Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Takayasu/Teruynofuji: Terunofuji has definitely thrown people off the dohyo harder than necessary before, but I think this one was an accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipw79eCFDtQ&t=105s

Watching it in slow motion, it looks less like Terunofuji yeeting him off the edge and more like Takayasu falling awkwardly after he tries to catch his balance by planting his foot on nothing. I think he'd have been fine if they'd been at one of the corners of the dohyo because that foot would have come down on solid ground and he'd have had a step or two of room to balance.

It's definitely a good argument for either lowering the dohyo or expanding the platform anothercouple of feet or so on each side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

pseudodragon posted:

Hak got called out all the time for extra shoves at the end, hard slaps, etc., but there’s not much they could have done to prime Hak. I don’t recall Harumafuji or Kakuryu getting called out for unnecessary roughness (in ring anyways).

Fair point on Kakuryu. If anything, at least towards the end his problem was his sumo getting too defensive and moving backwards a lot to slap guys down.

Yokozuna Shodai will bring a quiet, confusing dignity to the rank.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think I'm turning into a shodai fan, hes just so consistently baffling.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Southpaugh posted:

I think I'm turning into a shodai fan, hes just so consistently baffling.

I think he's going to be like, a career 8-7 Ozeki.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Vargatron posted:

Just constantly oscillating between kachi koshi and make koshi. 3 basho a year kadoban.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

whats for dinner posted:

Just constantly oscillating between kachi koshi and make koshi. 3 basho a year kadoban.

As a Shodai diehard allow me to paraphrase the IRA, you have to be lucky every time, we only have to be lucky once twice in a row.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Most Realistic Path to 74th Yokozuna Shodai

1) With Terunofuji establishing himself as a dominant Yokozuna, the old men are less forgiving of Hakuho missing so much and he retires.
2) Terunofuji's knees are going to blow up at some point and he'll be done done when that happens. If that's in the reasonable near future after a Hakuho retirement, the top is vacant.
3) Takakeisho's ability to stay at ozeki feels iffy, much less getting to Yokozuna.
4) There are a lot of great young guys but they haven't quite established themselves at the top level. Older great like Takayasu don't seem capable of hitting their peaks and will slide down.
5) With the two Yokozuna potentially gone, Takakeisho falling down the banzuke and no obvious young guys ready for the top, Shodai's consistent high level good enough gets him the 2-3 more wins a basho to get his two yusho.

It all hinges on Terunofuji's knees and how quickly the Kotonowaka, Hoshoryu et all group get to their potential ceilings.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Shiroc posted:

The Most Realistic Path to 74th Yokozuna Shodai

It all hinges on Terunofuji's knees and how quickly the Kotonowaka, Hoshoryu et all group get to their potential ceilings.

Even without retirements we're pretty likely still going to see a few Yokozuna-free basho in the next year. Shodai picks up a win as the highest ranker left, then beats or even loses to a dinged up Teru/Hakuho and there you go.

Oh, and he's Japanese because like it or not, it matters.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Vargatron posted:

God, this reminded me that you whippersnappers who only started watching in the last 10 years never got to experience Old Man Kaio slowly grinding his way to the (then) all-time win record, one excruciating 8-7/9-6 at a time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Apraxin posted:

God, this reminded me that you whippersnappers who only started watching in the last 10 years never got to experience Old Man Kaio slowly grinding his way to the (then) all-time win record, one excruciating 8-7/9-6 at a time.

and later got implicated in those being match fixed

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lid posted:

and later got implicated in those being match fixed
I don't think so? There were always rumors that the other Ozeki were doing him favors and that was how he kept going for so drat long, but no-one in regular sanyaku or above got caught up in the yaocho ring.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Apraxin posted:

I don't think so? There were always rumors that the other Ozeki were doing him favors and that was how he kept going for so drat long, but no-one in regular sanyaku or above got caught up in the yaocho ring.

In September 2008 Wakanoho, a wrestler who had been expelled for cannabis use, claimed he was forced to accept bribes to forfeit sumo matches. He implicated ozeki Kotooshu, then juryo wrestler Kasuganishiki and later ozeki Kaio and Chiyotaikai. He would later retract these claims, but then changed his position in 2011 yet again, when definitive allegations of match-fixing came to light.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh, yeah. Wakanoho basically implicated every current sekitori and said every tournament was fixed from top to bottom, which... well, after the yaocho ring anything could be true, but I guess you kind of have to take that with a grain of salt to enjoy sumo as a sport?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

See ya in November Takayasu.

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Liquid Communism posted:

Why would you ever be able to trade for Tochi?

Not having Tochinoshin in your stable shows a distinct lack of fighting spirit. :colbert:

I will draft him as long as he is available, friend :colbert:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

rest up big guy. you'd have lost the last three for me anyway.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Any word on what Takayasu's injury is? Looks like his foot or shoulder got it bad.

Also I've broken through the last veneer of irony and am now all in on #1 North American Shodai fangirl. Rooting for my future Yokozuna.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Shiroc posted:

Any word on what Takayasu's injury is? Looks like his foot or shoulder got it bad.

Also I've broken through the last veneer of irony and am now all in on #1 North American Shodai fangirl. Rooting for my future Yokozuna.

Right hip.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A truly impressive showing by Meisei. Teru never got a chance to breathe or recover after the initial charge. Impressive!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I know he's sekiwake but I never expected Meisei to do it, especially on current form. Fair play to him. Still think the yusho is in the bag for Terunofuji. I can't see any of the 9-3 guys pulling an upset off.

Shodai is basically Goeido 2.0, barely but consistently pulling off precisely what is needed to keep ozeki rank, and not much more beyond that.

Tochinoshin is like the dog that's realized halfway in the car that it's headed to the vet.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think it was a problem for Terunofuji to lift his leg during the attempted trip. Meisei may not be having the best basho, but he's skilled enough to use that. Now Terunofuji is on one knee, which is no good for him and he's having to steady himself. Meisei was able to swing him round and that did it, Terunofuji couldn't support his weight and he had to go off the dohyo. this really opens up the title race Takakeisho is putting in some great push sumo, Shodai must be sensing blood and Mitakeumi will be no push over.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Beeswax posted:

A truly impressive showing by Meisei. Teru never got a chance to breathe or recover after the initial charge. Impressive!

It was a big start for Meisei and a very cool match.

Bit of a downer for Ura to hit makekoshi today. :(

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I got the Terunofuji tegata print in the mail today. Are these handprints actual size? If so, I expected his hand to be way bigger!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

They are made with the rikishi's real hand. It's sorta funny that Teru's hand isn't super big, although I guess abdominal and leg mass doesn't necessarily correlate with hand span.

REGARDING 2ND WEEK KYUJO

I can't think of a fair way to do anything different with kyujo this basho. There are several fantasy players that lost rikishi in week 1 and didn't request a trade. There are also players that lost Kotonowaka week 2 and requested a trade. Now Takayasu is out. I think this is just a cursed basho, with 5 withdrawals mid-basho, and 2 returns. Amusingly, the 2 of the rikishi who withdrew first week returned, messing everything up even further, since Tsurugisho could totally get KK. If you count the Miyagino absences and Asanoyama's suspension we're up to 8 kyujo and 2 returns. Bad times.

We'll figure something out for next basho. Currently I'm leaning toward auto-trades for kyujo, where you get the next available rikishi in your draft request unless you make a specific alternate request (either to hold your rikishi, or an alternate trade). If none of your choices are available and you don't request an alternative you're boned. Regular draft wire and point penalties will apply.

Let me know if you have a strong opposition to the rule change for Kyushu, but I agree with Scythe that the trading and draft wire penalties (plus the inherent loss of getting the traded rikishi's MK on your record) are sufficient for fairness. If you follow the position of Khizan and the JSA that it's not sumo if normal human failings aren't brutally punished, uh, speak up.

OKAY. Time for results. We're getting in kachi- and make-koshi, and there are a lot of make-koshi. The fantasy gino-sho is going to be especially prestigious this tournament.

Day 12 standings

Makuuchi

code:
42	Maigius
40.5	Banana Canada
39.5	anakha
38.5	Brut
38.5	Fluffdaddy
38.5	pseudodragon
37.5	bartolimu
37.5	LlamaTrauma
37	MalarkeyToboggan
37	Tochiazuma
36.5	captainblastum
36.5	scripterror
36	bessantj
35.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
35.5	GoatSeeGuy
34.5	Skjorte
34	Tiny Bug Child
33.5	Dias
33.5	Pakled
33	jmzero
32.5	Marching Powder
31	Bellwether
30.5	QuasiQuack
30.5	whats for dinner
30	sivad
29.5	Kenning
28	Khizan
28	KungFu Grip
27.5	Beeswax
27.5	Charles Gnarwin
27.5	Lid
27	MyChemicalImbalance
26.5	Thauros
25.5	Chinook
25.5	Helianthus Annuus
25	Vargatron
24	Scythe
Juryo

code:
43	Crusty Nutsack
39	ilmucche
39	Robviously
38	Ice Phisherman
37.5	Diplomat
36.5	Eli949
35	Liquid Communism
34	Shiroc
33	Takuan
32	Netsky
32	Spokes
30	Gaghskull
30	Halloween Jack
29.5	Martytoof
28	Teddybear
27.5	Communist Thoughts
27.5	Iron Chef Nex
25.5	Firebatgyro
25.5	Jobbo_Fett
24.5	NuclearPotato

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning, regarding the bonus for kachi-koshi. I traded Hoshoryu for Wakatakakage on day 5, if Wakatakakage goes KK do I get a bonus for that or is it only from original picks? Thanks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
drat, there are rikishi flying all over the place in the makuuchi today

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

bessantj posted:

Kenning, regarding the bonus for kachi-koshi. I traded Hoshoryu for Wakatakakage on day 5, if Wakatakakage goes KK do I get a bonus for that or is it only from original picks? Thanks.

You get the kachi-koshi for any rikishi that you hold on day 15 if you received them before they earned their kachi-koshi. Under current rules that will include all trades, since they're all made by day 8. If we change the rules to allow auto-trading it might not apply, but in your case you will get both Wakatakakage's KK bonus as well as Hoshoryu's MK penalty. If Hoshoryu had managed a kachi-koshi after you traded him away you would not receive his KK bonus (because of your faithlessness).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

You get the kachi-koshi for any rikishi that you hold on day 15 if you received them before they earned their kachi-koshi. Under current rules that will include all trades, since they're all made by day 8. If we change the rules to allow auto-trading it might not apply, but in your case you will get both Wakatakakage's KK bonus as well as Hoshoryu's MK penalty. If Hoshoryu had managed a kachi-koshi after you traded him away you would not receive his KK bonus (because of your faithlessness).

The most correct justice system the world has ever known.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Speaking of faithlessness of course Endo is in yusho contention the time I forsake him for a hairy Brazilian who doesn’t realize he’s a giant. Serves me right and I will take my demotion as punishment.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Dead last going into the final weekend, and from M17e on the goonzuke. Why did I explicitly say "gotta stay out of fantasy juryo!" when submitting my picks?

It's great having Teru be my only KK rikishi and having two kyujo guys. It fuckin rules, actually

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Scythe posted:

Dead last going into the final weekend, and from M17e on the goonzuke. Why did I explicitly say "gotta stay out of fantasy juryo!" when submitting my picks?

It's great having Teru be my only KK rikishi and having two kyujo guys. It fuckin rules, actually

Mood. I'm going to fantasy makushita at this rate.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My fav thing about this basho is how Chiyomaru has really upped his game imo I hope he gets his kachi-koshi

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Man, I'll want to audit my points, but I'll happy to be in first in Makuuchi right now.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've been really happy with Tochinoshin the past few days. He's taken 5 straight wins and he's 7-6. Really hoping he gets his KK this time. He looked surprisingly good in his fight against Chiyonokuni, like he finally realized that he's a ridiculous giant who can slap people out of the ring without stressing his knee.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 24, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Khizan posted:

I've been really happy with Tochinoshin the past few days. He's taken 5 straight wins and he's 7-6. Really hoping he gets his KK this time. He looked surprisingly good in his fight against Chiyonokuni, like he finally realized that he's a ridiculous giant who can slap people out of the ring without stressing his knee.

Hell yeah. From 2-6 to 7-6, gotta have faith in the big guy.

Kiribiyama, however...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Khizan posted:

The boys rolling back the years. I'm hoping he'll win tomorrow and secure his first winning score since November last year.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
75th Yokozuna Chiyomaru if we lived in the most beautiful world.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shiroc posted:

75th Yokozuna Chiyomaru if we lived in the most beautiful world.

I'm waiting for Endo to get his poo poo together.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Hell yeah. From 2-6 to 7-6, gotta have faith in the big guy.

Kiribiyama, however...

TBH I am sort of expecting one of his Big Man Henkas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lot of second-week surges going on. Incredibly pleased that Takakeisho has cleared his kadoban, since it made it easier for me to root for Myogiryu today and enjoy his tawara ballet.

I feel like special prizes are going to have a big impact on fantasy this basho, since we've got 3 rank-and-file yusho chasers, and Daieisho got a kinboshi (which typically would qualify one for an outstanding performance prize). Super interested to hear what gets announced on that front.

Day 13 standings

Makuuchi

code:
44.5	Banana Canada
42.5	anakha
42.5	Brut
42.5	Fluffdaddy
41.5	Maigius
41.5	Tochiazuma
41	MalarkeyToboggan
40.5	bartolimu
40.5	captainblastum