Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Anyone know anything about this?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dog-owners-using-harness-instead-25030451

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/901/note/made

Apparently it's insisting it has to be a collar, not a harness. It worries me because the boy is too strong for a collar, and his harness has a tag attached with his name and address on it.

Is this just panicmongering, or have their been actual cases where a harnessed dog owner has been prosecuted?

It's a very good idea to have a collar with contact details on it on your dog at all times in case they get out. Obviously microchips make this a bit less essential but it does mean that if, say, a near neighbour finds your dog you can get them back possibly before you even notice they've gone, as opposed to it having to go via a vets or the RSPCA/old bill.

e: Can't ignore this snipe opportunity

Here is my cat patiently explaining to me that collars are against his religion which is why he tears them off within seconds of getting one on. He also wishes me to know that this shelf is now his and he'll tolerate the clock but the other stuff that was there had to go.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently it's insisting it has to be a collar, not a harness. It worries me because the boy is too strong for a collar, and his harness has a tag attached with his name and address on it.

Is this just panicmongering, or have their been actual cases where a harnessed dog owner has been prosecuted?

The law is that you have to have an id tag attached to a collar but I dunno who’s ever take you to court over it anyway tbh, we didn’t know the law until we’d had our dog for 12 months already and nobody ever said anything. We have both anyway because we our Twin Peaks fandom wouldn’t let us pass up a black and white chevron collar with red trim, she always has the collar on and the harness is for walks

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flayer posted:

That line from Starmer can be interpreted both ways depending on your angle, the perfect middle ground. One interpretation (the TERF one) would be that trans women would be excluded from women only spaces, the more charitable explanation that you would hope is correct is that women only spaces should be available to all women. Kieth will carefully avoid making it clear as much as he possibly can.

I vaguely respect the political move of telling journalists stuff like 'we have not changed our position from our 2019 position' in the full knowledge that no journalist will ever check what that position was

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/genderbroth/status/1379021957379809285?s=20

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My dog has a tag on her harness and a tag on her collar. I don't clip the lead on to her collar but I keep the collar on in case she slips her harness (we used to have one of those Julius K9 ones and she managed to escape from it once).

I don't have a collar on her round the house because we've got a very secure garden but I probably should do just in case.

e: and the story is definitely more about people who don't bother putting a tag ont he harness.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

I find it difficult to interpret it very charitably:

At the very least it suggests that he thinks people should be excluded unless they have jumped through whatever stupid loving hoops they plan to write up for "official" recognition.

https://twitter.com/cj_bellwether/status/1440678474952310785

So the default is that trans women should have access to women-only spaces, which is the opposite of what the Indy was trying to suggest.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 22, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My dog has a tag on her harness and a tag on her collar. I don't clip the lead on to her collar but I keep the collar on in case she slips her harness (we used to have one of those Julius K9 ones and she managed to escape from it once).

I don't have a collar on her round the house because we've got a very secure garden but I probably should do just in case.

e: and the story is definitely more about people who don't bother putting a tag on the harness.
He doesn't tend to wear a collar round the house because of a mole on his neck (which is harmless and the vet has checked out) that gets irritates, but he always wears a harness which has a label with his details on every time we go out, mostly because he can really, really easily slip out of collars.

Mostly I'm worried some dickhead is going to insist it has to be a collar like the law says.

It's his 5th birthday today by the way:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Happy birthday United Mine Workers dog :toot:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My Energy suppler, Avro, has gone tits up.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/cj_bellwether/status/1440678474952310785

So the default is that trans women should have access to women-only spaces, which is the opposite of what the Indy was trying to suggest.

So what was the purpose of this? Is this the Independent attempting to poison the conference, drive more of the left from the party, or a sop to terfs / plain old transphobia from the Indi staff themselves.

Or just plain old shoddy journalism and stupidity. Questions, I am sure, will not be asked.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Desiderata posted:

So what was the purpose of this? Is this the Independent attempting to poison the conference, drive more of the left from the party, or a sop to terfs / plain old transphobia from the Indi staff themselves.

Or just plain old shoddy journalism and stupidity. Questions, I am sure, will not be asked.

Rosie Duffield has opened the door to the next festering wound that will split labour apart and now its all people are going to focus on.

Starmers refusal to either deal with Duffield properly or just outright support her is just easy pickings for the journos.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just got an email from So Energy to say that as I'm in the last 7 weeks of my contract I can switch without additional fees lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

The pivot from nuclear bombers to gas retailers was always going to be a tricky one.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I expect we'll lose another few tomorrow too. Its literally the wild west out there.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
some exceptionally normal Starmering going on, you love to see it
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1440716290537111553

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1440722954363437061?s=19

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm with them and I was expecting this, specially considering how little I was paying.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Do GMB have a history of being really crap? Also what did Ed do to get such a target painted on him?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do GMB have a history of being really crap? Also what did Ed do to get such a target painted on him?

Caused chaos.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

They've always been on the melty side but this seems weird.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's the closest thing to a left-winger still in the shadow cabinet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The pivot from nuclear bombers to gas retailers was always going to be a tricky one.
Atomic boilers are way ahead of flying cars on my "poo poo we were promised by 2021 in 1961" list.

I'd take a marginally increased risk of lymphoma and a tiny tiny chance of my house becoming a superfund site for a much reduced risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or my house becoming a crater, especially if it meant no gas bills.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's weird that one person's position, positions these people come and go from every 15 mins anyway, is something they seem bothered about bargaining over with something that would have much bigger ramifications and they would surely either support or not support regardless of what Ed is doing.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

I expect we'll lose another few tomorrow too. Its literally the wild west out there.

It’s funny that we have thousands of pages of complex regulation on capital reserves for financial services companies to make sure they can weather extreme market stress, and meanwhile OFGEM has apparently been running the entire energy market on the basis of “well gas prices can never go up that much can they? It’ll be fine”.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Can we not just go into space and get some more gas from there?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

we really do require more vespene gas

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Protass Assimilator

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Desiderata posted:

It's cracking the issue open. Starmer wants to remain ambiguous, so report he's called for one side and maybe he'll think "well, damage done" and go with it.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Failed Imagineer posted:

GMB do indeed have a history of being really crap - iirc they're the main union for the fossil fuels stuff in the UK, they were the main opposition to the Green New Deal / Industrial Revolution in 2019, also think that a third runway at Heathrow is the right thing to do because of JOBS JOBS JOBS

labourism, what can you do :shrug:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

we really do require more vespene gas

Boris heard a voice in the mid 90's that said "Spawn More Overlords!" and that's why he has so many children.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Maybe Starmer wants to step down but wants to ensure the PLP get to pick his replacement instead of the membership

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Wait Ed Millibands now in favour of changing his own rules, sacking himself and abandoning his areas big policy? WHY?

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 22, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JoylessJester posted:

Wait Ed Millibands now in favour of changing his own rules, sacking himself and abandoning his areas big policy? WHY?

Nah he's abandoning his own policy to keep the sweet shadow post rather than be sacked.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gort posted:

Maybe Starmer wants to step down but wants to ensure the PLP get to pick his replacement instead of the membership

Either way it has to be done, it's pretty obvious they've done a great job of discrediting the labour right and if they did things the same way as before we'd all just rejoin to vote in whichever candidate they hate the most

It's probably their most important move tbh, they'd have to be completely stupid not to. It'd be like if we hadn't implemented open primaries or made any effort to prevent the right wing taking over aga

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

JoylessJester posted:

I was confused too but is Ed opposing his own rules to try and stop himself from being sacked from GMB pressure? It's all a clusterfuck either way.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

JoylessJester posted:

Electoralism is a fool's game.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lol people confused as to why Ed Miliband would act spinelessly for no gain obviously forgot the Coalition years.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Gort posted:

reaching into the bag of wet eggs, plucking out another; shiny, glistening, fresh, unsullied

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Who do the right even have as their next candidate?
Or the left for that matter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the focus for them is just institutional control, doesn't matter who it is if you can just appoint them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol people confused as to why Ed Miliband would act spinelessly for no gain obviously forgot the Coalition years.

Is anyone confused by ed? I thought it was the union's position people found odd?