Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orions Lord posted:

I asked for a refund FS2020 is killing my brand new pc.

I am to old to spend days solving this crap.

Huh? What issues are you running into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Huh? What issues are you running into?

Crash to desktop and instant compleet shutdowns.

I did all of this https://thedroidguy.com/fix-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-crashing-1137821

Sometimes it works for a hour then it quits on me.

Als I removed everything from this community folder (out of my head I am at work).
It makes it more stabile but it still crashes.

Got a 32mb 3070Ti pc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orions Lord posted:

Crash to desktop and instant compleet shutdowns.

I did all of this https://thedroidguy.com/fix-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-crashing-1137821

Sometimes it works for a hour then it quits on me.

Als I removed everything from this community folder (out of my head I am at work).
It makes it more stabile but it still crashes.

Got a 32mb 3070Ti pc.

Instant shutdowns during gameplay sounds like a hardware issue, power-related most likely. It's possible that the 3070 Ti is trying to draw more power than your power supply can handle, and your power supply is shutting down as a result. I've also seen this happen with an issue as simple as a loose power cable somewhere in the PC. It's happening in Flight Simulator because it's a demanding game that can push PCs hard. If so, that wouldn't necessarily be a problem with the game, and this problem could reappear with another game down the line if you don't get it resolved, so I would definitely look into it.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Instant shutdowns during gameplay sounds like a hardware issue, power-related most likely. It's possible that the 3070 Ti is trying to draw more power than your power supply can handle, and your power supply is shutting down as a result. I've also seen this happen with an issue as simple as a loose power cable somewhere in the PC. It's happening in Flight Simulator because it's a demanding game that can push PCs hard. If so, that wouldn't necessarily be a problem with the game, and this problem could reappear with another game down the line if you don't get it resolved, so I would definitely look into it.

Thanks I have 750 watt, I will check this out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

750 watts should be sufficient. I would reseat your graphics card (and maybe your other components too for good measure) and double check every power cable. Make sure everything is fully clipped in and nothing is loose. I ran into a very similar problem once due to the +2 in a 6+2 power cable coming loose (gotta make sure it's properly hooked into the main 6-pin connector).

I'm not fully ruling out the possibility that it's the game itself that's crashing and taking your PC with it, but instant shutdowns really strike me as something hardware related, and it's manifesting in flight simulator due to how demanding it is.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I was also getting crashes and hard system resets in the sim (and also not in the sim). Check Event Viewer for possible hints, in my case there were WHEA errors pointing directly to my CPU as the culprit. That has since been replaced and all is well.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rebuilt my pc recently after constant crashes with a 3080/750w - the gpu had been connected with a splitter from both its plugs to one psu hole. Changed it to separate cables/holes and that seemed to fix it.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

I was also getting crashes and hard system resets in the sim (and also not in the sim). Check Event Viewer for possible hints, in my case there were WHEA errors pointing directly to my CPU as the culprit. That has since been replaced and all is well.

Did that and it has a lot of Kernel power crashes I thought code 41 or so.

Maybe I can lower the power use with msi afterburner?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Those crashes are very difficult to diagnose. You might want to head over to one of the specialized hardware threads to get help with sussing out the root cause.

Some other items:
- are the temps of your hardware in an okay range?
- run tests in your ram. Run memtest for a night or two, run with only one stick in a different slot, see if problems still occur
- update your bios and drivers (duh) and set your bios to factory settings
- CPUs, as I learned below, can be stabilized with added voltage
- can you borrow a confirmed working power supply?

Unless your PC is a decade old, it's imo a good investment for your time to try to narrow down the root cause if your problem.

In my case, the AMD thread solved my problem. My CPU had developed defects, probably because the water cooler failed and let it cook, and so its voltage needed to be raised slightly to prevent it from becoming unstable. And voila, not a crash since.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh and get your hands on a live Linux USB. Sometimes that's useful for ruling out things but it's good to have for system repairs anyway

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did you build your PC or is it a pre-built?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

what's the next best thing from onair?

me and a few friends tried it during the initial hay-day but I lost focus pretty quickly on it, plus not everyone can afford the fee

we all enjoy the company aspect and working towards goals, in a team environment, but not sure what else is out there

I've heard of Neofly as being a possible candidate?

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
NeoFly seems like the obvious thing to try. It's the go to recommendation for career mode/get me to some new airports gameplay. It has multiplayer but I haven't seen anyone here discuss how well it works. And it's free so no reason not to give it a shot.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

NeoFly also has some funky mission types, like Wildfire fighting, Search And Rescue, Interceptor... genuinely adds some variety to the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Neofly's company management aspect is heavily simplified from OnAir, and I think the multiplayer is limited to just multiplayer missions. The only other thing that's like OnAir in that regard is FSE, but FSE is even less approachable than OnAir, with a web-only interface that's 100% tables and spreadsheets.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Neofly's company management aspect is heavily simplified from OnAir, and I think the multiplayer is limited to just multiplayer missions. The only other thing that's like OnAir in that regard is FSE, but FSE is even less approachable than OnAir, with a web-only interface that's 100% tables and spreadsheets.

Yeah I did some FsE back in the day and it’s hot garbage compared to on air in that respect

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

Those crashes are very difficult to diagnose. You might want to head over to one of the specialized hardware threads to get help with sussing out the root cause.

Some other items:
- are the temps of your hardware in an okay range?
- run tests in your ram. Run memtest for a night or two, run with only one stick in a different slot, see if problems still occur
- update your bios and drivers (duh) and set your bios to factory settings
- CPUs, as I learned below, can be stabilized with added voltage
- can you borrow a confirmed working power supply?

Unless your PC is a decade old, it's imo a good investment for your time to try to narrow down the root cause if your problem.

In my case, the AMD thread solved my problem. My CPU had developed defects, probably because the water cooler failed and let it cook, and so its voltage needed to be raised slightly to prevent it from becoming unstable. And voila, not a crash since.

What I did not mentioned is that I stretched the game over 3 monitors.

I used it on only one and now it seems to be oke.

I will run the tests anyway...

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Orions Lord posted:

What I did not mentioned is that I stretched the game over 3 monitors.

I used it on only one and now it seems to be oke.

I will run the tests anyway...

def sounds heat or power related, but if thats the case don't newer chipsets say something like ~~heat max exceeded~~ on next startup? maybe you can enable verbose logging in the BIOS...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nuts and Gum posted:

def sounds heat or power related, but if thats the case don't newer chipsets say something like ~~heat max exceeded~~ on next startup? maybe you can enable verbose logging in the BIOS...
Thats gonna depend if it is a heat trip, or a trip on heat related side effects. For example I can't use XMP without constant volt exceptions which are most likely a heat side effect because my power supply and mobo are bulletproof otherwise (optionally a bad batch I should RMA but :effort: and it really is in a stupid hot spot of the case). In other words it might be volt limiting out but due to heat issues if the power supply is otherwise quality.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so hey in neofly can I transport an airplane to a spesific airport somehow, if I click connect and fly I get a warning about selecting a mission.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

tater_salad posted:

so hey in neofly can I transport an airplane to a spesific airport somehow, if I click connect and fly I get a warning about selecting a mission.

Yeah, if you go to your hangar and right click on the airplane there should be an options to "Bring to pilot location". You pay a bit of cash and it'll move to wherever your pilot is.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, if you go to your hangar and right click on the airplane there should be an options to "Bring to pilot location". You pay a bit of cash and it'll move to wherever your pilot is.

I'm at the same spot as my plane.

edit: now I see it, there's a "set pilot position to" and you can click "fly" and fly there

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 22, 2021

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
You can move the pilot using the "Pay" button and then do the "Bring plane to pilot" thing.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I returned TrackIR and set up the iphone Face Tracker app ($2) + OpenTrack. Works well enough for FS2020 but the lag and loss of track makes it pretty iffy for DCS where you need consistent, low-latency response.

A friend and I are going to make a wireless IMU-based tracker for fun and have a few approaches to resolve issues like drift. We saw that EDTracker existed, did anyone here use it & have experiences?

e: V we have a few ideas on how to mitigate it. we just dont know how effectively they'll work in this application, part of why we want to try for fun.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 23, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

guidoanselmi posted:

I returned TrackIR and set up the iphone Face Tracker app ($2) + OpenTrack. Works well enough for FS2020 but the lag and loss of track makes it pretty iffy for DCS where you need consistent, low-latency response.

A friend and I are going to make a wireless IMU-based tracker for fun and have a few approaches to resolve issues like drift. We saw that EDTracker existed, did anyone here use it & have experiences?

I don't want to poo poo on your idea or anything, but there's a reason why every VR headset uses some sort of external tracker or a camera to track the environment. If you're ok with constantly hitting the reset center button, it will probably be fine, but I don't know if IMU drift is a solvable problem without another form of tracking to keep it centered.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't want to poo poo on your idea or anything, but there's a reason why every VR headset uses some sort of external tracker or a camera to track the environment. If you're ok with constantly hitting the reset center button, it will probably be fine, but I don't know if IMU drift is a solvable problem without another form of tracking to keep it centered.

easy just have three part 121 aircraft grade gyros built into the headset

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

easy just have three part 121 aircraft grade gyros built into the headset

Surely you jest…

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The high-frequency military GPS signal apparently gets down to sub-centimeter accuracy so I say use that. All the specs are publicly known, so all you gotta do is work out the encryption code.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So earlier I reported that with the Working Title CJ4 my fps had dropped to 10 during a very long flight. This is also now happening with the stock Dreamliner. The flight wasn't very long but I used teleport to skip a few thousand milse ahead. So maybe it's got something to do with terrain?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/twinfinite/status/1441882721228316673?s=21

Too bad the current 787 isn't very good.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey y'all, today I tried flying the old Kai Tak Airport approach. It's the famous checkerboard approach that flew directly over Kowloon.

Kai Tak airport itself no longer exists in the real world. But there's a mod that brings it back into the game. In the game, the airport will show up under the ICAO code VXXX. Unfortunately, it comes without built-in standard approach and departure procedures. But you can recreate these using these charts. A scenic one (page 8) goes like this:

* overfly the CH VOR heading 270, at 6000ft
* 7nm after the CH VOR, or at the GOLF waypoint, start a lazy right hand turn that brings you right over the new Hong Kong airport (VHHH).
* When approaching the airport, aim to intersect the SL NDB, heading 45, at 4500ft.
* Very gently turn rightwards to heading 88 directly towards the RW NDB. Descend at 3.1 degrees.
* As you approach the RW NDB, you should be able to spot the big checkerboard, where take a right onto final

It feels really good having this all come together!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So XPlane 12 was announced today and this thread is like 5 pages back.

XPlane 12 looks very underwhelming. Like packaging mods with an XPlane 11 release.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I mean, an ATC that doesn't send me in the wrong direction for 45 minutes before going "resume own navigation" and then vectors me into the side of a mountain on descent would be nice.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

I mean, an ATC that doesn't send me in the wrong direction for 45 minutes before going "resume own navigation" and then vectors me into the side of a mountain on descent would be nice.

I've heard pilot2atc is good at that (so I bought it) but I wouldn't really know because the few times I've tried to use it the esoteric gatekeeping UI IS ONLY FOR HYPER NERDS BTW OUR LAST UX UPDATE WAS IN WINDOWS 95 ALSO gently caress YOU IF YOU NEED HELP AND ALSO THE VOICES ARE ALL poo poo prevented me from enjoying it.

The flight sim community is a trip, let me tell you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

UnknownTarget posted:

So XPlane 12 was announced today and this thread is like 5 pages back.

XPlane 12 looks very underwhelming. Like packaging mods with an XPlane 11 release.
Looked this up, ran into the XP12 Keynote video thingy, and I'm currently at the beginning at the weather section and am wondering what drugs he took.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is there a decent ATC mod for MSFS? (aside from the live ones)?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

No. Pilot2ATC is the “best one” but it’s extremely arcane and imo only breaches “just okay” if it’s the same thing I used in XPlane.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

tater_salad posted:

Vatsim

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I love the idea of Vatsim and have used it in the past

But I always find it’s a big ordeal to get setup , I suppose I should stop whining and just do it, and each use will make myself a bit faster. Sometimes depends on the people you’re flying with too who just want to hot start on the runway and zoom off

The reason I always get burned out with flight sim stuff is the time it takes just to get off the ground , and if something crashes you have to start all over again. That is if you’re playing “simulator rules”

Similar question to tater is what does everyone use for things like approach charts and airport taxiway charts , I know some of the planes have an fms that will display some of that , but my goto plane is the CJ4 and I don’t believe I’ve found a way to see that information in the cockpit yet

Back in the Old days you would load a knee board mod to see this stuff. So you didn’t have to tab in and out of the game , does such a beast exist for 2020 yet ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
If you have a Navigraph subscription and the Working Title mod for the CJ4 you can get charts to show up on the MFD. If you don't want to spend money you can use Chartfox, either on a tablet or just alt-tab to it.