Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

codo27 posted:

I sure hope its just a matter of 7zip etc updating their shell integrations cause that would be absolute hippo dung if you can no longer add things like that

It's not that you can't add context menu items; it's that they're hidden behind an extra click (Show more options at the bottom of the context menu in the screenshot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Toast Museum posted:

It's not that you can't add context menu items; it's that they're hidden behind an extra click (Show more options at the bottom of the context menu in the screenshot).

My guess is that this is Microsoft's fix for how slow the context menu can be sometimes. The extra click means most people don't see the delay most of the time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My guess is that this is Microsoft's fix for how slow the context menu can be sometimes. The extra click means most people don't see the delay most of the time.

That's because tons of programs install terrible shell extensions that slow everything down. The real fix would be clamping down on shell extensions, or offering an easy way to get alerted when they are installed (just like Google Chrome does when some third-party applications installs an extension or changes certain settings), with a blacklist for slow ones (looking at you, old Google Drive app).

Installing Autoruns and going through the list manually isn't something the average user can be trusted with.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The irony is that microsoft provides their own fair share of context menu bloat. No, I don't want to move to one drive or share on skype, shut the gently caress up

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there an approach for manually trimming that context menu, preferably via a script that I could run when I upgrade a laptop or setup a new machine?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The irony is that microsoft provides their own fair share of context menu bloat. No, I don't want to move to one drive or share on skype, shut the gently caress up

The context menu in Edge takes up like a third of the screen's vertical space. It's absurd, at least half the options in there no one will ever use.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

The context menu in Edge takes up like a third of the screen's vertical space. It's absurd, at least half the options in there no one will ever use.

Have to add as many opportunities as possible for the user to accidentally search something using Bing, even when it's not the default search engine!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I live with the guy who wrote EdgeDeflector (which redirects start menu searches to your default browser), and a solid chunk of the feedback he gets is "can you also make it redirect from bing to google".

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ynglaur posted:

Is there an approach for manually trimming that context menu, preferably via a script that I could run when I upgrade a laptop or setup a new machine?

Yes and no. Those extra context menu items are all based on Registry items, so it's possible to go in and remove the ones you don't want. On the other hand, they're not all in one spot, and the property names and values don't always make it immediately obvious which context menu item they refer to, so it's probably easier to script a blacklist than a whitelist. Honestly, if we're talking about personal use, it'll probably be less of a headache to use one of the purpose-built context menu editors out there.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you just want to remove third-party shell extensions, download Autoruns https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns and go to the "Explorer" tab.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fame Douglas posted:

If you just want to remove third-party shell extensions, download Autoruns https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns and go to the "Explorer" tab.

Cheers!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The two-stage right-click menu made me ditch 11 pretty quickly

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know how Pen Remoting is supposed to work? I want to use my stand-alone win10 tablet as a normal Wacom tablet attached to my desktop. I see this feature mentioned like 5 years ago but nothing since then. Is it just that it works over rdp? Which is nice but not what I need.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know how Pen Remoting is supposed to work? I want to use my stand-alone win10 tablet as a normal Wacom tablet attached to my desktop. I see this feature mentioned like 5 years ago but nothing since then. Is it just that it works over rdp? Which is nice but not what I need.

I got Spacedesk on all of my computers, as well as my old iPad (2nd gen, iOS 10.3). I can read my Kindle/Apple Books apps on my iPad and check on network stuff or processing and statuses of anything upstairs while Im sitting with Granny watching Little House on the Prairie without having to stop reading or get upstairs to check now. I have a bunch of Remote Desktop-type apps uninstalled because its compatible to iOS and Win10 flawlessly. It is harder than it sounds simply because Spacedesk work on iOS 10+ while connecting to all my updated machines.

Im still pissy that Your Phone in the Microsoft Store is useless on my phone and I have to use third-party solutions just to copy pictures of my sons puppy from a Text directly to my HDDs for saving them long-term.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

What are some very lightweight screen recorders? Know someone who wants to very quickly record clips and post them. Says his hardware is "too bad" for OBS (not sure if that's true); assume some type of windows laptop from the past few years. Workflow would be like, "record 10-30 second clip of this debate -> post w/ commentary -> repeat". A feature like "clip past 30 seconds" in the Windows Gamebar would be appreciated but I imagine this wouldn't work for him for GPU reasons (again, maybe I'm wrong).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nothing else is going to be significantly lighter weight than OBS studio, actually frankly the collection of janky apps that used to exist before that (camtasia, camstudio, etc) are if anything probably worse. OBS is actually a very lightweight package in itself - obviously how you choose to do the encoding makes a huge difference in performance but thats not actually part of OBS and is going to be the same on other applications too.

Try turning down the recording preset - almost any PC should be able to do superfast x264, or you can reduce the resolution, or try NVENC, AMF, or QuickSync hardware encoding too.

Maybe there is something already built into windows for the game bar these days - I think you can record games for sure and it might be possible to force it to record the desktop. But this doesnt buy you anything in terms of encoding performance, which is likely to be the actual struggle here. Windows may have the encode quality turned way down by default for low spec machines but its the same encoder underneath.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 27, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I know if I start a Windows 10 install from scratch with a 7 Ultimate key it will install Windows 10 Pro, but there's no way to use a 7 key to upgrade to Pro from an already installed Home, right? Got a new latpop and it only has Home.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Medullah posted:

I know if I start a Windows 10 install from scratch with a 7 Ultimate key it will install Windows 10 Pro, but there's no way to use a 7 key to upgrade to Pro from an already installed Home, right? Got a new latpop and it only has Home.

You can upgrade an existing install, that's been a feature for a while now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Weird midnight out of left field question.

I'm working on a Lenovo X1 Fold at the moment with Windows 11 installed.

For some reason I cannot move the Teams window. Meaning, when I start up teams, the video chat windows comes up and operates just fine functionally...

... except it's sitting in the middle of the screen. I can minimize. Maximize. Use all of the functions but I cannot for the life of me, grab the title bar and move the loving window! Or resize it!

I've reinstalled Windows 11 just to see if something got broken. No idea what the hell is going on here. It's *just* teams.

If I use the windows snap shortcuts then it will snap to 2/3rds of the screen but nothing less.

I'm pulling my hair out here.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Weird midnight out of left field question.

I'm working on a Lenovo X1 Fold at the moment with Windows 11 installed.

For some reason I cannot move the Teams window. Meaning, when I start up teams, the video chat windows comes up and operates just fine functionally...

... except it's sitting in the middle of the screen. I can minimize. Maximize. Use all of the functions but I cannot for the life of me, grab the title bar and move the loving window! Or resize it!

I've reinstalled Windows 11 just to see if something got broken. No idea what the hell is going on here. It's *just* teams.

If I use the windows snap shortcuts then it will snap to 2/3rds of the screen but nothing less.

I'm pulling my hair out here.

Shift-right click the window on the taskbar, --> move might work.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VelociBacon posted:

Shift-right click the window on the taskbar, --> move might work.

Unfortunately not. I found a workaround for my needs, but it looks like it's just a niche form factor + buggy Windows 11 pre-release is just making the Fold throw it's hands up.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I generated a backup of a bunch of my old google files using something called "Google Takeout". The output was a 26 GB zip file, however Windows 10 for some reason cannot open it. The error text is
"Windows cannot open the folder.
The Compressed Folder
'C:\Users\User\Downloads\takeout-###########1507Z-001.zip' is invalid.
Anyone know what else I can try? I'd rather not have to download all 26 GB again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

I generated a backup of a bunch of my old google files using something called "Google Takeout". The output was a 26 GB zip file, however Windows 10 for some reason cannot open it. The error text is
"Windows cannot open the folder.
The Compressed Folder
'C:\Users\User\Downloads\takeout-###########1507Z-001.zip' is invalid.
Anyone know what else I can try? I'd rather not have to download all 26 GB again.

Try WinRAR and then try 7zip and see how that goes .

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
WinRAR? Did I time-travel to the 90s?

But 7zip is always the answer when it comes to compression.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

:laugh:

But yeah, try 7zip. There's lots of zip files that Windows can't open, including, if I remember correctly, encrypted zip files. So if you put a password on it when it exported them, it could be that.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Man I hope Win11 improves the workflow for compressed files. Context menus are such a mess in Win10, and you have to click stuff ten times for each file. I know better than to hope, though.

Doesn Windows 10 still struggle if file names are too long or something like that?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean 256 char paths + file name is still a thing. I doubt that'll ever go away.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

Man I hope Win11 improves the workflow for compressed files. Context menus are such a mess in Win10, and you have to click stuff ten times for each file. I know better than to hope, though.

7zip is the answer

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey I like WinRAR okay you gatekeeper nerds. Half of you are on IRC still let's be honest.

What makes 7zip so preferred by you guys? I have both installed but since I gave WinRAR the associations I never see 7zip. Also, because WinRAR had never failed so I haven't had to try anything else.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
7zip is open source and fast (supports current CPU extensions), everything I need. It also integrates well into the Windows Shell, which means I primarily use it through the right-click menu (also, if you're annoyed by the two-stage right click menu of the Windows 11 Explorer and want to revert it to Windows 10-style, get http://startisback.com/tbd/)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

I mean 256 char paths + file name is still a thing. I doubt that'll ever go away.

It's sort of not, but loads of applications struggle depending on the API calls they are making, and it's not a default.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-1607-and-later

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fame Douglas posted:

7zip is open source and fast (supports current CPU extensions), everything I need. It also integrates well into the Windows Shell, which means I primarily use it through the right-click menu (also, if you're annoyed by the two-stage right click menu of the Windows 11 Explorer and want to revert it to Windows 10-style, get http://startisback.com/tbd/)

WinRar is in the shell as well and I like it's right click options better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm the idiot that tabs to his WSL terminal and uses linux cli tools to unarchive stuff.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BonoMan posted:

WinRar is in the shell as well and I like it's right click options better.

It also has recovery records built in.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Fame Douglas posted:

Nice, thanks for the SIB link. The right-click menu has been unexpectedly enraging.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
7zip worked! I thought W10 automatically opened .zip files, but I guess not all of them?
At any rate, thanks for the suggestion. Google also has a backup of my computer from when a bad update crapped out my OS, which is both cool and a bit scary since I don't remember asking Google to keep a backup for me.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Nice, thanks for the SIB link. The right-click menu has been unexpectedly enraging.

Just as heads up, StartIsBack for Windows 8 was a commercial product ($3.99), so it's likely this will turn into one as well as soon as it finishes development. Also, SIB for Windows 8 was great and made the system usable and I'll buy it again for Windows 11.

I need my vertical taskbars and usable context menus.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

7zip worked! I thought W10 automatically opened .zip files, but I guess not all of them?

Standart zip is kinda limited to 4gb file size. And the windows built in compression support is old.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DildenAnders posted:

At any rate, thanks for the suggestion. Google also has a backup of my computer from when a bad update crapped out my OS, which is both cool and a bit scary since I don't remember asking Google to keep a backup for me.

windows explorer's zip integration has many known bugs and problems. Lack of AES support is one of them but basically anything that didn't exist or wasn't popular in 2000 when they licensed the code never got fixed or added (and they didn't make a contract for ongoing support/updates). There are also many bugs around the edges, and since the code was licensed there is nobody internal at MS to maintain it and they also don't really care to since everyone who cares uses a real client.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20180515-00/?p=98755

https://textslashplain.com/2021/06/02/leaky-abstractions/

this might be your bug: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...=w7itprogeneral

etc etc

It's purely there as a convenience for extracting common, trivial zip files. Don't depend on it for actual stuff.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

Thanks for the reminder I think I'll register my copy of WinRAR now.