Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Evergrande is now controlled by chinese government, or will be by the end of the week

https://asiamarkets.com/imminent-china-evergrande-deal-will-see-ccp-take-control/
Does the default still happen if the takeover occurs first? Rather, is this a Fannie Freddie domino scenario for Chinese industries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is all deposits by Chinese nationals under $100,000 usd are honored, jp morgan and blackrock will be told to pound sand. But I'm no professional Chinese too big to fail regulator

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Number go up? All my poo poo is magically up 5% in pre market

Don't worry, FOMC is today so there's still a chance that everything can go back in the shitter. Have faith

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

Number go up? All my poo poo is magically up 5% in pre market

You should probably look into how futures work.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

For anyone investing in Canadian stonks, I wish to inform you that Royal Bank of Canada will get fuckity hosed if Evergrande defaults tomorrow.
(As will HSBC for Euro stonks especially)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Do you think the US will default on it's loans this month, provided that's what the GOP wants and almost got to do back in 2013?

no one wants that, this is a dumb game they play anytime there's a dem president. everyone will vote to raise the debt ceiling at the 11th hour, even if it means the dems give the GOP whatever they want, which will probably happen

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

$GOON went up 9% which means it will plummet 90% tomorrow right

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Has anyone else bought some cheap way OTM SPY puts as debt ceiling lol hedges?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Monthly micro-panic over already?

PoppingFresh
Aug 18, 2004

It must be the shoes...
I came across this short article about retail trader activity and it reminded me about a convo from a while ago where Pmchem was talking about retail trading and what would happen when the liquidity / interest started to die off.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3740929-the-retail-trading-frenzy-may-have-plateaud

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Today was so green I'm back to negative double digits.

Time for tomorrow to be a day they discuss in history classes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Grouchio posted:

For anyone investing in Canadian stonks, I wish to inform you that Royal Bank of Canada will get fuckity hosed if Evergrande defaults tomorrow.
(As will HSBC for Euro stonks especially)

I will laugh if this is what leads to the Canadian real estate appreciation to unravel.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Post up your best international long term funds. I'm debating adding some into one of my long term accounts (tax advantaged if that matters).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Subvisual Haze posted:

What are you talking about? Evergrande's default is tomorrow

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Yeah but thats priced in.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

tangy yet delightful posted:

Post up your best international long term funds. I'm debating adding some into one of my long term accounts (tax advantaged if that matters).
excuse me this is the gambling thread where we buy weed ETFs and liver ultrasound stocks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CHIU hasn't let me down yet :sweatdrop:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Grouchio posted:

What are you talking about? Evergrande's default is tomorrow

I'd assume that there isn't a lot of broad market exposure to their bonds.

Also:

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Yeah but thats priced in.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Syrinxx posted:

excuse me this is the gambling thread where we buy weed ETFs and liver ultrasound stocks

How did you get access to my portfolio

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I rebalanced my fun money again for the nth time in as many weeks, pulled everything out of SPY last Thursday, currently

60% SOFI (up 12% today)
4% RYCEY (up 10%)
4% liver ultrasound
3% AJRD
1% XERS

Tiny bit DHI, KBH, and then the balance being BND, VNQ, MUFG

Weed stocks are too rich for my blood

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hadlock posted:

I rebalanced my fun money again for the nth time in as many weeks, pulled everything out of SPY last Thursday, currently

60% SOFI (up 12% today)
4% RYCEY (up 10%)
4% liver ultrasound
3% AJRD
1% XERS

Tiny bit DHI, KBH, and then the balance being BND, VNQ, MUFG

Weed stocks are too rich for my blood

You had your fun money in SPY? That's not very fun!!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's fun when it's returning 5%+ per month

That's a better rate of return than Evergrande was offering two weeks ago

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is it possible we might finally get a market correction but not through a market crash but through inflation? Is there some metric that measures "net stock prices", i. e. stock prices with inflation substracted?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

GABA ghoul posted:

Is it possible we might finally get a market correction but not through a market crash but through inflation? Is there some metric that measures "net stock prices", i. e. stock prices with inflation substracted?

There's all sorts of things like this:

https://www.multpl.com/inflation-adjusted-s-p-500/table/by-month

Measuring long term inflation is fraught though. US government has done 2 major revisions to how inflation is measured. You go pretty deep into what's either crackpot or see-er of truth territory if you go down those rabbit holes. John Williams of shadowstats is one such person and calculates inflation using old government methods.

For very long time horizons probably the easiest measure is the Dow to gold ratio but that's pretty rough too because the way the Dow is calculated is pretty goofy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Subvisual Haze posted:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
How the gently caress is SPY almost back to 445 already? That is bonkers.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Manip

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Purestrain bull delusions

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There were a high amount of puts open, people closed them at the bottom. This meant that if the other side of that trade is an MM they are delta hedging by shorting SPY. So when they close it the MM covers, buying SPY back and pocking the difference between their hedging and premium and the person with the put they just sold may double down and go long further adding buying pressure and making more people more likely to let go of puts. As we go up the MM doesn't need as large a hedge so they start covering their shorts that hedge the put. So even if it expires worthless that put is now fuel to make number go back up.

the put:call was over 1.0 which is pretty drat high. (it's down to 0.8 but we opened at 0.6 so more puts have been loaded but still less than yesterday).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

John Williams of shadowstats is one such person and calculates inflation using old government methods.
No, he very clearly just makes his numbers up out of nothing (or by adding a offset with some variance to the official number)

It should be very self evident that the US has not been experiencing 10% annual inflation for the last 20 years. poo poo compounds, and there are no prices that are 6x 2000 levels. (or with his lower ~6% estimate, even 3x 2000 price levels)

Not even lol healthcare or education (which ~doubled in that timeframe iirc)

Now it might be an interesting exercise to actually do what he claims to do, but he ain't it.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 23, 2021

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

lurksion posted:

No, he very clearly just makes his numbers up out of nothing (or by adding a offset with some variance to the official number)

It should be very self evident that the US has not been experiencing 10% annual inflation for the last 20 years. poo poo compounds, and there are no prices that are 6x 2000 levels. (or with his lower ~6% estimate, even 3x 2000 price levels)

Not even lol healthcare or education (which ~doubled in that timeframe iirc)

Now it might be an interesting exercise to actually do what he claims to do, but he ain't it.

I was trying to write that as neutrally as possible and still left room. Should have put in a "purports to." I only know of him because he gets mentioned by other people. Not endorsing him.

My point is just there's not really an accurate and precise measure of inflation over periods longer much longer than a business cycle so doing a stock market to inflation comparison is always going to be rough.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

That's the problem though, inflation prices into many stocks, because the companies themselves can theoretically adjust their own prices to match inflation. Inflation hurts stock value much less than standard alternatives (bonds and cash are being eaten alive by low rates + inflation).

Inflation is more a danger to the actual economy and growth itself but not necessarily to stock market value.

Although, honestly nobody has any clue what the future holds. We're in very uncharted territory economically with global low interest rates and high inflation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I buy a leap today for April 2024, in 2021 and I sell it after October 2022, it's taxed at long term capital gains right? Year and a day etc. That seems to be what I've read so far

Also, I'm guessing that they explicitly disallow writing off option costs as a business expense when you exercise the option, even if you claim day trader status?

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Prior to the market uptick recently, what the hell is going on with Chinese stocks this month? There's been days where everything's red on my watchlist but companies that are well known going to get slammed by Xi and the CCP like Didi are green? Xi wants Chinese companies off the US market, I can understand behemoths like BABA holding through, but going off the top of my head, I saw tremendous amounts of days of gain and green this past month on, I think the ticker is TEM or TSM, which the description my brokerage provides as a Chinese-based foreign language education within China (so not teaching Mandarin), when Xi has killed this entire sector practically this past months almost overnight with long-standing English schools, the practically to "teach English in China" being non-existent where those who were teaching are doing it under the table privately with families which Xi made illegal a week or so later, taking other "white monkey" jobs that are fewer and far between or just flat out leaving China. Maybe I'm bitter about losing a lot on BABA when the CCP hit Jack Ma and ANT Group hard right before earnings, but it makes no sense that sinking ship companies in a country that is turning more isolationist are going up to me, especially foreign language education which took a hard crackdown by the CCP this past month. The only stock I see benefiting outright from CCP is NIO since Tesla is popular but they literally pull over Teslas in major tier cities "for inspection" because Xi doesn't want Chinese people owning Teslas. He saw the mistake he let Apple take over the phone market with iPhones in China whereas he wants Huawei and other Chinese makers to flourish, so he's trying to push out any foreign new tech or at least cause mass inconvenience by having Tesla drivers constantly pulled over by police that it forms a loving queue just to delay them over an "inspection" to dissuade people from buying them.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 23, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hadlock posted:

If I buy a leap today for April 2024, in 2021 and I sell it after October 2022, it's taxed at long term capital gains right? Year and a day etc. That seems to be what I've read so far

Also, I'm guessing that they explicitly disallow writing off option costs as a business expense when you exercise the option, even if you claim day trader status?

Don't exercise a leap! At the very least sell it and buy a weekly for the same strike exercise that and pocket the $1000 or so difference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Subvisual Haze posted:

That's the problem though, inflation prices into many stocks, because the companies themselves can theoretically adjust their own prices to match inflation. Inflation hurts stock value much less than standard alternatives (bonds and cash are being eaten alive by low rates + inflation).

Inflation is more a danger to the actual economy and growth itself but not necessarily to stock market value.

Although, honestly nobody has any clue what the future holds. We're in very uncharted territory economically with global low interest rates and high inflation.

So buy a bunch of VTIP?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I love you, RYCEY

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Red posted:

So buy a bunch of VTIP?

buy spy, vti, voo, qqq, goog, DHR or whatever not vtip

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Red posted:

So buy a bunch of VTIP?

They're the only bonds I hold (not a lot). A problem is that the price of bonds is inversely related to interest rates, so if future interest rates go up relative to now (likely but not guaranteed), the bonds would decrease in face value. So while VTIP does negate the sting of inflation relative to other bonds, it would still be expected to decrease in value if future interest rates are raised. I do think they're the best bond option right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Today is going to be an interesting day.