Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kazy posted:

Absolutely do not skip 3-2, you can do a subquest that will give you a charm to get past the gate by yourself, and if you don't do it you miss out on it forever.

i read the guide it told me not to skip! so I'm not skipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Got a friendly puppeteer to open the gate for me, turned it in, and then accidentally accepted again because it's repeatable and it turns out you CANNOT quit a mission after you accepted it so I dropped 150k on rusty daggers because like gently caress was I gonna go back there and farm wendigos for three hours, even if I did have a portal charm now

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Got a friendly puppeteer to open the gate for me, turned it in, and then accidentally accepted again because it's repeatable and it turns out you CANNOT quit a mission after you accepted it so I dropped 150k on rusty daggers because like gently caress was I gonna go back there and farm wendigos for three hours, even if I did have a portal charm now

I wish this whole post could be the thread title

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Badger of Basra posted:

i read the guide it told me not to skip! so I'm not skipping

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Portal_Charm

Okay yeah it seems you can give her a rolanberry and after you finish the mission she'll give you the charm.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The real answer is to skip it and if you ever need to go through the door again use Tako.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Quick add on question: what’s the best way y’all keep track of party buffs? I’ve been using Timers plug in and it’s bad, and the more I’m playing COR or RDM I’m paranoid I’m missing something.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

keep it down up there! posted:

The real answer is to skip it and if you ever need to go through the door again use Tako.

I recommend and don’t recommend this at the same time. It is so useful to make a lot of this game tolerable but drat if you don’t just end up abusing the hell out of it and become unable to play the game the normal way, fretting every month that you will be banned.

I used Tako to make so much money in Odyssey farming chests. I’d just bump myself under the ground and zip around using tako the whole time. You can open every single chest and blaze through it in 7 minutes. Mimics will not attack you when you’re underground.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ideally you’re not fretting but secretly hoping you’re released from this game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
To be banned is to be free

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Free to start over !!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That's my thinking. If SE bans me they would be doing me a favor at this point.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

stopped playing for two weeks and now I can't remember what the hell I was doing

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I tried out the trial after not playing since 2005ish and I want more. Anyone have a gold pass? I think I want to play on Bahamut or any of the somewhat populated but not crazy populated servers, so I'm open to whatever

e: Also, is there a current goon discord? There's nothing FFXI related in the various other discords I'm in

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 14, 2021

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I think most goons are on Asura, I am not so I cant provide a gold pass. But here is our Discord: https://discord.gg/Wg2JE4Z2Bu

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So i was thinking of playing this again after a very long time, how are the private servers that I've heard about, like Eden?

Are they free to play on or do I have to pay something to play?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Koorisch posted:

So i was thinking of playing this again after a very long time, how are the private servers that I've heard about, like Eden?

Are they free to play on or do I have to pay something to play?

Free to play on, pain in the rear end to get set up though, it seems like

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

star eater posted:

Free to play on, pain in the rear end to get set up though, it seems like

Do you know in what way or is it something that I would have to join their Discord for?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Koorisch posted:

Do you know in what way or is it something that I would have to join their Discord for?

Actually looking at Eden's install I guess it's pretty easy? I must've been thinking of some other server, that seemed kinda complicated. https://edenxi.com/install

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

star eater posted:

Actually looking at Eden's install I guess it's pretty easy? I must've been thinking of some other server, that seemed kinda complicated. https://edenxi.com/install

So these are legit to play on then, I don't need something like a VPN or whatever?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Koorisch posted:

So these are legit to play on then, I don't need something like a VPN or whatever?

Nah, you don't need a VPN afaik/or remember. Should just work. Whether SE throws a fit one day and shuts it down, who knows.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Edens install is super easy and the server is moderated well IMO. I’ve been playing there off and on since 2017 and enjoy it a lot

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Private servers stink. Just play retail.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Private servers are fun. You should give them a shot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Private servers exist

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
The supernova private server was pretty good for a nice approximation of 75 cap COP era with the difficulty tuned way down

Haven't played there in a few years though so I dunno if it's still decent

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

private servers are great if you're unemployed and have literally infinite time, otherwise retail is better in basically every sense. I levelled a character to like 60 on Nasomi before I got a job, then took a RDM to cap on retail during the beginning of the pandemic and the latter was much more rewarding.

Figurant
Mar 16, 2005

November Version Update Notes: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/58770-November-10-2021-%28JST%29-Version-Update

quote:

A new system, Master Levels, has been added.

-What are master levels?

Master levels are a new job advancement system for those jobs for which a player has achieved job master status.
Increasing one’s master level will increase both basic attributes :siren:and the maximum level of one’s support job.:siren:

-Unlocking the Master Levels feature.

Players must speak with the Nomad Moogle in Ru’Lude Gardens (H-5) after meeting the following conditions in order to receive the Master Breaker key item.

Be level 99 in your current job.
Have achieved job master status in your current job.

-Gaining master levels.

Players will earn exemplar point by defeating enemies while the following conditions are true.

Be in possession of the Master Breaker key item.
Be level 99 in your current job.
Have achieved job master status in your current job.
Defeat an enemies whose strength as displayed with /check is Easy Prey or higher.

-Increasing Your Master Level

Your master level starts at 0.
Your master level will increase when you accumulate a certain number of experience points, and you will receive the following benefits.

For every mastery level you earn, you and your pet’s basic attributes and combat/magic skill caps will be increased.

For every five mastery levels your earn, your support job level cap will be increased by 1.

-Notes

Enemy strength as displayed by /check only serves as a rough guide as to whether or not you will earn exemplar points for defeating a foe. Note that enemies who /check as “Took Weak” may still yield experience and limit points.
* The monsters to which the above applies will be marked as “Very Easy Prey” in the December 2021 version update.

“Style-change” abilities such as Composure remain unusable even if your support job is level 50 or higher.

Exemplar point gains are unaffected by rings and other equipment earned from various campaigns that confer a bonus to experience point gains.
* Note that corsair roll effects are properly applied.

Players will lose a certain amount of exemplar points if they are defeated.

Master level can decrease when knocked out if the amount of exemplar points lost would push them below the threshold of the previous level.

A certain amount of lost exemplar points will be returns if a player is brought back from the brink by effects such as the white magic spells Raise and Reraise.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
That will really shake up builds depending on how high you can get your support job. Also lol at it being so easily bottable.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Dho Gates is gonna be fuckin LIT

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wonder if it'll eventually be 99/99

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Would have been more excited if they allowed me to change my job/subjob on the fly instead of going back to my house.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Ort posted:

I recommend and don’t recommend this at the same time. It is so useful to make a lot of this game tolerable but drat if you don’t just end up abusing the hell out of it and become unable to play the game the normal way, fretting every month that you will be banned.

I used Tako to make so much money in Odyssey farming chests. I’d just bump myself under the ground and zip around using tako the whole time. You can open every single chest and blaze through it in 7 minutes. Mimics will not attack you when you’re underground.

Using Clipper made the game way easier for me but yeah definitely use in moderation. I also had a banwish so I started using it at every opportunity, I ended up quitting like a month after that. I felt like using it made me less patient with parts of the game I couldn't skip. I quickly stopped being scared of getting banned, I might have just been lucky but I just figured nobody cared or that anyone who could figure out I was clipping was probably a user themselves.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you'd be shocked the black magic you can pull off with just windower scripts

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Posted in discord, but crossposting here:

quote:

looking at which each job gets from 50-53:
/war: nothing new
/mnk: kick attacks, yay for pup lol
/whm: curaga 3 + divine veil, cool for sch and healing rdms i guess?
/blm: nothing noteworthy
/thf: nothing noteworthy
/pld: nothing noteworthy
/drk: attack bonus 3 i guess? already a pretty good sub so that's nice
/bst: no clue if this unlocks some crazy pet or something but looks like nothing notable
/brd: blade madrigal i guess? lol
/rng: accuracy bonus 3 seems like the biggest benefit, but maybe unlimited shot + dead aim are useful for cors that like pewpewing?
/sam: STP 3 + Zanshin 3 hell loving yes
/nin: nothing noteworthy
/drg: acc bonus 2 + super jump makes this seem like it's getting the best poo poo from mastery levels
/smn: max mp boost lol
/blu: SELF DESTRUCT FUCKYEAR - no real notable spells or job traits, unless one of the new spells has a huge enmity value that'd be good for tanks subbing blu. extra blue magic points / slots seems good
/cor: random deal gently caress yes
/pup: idk looks like nothing
/dnc: building flourish might actually be huge, that's a FUCKTON of extra damage to some WSs, though maybe i'm just used to using it as a mastered dnc with tons of JSE etc
/sch: an extra charge and lowered charge refill time is actually pretty huge for rdm/sch, and also adds stona which was i think the only -na spell /sch was missing
/geo: they get life cycle, i guess? doesn't seem like much else useful
/run: valiance is super useful for PLD and really any DD that needs to fight something with AOE magic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PUP/MNK is back on the menu bois

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Carmant posted:

Private servers are fun. You should give them a shot.

I have, they aren't for me. I can't get past the incomplete features, incorrect formulas, and quite often terrible admins who play favourites with their friends linkshells.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 11, 2021

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
Hey y'all I played some FFXI at the tail end of my covid-bux-sustained unemployment 5/6 months ago, played some of the live free trial then decided to hop on Nasomi. I had to quit since I had to get employed again to not be homeless but forcing myself to try and play FFXIV to hang out with friends and not enjoying the leveling at all (had to start from scratch after already doing ARR on another account due to how the free trial accounts work,) has got me itching to poke around in Vana'diel again. Last thing I did was try and fail a solo run to Valkurm Dunes it was unironically really rad. I don't have expectations to get actual groups together at this point and farm due to lack of free time but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for just like snooping around the world? As far as consumables and spells and pathing stuff for getting around mobs, just to see the zones and soak in the atmosphere. I'm playing a Tarutaru WHM. I had a lot of fun looking around ancient FFXI guides and forum threads while getting ready to go to Valkurm so I'll prob do that anyway to, just wanted to ask here.

ainda_ fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 12, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
In modern ffxi you can easily solo your way not just to 99, but well into all but the hardest endgame content. In fact, for most pieces of content it's actually quite a lot easier to solo than trying to deal with other people.

What makes it so easy is the "trust" system that let's you summon NPC party members which are very capable, often more so than players up until lv99.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
Yeah I should say retail FFXI is not really an option atm unfortunately, I can't really be paying an MMO subscription rn. Plus the danger is part of the fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighty
Jun 15, 2005

ainda_ posted:

Yeah I should say retail FFXI is not really an option atm unfortunately, I can't really be paying an MMO subscription rn. Plus the danger is part of the fun for me.

CatsEyeXI is a private server with some trusts available if that interests you. You can easily solo to the lvl 75 cap.
Beyond that, sneak/invis on whm, or spectral jig on dnc if you just want to sight see