Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

mawarannahr posted:

why can’t western journalists write an article about China without the word “draconian”!?

it's more pithy than "paper tiger"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

why can’t western journalists write an article about China without the word “draconian”!?

draconian is of the same root as the word dragon, which makes it an appropriate word to use when describing the Middle Kingdom, whose denizens style themselves the descendants of the dragon

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The artist is definitely referencing the Anaconda Plan in the image, but China is the one doing it to the US? Maybe they originally were going to make the snake American, because the US strategy does seem to be a blockade of Asia. The author then realized that plan is ridiculous and changed the snake to represent Chinese influence.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rutibex posted:

if you want a reading list for communism school you are likely going to have to make it yourself. this is the best that western institutions have to offer:

Hmm this looks like a promising offering from MIT!

Lets take a look at the reading list.....oh oh no....:ohno:

holy lmao

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

my favorite part is that they're too loving lazy to even read the fountainhead, they're getting assigned the movie

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Alternatively

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
At least its not the Atlas Shrugged 2-parter.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

draconian is of the same root as the word dragon, which makes it an appropriate word to use when describing the Middle Kingdom, whose denizens style themselves the descendants of the dragon
gonna need a new browser plugin that changes the word "draconian" to "dragon-like" in articles about china

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I joined the green party so that my draconian policies do acid damage

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

FrancisFukyomama posted:

wasn’t there a decent chunk of the tiananmen protesters that were anarchists/leftcoms/Maoists that wanted to rollback dengist reforms? I remember there being a faction that called itself the autonomous workers association that I’m guessing was either anarchist or leftcom

from what i recall, yes. western portrayal of the protests, when elaborated on at all and not just left to the reader to assume, are that the protestors want bourgeois liberal democracy and were protesting against the literally 1984 red fash hitler 2 cpc. mostly it was protesting dengist reforms from a leftcom stance, as well as some more immediate economic concerns and issues, and the cpc was meeting with the students and protestors, trying to work out how to achieve some of the demands.

where things got out of hand is when some bad actors (it was the CIA) jumped on the chance to try to foment color revolution, starting with stringing up pla members in an extremely grotesque way. with the US getting involved, paranoia kicked into high gear and things got out of hand. largely the PLA soldiers didn't want to, and went out of their way to avoid hurting people, but under orders to stop the protests by "any means necessary" it got more violent than it really should have been. still, the death toll from western sources are obscenely exaggerated.

and just to be clear, like, contrary to western belief, they talk about these protests and the history and with criticism of how it was handled. deng was doing so immediately after it happened. my personal take on the whole thing is there was a lot of optimism and naivete, especially from students at the time, who didn't remember the opium wars or the KMT or other hosed up things foreign powers had hoisted on china and didn't know the modern version of that is the CIA turning airing your leftcom grievances into an opportunity to destabilize your communist government by murdering your classmates.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FrancisFukyomama posted:

wait is this for real??

no loving chinese person thinks they are descended from a loving dragon you loving moronic dingus.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Agrajag posted:

wait is this for real??

no loving chinese person thinks they are descended from a loving dragon you loving moronic dingus.
I'm not Chinese but I'd probably gently caress a dragon, AMA.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

wait is this for real??

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

have you actually even talked to a chinese person?? i can guarantee none of us refer to ourselves as descendants of dragons you loving idiot

oh right white people love to think that those backwards and weird orientals are so silly and actually think they are descendants of mythological creatures

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

listen here, sweaty

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

hot witch divorcee posted:

listen here, sweaty

you are sweaty because there is a descendant of the dragon nearby, and they have very warm breath

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1440703059240255490?s=19

Taiwan wants in now too.

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1440656607512121364?s=19

Malaysia's defense minister heading to China to talk about the new pact between Australia, UK, and US.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Agrajag posted:

wait is this for real??

lmao bruh

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Agrajag posted:

have you actually even talked to a chinese person?? i can guarantee none of us refer to ourselves as descendants of dragons you loving idiot

oh right white people love to think that those backwards and weird orientals are so silly and actually think they are descendants of mythological creatures

every single chinese person ive met has talked about being descended from a dragon, which dragon clan they were from, scale cleaning tips, etc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

in China, people born in the year of the dragon are revered as elders regardless of their actual age

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Agrajag posted:

wait is this for real??

There was one of the most famous pop song called "Descendants of the Dragon" from the late 70s early 80s. It was probably one of if not the most popular pop song when Taiwan/HK pop singer became allowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpVH-KpN_VE

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

it’s one of those phrases that exists in Chinese but pretty much you never hear except in orientalist bullshit from western pundits, like mentioning the Mandate of Heaven when talking about contemporary Chinese politics, to emphasize how weird and inscrutable the celestial is to white audiences

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

it’s one of those phrases that exists in Chinese but pretty much you never hear except in orientalist bullshit from western pundits, like mentioning the Mandate of Heaven when talking about contemporary Chinese politics, to emphasize how weird and inscrutable the celestial is to white audiences

It doesn't come up at all?

US politics is full of weird phrases like that.

Manifest Destiny, Monroe Doctrine, uh others I am not thinking of right now.

Edit: I dunno mandate of heaven doesn't sound any more weird than divine right of kings. Even if it's used as a cudgel against Asians, westerners are just as guilty of weird poo poo like this.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Sep 22, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
claiming you’re descended from dragons is cool as gently caress idk why they wouldn’t do it more

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder if Chinese articles ever pull that bullshit, like going on a two paragraph tangent about what knights and the crusades are bc some dipshit senator talked about his “crusade against drugs” and then speculating that Sen. Alabaster Leeroy Johnson (AL-R) considers himself a chivalrous knight fighting against the saracen hashish and that by understanding the medieval codes of chivalry and knightly honor we can gain profound insight into the workings of American politics and thinking patterns

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

It doesn't come up at all?

US politics is full of weird phrases like that.

Manifest Destiny, Monroe Doctrine, uh others I am not thinking of right now.

Edit: I dunno mandate of heaven doesn't sound any more weird than divine right of kings. Even if it's used as a cudgel against Asians, westerners are just as guilty of weird poo poo like this.

Shining city on a hill (lol)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

^ I still don't know what the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's a biblical reference to righteousness I think

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KZq9puzLOE&t=119s

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also everything related to mormons.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lostconfused posted:

don’t hide your light under a bushel

e: Matthew 5:14-16

quote:

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

indigi has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Sep 22, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

of course not. i apologize though but i think xi was just screwing with him

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
*Trump points at the outer wall of the Palace of Tranquil Longievity* Unbeliveable, what is this a family tree? I've built a lot of GREAT things but Kuai Xiang, what a guy!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

greetings, noble descendants of the dragon. my people are called children of the corn

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

as a dragonkin i welcome my chinese brothers and sisters

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

it means every other country is super jelly and want to have hot sweaty regime change with you

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

"america is a shining city on a hill" *rapes and murders 50,000 nuns*

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
On the topic of raping nuns, it probably shouldn't surprise you that most Americans didn't learn about that phrase from reading the bible, but from Ronald Reagan when he founded the United States of America with Oliver North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYiOUEjzZNs

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

i dont understand the difficulty with "shining city on a hill", it's literally what it says it is, maybe you are thinking too hard? there is a hill, with a city on top, and it is shining, maybe even a beacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Giant piles of corpses and feces generate so much methane that you can power a grid with it. Technically a shining city on a hill.