Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Any reason I shouldn't just ramp up steel beam construction like an idiot, let it manufacture at highest speed into a storage box, so that I can build Mk3 conveyors everywhere?

Also, I suppose I should create minifactories for specific components? I saw all kinds of modular designs over on reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any reason I shouldn't just ramp up steel beam construction like an idiot, let it manufacture at highest speed into a storage box, so that I can build Mk3 conveyors everywhere?

Also, I suppose I should create minifactories for specific components? I saw all kinds of modular designs over on reddit.

That's essentially what I've been doing, it doesn't really take that much.

Also steel beams stack in 200s.

I use level 1 to throttle inputs sometimes though

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Produce everything into boxes, so you always have supplies to build an arbitrary number of anything!

A thing most people do, once they're past the initial learning stage, is make a storage room: everything your base produces, feed the excess into boxes so you can easily grab whatever you need. You need the smart splitter to do that properly (the smart splitter has an option for overflow -- an exit where it'll send whatever can't fit out the other outputs). That's in the caterium MAM tree.

But you won't really need a ton of constructors worth of steel beams to keep up with conveyor needs, or most other things you build by hand.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There is no correct answer to your large-scale organization. This is my favorite thing about the game, there's no optimal "you should do this".

You can do single-item modular minifactories. You can do a giant monolithic megabase that makes everything. You can do something in-between, with distributed factories that make a selection of items based on the local resources (this is what I do). It entirely depends on what system works best with your brain, and what you like to do. For example if you don't like designing complex factory systems, then using the blueprint things on reddit might be right for you.

The important thing to know is, at the higher levels the game becomes a whole lot about transport logistics. Even with the megabase factory it needs a lot of transport to bring resources to feed it. Trains are the best way to handle that, so thinking ahead to how you might use long-range transport is something to consider.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I put storage between literally every step in any factory/automation games and you cannot stop me :colbert:

Miner>box>smelters>box>constructors>box>assemblers>box

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I put storage between literally every step in any factory/automation games and you cannot stop me :colbert:

I stopped doing that when I realized the buffers in the machines are usually enough to pluck out what I need.

Not before I made a whole mall in the early game though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A lot of stuff used to have much smaller stack sizes, and while keeping 30 stacks of 100 plates around, so that you could come by and get 4-600 was still overkill, machine hoppers weren’t quite enough for how inconvenient it is to crawl all over everything.

In particular Concrete used to stack to 100, for serious platform/building work you’d be pulling 10 stacks of that at a time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The reason I would advise against putting storage boxes between literally every set of machines is because a bazillion boxes will become a CPU problem. A box has 2 or 4 IO ports, and has some logic for adding items into slot stacks and removing items to the output. The game is CPU constrained, so if you plan to build big you don't want to do completely wasteful stuff.

It's not a big deal for your starting base or anything. A normal number of boxes is not gonna matter. But if you did that everywhere in the world, 1 box for every 2 machines, will likely cause you to hit performance problems a whole lot faster.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

The game is CPU constrained,

*Unless you're an idiot like me and you build your entire huge factory in one place, with lots of glass floors and walls for good measure (also my GTX 1070 is getting pretty dated by this point)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Triarii posted:

(also my GTX 1070 is getting pretty dated by this point)

But its gonna have to last at least another 5 years!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

The game is CPU constrained, so if you plan to build big you don't want to do completely wasteful stuff.
Upgrading to 5995WX to play Satisfactory...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tried messing about with a multiplexed bus, i.e. merging and balancing poo poo from collection sites over multiple belts and then taking things apart again at the collection/processing site with smart splitters and mergers. Looks nice, but what a pain in the rear end to set up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had to have this pointed out to me in this thread, so in case you also overlooked this steel beams and reinforced iron plates cost the same amount of iron ore to make on default recipe, so there’s not a need to use Mk2 belts once you have mk3s.

Most of my factories now are mk1s or mk3s, rarely do I need more than 270/m. I’m carrying around basic iron plates for other reasons anyway so I have mk1 stuff hotkeyed alongside the 3s.

I picked up a mod I think called Item Dispensers, which transfer one stack per click without needing to open them, and also will top off the partial stack in your inventory on the first interact, if you set them that way. It also includes Hoppers, which pull a configurable variety of items out of your inventory on interact. Both come in three sizes with escalating internal storages, and belt I/O ports as appropriate. It’s such a QOL upgrade that I might actually be waiting for mods to update after the next content release instead of diving in to see stuff.

I’ve actually not gotten past trains and computers since the release with the hoverpack (and thus have never tried it), so I guess there’s no rush. It all works without personal drones or teleportation logistics (beyond the conceit of video game inventory transfer anyway), and the author even included little screen widgets which display the inventory icon of the material dispensed. If ~I~ were a game dev studio I would be willing to offer a couple hours’ pay in exchange for taking the mod assets and such onboard.

e: it’s so good and seamless that I forgot I’d put cargo cans for leaves and wood inline, under the deck my HUB areas is built on, and rebuilt the place to allow larger Hoppers so things wouldn’t back up.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 22, 2021

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Leal posted:

But its gonna have to last at least another 5 years!
the sad thing is i can't tell if you're making a serious estimate or exaggerating for effect

because i've thought the same thing about my 1080

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

LonsomeSon posted:

Most of my factories now are mk1s or mk3s, rarely do I need more than 270/m.

I reached mk5 belts a while ago and have enough alclad plate production that I just use nothing but Mk5 belts even if I only need a tiny fraction of the throughput. It's kind of the same deal for me from DSP where once you can manufacture 30/s belts I never use anything else.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just started playing and I’m enjoying it a lot, I’m trying desperately to avoid spaghetti in my factory and it is not working so far

I really hate having to go gather leaves like an rear end in a top hat to power anything and it’s preventing me from building more poo poo because I don’t want to manually fuel it. Shouldn’t I be able to like burn coal or something? I’m working on the space elevator now, hopefully that will open more up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Embrace the spaghetti imo

Coal is a mid tier power source.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ash1138 posted:

the sad thing is i can't tell if you're making a serious estimate or exaggerating for effect

because i've thought the same thing about my 1080

I keep seeing rumors that graphics cards will finally restock every other month or so. Either it never actually happens or if it does, bots buy out all the stock in seconds like when the RTX 3000 series first launched. I've been using a GTX 1070 since around the time they first launched and I'm really hoping it doesn't die since trying to get basically any modern card for an acceptable price is impossible. If it bricked tomorrow I would probably end up replacing it with another 1070 and paying more than when it first released five years ago.

Thumbtacks posted:

I just started playing and I’m enjoying it a lot, I’m trying desperately to avoid spaghetti in my factory and it is not working so far

I really hate having to go gather leaves like an rear end in a top hat to power anything and it’s preventing me from building more poo poo because I don’t want to manually fuel it. Shouldn’t I be able to like burn coal or something? I’m working on the space elevator now, hopefully that will open more up.

Don't worry about spaghetti too much, factories will run fine even if they're not aesthetically pleasing. If you're looking to tidy things up for future builds I always recommend looking up a basic video on how to set up manifolds.

Everyone hates biomass burners and most experienced players will treat the early game as a race to get away from them as fast as possible. Check the requirements for unlocking coal generators and focus on getting there above everything else.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Are you just putting raw leaves and wood into the generators? You get a fuel you can make from them pretty early. It doesn’t stop it from being annoying having to go make it but it lasts longer.

^^^^^Disagree on bumrushing coal. You can spend 15 minutes gathering with a chainsaw and get enough solid biofuel to last a few hours

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 22, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I reached mk5 belts a while ago and have enough alclad plate production that I just use nothing but Mk5 belts even if I only need a tiny fraction of the throughput. It's kind of the same deal for me from DSP where once you can manufacture 30/s belts I never use anything else.

Oh yeah, I usually skip mk4 like I do mk2 now, except basically in the initial aluminum refinery, and swap to all mk5 once that comes in and I’ve got a train delivering alclad to my malls (once I have trains I tend to get started on mall trains, connecting my initial mall to trains, and a second mall build at another major hub, but burn out somewhere in there).

I just picked up the exosuit mod, which used to function like a jetpack bladerunner with a running boost option. It now does jetpack bladerunner, but has a second fuel reserve which powers thrusters that let you accelerate and change direction while midair, and, uh, this game is 300% more fun now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Thumbtacks posted:

Embrace The Spaghet

More seriously: Coal is the first self-fueling power you get. You'll need: coal nodes + water and everything coal onwards is 100% on/not self regulating (besides geysers/geothermal) because this is a game of throughput.

Before then, make sure you have a setup to crunch those leaves and wood into biomass, and then crunch that into a giant storage container stack of Solid Biofuel.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i have been crunching it all manually because i didn't think about making a machine do it, i should probably just do that instead. i do have a chainsaw now though so that should help. I have plans for factory designs (there's a big cascade steel mill near my house and I want to build something like it) but i'm not going to bother until I have enough power to sustain something like that.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

i have been crunching it all manually because i didn't think about making a machine do it, i should probably just do that instead. i do have a chainsaw now though so that should help. I have plans for factory designs (there's a big cascade steel mill near my house and I want to build something like it) but i'm not going to bother until I have enough power to sustain something like that.

Yeah, the way to make it stress free is an automated mulching line where you just dump leaves into one container and wood into another, and then the finished biomass just winds up in another container you can loot. Ideally positioned right next to all your generators so you just run down the line refuelling and you're good to go.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I set up a stack of containers, and put wood in the bottom one and leaves into the top one, feed each into a machine set to process whatever into Biomass, then merge and split the outputs of those into three machines set to process Biomass into Solid Biofuel. Once you’re done running Alien Carapace through the MAM you can add another machine processing Carapace into Biomass as well.

I usually merge the outputs of those Biofuel machines and feed it into a storage can which eventually can become a stack, then build Burners around that can so I can just ctrl-click logs then ctrl-click them form my inventory into each Burner. Basic ideas is you eliminate as much hand-banging and as many inventory-management clicks as possible.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Early on I use a workbench to convert the leaves, wood and carapaces into biomass by hand, then dump it all in one container feeding a constructor that will happily chug along in the background converting it to solid fuel.

Alien carapaces make a good renewable and quick-to-collect fuel source, especially when you have the rebar gun. One bolt as it approaches you and then a single zap to finish it off as it reaches you.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I eventually set up a small factory with a single input container and two output containers. Into the input container goes wood, leaves, and alien carapaces (I think, its either that or organs, whichever one can't be used for inhalers. I also don't make mushrooms into biomass, it's more useful for inhalers), a smart splitter sorts those out and directs them to one constructor each, and the output of those three get merged and then split into two again. One of those two goes to a storage container in case I need normal biomass, the other gets made into solid biofuel.

I really hated running across the occasional recipe needing biomass and only having solid biofuel. That and another small factory I have making explosive charges, beacons, and rifle ammo have been little things I've made to eliminate irritating occasional needs.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah a smart splitter in my standard thing will allow me to automate cloth, nothing made with cloth needs to have more than one stack on hand so I use machine storage for those.

Also, only a coward doesn’t trust their ability to reload and fire again, to get the gently caress pig kill!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I've never bothered to automate fabric before getting polyester and making it really automated. Because before the rad suit, what do you really need tons of cloth for? Parachutes are silly, and gas filters for the fart clouds are not a big demand. You need them, but a stack or two will last forever unless you decide to build stuff *inside* the poison.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LonsomeSon posted:

Also, only a coward doesn’t trust their ability to reload and fire again, to get the gently caress pig kill!

It's more of a timing/rhythm thing. Fire, reload while it recovers and charges again, switch to zapper, poke it as it reaches you, switch to rebar gun, choose a new victim.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

GotLag posted:

It's more of a timing/rhythm thing. Fire, reload while it recovers and charges again, switch to zapper, poke it as it reaches you, switch to rebar gun, choose a new victim.

Having several stacks of explosives for when I get really irritated at one is handy too.

For the biomass, it got frustrating to go find enough trees/bushes to cut down to craft more to make filters or something when I already had a solid biomass setup, especially since it was on as a side job for some other project. Just putting a splitter before the solid biomass constructor solved the problem.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

boxen posted:

Having several stacks of explosives for when I get really irritated at one is handy too.

For the biomass, it got frustrating to go find enough trees/bushes to cut down to craft more to make filters or something when I already had a solid biomass setup, especially since it was on as a side job for some other project. Just putting a splitter before the solid biomass constructor solved the problem.

Precisely, split off to a cloth machine, which eventually will feed a filter machine and then back up.

Parachutes, lol. As if I’d give up legs until I got a jetpack

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I spent like two hours trying to unfuck my spaghetti and this neat three iron nook has been helpful. I'll probably need to redesign again soon once I have more materials, but for now these stacked conveyor belts are very nice.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
that didn't last long

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Thumbtacks posted:

that didn't last long

embrace the spaghetti

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GotLag posted:

Alien carapaces make a good renewable and quick-to-collect fuel source, especially when you have the rebar gun. One bolt as it approaches you and then a single zap to finish it off as it reaches you.
Eh, I should have built the gun earlier, I've been running around with the bigger Xeno basher, and it proves quite insufficient trying to whack the bigger mobs heading into the upper green sulfur land.

I have the rifle now, but shot it only once against those fireflies so far. :[

Also, it'd be nice if you could make blueprints of factory blocks, for easier replication of things.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I tried out the gun and the rifle for a minute but ended up only using the long zapper the entire game. They do too little damage to be worth the inventory slots for ammo.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I tried out the gun and the rifle for a minute but ended up only using the long zapper the entire game. They do too little damage to be worth the inventory slots for ammo.

The thing that annoys me is that automating rifle ammo needs two separate manufacturers, one for the beacon and one for the ammo itself.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
You guys don’t just throw bombs wildly across the map? Why use guns or sticks when you have explosions?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The rifle is fantastic for taking out the little flying crab enemies from outside their aggro range. It has a generous enough hitbox to snipe them pretty easily.

It's also pretty good for taking out big spitters but they can soak up a full clip before they die so it's not the most economical way to deal with them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The rifle is for shooting spiders cause gently caress getting close to those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Im surprised there is no power option between biofuel and coal. Sure its easy to get it up and running, but i dont have all the unlocks in place to make the coal area nice and its too ingrained to take it apart and redo it.

I (stupidly?) went for the rifle this playthrough, and it is god drat annoying to keep it loaded, but its my go to for the boss spitter/spider/lion. I wish there was more of a reaction when it hits so I can tell its working vs just burning ammo

...Also something to bridge the gap of jetpack vs blade runners. I really need the quick movement