qHrU

More importantly, it has gotten me to play Factorio again, which is always dangerous for me because I tend to open the game, put on some noise in the background (usually a youtube playlist), and then look up half an hour later to discover that nine hours have passed.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Did they ever apologize, or even walk back their bullshit from a while back? I couldn't find anything that indicated they did, but that's killed any desire for me to play anymore. And there's nothing else with really the same feel of simplicity and infinite expansion, always something limiting.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

Did they ever apologize, or even walk back their bullshit from a while back? I couldn't find anything that indicated they did, but that's killed any desire for me to play anymore. And there's nothing else with really the same feel of simplicity and infinite expansion, always something limiting.

In my experience once someone starts posting about being a transphobe in the clear, they will never post normally again and this doesn’t seem to be an exception

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Slickdrac posted:

Nope, not one bit. I wouldn't really expect them to, either.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Is the SpaceX mod still the one that has like 55 incompatibilities that the author claims breaks his vision? Been thinking about the multiplanetary thing but would want something like Angels Petrochem to go along with it.

Theres gotta be some similar mod that isn't controlled by some manchild.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Space Exploration, and yeah, at most he's climbed down rhetorically to "feel free to manually edit the mod to remove it for your own uses, but it's totally untested and I won't help you with any problems caused"

SpaceEx is an older mod where you launch a load more stuff into space using teh standard rocket silo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'd sooner die than try to maintain compatibility with 55 other random mods for free, IDK what the problem is with simply saying that you don't feel like doing this patently unreasonable thing

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'd sooner die than try to maintain compatibility with 55 other random mods for free, IDK what the problem is with simply saying that you don't feel like doing this patently unreasonable thing

The mods in question for the most part work perfectly well with his mod, they just undo things that he has done or find a way around it. It's not about technical issues he just marks them as incompatible to try to force people not to use them

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yeah among other things he throws an error if you have a mod with "teleport" in the name. Doesn't matter what it does, just that His Vision doesn't include teleporters, so gently caress you.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

As mentioned, the thing he is doing is not 'maintaining compatibility' but explicitly coded incompatibility. His mod suite scans other active mods and fails if any are on his personal blacklist. Or just keywords from it too.

He's apparently collaborating with the dev team as an artist too, which is fair since his mod assets do look nice, but one can hope that's all they collaborate on.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

When you guys say Space Exploration, you mean this one correct?

Also, kind of related and unrelated, anyone got a good up to date list of recommended mods.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Back Hack posted:

When you guys say Space Exploration, you mean this one correct?

Also, kind of related and unrelated, anyone got a good up to date list of recommended mods.

Yeah, that's the mod.

As for recommended mods, I'll give some of my own that don't change the game a shitload and just do simple QoL poo poo:

Afraid of the Dark (I just loathe night in this game because it makes the game impossibly annoying for me)
Bottleneck (lights up production machines, green=all normal, yellow=output blocked, red=input insufficient)
Even Distribution (evenly divides items across buildings/storage, it just makes drag clicking materials across a number of machines a lot easier)
Explosive Termites (gets rid of :argh: those god drat trees :argh: en masse if you don't want to burn them down or tank crush them yourself)
FNEI (lets you search items/fluids to see what makes them and what you can use them for)
Gizmos Car Keys (improved) (I lose my car a lot because I'm a dumb rear end)
Inbuilt Lighting (I crank this to max, see Afraid of the Dark)
Max Rate Calculator (determines how many units of something you need to output things at 100%)
P.U.M.P. (I'm very frequently annoyed by manually placing pumpjacks and pipes, this makes things much quicker and doesn't require me to do weird hacks with blueprints)
Picker Pipe Tools (I use the orphan stuff so I get a reminder and don't just forget to finish an underground pipe/belt thus causing my entire factory to go up in smoke or be mildly inconvenienced :v:
Squeak Through (lets you go between pipes and buildings and etc. etc. it just makes the game much simpler when i dont have to give a poo poo about trapping myself inside my own base, which I have done multiple times)

And of course, lest I be manhandled by the thread, the thread favorite mod is:

Honk (train make honk noise)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
to be fair to the space exploration guy, on top of the "maintaining compatibility with 55 other mods sounds awful" thing, a lot of the big production mods like angel's petrochem stand a good chance of messing with stuff in the space construction phase of the game that you don't reach for like tens of hours lol so you could really screw yourself over and not know it until you actually get there. to be not fair to him, the teleport thing is insanely stupid and so is blocking things like yuoki. grow up, guy

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Aside from Honk the mods I refuse to play without are Auto Research (especially if using a mod that adds a bunch of techs) and Disco Science.

e: I think it's also worth noting regarding the complexity of making space exploration work with the other large mods that pretty much every other combination of big mods has fan mods made to make things work together (I have one of these, even). But those work because nobody else sets things as explicitly not compatible except maybe to make you upgrade an old version of another mod, as opposed to "this never works, ever" like SE uses. The only other mod I've seen be that aggressive is Industrial Revolution, which has the infuriating trait of manually throwing load errors on stage 2 of 3 without letting anybody else have a chance to fix whatever happened vs. letting the game itself figure out there's a problem after all mods are done stage 3.

power crystals fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 22, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lots of modders in lots of games do not understand the irony of modifying someone else's vision and then demanding nobody do the same to theirs.

See also Assetto Corsa, where the most popular mod loader has added the ability to encrypt your mod because man-children couldn't stop complaining about people modifying their mods.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

KillHour posted:

Lots of modders in lots of games do not understand the irony of modifying someone else's vision and then demanding nobody do the same to theirs.

See also Assetto Corsa, where the most popular mod loader has added the ability to encrypt your mod because man-children couldn't stop complaining about people modifying their mods.
I think Nexusmods recently instituted a policy of not letting people pull down their mods or something in response of people taking their ball and going home when they got annoyed that someone decided to pick up their work.

I also think a lot of the debacles around monetizing mods are kind of funny. (In so much when devs say no.) I don't really want to downplay the work people put in, and understand wanting to get paid for work, but it really makes for a worse environment when you let people charge for mods and only further fuels people being protective of their mods & discourage collaboration and interworking.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

power crystals posted:

Yeah among other things he throws an error if you have a mod with "teleport" in the name. Doesn't matter what it does, just that His Vision doesn't include teleporters, so gently caress you.

Not to disagree with this (I've seen some chatter in their discord that ended with this kinda statement from him), but he does allow this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Teleporters. It ends up locked behind DSS4 but you can just cheat-research it (in one of my games I did that after DSS1). It's not perfect since there are some bugs when teleporters are on spaceships (the labels are left behind), but it works well otherwise.

There was another teleporter mod that I normally use that I forced to be compatible via messing with SE and it crashed, so while I dunno anything about it I could believe that it might actually be annoying to try to stay compatible with different types of teleporter mods.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

power crystals posted:

lmao well okay then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I know nothing about modding but how difficult would it be to take the space exploration mod and just make a 'space exploration without the bullshit' mod?