Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have watched the first three so far. The Duel was my favorite so far, but want to know more about the protagonist. is he actually a Sith? Why doesn't he have white crystals (Sith sabers that are used to wrong a murder are supposed to turn white)? I just generally want to see more, that could be a cool story.

The Twins one was just ok, I know its anime/star wars/the force nonsense, but for some reason I was really taken out of it with them fighting in space and breathing hard..

Tatooine Rhapsody was cute and fun as a one off. My nephew will love that one for sure. I think some of us are judging these through the prism of adults vs. kids when watching them. Like a 10 year old probably won't be enthralled by The Duel but will love Tatooine Rhapsody. And thats wonderful, I like that there are more targeted episodes rather than trying to make every episode accessible for every age, allows for more varied story telling and creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

For gently caress's sake I hope that the disney marketing crew get the Ronin's light saber prop out for sale.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So would you recommend the Japanese or English voices for Visions (or are both equally good)?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on how strongly you feel about subtitle accuracy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Depends on how strongly you feel about subtitle accuracy.

I take it the subs aren’t great then?

In that case, how’s the dub for Visions (mostly because it just feels weird for me to watch something Star Wars related in anything except english)?

Also how long are the episodes on average?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

I take it the subs aren’t great then?

In that case, how’s the dub for Visions (mostly because it just feels weird for me to watch something Star Wars related in anything except english)?

Also how long are the episodes on average?

The subtitles are synced to the English localization even if you play the Japanese audio track. For some people this is unacceptable. Personally for me it's a shrug.

The English dub is fine. Temuera Morrison plays Fett.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

The subtitles are synced to the English localization even if you play the Japanese audio track. For some people this is unacceptable. Personally for me it's a shrug.

The English dub is fine. Temuera Morrison plays Fett.

Neat, do any other familiar faces show up?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I don't think for anyone it's unacceptable, I wasn't white-knuckled or anything going through the episodes, but for Lop and Ocho especially the subtitles desync from the audio. As you can imagine, the English dub and accompanying subtitles are not always faithful to what is being spoken, so it's a bit of a bummer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, it's mostly that Disney+ is not designed or equipped for foreign language media.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zodack posted:

I don't think for anyone it's unacceptable, I wasn't white-knuckled or anything going through the episodes, but for Lop and Ocho especially the subtitles desync from the audio. As you can imagine, the English dub and accompanying subtitles are not always faithful to what is being spoken, so it's a bit of a bummer.

I've never really been one for a 1:1 translation of language as long as the proper intent is carried over in the adaptation. Something directly translated from one language to another doesn't always have the same flow, so I'm okay with some artistic license being taken.

My brother on the other hand gets really pissed if the subtitles don't match up to fansubs that are more direct in their translations.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 22, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The thing that really bothered me more was that I can't get just subtitles without the closed captions.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lol Twins is so great. Trigger makes the wildest poo poo.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Holy poo poo, T0-B1 is played by Masako Nozawa, aka Goku. That was awesome. Also animated by the Devilman/Japan Sinks/Eizoken studio. Amazing. I don't think that little guy quite had the Force, but it was neat.

Also, still have three more episodes to go, but I think The Ninth Jedi was outstanding and so far it's the short I would most like to see fleshed out into a series, followed by The Bride and The Twins. I didn't much like The Twins despite loving Studio Trigger, but it was more because of the story itself. The visuals were top notch. I think with a good writer, Director Imaishi could deliver an amazing Star Wars anime series. He's the freaking Gurren Lagann/Kill La Kill guy ffs!

edit: To the person saying that lightsabers aren't mood rings...technically they kinda are.

When a crystal is first activated, the initial color is dictated by the wielder. Granted, they don't change every time a new person holds them...unless that person willfully chooses to do so, as in the case of Ahsoka's green lightsabers becoming blue after Anakin worked on them. But yeah, they definitely don't work as depicted in The Ninth Jedi.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 22, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zodack posted:

Gotcha, in that case I’ll go dub first because it’s Star Wars but maybe I’ll check out the Japanese side of things later if I feel like it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

swickles posted:

I have watched the first three so far. The Duel was my favorite so far, but want to know more about the protagonist. is he actually a Sith? Why doesn't he have white crystals (Sith sabers that are used to wrong a murder are supposed to turn white)? I just generally want to see more, that could be a cool story.

Canonically (as much as this series can be called that) white crystals have to be specifically purified by the user rather than it just being an automatic thing that happens. Narratively though, it's just to make it clear he's hunting Sith specifically, since white crystals could be misinterpreted in an already monochrome story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t payed close attention to the other stuff in the works but aside from Bad Batch season 2 is this the last of the animated projects for the time being?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

swickles posted:

I have watched the first three so far. The Duel was my favorite so far, but want to know [spoiler]more about the protagonist. is he actually a Sith?

The Ronin novel comes out on Oct 12 2021

quote:

The Jedi are the most loyal servants of the Empire.

Two decades ago, Jedi clans clashed in service to feuding lords. Sickened by this endless cycle, a sect of Jedi rebelled, seeking to control their own destiny and claim power in service of no master. They called themselves Sith.

The Sith rebellion failed, succumbing to infighting and betrayal, and the once rival lords unified to create an Empire… but even an Empire at peace is not free from violence.

Far on the edge of the Outer Rim, one former Sith wanders, accompanied only by a faithful droid and the ghost of a less civilized age. He carries a lightsaber, but claims lineage to no Jedi clan, and pledges allegiance to no lord. Little is known about him, including his name, for he never speaks of his past, nor his regrets. His history is as guarded as the red blade of destruction he carries sheathed at his side.

As the galaxy’s perpetual cycle of violence continues to interrupt his self-imposed exile, and he is forced to duel an enigmatic bandit claiming the title of Sith, it becomes clear that no amount of wandering will ever let him outpace the specters of his former life.

Alternate History AU pulled from Japanese lore

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I could honestly see them adopting Visions as a wider label for alternate universe type stuff, like how the old EU is Legends.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Alternate History AU pulled from Japanese lore

Which incidentally also makes it more similar to Lucas' original backstory for the Jedi back when the movie was more transparently a Kurosawa riff:

Star Wars Rough Draft posted:

Until the recent GREAT REBELLION, the JEDI BENDU were the most feared warriors in the universe. For one hundred thousand years, generations of JEDI perfected their art as the personal bodyguards of the emperor. They were the chief architects of the invincible IMPERIAL SPACE FORCE which expanded the EMPIRE across the galaxy, from the celestial equator to the farthest reaches of the GREAT RIFT.

Now these legendary warriors are all but extinct. One by one they have been hunted down and destroyed as enemies of the NEW EMPIRE by a ferocious and sinister rival warrior sect, THE KNIGHTS OF SITH.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I want to live in the timeline where we got tons of anime Star Wars instead of the Rise Of Skywalker

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is actually pretty good so far, I kind of hope we get another batch of these at some point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd love to see Studio Orange do a short, along with Kamikaze Douga, who did The Duel, they're pretty much among the best CG studios in Japan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Even though it was a trailer shot, the reveal of Ronin's saber color was amazing with how it was built up to

The duel in The Elder hearkened back to how duels were usually done in a few steps rather than long drawn-out dance numbers

:allears:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It isn't really a surprise, what with the Hidden Fortress influences on Star Wars in the first place, but the samurai aesthetic really works here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm not really up-to-date with my lightsaber lore. I know that Ahsoka purified "bloodied" crystals and that's how she has white sabers, but is "tempering" kyber crystals something that's been mentioned elsewhere? I thought that was a neat way of dictating saber color/intensity. I forget where I read it, but I also remember reading green bladed sabers were typically wielded by Jedi who are powerful in the force and blue sabers were more often used by Jedi who excelled as duelists. Dunno if that was relative to The Ninth Jedi, but I had that in the back of my mind watching that episode.

[edit] Also the callback to Mace Windu using a more dark side favoring lightsaber style was cool.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i definitely assumed that smith was just doing some cool magic

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cool thing about 9th Jedi, the original kyber crystal planet ilum was starkiller base in the force awakens and the 9th jedi's kyber crystals are in asteroids that have gathered in the debris ring around the planet. The remains of Ilum- so in some future ST the asteroids of ilum become crazy treasure finds to hunt down. Would make sense why lightsabers are hard to build. The temple was also a large piece of rock which could have been the remains of a jedi outpost from Ilum.

Really cool potential world building stuff in that one.

The old droid was a great character was well!!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm not really up-to-date with my lightsaber lore. I know that Ahsoka purified "bloodied" crystals and that's how she has white sabers, but is "tempering" kyber crystals something that's been mentioned elsewhere? I thought that was a neat way of dictating saber color/intensity. I forget where I read it, but I also remember reading green bladed sabers were typically wielded by Jedi who are powerful in the force and blue sabers were more often used by Jedi who excelled as duelists. Dunno if that was relative to The Ninth Jedi, but I had that in the back of my mind watching that episode.

[edit] Also the callback to Mace Windu using a more dark side favoring lightsaber style was cool.

Tempering crystals isn't something that's specifically been in Star Wars before, a something similar existed with synthetic crystals, which were created in furnaces and could gain specific qualities. Usually they were a replacement for natural crystals rather than an enhancement though - Luke's green lightsaber used a synthetic crystal, and so did most Sith lightsabers since they didn't have access to the naturally occurring ones on Ilum.

The color / alignment stuff comes from Knights of the Old Republic, which assigned Blue lightsabers to fighters, Green to wizards, and Yellow to rogues.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
KotOR also did a bunch of funky poo poo with orange and silver crystals,. and they had extra crystals you could add as well as the colour crystal because why not?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
All the color stuff dictating your affinity or whatever is no longer canon. It was a fun thought, though, don’t get me wrong. Synthetic crystals are also no longer a thing.

As of now:

Green/Blue- Any Jedi can have one of these two colors and it’s determined when you first pour your own living Force into the crystal. The crystals are otherwise colorless. The crystal remains the same color unless someone else actively “wills” it to change colors by pouring their own Force into it. This is how Ahsoka’s green sabers turn blue after Anakin takes them. What an rear end in a top hat.

Purple - Mace Windu had this (as do some characters in the new High Republic books). Same as green/blue, just rarer. Sam Jackson made this a thing because he requested a purple saber from Lucas so he could identify himself in the Battle of Geonosis scene. The fact Mace has a purple saber has nothing to do with him favoring more aggressive lightsaber styles. Not in canon anymore, anyway.

Yellow - Wielded by Jedi Temple Guards and now also Rey Skywalker for…reasons? Guards were regular Jedi and the yellow sabers were only used by them while on guard duty. They had their own personal green/blue personal sabers the rest of the time and only borrowed the yellow sabers.

Red - Dark side users had to impose their will onto a crystal to get it to work for them, rather than working in harmony with the living crystal. Thus it is “bled” and turns red.

White - Purified red crystals. Only Ahsoka and some High Republic people have these as of now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have no idea why they did it, and it's rather hard to make out in most episodes and toys often just don't bother, but Ahsoka actually has one green and one yellow saber.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I think my favorite episodes were (not in any order): The Duel, The Village Bride and The Ninth Jedi. Would be stoked to get more content in any of those versions of the universe.

The Twins gets a special mention because TRIGGER is nuts.

Also shutouts to whoever designed the lightsabers: looking forwards to seeing custom hilts in those styles.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least there's varying shades of green, blue, purple, indigo, cyan, orange, white and black so it's not all completely uniform

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lightsaber colours and their denotations are a big "whatever" to me. They're like blaster bolts, a quick way to identify good guy from bad guy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's also the darksaber, which actually has an interesting look in live-action compared to the other black lightsabers they added in the Legends continuity. The Old Republic also has a ton of wacky saber colors now, since the game makes most of its money from people playing Space Barbie.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Robot Style posted:

There's also the darksaber, which actually has an interesting look in live-action compared to the other black lightsabers they added in the Legends continuity. The Old Republic also has a ton of wacky saber colors now, since the game makes most of its money from people playing Space Barbie.

… “Frogdog Gold”? When did Doobie start working for them?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Soonmot posted:

okay as an anime hater,

You're going to have a bad time, then. All of these are more anime than Star Wars.

They're all good, though, even the ones that are just okay.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

… “Frogdog Gold”? When did Doobie start working for them?

There is a goon on the dev team, but Frog-Dogs have been around for a while so could be a coincidence.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Of the 5 episodes I watched so far, The Village Bride and The Ninth Jedi have been the best. The Duel was pretty cool, but wish they didn't spoil the Ronin reveal in the trailer. I was most excited for The Twins, but despite its crazy Promare-esque art style, it didn't have much else going for it—my disappointment with that episode immediately leveled my expectations (which was for the better I think, hah). Tatooine Rhapsody was cute, but I won't bother to revisit.

[edit] I kinda want to see a Jedi or Sith with a scabbard to sheathe their saber in live-action now. Have it be made out of beskar so they can use the scabbard to fight with too :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

teagone posted:

[edit] I kinda want to see a Jedi or Sith with a scabbard to sheathe their saber in live-action now. Have it be made out of beskar so they can use the scabbard to fight with too :allears:

I'm Interested the mechanics of it. Like, is the blade always on that it needs to be encased in something?