Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nessa posted:

Gremlins is awesome and a great early horror movie. Cute mascot character with Gizmo and enough humour to keep things from getting too dark.

Has she seen many older Don Bluth films? I always loved them as a kid because they weren’t afraid to get a little scary at times. Land Before Time, Secret of NIMH, and All Dogs Go To Heaven primarily.

Yeah she loves those although she’d consider them “lighter”… she loves the Netflix show Creeped Out… which is like a Black Mirror for teens? That’s kind of her level.

My 2 year old LOVES The Land Before Time (but won’t watch any of the sequels lol). It’s such a good movie. I had forgotten how much I liked it. He calls it “Sarah” for the lead Triceratops character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BonoMan posted:

Yeah she loves those although she’d consider them “lighter”… she loves the Netflix show Creeped Out… which is like a Black Mirror for teens? That’s kind of her level.

My 2 year old LOVES The Land Before Time (but won’t watch any of the sequels lol). It’s such a good movie. I had forgotten how much I liked it. He calls it “Sarah” for the lead Triceratops character.

Where can I stream land before time?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Renegret posted:

fwiw mine hated the car when he was born but grew to love it once we started taking him to school every day.

Now that he's forward facing and he can see better everything's so much more fun too

I think once she can see around better she will also be happier. My husband thinks my car might be too loud and it bothers her. I'm not sure if that could be it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tom Smykowski posted:

We got one of those DVD players that hangs from the headrest and my kid went from hating the car to getting excited to get in.

Downside is listening to the same goddamn sesame street DVD a million times

Similarly we got a headrest clip for any tablet, so I just take my Fire and amazon will let you download stuff and play it without streaming. Assuming you've connected recently so it knows your account is active, then set it to airplane mode so it knows not to constantly look for internet and get upset when it doesn't find any. It ends up being less hassle to just :filez: a bunch of Bluey and play the mp4's in VLC.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

life is killing me posted:

I seem to find myself behind slow movers or pedantic RIGHT EXACTLY AT THE SPEED LIMIT folks on my no passing road I take to get home, every single time one or both of the kids are really pissed. Seems like an eternity and my wife is over next to me going, “Don’t tailgate them Babe. We are almost home…”

I DO NOT CARE. I MUST TAILGATE THEM IN ORDER FOR THEM TO SEE THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS

I am your nemesis then.

Anytime I’m driving anywhere people walk, I drive the speed limit or lower. Drivers kill a lot of people and make public spaces unusable because they gotta go vroom fast everywhere. Drivers are my biggest worry for my kids’ safety.

Going faster doesn’t change transit times significantly because t = d/v and intersections gate throughput. So slow the gently caress down.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Renegret posted:

Where can I stream land before time?

We did a free trial of Starz ... They have it. Then we just ended up purchasing it since he loved it so much.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dobbs_Head posted:

I am your nemesis then.

Anytime I’m driving anywhere people walk, I drive the speed limit or lower. Drivers kill a lot of people and make public spaces unusable because they gotta go vroom fast everywhere. Drivers are my biggest worry for my kids’ safety.

Going faster doesn’t change transit times significantly because t = d/v and intersections gate throughput. So slow the gently caress down.

I just wanna go like 5-7mph over on my road that doesn’t have pedestrians on it

But yea I get that, it’s not unreasonable to slow down around pedestrians, but drivers such as you are not necessarily who I am complaining about. It’s more the, “I’m gonna take it upon myself to police the other drivers instead of just moving the gently caress over” people on my road

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I used to be a 5-7mph over driver, zipping around freeways or zooming everywhere I went. I eventually gave it up for a few reasons:

1. That T=D/V thing is legit and made me realize that all my risk and getting my emotions and brain all wound up was not worth the time savings. Going from 65 to 72 over 10 miles saves me a minute, 30 miles saves me 3 minutes, and 50 miles saves me <5 minutes.
2. I was tailgating too close and somebody 3 cars ahead of me suddenly slammed on their brakes and we got into a very small accident (nobody hurt, no real car damage except for paint scrapes). My kids were legit freaked about it and would not stop talking about it (the oldest still brings it up sometimes). It was clearly very traumatic to them.
3. Part of my mental health and recovery work is based around not trying to control things I can't control, focusing on negative behaviors or situations, or lettings my emotions run rampant. I'm working to take a much more calm and measured approach to things. One great way is to just slow down, drive the speed limit, and accept that I will get there when I get there. I try to plan ahead as much as possible with 2 small kids and leave extra early so that I can just drive without having to race. Sometimes I am running late for something, but I accept that if I am late I am late, and what is 1-5 minutes really going to change. It's honestly made a huge difference, not only in my attitude in the car, but for the rest of the day after driving too.

If I am on the open freeway I will still drive 5-7 over, but if I can't I just accept it for what it is, slow down, and cruise at the new speed. That doesn't mean I don't often catch myself wanting to go faster or getting irked at a slow driver, etc. But I try to notice when I am doing that, take a few deep breaths, let it go, and slow down. It's gradually becoming more of a habit and less work, and is honestly something that I work at outside the car too. Not easy, but the reward is really worth it.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

life is killing me posted:

I just wanna go like 5-7mph over on my road that doesn’t have pedestrians on it

But yea I get that, it’s not unreasonable to slow down around pedestrians, but drivers such as you are not necessarily who I am complaining about. It’s more the, “I’m gonna take it upon myself to police the other drivers instead of just moving the gently caress over” people on my road

lol nobody's "policing you" rear end in a top hat, and it's their road too. Speed if you want, but don't tailgate people who don't feel like it jfc, that's actively creating an unsafe situation. Real "it's the children who are wrong" energy here.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Douche4Sale posted:

I used to be a 5-7mph over driver, zipping around freeways or zooming everywhere I went. I eventually gave it up for a few reasons:

1. That T=D/V thing is legit and made me realize that all my risk and getting my emotions and brain all wound up was not worth the time savings. Going from 65 to 72 over 10 miles saves me a minute, 30 miles saves me 3 minutes, and 50 miles saves me <5 minutes.
2. I was tailgating too close and somebody 3 cars ahead of me suddenly slammed on their brakes and we got into a very small accident (nobody hurt, no real car damage except for paint scrapes). My kids were legit freaked about it and would not stop talking about it (the oldest still brings it up sometimes). It was clearly very traumatic to them.
3. Part of my mental health and recovery work is based around not trying to control things I can't control, focusing on negative behaviors or situations, or lettings my emotions run rampant. I'm working to take a much more calm and measured approach to things. One great way is to just slow down, drive the speed limit, and accept that I will get there when I get there. I try to plan ahead as much as possible with 2 small kids and leave extra early so that I can just drive without having to race. Sometimes I am running late for something, but I accept that if I am late I am late, and what is 1-5 minutes really going to change. It's honestly made a huge difference, not only in my attitude in the car, but for the rest of the day after driving too.

If I am on the open freeway I will still drive 5-7 over, but if I can't I just accept it for what it is, slow down, and cruise at the new speed. That doesn't mean I don't often catch myself wanting to go faster or getting irked at a slow driver, etc. But I try to notice when I am doing that, take a few deep breaths, let it go, and slow down. It's gradually becoming more of a habit and less work, and is honestly something that I work at outside the car too. Not easy, but the reward is really worth it.

All of this is something I need to work at, and something I’m working with my therapist on. To give you an idea of where my driving habits come from, once when I was in the car when I was young my dad and some guy made each other mad and they pulled over on the side of the road and duked it out. Dude pulled nunchucks on my dad. But he was nuts back then, he’s mellowed out a ton now to the point he’s telling me to calm down, when he’s where I learned road rage in the first place. I’ve never been violent because it’s not my nature but I have driven aggressively.

I tend to dial it back when my kids are in the car and antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds have helped a ton in calming me down and letting me just shrug it off, but yeah I’ve got work to do. I also tend not to do things I don’t enjoy happening to me, but sometimes I get a stick up my rear end and tailgate someone before I calm down and slow up to make more space. No accidents in years but so many could have happened because I can drive like an idiot sometimes. But, I’ve never purposely been an rear end in a top hat for its own sake and I try to be courteous and drive defensively. Just still needs work, for sure.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

2DEG posted:

lol nobody's "policing you" rear end in a top hat, and it's their road too. Speed if you want, but don't tailgate people who don't feel like it jfc, that's actively creating an unsafe situation. Real "it's the children who are wrong" energy here.

Fair enough, on a two-lane road, you’re absolutely right. On the freeway in the left? I disagree.

But regardless, I acknowledge I’ve got some work to do on myself and I’m doing it, for my own sake and my kids’. Yes I get wrapped around the axle a lot, and it’s not necessarily something I’m proud of, so you’re right to call me out on it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Parenting Megathread: wherein we complain about other people's driving habits Nextdoor Dot Com style

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

His Divine Shadow posted:

These kids also diagnosed ADHD btw, looking like we're gonna have to consider medication for them to be able to perform in school even with their personal assistants.

Medication made such a huge impact on her daily life, especially school. Being able to start and finish work in one sitting instead of her getting so frustrated because she just didn't know how to start or transition to different items has been the biggest change.

We tried to start with nonmedicated options because I worry about a family history of drug abuse, but her pediatrician and pediatric psychiatrist helped me through those fears. It took us about 2 months to settle on the best dose, but it can take longer if you need to change medications as well. There are so many more options now, so their doctor will definitely be able to help you find what will work best.

My best advice is to stock up on high calorie snacks and ask about what they recommend for the initial sleep disturbance. The lack of appetite and sleep parts adjust pretty quickly, but you can stave off or lessen the initial weightloss if have some calorie bombs ready.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Well, we had a pretty good streak but we've finally caught the first full-family cold. I felt a little scratchy yesterday, could have been allergies...and woke up at 4am today with the worst sore throat in memory. Probably feels worse since covid isolation meant any kind of sickness was pretty much nil for over a year. Currently kiddo just looks really snotty but we'll see how she fares today.

I blame visiting family over the weekend. I should have known nothing good comes from family.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My 7 year old is currently being assessed for probable ADHD. He does great in school, but over the last year his attention span has deteriorated sharply and usually he can't even finish his lunch in the allotted time. :( The only way he's able to slow down his thoughts at bedtime is a kids' sleep/meditation app. I'm not looking forward to all the changes and fuss he'll have to go through but all I want is for him to be happy & well, so we'll do whatever it takes.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

wizzardstaff posted:

Well, we had a pretty good streak but we've finally caught the first full-family cold. I felt a little scratchy yesterday, could have been allergies...and woke up at 4am today with the worst sore throat in memory. Probably feels worse since covid isolation meant any kind of sickness was pretty much nil for over a year. Currently kiddo just looks really snotty but we'll see how she fares today.

I blame visiting family over the weekend. I should have known nothing good comes from family.
Same except we don't know where the heck it came from. My kid is already feeling better but now it's hitting me.

It's also the first cold rainy day of the season so my kid is also bouncing off the walls and trying out dropping his morning nap :sweatdrop:

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My kid (20 months) won't let us read books at bedtime anymore. Every book I pick, he shoves it away. I try to let him pick a book out and he refuses. If he does let me read a book, he turns the pages faster than I can read them. Anyone else's kid go through a phase like this? I assume it's just a phase and won't last but it makes me sad because I want him to love books :(

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

boquiabierta posted:

My kid (20 months) won't let us read books at bedtime anymore. Every book I pick, he shoves it away. I try to let him pick a book out and he refuses. If he does let me read a book, he turns the pages faster than I can read them. Anyone else's kid go through a phase like this? I assume it's just a phase and won't last but it makes me sad because I want him to love books :(

Our son started doing that a few months ago, age 3. We read him a book after brushing his teeth every night at bed and have since he was probably a couple of weeks old. Sometimes he says "I don't want to read" or refuses to pick a book, or throws any book I pick, on the floor. (I hate correct grammar: 'throws on the floor any book I pick'). It comes and goes but most (not all) of the time he still wants a book, even if sometimes he refuses it. Often a refusal is just a bedtime delaying tactic and he'll go to his room without a book being read but then use it as a bargaining chip 'but you didn't read me a book' to come back out. It doesn't work though so he generally lets us read to him but sometimes it's a no book night.

We're driving to a new state next week and it'll be at least 2 days of solid driving so we got him a kids kindle thing from amazon for the drive, he calls it 'my scream'. So he's allowed to use it at bed time while Mom brushes his hair, and sometimes he wants to read a book on that instead now. Last night I was reading a book on that for him (some read themselves and light up the words as they're read! I turned that option off for that book) and he just loving turned the page as I was reading it so I had to just carry on reading the next page.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We've been giving our kids Zyrtec for the last 2 weeks but didn't this weekend and for a few days before, because they were getting an allergy test. They tested negative at the allergy test, which sucks because we were pretty sure they were allergic to something! We started giving them zyrtec again but the baby has a runny nose. We think she's allergic to something at daycare because often we hear 'she was fine when you dropped her off but her nose started running', although yes in the last couple of days, off zyrtec, it's been runny.

This daycare has pretty strict rules due to delta (good!) but the daycare lady is convinced that only one family brings germs to daycare, and it's 100% us. It's not, we barely leave the house. My wife was a librarian but she quit a couple of weeks ago and I work from home. We're both fine of course and only get sick if both of our kids get sick FROM DAYCARE.

Anyway, daycare lady told us yesterday to keep the baby home until we got a doctor's note saying she wasn't sick. We also stupidly told her that the allergy test the day before was negative. So my wife took the kids in for a flu shot today and the doctor gave a note saying she has a runny nose but is not sick, and not contagious, and recently (due to daycare again) got a covid test and was negative, again. Wife took the kids to daycare with the note. Daycare lady: "ok but she has a runny nose and that's against the rules so she has to stay home. She's not allergic to anything so clearly she's sick. Now, as a result of her coming in, OTHER KIDS have runny noses too".

The daycare lady is always saying stuff like "I have never seen kids as sick as yours! They are always sick" and "your kids are the only kids who ever get sick" and "are they warm enough? make sure they wear a jacket! They can get sick!" (it's summer in California, and also 'being cold' and 'getting a cold' are two different things, and their room is the warmest room in the house?) We have since figured out that other kids get sick and she's just lying to us and blaming us. Anyway clearly it's other people bringing sickness into daycare because again, we don't leave the house. But our kid gets blamed because she's got allergies or for whatever reason has a runny nose (she is not sick currently, but that may change if other kids at daycare are getting sick?). We're packing to move and we were going to just deal with the lovely daycare lady until we leave next Friday but my wife got mad at her today and said "fine we're just keeping the baby home from now on" or something. So that loving blows. It sucks that we can't reason with her or tell her it's insanely lovely to blame us, because she's currently looking after our son who, if he were home, would prevent us from doing packing up.

I realise if you don't know me you may be like 'oh my god clearly she's sick and making the other babies at daycare sick and you're insane' but all I can do is promise that whoever is making the kids at daycare sick, it's not us, and the doctor gave us a note saying she's not sick!

edit: I suppose the worst is not really that the kid is home, but that we're being held as the reason for any sickness ever in daycare and we can't just tell the lady to gently caress off because she is still looking after our son, while blaming us for any sickness. And we're super careful! We'd hate to pass sickness over to anyone! As a result of this we've had our kids home for maybe 2 months total of paid daycare time so far this year. So we keep them home when they need to be kept home! It's just that if they're ever sick, they get it from daycare. For instance there was a no-daycare 2 week christmas break (during which we had to pay the full fee for the month of course) in December, and we did not see a single person for christmas. When we put the kids back in daycare, they were both sick as a dog 3 days later. Like, gently caress off, some other parent is partying with sick people all the time but it's not us. So the worst part is being blamed for not being careful when we're being insanely careful. I wear an N95 when I pick my kids up and some parents don't wear a mask, even though there's a sign saying to wear a mask.

edit 2: well, we had a good run, of about 3 weeks with no kids being kept home. It was a golden era, and we'll never see it again.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 22, 2021

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Nice! Always great to see kids into horror.

When mine is old enough, I can’t wait to bust out my Universal Monsters blu-ray set and show her the classics.

My first copy of the Land Before Time was a recorded tape I got for my 2nd birthday from my dad’s friend. It had a Laurel and Hardy short before the movie, so now I always associate those things with each other.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Nessa posted:

My first copy of the Land Before Time was a recorded tape I got for my 2nd birthday from my dad’s friend. It had a Laurel and Hardy short before the movie, so now I always associate those things with each other.

Exact same story here, except it was a few episodes of Cecil and Beany.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Babby now has sneezing and snot out of nowhere, almost certainly brought it home from daycare and she’s gotten stronger since the last time she had a cold, so I fully expect to have a gently caress ton of trouble when I try sucking her nose out like I did this morning :ohdear:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Started the baby on solids and now I can’t set him down in the high chair or eat any food within line of sight without him demanding to be taken to flavortown.

I mean I wasn’t really able to eat anyway, but a second small person grazing from my plate is now imminent.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

Exact same story here, except it was a few episodes of Cecil and Beany.

Oh wow, I vaguely remember that show! I should YouTube some for the baby. I did that with Here Comes the Grump a while back. I had some tapes of the show as a kid and now it’s aaaalllll on YouTube!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I thought my 15mo was trying a one long nap day instead of one with 2 naps.

But nah he was trying just one short nap and now he's hot garbage tearing around the place swinging between wild giggles and terrible cries

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This is maybe a dumb question but how do you schedule time to read a book into your evening routines. My baby takes a bath and then by the end of that is crazy tired and crabby so she wants to nurse and then after nursing usually falls asleep on the bed or if ultra crabby cries and then I rock her and she falls asleep from there, and then repeat nursing and passing out with her waking up and needing to be rocked. I haven't been able to figure out where best to do something like that especially as I've tried to read to her in the evening and not really gotten her to sit still for it.

Also, does it usually take some time for a baby to be interested in books? Mine seems to be not very interested at all in general.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

She's still a newborn right?

I wouldn't add a book into a nighttime routine for a very young baby if they were crabby.

It does take time before they show interest. When my son was a tiny baby we'd just look at books and talk about pictures and words during a time if the day when he was happy and into it. Sometimes that was only like 2 minutes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ours is 10 months and is way more interested in flipping the pages than the actual reading activity. She'll pay attention for all of 20 seconds

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Ours took at least a year to really care about being read to. Prior to that the books that held her interest most were ones with pictures of babies or ones with fun textures.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

sheri posted:

She's still a newborn right?

I wouldn't add a book into a nighttime routine for a very young baby if they were crabby.

It does take time before they show interest. When my son was a tiny baby we'd just look at books and talk about pictures and words during a time if the day when he was happy and into it. Sometimes that was only like 2 minutes.

She's 4 months now so maybe still a bit young. We did get some of those black and white books for her and she's ok with them but not like super interested. This is hard for me to gauge because my mom is always saying she should be read to or watching sesame street by now because I was but as time goes on I'm also realizing my mom has no idea about anything really.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm also realizing my mom has no idea about anything really.

Yeah if your experience is the same as mine and everybody else's that I know, our parents do not remember what the ins and outs and day-to-day work of parenting babies and young children was like at all.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Oh and I recommend the Indestructibles line of books for when babies really want to start turning pages.

They’re basically tyvek books so they can chew on them and not rip the paper and you can wash them in the sink.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Lol yeah 4 months is very early for reading, don't sweat it. My mom did the same thing and was worried that we weren't practicing reciting The Big Book of Colors at 6 months.

That being said there's no harm in trying as long as you have realistic expectations. Our library gave us s free board book full of kid pictures and library facts, and among them was "sometimes reading looks like chewing and that's okay!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I never thought I'd have Nathan Drake on my TV talking to my son about about smashing giant tacos but, here we are.

Thanks, Blaze and the monster machines I guess.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
If you're in an area where it's available, I highly recommend signing up for Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. We received books for my oldest a few times a year in the mail before we moved (frequency depends on the chapter) and they were all pretty great. Their book lists are also very useful if you want an idea of age appropriate books to get or give for kids under 5.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

sheri posted:

Yeah if your experience is the same as mine and everybody else's that I know, our parents do not remember what the ins and outs and day-to-day work of parenting babies and young children was like at all.
They should tell this to all new parents right after their kid is born

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think we went through like 5 months of just straight trying to eat books before they got more interesting.

For her birthday this April , my dad made my 17 month old a laminated picture book of pictures of everyone in the family and tied it together with shoelaces. It took a little while but it's her favorite book now :shobon:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

External Organs posted:

I think we went through like 5 months of just straight trying to eat books before they got more interesting.

For her birthday this April , my dad made my 17 month old a laminated picture book of pictures of everyone in the family and tied it together with shoelaces. It took a little while but it's her favorite book now :shobon:

Awww I love this

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks everyone, I feel very much reassured that I'm not neglecting my baby horribly by not constantly reading to her at this stage. The poo poo that parents say gets under your skin even if you are aware it's mostly bs, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks everyone, I feel very much reassured that I'm not neglecting my baby horribly by not constantly reading to her at this stage. The poo poo that parents say gets under your skin even if you are aware it's mostly bs, you know?

Yeah, the advice we got outside of this thread ended up being largely awful.

Bedtime story started getting done consistently around 8 or 9 months in our house and it's only been in the last 2 or 3 months that he'll sit down for full stories (he's 16 months now).

We will pick out books to read to him during the day but he also has his whole bookshelf and he brings his favorite books to us probably 20 or 30 times a day to be read now.