Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Teachers have become an example of people who are not hustlers or go getters, because people who are obsessed with the hustle stopped brain development at 16 years old when they had to be around teachers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sunswipe posted:

Are you seriously denying that some teachers are paedophiles? No idea where you got the 49% figure from, but I seem to recall you're a teacher, so you'd have a better idea of the numbers than me.

By the way, great job on proving teachers aren't petty control freaks. :thumbsup:

I hope Gene follows through and bans you. Just apologize for saying something so stupid, jeez.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

satanic splash-back posted:

There is nothing more sad than grown rear end adults with strong opinions against teachers. It's a lot of things (lack of maturity, inability to empathize, etc), but it's mostly just sad.

Maybe if you grew up with bad teachers you would think this?

edit: no its the student who grew up with bad teachers who is wrong for not recognizing that not all teachers are bad, lol

edit2: and someone posts some hyperbole and they are required to provide proof of their claim or face a ban in gbs? Because it happened to intersect with a mods job and a few former mods hobbies?

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 22, 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Local Weather posted:

That being said, I have in-laws and relatives that are currently teachers or have retired and I can assure you none of them are pedos. For what it's worth I was never molested in school and I am pretty sure no teacher I ever had has ever been accused of molesting kids.
I mean every time a pedophile lady teacher hooks up with a student it gets lascivious press coverage, so surely you have heard of those. Not that this makes it a common issue. Though just in the years I was in school in my hometown one tennis coach was fired for impregnating a student (I guess she must have turned 17 before it was found out so they could not arrest him due to Illinois' laws?) and my grade school principal killed himself when it came out he had almost certainly been molesting mentally handicapped children for decades.

But like any reasonable person I think teachers are amazing because I have seen that they basically give their entire lives and part of their salaries to the cause

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

A Bakers Cousin posted:

edit: no its the student who grew up with bad teachers who is wrong for not recognizing that not all teachers are bad, lol

edit2: and someone posts some hyperbole and they are required to provide proof of their claim or face a ban in gbs? Because it happened to intersect with a mods job and a few former mods hobbies?

You could say that about any group and why some people could dislike them. It's just not true. And it probably is unfair to ban for hyperbole about teachers but I think lots of us are used to arguing with right-wingers about how bad teachers are that some of us tend to get a bit defensive.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CPL593H posted:

That Starburst commercial from like 15 years ago where the guy sings the berries and cream song is a meme again.

Somehow this Zoomer meme is 40 year old Justin McElroy's fault. Who is known for nothing else at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gY7JBdPhzU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My kids laugh and seem to genuinely find enjoyment out of life.

It's hosed up.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A Bakers Cousin posted:

If you're a grown rear end adult with a working, somewhat rational brain, you would realize that demonizing or otherwise disliking an entire profession because of your own anecdotal experience is also an immature view, regardless of how valid your own experience is to your life.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Young people seem to think their opinion matters at all the internet and thats pretty wierd imo.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Young people seem to think their opinion matters at all the internet and thats pretty wierd imo.

I remember reading on reddit or somewhere a while back a thread asking questions and one of them was "why don't adults respect the opinions of teenagers?" It's not something you can understand until you actually aren't a teenager anymore. I distinctly remember a point in my mid-20's when I was like "oh wow, my parents weren't actually idiots after all...it was I who was the idiot." It just takes time and experience.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

My kids laugh and seem to genuinely find enjoyment out of life.

It's hosed up.

Hmmm. Zoomers strike me as being pretty cynical, but also more energetic and less likely to be whiny useless bitches than us millennials

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Are you seriously denying that some teachers are paedophiles? No idea where you got the 49% figure from, but I seem to recall you're a teacher, so you'd have a better idea of the numbers than me.

By the way, great job on proving teachers aren't petty control freaks. :thumbsup:

I’m so sorry a teacher called you retarded or whatever it was that set you down the path of saying and doubling down on such dumbass poo poo

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
jfc the bootlicking is getting out of hand.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bootlicking ....teachers?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big problem is that teachers are both disrespected and taken for granted as parents expect them to be basically babysitters, and thus don't care to actually pay attention to what they're doing unless they're telling little jakaylyn that black people don't breathe fire or that jesus never endorsed trickle-down economics.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

If you're a grown rear end adult with a working, somewhat rational brain, you would realize that demonizing or otherwise disliking an entire profession because of your own anecdotal experience is also an immature view, regardless of how valid your own experience is to your life.

Guess we better ban all grown rear end adults who post non-rational things without citing proof?

edit: Will we be banning ACAB or anything similar?

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 22, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Guess we better ban all grown rear end adults who post non-rational things without citing proof?

edit: Will we be banning ACAB or anything similar?

The difference is teachers are essential and a foundational part of kids lives and pigs are, well, pigs

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

should've just made fun of the dork for their stupid post, now it has been successfully deflected to be about ~muh rights~ to say dumb poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phlegmish posted:

The decreasing status of teaching as a profession is not a specifically American phenomenon, and it's been going on for decades (in lockstep with it becoming increasingly female-dominated, so it's probably related to some subtle sociological form of misogyny)

Theres no subtle about it

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

should've just made fun of the dork for their stupid post, now it has been successfully deflected to be about ~muh rights~ to say dumb poo poo

mods gonna mod

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big problem is that teachers are both disrespected and taken for granted as parents expect them to be basically babysitters, and thus don't care to actually pay attention to what they're doing unless they're telling little jakaylyn that black people don't breathe fire or that jesus never endorsed trickle-down economics.

Big time this.

Source: Wife is a teacher

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Saying "god bless you" after a queef.

Dropping it like it's hot.

The haircuts.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think another reason for teachers being disrespected beyond just simple right-wing stuff is that the generations before boomers had an almost absolute deference towards teachers and authority when it came to control over children. When boomers grew up they realized that teachers were just like everyone else and that hitting kids and mentally abusing them wasn't kosher any more. I know that when I was a kid the teachers were left in shock when my parents gave them poo poo for being assholes. Even in the mid 80's teachers and principals were generally taken on their word against children. I think right-wingers have run with this to the extreme end in order to get rid of public schools.

Teachers are a real sore spot in society right now because A. They often spend more time with our children than we do. B. A bad teacher can stick out in our minds whereas we tend to forget that most were OK to Great and C. Basic facts are now hot button topics and teachers can impose their political bent in the classroom or it can be imposed from the outside. I don't envy teachers.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Everything either has to entertain the group, show off, or put down someone else.

I guess some things never change because this hits pretty close to home considering my own friend group back in ancient times.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Things I've seen goons do that confuse me: not get that genesplicer's post was funny.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Real talk, when I first noticing some young people doing ironic memes in the early 2010s, I was very confused and just couldn't follow what they were doing. Used to be you just put big text over funny pictures. The new ironic, self-referential, post-modern memes made no sense to me. Took me like years to "get" it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vegetable posted:

Real talk, when I first noticing some young people doing ironic memes in the early 2010s, I was very confused and just couldn't follow what they were doing. Used to be you just put big text over funny pictures. The new ironic, self-referential, post-modern memes made no sense to me. Took me like years to "get" it.

Some memes are like 3 levels deep now. A reference to a reference to a reference. If you don't know all of the references you prolly won't get it... I don't get them either.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sunswipe posted:

Are you seriously denying that some teachers are paedophiles? No idea where you got the 49% figure from

100-51=49

Hope this helps

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
My 15-year-old niece wore a linen sport coat, button-down shirt, and necktie to a pool party.

And she used a four-in-hand knot instead of a half-Windsor!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

My 15-year-old niece wore a linen sport coat, button-down shirt, and necktie to a pool party.

Good on her; the half Windsor is a bit too chunky.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

That's "drip," I reckon.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My algebra teacher in highschool was openly dating a student that graduated the year before. But the rest of my teachers were married to adults, so anecdotally, teachers mainly aren't pedophiles

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
This is a text based forum so it seems a little silly to even mention it, but holy gently caress do a lot of adults straight up never read a book again once they drop out or graduate.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

chainchompz posted:

This is a text based forum so it seems a little silly to even mention it, but holy gently caress do a lot of adults straight up never read a book again once they drop out or graduate.

I am kinda guilty of this. Reading online is just easier but a better point would be that school probably makes kids hate reading books due to summer reading and poo poo.

Is there a The Hatchet fanbase out there? I must know!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I hardly had to read any books in school. The only one I can think of is The Hatchet and we may have read that in class. I can't remember.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Some of my favourite books ever were ones I was assigned to read in high school. I know I was the outlier tho. Most students loathed the books. The Great Gatsby is one of my favourites, I think it's brilliant. I loved the assignment to write our own chapter in the style that was meant to slot in somewhere in the book.

Most people seemed to start hating books around that time haha.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sometimes young people form bands that play perfect 1982 hardcore or rap like its 93 again and I wonder why they’re larping and not auto tune mumble rapping or whatever it is the wee ones call it nowadays

Maybe it’s like civil war re-enactments to them

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

Sometimes young people form bands that play perfect 1982 hardcore or rap like its 93 again and I wonder why they’re larping and not auto tune mumble rapping or whatever it is the wee ones call it nowadays

they're emulating styles that appeal to them and idg how this is remotely confusing to anyone

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

pnac attack posted:

they're emulating styles that appeal to them and idg how this is remotely confusing to anyone

Ah I see now, thank you sonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Snowy posted:

To be fair, early to mid 90's rap was p loving good. the 90's was full of good poo poo like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKO43xG66OI

What I find interesting is a resurgence of city pop, late 80's japanese pop. They're also re-doing crooner stuff. It's kind of like a nostalgia for a time that we never experienced. Young people are re-doing stuff in a very cool way

Ginger Root - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-WTfP3WJc4
Phum Viphurit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-NvRbtfrQ

IMO Rap has stagnated in much the same way that rock did. It's still super popular and catchy but very formulaic.